Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2123696 - 07/27/13 08:14 AM The Frozen Hinterlands
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
As the acoustic piano business shrinks, it gets harder and harder for those of us not near a major city to "test-drive" a variety of pianos.

For those out in the frozen hinterlands of piano shopping, what are your best strategies for making sure you buy a piano you really like, rather than a piano you're just settling for?

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2123712 - 07/27/13 08:52 AM Re: The Frozen Hinterlands [Re: Jolly]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Jolly
As the acoustic piano business shrinks, it gets harder and harder for those of us not near a major city to "test-drive" a variety of pianos.

For those out in the frozen hinterlands of piano shopping, what are your best strategies for making sure you buy a piano you really like, rather than a piano you're just settling for?

You’re right… those of us who do not live near major metropolitan areas don’t have a lot of piano stores around. In my area, there is one very small piano store in town. The owner, a lady, is/was (?) a dealer for Young Chang and Story and Clark. She used to keep a few new pianos in stock, a few grands and a few uprights. Now, she doesn’t keep any new pianos at all in stock, but will order one for you, pre-paid, of course. She does keep a few used pianos in her store. Not much to choose from…

In regards to your question, my strategy was to visit the big stores in or near Atlanta, which I did. I saw a few pianos (7’ grands) that were good prospects. One store had an older Yamaha C7 with the keys about as yellow as they can get, but when I sat down and played it a little, I was impressed, in spite of the fact it was old and warn out. The low bass was as good as or better than some of the new 7 footers I had played. So, I set my sights on a pre-owned C7.

Next strategy… since I knew the C7 was a good prospect, I started looking for a used one within my price range everywhere I could… Craigslist is a good place to look as well as eBay, and most all the piano dealers have a web site where they list their used inventory. I happened to see the C7 I have now listed on eBay. I contacted the seller, (a large church just over the Ga line in Tennessee) and talked with them about the piano. I did not bid on the piano on eBay because I had not had a chance to drive up and look at the piano before the auction ended. After the auction ended, I contacted the seller and made arrangements to drive up and look at the piano. In fact, my wife, who is severely disabled and confined to a wheel chair, and I drove up on a Sunday morning and attended the worship service and then looked at the piano afterward. The rest is history.

In all honestly, I was really tempted to buy a piano long distance, sight unseen and unplayed before hand. I come close a few times, but just couldn’t make myself do it… oh yea, that is another strategy of desperation. smile

Rick

#2123725 - 07/27/13 09:36 AM Re: The Frozen Hinterlands [Re: Jolly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
While it isn't exactly London, Paris, or New York, Salt Lake City has pretty good piano options. Still when I finally get around to the next piano if something I want doesn't roll around I wouldn't mind traveling to shop.

In winter at least, it can certainly feel like a frozen hinterland; in summer a different place name comes to mind.

#2123762 - 07/27/13 11:03 AM Re: The Frozen Hinterlands [Re: Jolly]
Jolly Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I think Piano Works in Atlanta does a pretty good job with its video work...I wish more dealers did something like that...record all your grands the same way, record all your verticals the same way, and let prospective customers listen.

No, it doesn't help me rule in pianos, but it helps me rule some out.

Another thing (which I know is hard to do), I wish dealers would list what they have in stock and update that web list at least once a week. It's very disappointing to stop in at a shop, hoping to see a certain piano, and find out the dealer hasn't had one on the floor in a year.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#2123819 - 07/27/13 02:09 PM Re: The Frozen Hinterlands [Re: Jolly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I don't think it is all that difficult to list stock online. Making videos would take a little bit more time, but text would be quick and easy, and adding some pictures wouldn't take much more.

Traditional retail wants people to come in to the store to see the goods, not to shop at home from their computer.

#2123932 - 07/27/13 07:19 PM Re: The Frozen Hinterlands [Re: Jolly]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
If it makes you feel any better, those of us close to a major metro area do not have that many choices either. If you're talking about brand new, outside the Steinway / Yamaha duopoly, the number of authorized dealers narrows significantly. Before the Baldwin implosion, I remember many Baldwin stores as well.

#2123965 - 07/27/13 09:01 PM Re: The Frozen Hinterlands [Re: Jolly]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Jolly:

In German there's an old proverb:

"Was ich nicht weiss, macht mich nicht heiss"

Approximate meaning: "can't get excited if not knowing the difference"

The advantage of being a "hinterlander"...

Norbert wink

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
09/22/14 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
09/22/14 06:37 AM
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
09/22/14 06:01 AM
Who's Online
108 registered (Anne'sson, AndresD, Allard, 36251, 37 invisible), 1180 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157686 Topics
2316119 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission