Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2122354 - 07/24/13 02:13 PM What level is this piece?
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
Just wondering. One of the arrangements of Wreck-It Ralph.

Many thanks

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2122420 - 07/24/13 04:28 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I won't give you a level, but I will tell you that you have to subdivide because of the 16ths, and you have to master that syncopation.

And the piece will sound pretty awful if it is down-tempo. I would only go over this with a pretty advanced student. There are problems...

#2122435 - 07/24/13 04:59 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: Gary D.]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
As Gary well states . . .

I'd probably not consider it until a student reached at least Int F on the Guild scale, and probably more likely Prep A.

#2122479 - 07/24/13 07:08 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Rhythm is about Level 5 and up in Certificate of Merit standard. However, notes are relatively easy, probably about Level 2 because there are no big chords or more than three notes at the same time.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2122570 - 07/24/13 11:16 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: ezpiano.org]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
Rhythm is about Level 5 and up in Certificate of Merit standard. However, notes are relatively easy, probably about Level 2 because there are no big chords or more than three notes at the same time.

It's really a rhythm issue more than anything else; as you say, notes are relatively easy. That's what makes grading this perplexing. Some students can grasp the rhythm with hardly a bother, and others will struggle on and on with it.

#2122765 - 07/25/13 11:47 AM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
My CM Level 9 students will have a hard time with this piece. I've taught maybe three or four students who can play complicated, syncopated rhythms like this without a problem. And they are really, really advanced students.

You actually can find this level of subdivision quite a bit in Bach and slow Mozart/Haydn pieces, but those are likely Level 10 as well.

#2122875 - 07/25/13 04:08 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
The Monkeys Offline

Many thanks for the responses.

This is a continuation of my
previous post.

First let me say that I have no intention to interfere with the teaching. This is entirely for my own education and curiosity as a parent.

This is one of the outside piece the teacher assigned to my son, a 9 year old yet to complete Piano Adventure 3A, not an advanced student by any stretch. And rhythm, from my parental observation, is one of his weakest link, he has problems to maintain a steady rhythm and tend to rush. And perhaps a bigger problem is, he doesn't realize the problem frown

The piece that triggered my previous post also contains off-beat notes. The boy struggled mightily. More to it, the teacher was away for one week, and we were sick the following week. The boy was on his own for 3 weeks. He managed to play through it, barely, when he saw the teacher. The struggle was quite painful for me to listen to, and I don't think it was fun for him. I have to say that he was quite happy at the end when he finally played through it, even though it was no where near polished.

This time, the teacher ask him not to advance on his own and teaching him measure by measure during the lesson time. Yesterday was the second lesson on this, they are halfway through the 3 page piece. With more guidance, it doesn't seem be to as painful as last time, but still very hard.

I will see how it goes, but I won't hold my breath for him to "polish" the piece.

My questions are: Do you assign pieces to a student that is way above his/her current playing level? If you do, what is your purpose? What is your expectation?

Perhaps my bigger question is : if you let a student move on before he can play a piece reasonably well, do you find it discourages the student or affects the student's attitude towards work ethic?

#2122882 - 07/25/13 04:28 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

For a kid who's still in Piano Adventures 3A, this Wreck-It Ralph piece will be sheer torture. If he's going to learn the piece measure-by-measure, it will take him four years to finish this piece. And I'm not kidding.

I don't tend to assign a piece that's more than 3 or 4 levels above the student's current level. I do it occasionally to "stretch" the student, and it has helped in a few cases (e.g., I've given a Bach Fugue to a girl in Level 5, and it really helped her with contrapuntal playing). But I would never give a piece that 8+ levels above what the kid can do. That's just cruel.

#2122885 - 07/25/13 04:33 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: The Monkeys
My questions are: Do you assign pieces to a student that is way above his/her current playing level? If you do, what is your purpose? What is your expectation?

Perhaps my bigger question is : if you let a student move on before he can play a piece reasonably well, do you find it discourages the student or affects the student's attitude towards work ethic?

Do you recall Aesop's Fable of the Tortoise and the Hare? It would seem that the moral of this fable applies to piano students as well. So, to answer your first question, no. It's counterproductive and wastes the student's time and is frustrating for both student and teacher. And the answer to your second question is also a "no." I find that there are a lot of skills developed in the polishing process, skills which a student needs if they're are going to play advanced music with any degree of polish.

#2122891 - 07/25/13 04:44 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Reading this, there is a bit of a conflict. The child's teacher has assigned the piece, the parent is seeing a struggle, the teachers here are unanimous in their concern.... but the child's teacher has assigned the piece. So what is to be done?

#2122913 - 07/25/13 05:26 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: AZNpiano]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
For a kid who's still in Piano Adventures 3A, this Wreck-It Ralph piece will be sheer torture. If he's going to learn the piece measure-by-measure, it will take him four years to finish this piece. And I'm not kidding.

Giving that piece to a 3A student to me is beyond insane. Talk about wasting time and killing the development of reading!

#2122946 - 07/25/13 06:37 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: keystring]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
Reading this, there is a bit of a conflict. The child's teacher has assigned the piece, the parent is seeing a struggle, the teachers here are unanimous in their concern.... but the child's teacher has assigned the piece. So what is to be done?

Sometimes I give an exceptional student a stretch piece just to see what they can accomplish. Did this last Fall with two students. One of them was seriously struggling after a valiant attempt. So, we just dropped it. In this case, the parent might mention to the teacher, nonconfrontationally, that the student is really struggling and would it be possible to set it aside for a while. The teacher might be worried about losing face and this would provide them an out.

#2122971 - 07/25/13 07:22 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted By: keystring

Sometimes I give an exceptional student a stretch piece just to see what they can accomplish. Did this last Fall with two students. One of them was seriously struggling after a valiant attempt. So, we just dropped it. In this case, the parent might mention to the teacher, nonconfrontationally, that the student is really struggling and would it be possible to set it aside for a while. The teacher might be worried about losing face and this would provide them an out.

John said what I wanted to say, but more elegantly.

f

But...seriously...that Wreck-It Ralph piece should not be assigned to any kid who is still in method books!

#2124932 - 07/29/13 05:35 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: Gary D.]
The Monkeys Offline

Originally Posted By: Gary D.

Giving that piece to a 3A student to me is beyond insane. Talk about wasting time and killing the development of reading!

How does it kill the development of reading?

#2125043 - 07/29/13 11:01 PM Re: What level is this piece? [Re: The Monkeys]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: The Monkeys
Originally Posted By: Gary D.

How does it kill the development of reading?

I have no idea. One piece isn't going to kill the development of anything. The only way it's a problem is if the student ignores everything else on their assignment or if the teacher spends an enormous amount of time on it in the lesson.

That being said, it's unlikely that a student in Level 3 of a method series will be able to play the piece well within a reasonable time frame, but as long as the rest of their training isn't ignored, I don't see any harm in giving it a try. Worst case scenario, their arms get sore from forcing the technique and you have to put it away and rest for a week. Best case scenario, they get energized about learning the rhythms and technique, actually pull it off and learn a lot in the process.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, Alan F, 42 invisible), 1609 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157890 Topics
2318849 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission