Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2120312 - 07/19/13 07:31 PM How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website?
eccp19 Offline

Loc: United States
Hi guys,

This question is similar to my previous question about accepting auto drafts, but do you have any recommendations on how to accept credit/debit cards on your studio website?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2120326 - 07/19/13 08:11 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Paypal
google checkout (I use this)

Edited by ezpiano.org (07/19/13 08:12 PM)
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2120334 - 07/19/13 08:25 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
jsanfilippo5 Offline

You will need a merchant account and a payment gateway account. Authorize.net is very reliable as a gateway. Check out Midwest transaction group, very good rates and can get you all setup for e commerce payments.

#2120345 - 07/19/13 08:42 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I use Paypal on my website but I'm searching for an alternative as some people think they have to have a PP acct to use their service to pay me (which I think they don't).

Would love to hear other suggestions.

#2120524 - 07/20/13 12:04 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Sweet06 Offline

you'll need some software in order to process the payments. If you plan on taking credit/debit card right on your site you'll need like jsan said a merchant account and payment gateway. You can take just paypal if you would like to not do all that, alternatively paypal has a paypal pro method where you a pay a fee and you can have them checkout without leaving your site at all.
If you decide you need a merchant account, they will require your website to have an SSL (the security lockbox you see on your banks website)certificate installed on it before they approve your application.

Theres tons of free shopping cart software out there.

Personally if you wanted to make it easy, paypal is the way to do it. especially if you dont have your own web developer.

#2120552 - 07/20/13 01:30 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: Sweet06]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Sweet06
If you plan on taking credit/debit card right on your site you'll need like jsan said a merchant account and payment gateway.

I am interested in this two ways. One, because having my own business I'd love to give credit card options. 1. Is there an expense involved with a merchant account? 2. Must you be a registered business?

Two, because during the time when my now-adult son was taking lessons, there were months that I was short on money when my customers were late paying me and business was still getting on its feet. If I had been able to use my credit card in those months, it would have been much easier. You can pay off your credit card in the middle of the month if you receive payment in the middle of the month, but you don't want to make your teacher wait until the middle of the month. As a student or parent, credit card options would have helped me.

#2120569 - 07/20/13 02:14 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

To receive credit card in person (not on studio website), try
https://squareup.com/

#2123400 - 07/26/13 04:05 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
eccp19, I have read your post, here:
Loc: United States
Hi guys,

This question is similar to my previous question about accepting auto drafts, but do you have any recommendations on how to accept credit/debit cards on your studio website?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Thank you for your awesome post.

I may over use the word "awesome" in this post.

The internet is awesome beyond description. I don't have a radio, television, just, a tiny shack with a 3 legged piano.

There are many reasons why I do not do business over the internet. When you are connected to the internet, there is know way of knowing who you are connected to, to what country you are connected to. It is awesome - but you know nothing. Why would anyone do business with someone whose name you don't know, you don't know what the person looks and you are going to give them money even though you don't know what country they are in, what business laws they are under or if or not they have a street address. If something went wrong, what country would you start a lawsuit in.

It is just an opener.

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and am currently in remission. At 59, I only knew that people went to hospitals to visit dying people and new babies - else I went to a doctor's office.

I went to a hospital and they diagnosed me as having cancer and gave me a prescription of some pills to take for the month. I picked them up at the hospital pharmacy and took them home. I eventually opened the bag and it said $3,000. I phoned the hospital and told them I didn't have 3,000 dollars for medications. They said that the meds were paid by the government healthcare.

Although I took all the meds for 9 months, they didn't work, the cancer was just the same. The doctors told me that I had to have a bmt - means bone marrow transplant. The meds for the rejection of the transplant cost 45,000 for a couple of months worth of meds. Again, I didn't have any money, I was just a simple office worker.

I looked up bmt on the internet and all I ever read were lots of people who had cancer like me, but the bmt costs 100,000 dollars for I don't know what because I was in hospital for a 30 days and saw doctors twice a week at the hospital outpatients for over a year. The meds I took daily cost 900 dollars for just one med and I was on many meds over the 6 years

I read on the awesome internet when I googled "bmt" that "lots" of people couldn't have the bmt's because their health insurance coverage wouldn't cover it because it was too expensive - 1 month in a hospital bed. And as I pointed out, the meds were thousands of dollars each month - sadly, I read that most of the people die because they can't afford the hospital bill, the doctor's bills, the med bills for the many meds they have to take for many years.

As a humble Canadian, I don't do business on the internet, but I go to the local retailer and pay what ever price is on the item because we all work and pay taxes and some the of taxes cover the costs for cancer meds for Canadians dying of cancer. Life is a priceless gift.

I don't do business over the internet for a million reasons, but I look the clerk in the eyes and say how much does this cost, and I pay whatever they say.

cheers,

#2123419 - 07/26/13 04:53 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Sweet06 Offline

yes, to take credit card payments directly on your website, there is typically a monthly fee. Usually its like 20$ a month + a % of all transactions... you can shop around for the best rates. square is great as well as you dont have to pay monthly fees, but its only for in person and you have to have a smart phone to use the scanner or enter in the card number. I used to build websites for people so thats how I know how this typically works.

#2125808 - 07/31/13 11:24 AM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
UrLicht Offline

Loc: Farmington, UT
Warning - what follows is shameless self-promotion!

I have created a website to help private teachers do just this and a lot more - Privio. You decide how to charge students - flat fee or per lesson (or any other type of calendar event) and create bills. Then students can log in and pay their bill through PayPal. Payments are automatically entered into Privio for you.

We are also working on a new feature, to be released very soon, that lets you take credit cards directly - and automatically (think: keep your customer's card on file and bill it each month) and which does not require a merchant account. If you've ever looked into taking credit cards online, you know how big of a hassle getting a merchant account can be.

Here's the page that talks about our billing system

Alright, I've got that out of my system. Thank you for bearing with me!

-Zach

Edited by UrLicht (07/31/13 11:36 AM)
Edit Reason: Added link

#2125831 - 07/31/13 12:01 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Best wishes with this, Zack. It looks like a fine and helpful product! Also inexpensive.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (07/31/13 12:02 PM)

#2125906 - 07/31/13 02:18 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Zach:
Thank you for your promotion. It looks interesting.
If I am using the automatically credit card payment through your website, how much I am getting? 100% of what my student pay me or I have to give a certain percentage to the software?

Thanks

#2125910 - 07/31/13 02:28 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: ezpiano.org]
UrLicht Offline

We don't add anything to the amount that the credit card processor charges. We use Stripe to do all of the processing (they actually store the credit card number and are completely PCI-DSS compliant) and they charge 2.9% + 30 cents for each transaction (no monthly fees), which by many standards is a very fair price for card processing. They also do a 7 day rolling bank account deposit, meaning you get your money 7 days after the card runs. Compared to other gateways this is a very short time to wait.

All of the features to make the system work are in place, we're just doing some final testing before releasing it.

Thanks for the interest!

-Zach

P.S. I have some coupon codes available for discounts if anyone here is interested.

#2125937 - 07/31/13 03:17 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've used paypal for the last year or two and it works great. My clients do not have to have a paypal account, they simply enter their credit card information. It's well worth the small percentage that it costs.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2126103 - 07/31/13 08:29 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Okanagan Musician Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Despite the fact that many assume they need to log into PayPal (they don't), it still seems to be one of the easier and most cost-effective shopping cart solutions out there.

You could add a small blurb on your website underneath the PayPal link button, that people don't need a PayPal account?
What's the #1 Secret to learning any song on the piano? Discover how to save time practicing!

http://www.takeonlinepianolessons.com

#2126161 - 07/31/13 11:19 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: Okanagan Musician]
UrLicht Offline

Most of the time PayPal is great, but you do need to be aware of their tarnished reputation, mostly stemming from their account freezing practices. It's happened to a lot of people in the past and it seems that the consensus is that you can't do a whole lot about it. Do a quick google search for 'paypal horror stories' and you'll get the idea.

I would recommend if you don't plan on using something like Privio and you want to set up your own payment system that you at least consider Stripe. It's actually really easy to set up payments on your website, it costs the same as PayPal Web Payments Standard, and lots of free/open source shopping cart software integrates with it nowadays. And the best part about Stripe is that I've never had a problem talking to an actual person there. And don't be put off by the fact that they call themselves 'payments for developers' - anyone can use it and their documentation is top-notch.

Of course, I'd like to save you all the trouble of setting it up yourself wink

-Zach

#2126567 - 08/01/13 06:18 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm sure your system is good, but are you supposed to be using the forums for advertising?

#2126574 - 08/01/13 06:32 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: Stanny]
UrLicht Offline

I figured it was ok since it's directly related to the discussion, I made a big disclaimer, and it's not the only reason I post on the forum. Sorry if it bugged you!

#2126581 - 08/01/13 06:44 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#2126605 - 08/01/13 07:38 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Well I don't have a problem with it... others have posted when they've published music books or select works. It's very different from people who register JUST to post ads.

#2127973 - 08/04/13 02:32 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Bluoh Offline

I think it's alright too. He didn't sign up here just to spam with his product. It's no different than announcing that you just wrote a new book or something; we're a community.

#2132753 - 08/14/13 11:21 AM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]

Just mentioning: A new customer would only pay by Paypal, and since it was a small amount I allowed it. I turned my charge of CAD $30 into USD $30. Their payment turned into USD $28.50 (something was deducted from Pp). When I transferred it into my bank account that was converted to CAD $28.80 but what goes into my account of CAD $28.30, because there was another fee. I won't actually have the money in my account for 5 - 7 days. So Paypal deducted a fee twice, once for the original transaction, and once for getting the money into my account.

#2132762 - 08/14/13 11:37 AM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: keystring]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: keystring
Just mentioning: A new customer would only pay by Paypal, and since it was a small amount I allowed it. I turned my charge of CAD $30 into USD $30. Their payment turned into USD $28.50 (something was deducted from Pp). When I transferred it into my bank account that was converted to CAD $28.80 but what goes into my account of CAD $28.30, because there was another fee. I won't actually have the money in my account for 5 - 7 days. So Paypal deducted a fee twice, once for the original transaction, and once for getting the money into my account.
Was the 2nd fee for putting the money in your account, or for having to convert it from USD? I think it may have been the latter, as I've never had a fee other than the initial Paypal fee.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2132766 - 08/14/13 11:47 AM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Sweet06 Offline

Paypal doesn't charge a fee unless you are doing more than a certain amount of business. However, the conversion rate for canadian dollars and USA dollars seems about right in your situation.

#2132767 - 08/14/13 11:48 AM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: Morodiene]

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Was the 2nd fee for putting the money in your account, or for having to convert it from USD? I think it may have been the latter, as I've never had a fee other than the initial Paypal fee.

It might have been the conversion, then.

#2132818 - 08/14/13 01:31 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: Bluoh]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bluoh
I think it's alright too. He didn't sign up here just to spam with his product. It's no different than announcing that you just wrote a new book or something; we're a community.

Yes, I realize that. I've been a member here for quite some time. I think one post is fine, but multiple posts probably warrants helping to pay for advertising.

Per the Forum Rules

ADVERTISING IS NOT ALLOWED!
Please do not use the forums to advertise or promote your business, services, or products.
(Mentioning your business in your signature is ok)

If you are interested in advertising on the Internet's most popular web site, please see our ADVERTISING OPTIONS"

#2132866 - 08/14/13 04:06 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: Sweet06]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Paypal doesn't charge a fee unless you are doing more than a certain amount of business. However, the conversion rate for canadian dollars and USA dollars seems about right in your situation.

Years ago, I sold a single item for some amount that required that I change to a commercial account on PayPal. So I will have a commercial account forever, even though it is all nickel and dime stuff.

#2132925 - 08/14/13 06:58 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: malkin]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Originally Posted By: malkin

Years ago, I sold a single item for some amount that required that I change to a commercial account on PayPal. So I will have a commercial account forever, even though it is all nickel and dime stuff.

You could always open a new, non-commercial account, redo the links, and close the old one.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2132928 - 08/14/13 07:10 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Credit card companies charge a percentage to the merchant, the exact amount depending on the credit card, the nature of the business, and the volume of sales. (American Express tends to charge the most.) My coin dealer hubby, for example, pays between 3 and 7% of the invoice price to the credit card company. Credit cards are also biased in favor of the consumer. If, for example, a family paid for a month's piano lessons with you, but then dropped out after a week and disputed the charge, the credit card company (probably) would refund the family and stick you with the loss.

That being said, so many people like the convenience of paying with credit cards that most merchants decide to accept them.

#2132937 - 08/14/13 07:28 PM Re: How to Accept Debit/Credit Card Payments on your Website? [Re: eccp19]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
If you want to accept credit cards, start with your bank! Most of them have contract with service providers. The thing to avoid is the provider insisting you purchase a way over priced piece of equipment or software. You can often get the hardware you need from someone else at much better pricing. The best part in my case is I have the money often in less than 24 hours for everything except Amex which takes a couple of days longer.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 45 invisible), 1705 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250798 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission