2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by StarvingLion

The public likes romantic works with an orchestral background. Frankly, my intention is to be a cheap Chopin imitator and use his formula to produce 3 more Chopinistic concertos. The days of idealism are over. What have the clowns in the conservatories and university produced?

You're right; nobody cares about integrity in music. Let's just worry only about the public and make money. laugh

In fact, forget Chopin all together, let's do something more radical!! Like this genius:

Yes, true genius. sick After gutting the piece of all of its technical difficulties, he seems to think his glissandi qualify him as a virtuoso and will win over the audience. Sadly, he seems to have been correct. How in the h*ll did you ever dig up this clown????

Last edited by Old Man; 07/25/13 01:08 PM.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by StarvingLion

The public likes romantic works with an orchestral background. Frankly, my intention is to be a cheap Chopin imitator and use his formula to produce 3 more Chopinistic concertos. The days of idealism are over. What have the clowns in the conservatories and university produced?

You're right; nobody cares about integrity in music. Let's just worry only about the public and make money. laugh

In fact, forget Chopin all together, let's do something more radical!! Like this genius:

What's the name of that tune?!?! wink wow

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Might as well play the concerto game while I'm here. I don't have a vast collection, and not many duplicates, so I'll mention the versions I have.

1. Brahms 2 - Serkin
2. Brahms 1 - Serkin
3. Bach 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6, 3 - Gould (hey, whadya mean, "cheating"? grin )
4. Chopin 1 - Ax
5. Rachmaninoff 2 - Bronfman
6. Beethoven 4 - Uchida
7. Saint-Saens 4 - Entremont
8. Rachmaninoff 3 - Bronfman
9. Liszt Totentanz - Zimerman (Not my favorite version. My long gone vinyl of Brailowsky was far better.)
10. Schumann - Serkin

Last edited by Old Man; 07/25/13 01:58 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Old Man, I have Saint-Saens 4 (along with 2) on vinyl record with Entremont playing. Absolutely stellar!! I highly recommend his Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, too. smile

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Some concertos I'd definitely put in the top 10: Mozart 20, Beethoven 4 + 5, Brahms 1 +2 , Chopin 2, Rachmaninoff 2 + 3.

Last edited by Polyphonist; 07/25/13 05:36 PM.

Regards,

Polyphonist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Good call with Chopin 2! I personally do prefer it over the first, and even though I made a little slight at both concertos above, I do think they're beautiful and wonderful pieces!

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Old Man, I have Saint-Saens 4 (along with 2) on vinyl record with Entremont playing. Absolutely stellar!! I highly recommend his Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, too. smile

Yep, I know that Saint-Saens album well. My dad had that one, with P.E.'s face on the cover, back in his stud muffin days. I immediately fell in love with No.2, probably because of that dramatic piano introduction, but I pretty much ignored No. 4. But as I grew older, I started listening to 4, and realized that this was really the superior concerto (IMHO). I also became quite an Entremont fan. He always had plenty of power and played so cleanly, like Horowitz and Gutierrez. I've never read much about him on this forum, however.

I'll have to check out the Rach Rhapsody, because his Rach 2 with Bernstein (also from the 60s) is quite unique. Probably the slowest version of Rach 2 I've ever heard. You can't tell it from the opening chords, but as soon as the orchestra joins in and you hear the bass notes from the piano, you realize that Philippe and Lenny are moving at a snail's pace. But surprisingly that version grew on me too, and I would enjoy hearing it again today.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Good call with Chopin 2! I personally do prefer it over the first, and even though I made a little slight at both concertos above, I do think they're beautiful and wonderful pieces!

What do you mean "both concertos above" - I listed eight, didn't I?

Regards,

Polyphonist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

What do you mean "both concertos above" - I listed eight, didn't I?

I meant in an earlier post that I made, regarding both piano concertos. I commented how I didn't always prefer the "piano being the star of the show while orchestra just tags along for the ride" aspect of some piano concertos.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If your list doesn't have Saint-Saens 2, it sucks.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

Uh-oh... I'm in trouble! laugh

I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music. I much prefer the delightful music. Check his "Serenade d'hiver." Sang it in choir last year, and it was a BLAST. Gives me the same joy I get whenever listening to PC Nos. 4 and 5.

But I guess the second is popular for reasons, most notably, Rubinstein? On my Entremont record, it states that the 4th concerto is more popular than the 2nd, so that must have been at the time of the recording... Sad that it fell out of fashion. frown

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lol... I've only listened to three concertos... Rach 2 and 3 and Tchaikovsky 1. I'm a classical music newbie, so I guess I'll give some of the popular ones in these lists a listen.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Uh-oh... I'm in trouble! laugh

And think of how much trouble I'd be in if I said, in paging through this thread, that several lists 'suck' because of certain concertos they do contain. wink

I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music.

'Dark'? Maybe on the surface of the 1st movement, but to borrow a cliche, its darkness is only skin deep!

Jason
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

Well, for many years I would have agreed. And I still love it. Just not quite as much as Saint-Saens 4.

Would #10.a do it? smile (I also have 10.b thru 10.z available).

S
S
My favorite recordings of the 10 concerti I listed.
Rachmaninoff 3 - Grigory Sokolov (Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra, Gergiev)
Brahms 1 - Grigory Sokolov (Frankfurt Radio Symphony, Wolff)
Brahms 2 - Grigory Sokolov (Hungarian National Symphony, Jia)
Rachmaninoff 2 - Grigory Sokolov (Montreal Symphony, Dutoit)
Tchaikovsky 1 - Van Cliburn (Moscow State Philharmonic, Kondrashian)
Beethoven 5 - Krystian Zimerman (Vienna Philharmonic, Bernstein)
Beethoven 4 - Wilhelm Backhaus (Vienna Symphoniker, Bohm)
Chopin 1 - Krystian Zimerman (Polish Festival Orchestra, Zimerman)
Chopin 2 - Dang Thai Son (Orchestra of 18th Century, Bruggen)
Mozart 27 - Mitsuko Uchida (English Chamber Orchestra, Tate)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Old Man

Well, for many years I would have agreed. And I still love it. Just not quite as much as Saint-Saens 4.

I admit I have only heard #2. So forgive me if that's like saying Chopin's best ballade is the first. I MUST delve into S-S. I've heard three of his works and each are fantastic. I'm thinking he's going to rank in my top tier of favorite composers. I can feel it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Old Man

I admit I have only heard #2. So forgive me if that's like saying Chopin's best ballade is the first. I MUST delve into S-S. I've heard three of his works and each are fantastic. I'm thinking he's going to rank in my top tier of favorite composers. I can feel it.

Holy cow, you HAVE to hear the 4th concerto, 5th concerto, and Africa!! smile The 1st and 3rd are nice, but don't quite do it as much for me.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music.

'Dark'? Maybe on the surface of the 1st movement, but to borrow a cliche, its darkness is only skin deep!

Exactly! It's not really dark past the surface, and the drama in it doesn't seem that powerful/convincing to me...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

So can I.

OSK will back me up. S-S 5 is a very fine piece of music, magnificently written.

Jason
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Poulenc, Mozart, Stravinsky, Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals, the three J. S. Bach, some C. P. E. Bach, W. F. Bach, Liszt Concert Pathetique are among the best for concertos two pianos. Some of those do not have orchestra parts. You could also toss in Soler's concertos for two organs.

Semipro Tech
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission