Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2123114 - 07/26/13 01:55 AM Performance Anxiety
pianorigami Offline

Loc: United States
I'm a 15 year old piano student who suffers immensely from performance anxiety. Every time I go up to perform, my mom says I look confident and ready, but I can't help but tell myself I'm not. I practice enough (4-6 hours when I can, 2-3 on school nights), but when I sit down and start to play, I feel out of control. It's like my fingers are moving, but I can't decide what they do. Light hits my eyes funnily, and I feel like I've just hit fast-forward. I try to reign myself in, but then I lose what little focus I have. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting "in the moment" and stopping myself from having negative thoughts about my abilities? I will readily supply other information if it will help! Thanks so much.
3) Prokofiev Sonata Op. 83
4) Bach Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, WTC II
5) Grieg Concerto, Op. 16
6) Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 no. 3
7) Debussy Images, Book I

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2123130 - 07/26/13 02:45 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I think that this might get better with practice and with the right amount of good old competition (even if inside your head). What helped me when I was much younger was this ugly/awful idea that: "Ha! I'll do better than him/her! I'll make NO mistakes, and I'll show them! Maybe I'll also find a girlfriend this way..." grin

Honestly though, I think that the more public performances you do (even if it's for your family, or friends, or party) the better you'll do.

#2123147 - 07/26/13 03:40 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Shaylee Offline

Hi! I completely know how you feel. I will write some things that helped me.

I think, this issue has something to do with confidence. So it's important to be yourself. Don't compare yourself to others. You play because you love it, if someone don't want to listen to your playing, they can go away or hold their ears, nobody forces them to be there. If you fail something it's not something unusual, it happens quite often. Everybody can think what they want, there is always someone who will criticize everything and everybody. For you it's important to feel well and play, because of music and your love for it :-)

Practise as well as you can, be sure you can start piece on many many places (that really helped me), so if you get lost, you should start few bars later (just the feeling you can do it helps with nervousness).

When you are playing try to listen as carefully as you can (because the hand knows where to move and can do it automatically, just brain is creating negative thoughts about how you don't know whats next eg.). Focusing on music and feeling it takes away negative thoughts - there is no time for them!!!

And every slip can be very helpful, you'll find why it happened (I often didnt know what is in left hand) , so everything that seems negative will move you further and helps you to become better pianist! So there's nothing to be afraid of!!!

#2123295 - 07/26/13 11:57 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
With the idea of "practice" in mind, you should "practice performing" before others as much as you possibly can. Gather sympathetic family and friends around you - in smaller groups at first - and play as often as you can snag an audience, whatever the size.

The more experience you get playing before an audience, the more relaxed you become, the more you can concentrate on actually making good music, and, consequently, the better performer you become.

Regards,

#2123309 - 07/26/13 12:42 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
It sounds like you might be a good candidate for concentrated slow practice. Play your pieces so slowly that you have to focus on everything that you do to hold them together musically. Do that several times, and then gradually play them faster and faster, but be sure to maintain that focus.

#2123348 - 07/26/13 01:59 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: pianorigami
I'm a 15 year old piano student who suffers immensely from performance anxiety. Every time I go up to perform, my mom says I look confident and ready, but I can't help but tell myself I'm not. I practice enough (4-6 hours when I can, 2-3 on school nights), but when I sit down and start to play, I feel out of control. It's like my fingers are moving, but I can't decide what they do. Light hits my eyes funnily, and I feel like I've just hit fast-forward. I try to reign myself in, but then I lose what little focus I have. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting "in the moment" and stopping myself from having negative thoughts about my abilities? I will readily supply other information if it will help! Thanks so much.

It sounds as if you are at that place where trust is an issue: You don't trust yourself to do what you know how to do. Developing this self trust comes with experience, but there are specific steps you can take. If most of your practicing consists of playing at tempo, then change that to practicing mostly under tempo. For many pianists, playing from memory is a major anxiety factor. So, take away most of the digital memory by playing so very slowly that you can think of the next notes before you play them and then play them deliberately. We rely on digital memory in speed, of course, but constant repetition in speed sends the other types of memory—aural, visual, intellectual—further into the unconscious. By reinforcing the other memories, you will be able to say to your yourself, yes, I know this piece. I call this giving ourselves permission to do what we know.

I know it's easier said than done, but try to find a still point in your mind before you walk on stage. I call it a safe house. In this place I can control my breathing, which I do by deliberately concentrating on it, taking deep, slow breaths. This will help slow your pulse and increase the chances of finding the right tempos, reducing that feeling of being out of control. Next, I transfer that focus to the first piece. What is the mood and what does it feel like to play the opening notes? Every pianist is unique. You will find your way. In the meantime, I hope the suggestions in the forum are helpful.

Here is a link to some golden rules for dealing with anxiety:
http://www.davidleisner.com/guitarcomposer/noname.html

#2123380 - 07/26/13 03:30 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
pianorigami Offline

Thank you all so much for your amazing advice!
I definitely practice under tempo, but I've never gone SUPER slow. I can't wait to try that! I actually just "performed" a Chopin Etude for a family friend (just her alone), and still felt out of control! It was rather disappointing; but I'll incorporate mindfulness and breathing exercises along with your practice tips. If you have any more, I'm always open smile
~Pianorigami

#2123458 - 07/26/13 06:25 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
You can probably work your way up:

1 - being able to play well for yourself
2 - being able to play well for your teacher
3 - being able to play well for a friend
4 - being able to play well for a group of friends
5 - being able to play well for a group of people you don't know in a casual setting

and then there's more stressful performances:

6 - performing and recording yourself
7 - performing for an adjudicator for an audition/competition
8 - performing for a large audience in a formal setting

Which of these are a problem for you?
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2123495 - 07/26/13 07:45 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Kuanpiano]
Luthrin Offline

Loc: UK
One thing I would add to the excellent advice above is to consider your choice of repertoire.

Obviously this isn't always something under your own control, but to expand on Bruce's suggestion of performing frequently in front of sympathetic listeners, when you do this try to identify pieces that you feel particularly comfortable with. This is very much a personal thing – maybe it relates to ease of memorisation, the dynamics of the piece when playing under pressure, the ability to recover from errors, the exposure of the performer (e.g. when playing Mozart), and so on.

In effect you're trying to load the dice in your favour, and each successful performance with your 'best bets' in front of an audience will increase your confidence level and ease your path to playing more challenging (for you) performance pieces.

#2123507 - 07/26/13 07:56 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Kuanpiano]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
You can probably work your way up:

1 - being able to play well for yourself
2 - being able to play well for your teacher
3 - being able to play well for a friend
4 - being able to play well for a group of friends
5 - being able to play well for a group of people you don't know in a casual setting

and then there's more stressful performances:

6 - performing and recording yourself
7 - performing for an adjudicator for an audition/competition
8 - performing for a large audience in a formal setting

Which of these are a problem for you?

Someday I'll reach level two!

#2123533 - 07/26/13 08:54 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Whizbang]
Ahmediy Offline

I am up to Kuanpiano's level 5 so I cannot help much.
Other posts are good and I agree much with Luthrin.
When I love a piece and enjoy it I always play better for a crowd then when I do not love the piece.

#2123534 - 07/26/13 09:03 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Play in a piano store!

#2123577 - 07/26/13 10:54 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
On that feeling of being 'out of control' in performance: I think that it can sometimes be helpful to embrace that feeling. You will feel different when performing and won't have the same type of controlled feeling that you have in practice. A lot of performance involves letting go and allowing your body and mind to do what they've learned to do, without self-censoring and criticism.

This is not so easy, of course. You might find the exercises in Kenny Werner's book Effortless Mastery to be helpful.

(I'm not an advanced pianist but have lots of experience with performance anxiety!)

Personally, my best performances have come from a state of detachment that is probably the closest I'll ever come to an out-of-body experience. Wonderful (for me, and I hope nice for others) but very far from a feeling of being in control!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2123600 - 07/27/13 12:07 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
It's all about focus. And breathing deeply, especially before going on stage. And focusing!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. I struggle with it too, but that's the vital part.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2123601 - 07/27/13 12:07 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
This may not be your cup of tea, but try going into a performance expecting mistakes. Expect them and accept them, beforehand. If you do make some mistakes, so be it. You're okay. But if your performance was totally clean, think of how satisfying it would be.

#2123604 - 07/27/13 12:11 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Depends on the piece too. I recently performed Ondine (which I recently learned) and was nervous as heck, and then followed up with Widmung (which I've performed several times) which felt so comfortable.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2123607 - 07/27/13 12:16 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
This may not be your cup of tea, but try going into a performance expecting mistakes. Expect them and accept them, beforehand. If you do make some mistakes, so be it. You're okay.

this too!!!!!!!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2123638 - 07/27/13 02:22 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
One obvious thought is to discuss this issue with your teacher. If you are uncomfortable with this, or your teacher's responses are unhelpful, you might consider doing some outside coaching on performance anxiety. Could be with another music teacher, could be with a drama teacher, could be with an athletic coach, could be with a psychotherapist. Could be with any mentor you trust.

You might also explore the world of meditation.

My guess,however, is that these thoughts are *not* crippling your playing as much as you think. So as others have said, you might try try the path of acceptance. Just keep playing for others.

#2123642 - 07/27/13 03:09 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Kuanpiano]
pianorigami Offline

I would say that 1-4 are fine, as well as 8 (if the stage is light but everything else is dark). However, 5-7 are hard for me.

#2123643 - 07/27/13 03:10 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: JoelW]
pianorigami Offline

I honestly don't think I even want to do that. I feel like that's telling myself I'm not good enough to be happy with my performance, so I need to lower my standards, you know? smirk
But thanks- any advice is advice, and I appreciate it smile

#2123644 - 07/27/13 03:11 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Peter K. Mose]
pianorigami Offline

Thanks for the kind words! smile

#2123647 - 07/27/13 03:18 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I honestly don't think I even want to do that. I feel like that's telling myself I'm not good enough to be happy with my performance, so I need to lower my standards, you know? smirk
But thanks- any advice is advice, and I appreciate it smile

No problem.

But if I may try to persuade a little: even the pro's make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes on stage. I'd say it's a healthy thing to accept that you might make mistakes. It's only being practical, and human!. smile

"I don't want perfect; I am Horowitz, not Heifetz."

"Perfection in itself is imperfection."

~ V. Horowitz

#2123650 - 07/27/13 03:25 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: JoelW]
pianorigami Offline

[quote=But if I may try to persuade a little: even the pro's make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes on stage. I'd say it's a healthy thing to accept that you might make mistakes][/quote]

I don't think I did the "quote" feature correctly...
That is very true- I don't really care about finger slips, but memory lapses and technical issues that I only have due to my stress really bugs me. Thanks! smile

#2123856 - 07/27/13 04:07 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have addressed this topic before, and I will get the same amount of static that I did then.

Once upon a time, in the middle of my jury, playing the Brahms Op 117 No. 2, I fell apart. I was shaking so hard, I thought I was going to fall off the bench.

Afterwards, I was sharing this with the concert pianist Dickran Atamian, who was studying under John Perry and would go on to win the Naumberg competition.

"Ritchie," as we used to call him, looks at me and says: have you ever taken the drug Inderal." All of the musicians in Europe take it, and it is prescribed for stage fright, WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAVE, YOUNG MAN!!!

So, get yourself to a competent neurologist, not a primary physician, and they will prescribe this non-narcotic, non-addictive drug. A neurologist is crucial because the dosage is different with every person.

Then, a certain amount of time before a performance, you take the Inderal (propranolol), and then you walk out on stage a play a beautiful concert.

If you want to take a more long term approach, Neurofeedback accomplishes much the same thing, but it is very expensive. However, it is a one time thing, and it is permanent.

All of these people who post here have never experienced the true terror you and I have.

What is happening is that your adrenal glands go crazy and there is no immediate way to stop that physiological process by trying to psyche yourself out of it. Once those chemicals are in your bloodstream, the stage fright ensues.

So, get yourself to a good doctor, and get on with what looks to be a very promising career/life. By your repertoire, you appear to be talented way beyond your years.

Enjoy, and you may contact me privately if you want further guidance on this. I have lived your life!

#2123902 - 07/27/13 06:12 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Louis Podesta]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta

All of these people who post here have never experienced the true terror you and I have.

Really!!?? You can tell that based on the short statements that people write here? How do you know the extent to which the other posters have had and dealt with stage fright?

I have had auditions/concerts where my foot shakes uncontrollably on the pedal, my fingers turn to butter, and I completely lose the musical continuity through memory slips. But, I have had other performances where I got into a better mindset before going on stage, and have been fine with it - the performance still wasn't as good as I know I can play, but performances rarely are. Those better performances were also accompanied by prior trials in front of other people, solid memory weeks ahead of time, taking a few deep breaths before starting, and replacing thoughts like "I'm going to show these people I can really play piano" with thoughts like "what can I communicate through music today".

Edited by Arghhh (07/27/13 06:13 PM)

#2123927 - 07/27/13 07:10 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Bluoh Offline

Performance anxiety sucks, but lots of people have it. Once, I forgot to bow for my performance (and I was old enough to know better).

One tip is to practice performing. Practice walking up to the piano, bowing, sitting down and prepping your mind. Then start your program. Do it again and again until it comes without thinking. That's how you guarantee that it happens that way during high-stress situations (like performances).

Recognize what happens when you're performing. Do you think too much? Do you get memory slips? Name them, and try to solve each of them.

These articles might help you:

#2123947 - 07/27/13 08:01 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I will second the inderal - or possibly beta blockers or xanax. I have experimented with both, with noticeably improved performance.

I would also say that this is something that just improves with time, and more performances. You are 15 - probably in high school - and probably only playing onstage solo in scary settings only once or twice a year. I also suffered form debilitating nerves at that age, and I only really improved once I got to a conservatory, and had weekly chances to get up and play for people in intimidating settings.

#2124007 - 07/27/13 10:37 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Arghhh]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Arghhh

Really!!?? You can tell that based on the short statements that people write here? How do you know the extent to which the other posters have had and dealt with stage fright?
[...]

Indeed! Such arrogance!

#2124027 - 07/27/13 11:51 PM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: Louis Podesta]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Wrong. I've vomited before performances many, many times. Have had blurred vision, nausea while playing, shaking, cold hands, suicidal thoughts, you name it. Don't utter ignorant statements, please.

I have taken beta blockers, or "propranolol", and while things do feel differently, it actually tampers with your blood flow, making you ultimately react slower than you would normally do, and your reflexes are slower. When the drug left my system, I actually FELT this enormous rush through my entire body, and for a split second I thought I was going to die. Then, when it was over, I noticed that I could actually feel the blood going through me, in a good way. Can you imagine what it was doing before?? Not to mention you actually NEED that adrenaline - the same adrenaline that the pills are trying to stop. It's completely natural, you just need to learn how to control it and use it to your advantage, because it is essentially energy!!!!!!!!! That you really need!!!

It is perhaps good to take the pills FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, without getting dependent on them, but just to discover the feeling of control that you CAN gain without the medication. It can be a good training tool. However, some people who take them will start noticing unusual tendencies with their bodies - as in, "why is my heart so much steadier than usual before playing" or "why are my hands not shaking like usual", and that would freak them out even more. So be careful who you advise to take them.

Instead, why not try this:

http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/

Excellent website, with an excellent course if you want to go through it. No unnatural pills, just learning how to be in charge of your own body.

Edited by Pogorelich. (07/27/13 11:52 PM)

#2124040 - 07/28/13 12:27 AM Re: Performance Anxiety [Re: pianorigami]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: But if I may try to persuade a little: even the pro's make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes on stage. I'd say it's a healthy thing to accept that you might make mistakes

I don't think I did the "quote" feature correctly...
That is very true- I don't really care about finger slips, but memory lapses and technical issues that I only have due to my stress really bugs me. Thanks! smile

Yes, but EVERYONE has these issues - and knowing that in every performance SOMETHING unexpected will happen really, really helps you overcome it in the moment and not freak out further.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
166 registered (accordeur, 255, *windowlicker*, 36251, A Guy, 58 invisible), 1458 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157143 Topics
2307861 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
Today at 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
Today at 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
Today at 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
Today at 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
Today at 09:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission