2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
That's a bold claim grin Sorry, thank you; I'll stop being a ribbon in the wind now and, likely, start fussing over something else...pfft laugh I greatly look forward to hearing all of you play; especially if you manage to bring a similar degree of sensitivity as was afforded in the Unsung Heroes...thingy laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Adding D. S. F. to the list:

Orange Soda King:
-Barcarolles, complete (Op. 38, 65, 67, 70, Esquisse Op. 63, No. 12 "Barcarollette" )
-Various Preludes, Esquisses, Chants, and Impromptus (to be decided upon later)
-Etudes Op. 35 Nos. 3, 5 (I'm gonna ditch 11 for now)

WinsomeAllegretto:
-Prelude in A flat minor Op. 31, No. 8 "La chanson de la folle au bord de la mer"

Dwscamel:
-Esquisse Op. 63, No. 8 "Pseudo-Naivete"

wr:
-Menuet Op. 51, No. 2

Alkanaut:
-Barcarolle Op. 65, No. 6

Sorcerer88:
-Troisième recueil de chants Op. 65
II. Espirits follets, prestissimo
III. Canon
V. Horace et Lydie

MarkH
-Le Tambour bat aux champs (Esquisse) Op. 50bis.

kapelli
-Petites Fantaisie Op. 41, No. 1

D. S. F.
-Concerto for Solo Piano Op. 39 Nos. 8-10 (wow!)
-Grande Sonate Op. 33, III. 40 ans

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I would like to participate, however am not familiar with Alkan. I've just ordered a copy of the 25 preludes and will choose something from there once it arrives.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LadyChen
I would like to participate, however am not familiar with Alkan. I've just ordered a copy of the 25 preludes and will choose something from there once it arrives.

Wonderful!! I'm sure you will find something you like. smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Me too, but the shipping time is going to be 3-4 weeks frown.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LadyChen
Me too, but the shipping time is going to be 3-4 weeks frown.

In the meantime, browse from IMSLP. The edition you bought is probably better than what's on IMSLP, but you can get a good taste there. You can also listen to them on YouTube or maybe Spotify. Laurent Martin and Olli Mustonen both have good recordings of them.

M
M
Nobody going to try Le Preux? I pray every day the MAH will record it!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Honestly, it's not my favorite work by Alkan. It does paint the picture of a knight very well and vividly, but it's rather four-square in my opinion. But if anybody wants to play it, more power to them. smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
My book shipped and should be here next week! Now if only I had a piano (the action is being rebuilt)...

But I will definitely spend some time reading through the preludes on the piano at my church! Can't wait! (I love reading new music.. practicing, not so much.)

R
R
I don't know whether I should volunteer to play the Minuet op 39 no 6. I have been practicing for some time now, and still have not gotten it up to an acceptable standard. Alkan's pieces are really quite difficult.

I could also pick the Salut de cendre but I'm just intimidated by all those arpeggiations at the end. Any tips to pull this off successfully?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Does anyone know what the exact deadline is? I'll probably be doing some recording before then and am considering commitment to an Alkan work which can be included. To use some of the time to record Alkan I'll need to know in advance if not taking heed of how the work is normally made to sound and not keeping to the details of the music as published are issues that could result in exclusion.

(as with not entering piano competitions as a teenager, there would have been no reason to prepare recordings and pay a $50 fee just to be told that the interpretations and tempos are unconventional, please try again next year!)

M.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Michael; I've been given the go ahead, so I'm really quite sure you shall too laugh OSK is rather...forgiving in those aspects; he doesn't believe it's up to him to tell others how to play....so...um...it'll be fine? laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Deadline? How about November 25.

The Menuet is difficult... Gotta practice those octaves and leaps slowly!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks FSO and OSK! Now MJS will need to go through a lot of Op. and no. designations to make a decision.

Having had harsh experiences with professional musicians in the past I needed to ask about the interpretative side of things . . .

M.

R
R
Ok then, I'll be playing Menuet op 39 no 6. The most difficult part for me is not really the octaves, but the part in the Trio where it is marked "delicatamente". The notes from then on are most confusing. I'll still give it a try though.

Renjer #2143195 09/03/13 12:55 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Renjer
Ok then, I'll be playing Menuet op 39 no 6. The most difficult part for me is not really the octaves, but the part in the Trio where it is marked "delicatamente". The notes from then on are most confusing. I'll still give it a try though.

If you do the Op. 39 No. 6 and I do the Allegro moderato (Op. 39 No. 4) that would only leave two movements of the Symphony needing to be done . . . I played through it this morning but can't commit until there are some details about when/where I'll be recording going forward and how frequently (every Saturday would be nice but I don't want to wear out my welcome as the kyrka patiently waits for a recital!).

I am sure you can manage the delicatamente section . . . it is almost three months between now and Nov 25, and this isn't a competition, it is for purely personal enjoyment, so things don't have to be perfect smile

One can just chart the available practice hours for it, count the bars and allocate them for the days and weeks and really focus in. If something isn't perfect this is okay!

M.

R
R
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers

If you do the Op. 39 No. 6 and I do the Allegro moderato (Op. 39 No. 4) that would only leave two movements of the Symphony needing to be done . . . I played through it this morning but can't commit until there are some details about when/where I'll be recording going forward and how frequently (every Saturday would be nice but I don't want to wear out my welcome as the kyrka patiently waits for a recital!).

I look forward to hearing your version of Allegro moderato. I have actually tried playing this but can't get past the part where the music suddenly changes into all those semiquavers in the right hand (bar 151 onwards).

I've actually also attempted op39 no 5 before but I just could not play the staccatos and at the same time having to bring out the melody. The piece looks easy on the surface until I actually attempt it. And Finale op 39 no 7 looks really difficult due to the fast tempo.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I would love to learn Alkan's chant op 38 1 in e but i don't think the tendonitis in my wrists will allow me to finish it by November.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hmm.. Is there another piece by him that would be less stress that you could play? Sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope it gets better soon.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
It's been about eight months now so i don't see it getting better anytime soon! perhaps i can learn something of Alkan in time, i'll have to find a piece to play. I've always been a tad apprehensive about posting music on pianoworld because people usually like to tell you how bad you are and what you're doing wrong! But i suppose a simple Alkan recital can't hurt and the poor guy could certainly do with the recognition!!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission