Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2122504 - 07/24/13 08:26 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
1) how to bill tuition
Per quarter:
• First quarter: July, August, September, I teach 10 weeks
• Second quarter: Oct, Nov, Dec, I teach 12 weeks
• Third quarter: Jan, Feb, March, I teach 12 weeks
• Fourth quarter: April, May, June, I teach 12 weeks

Parents receive invoice four times throughout one year. Parents can choose to pay each invoice with one check, two checks, or three checks.

For example, my fee is $40 per 40 minutes, so in first quarter, invoice stated they should pay $400 in total to cover 10 lessons from July 2013 to September 2013. Then parents can choose to…

1. write one check $400 dated July 1st, 2013; or
2. write two checks $200 each dated July 1st, 2013 and August 15, 2013; or
3. write three checks $133.33 each dated July 1st, August 1st, September 1st, 2013

Yes, at this point, all my parents trust me enough to give me checks in advance up to three months.

2) how to handle students wanting to change their lesson times

With notification of either email or text message 2 hours before lesson time, I give them a credit to schedule a make up lesson. I offer no credit over next month and no refund at all. To select a different time for piano lesson, parents has to DIY online with software name SnapAppointment (it is free!! Check it out!!)

3) how to handle missed lessons

If they missed a lesson without any sort of notification to me, they do not deserve a make up lesson, they have to see that they wasted the tuition money for nothing and I will not give credit forward to next month, no refund and no make up lesson for another time.

I hope this help!!
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2122614 - 07/25/13 01:39 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
rlinkt Online   content

Loc: CA
As a parent, I will run if I see a policy like that.
1) It's too much of a commitment. I don't know what will change in 3 months. Its hard for me to commit for piano lessons a year in advance.
2) Consumer perspective: If you offer a discount for a longer commitment, make sure that there is a substantial difference between the commitment periods, and at least one of them feels like a short term commitment, or no commitment at all. In this case, looking at a long and a very long commitment period, I would feel that I may commit to the long commitment (as opposed to the very long one), but feel that I am being unfairly charged.

My daughter's teacher offers single lesson and 10-lesson packages. That feels about the right amount of commitment to me.

#2122708 - 07/25/13 08:54 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: HelenaHandbasket]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I like your name, Helena! also agree that the complicated contract is off-putting.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2122755 - 07/25/13 11:21 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Do you have a policy on leaving the studio? Students sign up for lessons after an 8-lesson trial period. They are students indefinitely unless we get a 30-day cancellation notice. This way they know they have an out if they need to stop.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2122808 - 07/25/13 01:32 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: purepassion
Swapping is probably not going to work if I'm a traveling teacher. I can't teach one student in city X then go to city Y then go back to city X on the same day.

How far apart are the lessons scheduled? If scheduling permits, you can do two lessons back-to-back, one being the make-up lesson from the missed week. Or scattered the missed time by making two lessons longer by 15 or 30 minutes each.

And if siblings take back-to-back lessons (say sister and brother), then when the sister is sick, brother gets two lessons in a row. The following week the sister gets two lessons in a row.

#2122895 - 07/25/13 04:53 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: AZNpiano]
missbelle Offline

Loc: USA
I teach at a school, so all the billing and paperwork is done by the Fine Arts office, but I must say, I have adapted the same ideas for my summer studio (my home.)

For summer, there must be at least 8 lessons,and pre-paid, period.

School is one semester at a time, and since there are three piano teachers and limited rooms with pianos, make-ups are purely at the teacher's discretion, no matter why the student misses. If teacher misses, it is make-up or refund.

No, my chosen make-up times suit me just fine Friday after school. Somehow, I am rarely taken up on that.
smile

The co-curricular handbook is short and straight-forward. lessons are considered a "class" and I rarely get flak.

I do get students without a keyboard or piano who have parents "see how lessons go before getting an instrument" (?!Q!?!?!?!)

but for the most part, all is well.

The travelling may up your pay a bit, but how do you haul your supplies? I teach in two rooms and have a rolling cart with curriculum books (in case a student forgets their books, do not worry, I have a copy you can use during lessons!) and a portable office of sorts with metronome, colored pencils, theory worksheets, time sheets, snack and drink, etc...

I agree with the poster that said, "Location, location, location!"

when I teach at home, I lock in the times and have an alarm on my phone. Even on a day with only one student, THEY do not know that, and they shoo out quick enough as if I have another one coming any minute.

You teach others how to treat you.

An uber long and complicated contract would be daunting. Simple, straighforward, with a firm handshake and a smile, and I am good to go!

Good luck.

Go for quarters, and be stricter on your make-up times. Be firm, and be glad you have dedicated students!

#2123044 - 07/25/13 11:13 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
Brinestone Offline

Why not charge a set fee by the month that is not negotiable no matter how many lessons they try to reschedule or cancel? Or by the quarter? That way, parents know what they owe each month, you have a reliable income and few cancellations, and nobody feels trapped by a contract.

#2123399 - 07/26/13 04:03 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
purepassion Offline

Loc: Pasadena, California
Thank you all for giving me your thoughts.

Some clarifications:

I did not mention that in addition to the three options under the contract, a new student could opt for an eight-week package and after that 8-week period, choose one of the other plans. Morodiene: I also have a 30-day cancellation notice. In any case, it's a moot point. I'm getting rid of the three options for fall.

I have trepidation about charging a set fee per month of lessons (with the number of lessons being variable). I'm very unsure if the parents will agree to this. I have the feeling they will not like it. Under my contract plan, at least the parents knew they were paying for an exact number of lessons, and not paying more or less for what they were getting.

I don't think I can compel my clients to take lessons in the summer, even if it's a minimal number of lessons. With the policy I had this last year, students who took lessons into the summer were given a better rate on their lessons. Those who opted to take only during the school year paid more (two families opted for this). Without financial motivation, I don't know what leverage I have to persuade clients to take in the summer. Certainly some of my clients will take lessons in the summer, as they have for years. But some clients will find it easy to stop. Under my contract plan, I believe clients began to understand the reasoning behind varying rates; they began to see that my piano teaching was a business that had to be sustained and they began to understand the long-term picture. Anyway, if one's students are going month-to-month, how does one do this?

I'm still thinking over what to do about missed lessons. I don't think my students will tolerate a no-make up policy. With what I've gone through in the last year, I'm inclined to think they'll find another teacher if I offer no makeups.

Finally, I'll just add that I can see that a long policy does not go over well with clients, especially new ones. But I don't necessarily agree that simpler is always better. I had a simple, one page policy for about eleven years, but I got exasperated with clients exploiting weaknesses in that policy (around cancellations, changes, credit-forwarding, variable payments, etc.) I'm trying to create a concise but fair and reasonable policy that both my clients and I can live with.

Edited by purepassion (07/26/13 04:14 PM)

#2123402 - 07/26/13 04:07 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: AZNpiano]
purepassion Offline

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Swapping is probably not going to work if I'm a traveling teacher. I can't teach one student in city X then go to city Y then go back to city X on the same day.

How far apart are the lessons scheduled? If scheduling permits, you can do two lessons back-to-back, one being the make-up lesson from the missed week. Or scattered the missed time by making two lessons longer by 15 or 30 minutes each.

And if siblings take back-to-back lessons (say sister and brother), then when the sister is sick, brother gets two lessons in a row. The following week the sister gets two lessons in a row.

Scheduling will not permit me to do lessons back to back. Same thing with extending the lesson by 15 or 30 minutes. I can not delay the start of the other lessons that I have that day.

I do teach a number of siblings and will often teach only one for an hour when the other is gone. But that's not something I can incorporate into a policy.

#2123408 - 07/26/13 04:20 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: Opus_Maximus]
purepassion Offline

Originally Posted By: Opus_Maximus
I think it's just too long, and too complicated. People have a fear of long and complicated things. Why not just make it very simple:

- Charge a flat rate at the beginning of each month, for an average of 4.5 weeks per month
- A minimum of 5 lessons during summer months (we have to accept that people will just take less during the summer, and the best we can do is instill a minimum lesson policy, whichI think most people will agree with)
- Don't allow students to change times during the month, but have an email swap list with other parents (maybe you already do this).. so if they want to switch times with Jack for 3 weeks in may, then they can.

Wow, so students are actually paying for more than four lessons each month? Do you let your clients know how you formulate your rate? I think my clients would be pretty unhappy if I told them I were charging for 4.5 lessons per month.

I don't see how I can compel students to take a minimum of five lessons during the summer unless they're under some sort of year-long contract or agreement. Is this policy for getting students to opt in to summer lessons, or are you saying that students who opt to take summer lessons must take a minimum of five?

#2123410 - 07/26/13 04:24 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: ezpiano.org]
purepassion Offline

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org

2) how to handle students wanting to change their lesson times[/b]
With notification of either email or text message 2 hours before lesson time, I give them a credit to schedule a make up lesson. I offer no credit over next month and no refund at all. To select a different time for piano lesson, parents has to DIY online with software name SnapAppointment (it is free!! Check it out!!)

3) how to handle missed lessons

If they missed a lesson without any sort of notification to me, they do not deserve a make up lesson, they have to see that they wasted the tuition money for nothing and I will not give credit forward to next month, no refund and no make up lesson for another time.

Do you have a limit as to how often a student can change their lesson time?

Because I'm a traveling teacher, I don't think an on-line scheduler would work very well. My students are fairly scattered (though I do group them according to the cities they're in).

#2123415 - 07/26/13 04:48 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I pay for four lessons/ every month.
If there are 5 lesson days the fifth becomes a make up or a day off.

It's pretty simple.

#2123460 - 07/26/13 06:32 PM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
You can certainly compel students to sign up for summer lessons. I know several teachers who require students to take a minimum of 5-6 summer lessons (out of an 11-week summer break) in order to retain their regular lesson time in the fall. These lessons can be scheduled at the parents' convenience and around vacation schedules. Those students that do not take lessons in the summer will not be guaranteed their choice of lesson time in the fall but will be put on a 'wait list' of sorts.

It's unreasonable to expect students to commit to an entire summer of lessons but 5-6 lessons are certainly doable.

#2123633 - 07/27/13 02:02 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Purepassion, I agree with your objections, but clearly many independent piano teachers conduct themselves otherwise and it works for them. The one I don't understand is about changing lesson times: when a student and I figure out their lesson slot in September, it is clear that this will obtain through June. It is very rare that this will be altered.

#2123640 - 07/27/13 02:44 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
The one I don't understand is about changing lesson times: when a student and I figure out their lesson slot in September, it is clear that this will obtain through June. It is very rare that this will be altered.

But if your studio consists of overbooked, overexerted children doing 14 extracurricular activities, then some flexibility in schedule might be necessary.

#2123649 - 07/27/13 03:23 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
Opus_Maximus Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Opus_Maximus
I think it's just too long, and too complicated. People have a fear of long and complicated things. Why not just make it very simple:

- Charge a flat rate at the beginning of each month, for an average of 4.5 weeks per month
- A minimum of 5 lessons during summer months (we have to accept that people will just take less during the summer, and the best we can do is instill a minimum lesson policy, whichI think most people will agree with)
- Don't allow students to change times during the month, but have an email swap list with other parents (maybe you already do this).. so if they want to switch times with Jack for 3 weeks in may, then they can.

Wow, so students are actually paying for more than four lessons each month? Do you let your clients know how you formulate your rate? I think my clients would be pretty unhappy if I told them I were charging for 4.5 lessons per month.

I don't see how I can compel students to take a minimum of five lessons during the summer unless they're under some sort of year-long contract or agreement. Is this policy for getting students to opt in to summer lessons, or are you saying that students who opt to take summer lessons must take a minimum of five?

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I taught at a music school that had this policy of 4.5 lessons per month. The thinking there is that SOME months have 5 weeks per month, and some months have 4. So that way, you are getting an average of the weeks that have 4 or 5 weeks per months (more or less)..hence if they take Monday lessons and this particular October has 5 mondays, they are still only paying for 4.5 lessons. Think of it as a flat monthly tuition rate.

I think 5 lessons is a reasonable amount of lessons to be had in the summer. I think parents will balk at having to be enrolled ALL summer, but 4 or 5 required lessons is easily enough to accommodate vacations, etc. This small amount of lessons is a compromise between your need for a minimal sustainable income in dry months, and their need for flexibility.

#2123690 - 07/27/13 07:52 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
piano2 Offline

A few years ago I used to count up how many Tuesdays in the month and then charge for that many Tuesdays (or whatever day the lesson is on).
Then I switched to one flat rate per month and there were only positive reactions from parents.

I showed them the formula:
(38 lessons) x (lesson fee) / (10 months)

The benefits of this are:
-parents know how much to pay each month
-you can ask for post dated cheques, and it doesn't take a half hour to figure how much to make them out for
-if you have to give out tax receipts (we do in Canada for the Child Arts Tax Credit) it is much simpler
-figuring out your yearly income is also much easier
-some families even give me a cheque in September for the whole year, since I started to provide that as an option

As for the makeup lessons - I don't see how a travelling teacher can conveniently provide that service. I would make them come to me if they want makeup lessons.
And seriously - what other activities provide this service? Not swimming lessons, not soccer, not school, not dance. Kids get sick sometimes, and have to miss things as a result.
If you bend over backwards for people, they don't respect you anymore. They walk all over you even more because they can.

#2123750 - 07/27/13 10:42 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: piano2]
missbelle Offline

Loc: USA
[quote=piano2

As for the makeup lessons - I don't see how a travelling teacher can conveniently provide that service. I would make them come to me if they want makeup lessons.
And seriously - what other activities provide this service? Not swimming lessons, not soccer, not school, not dance. Kids get sick sometimes, and have to miss things as a result.
If you bend over backwards for people, they don't respect you anymore. They walk all over you even more because they can.
[/quote]

Agreed. Even studio teachers may not have the flexibility for random make-up times-- if at a school or music store, sharing space with other students, if at home, personal schedule/family, and ultimately, your sanity!

I have only had, in the past three years, ONE parent go berserko on wanting to change the schedule randomly and frequently, and her daughter did not even care about lessons. The fine arts department fully supported me and the mom did not even take her complaints up any ladder, she just fussed at me. I had two open slots for her child, plus a floating Firday for make-ups, but she wanted me to accommodate her when she felt like it, around sports and tutoring. Since the school takes payment per semester, I was paid regardless, and dutifully waited twice each week for her one lesson, and sometimes left notes and music with her homeroom teacher.
(I sub at the school)

Anyway,
use the KISS method-
keep
it
simple
(stupid) (no offense, please)

The more complicated the rules, the more wiggle room is sought, like the boy that came naked to school on a dare, since it was the one thing not listed in the exhaustive files of dress code violations.

Good luck!

Edited by missbelle (07/27/13 10:43 AM)

#2124054 - 07/28/13 01:16 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: piano2]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
Originally Posted By: piano2

There is a difference between group lessons and one on one lessons.
Swimming, soccer, school and dance are mostly group lessons. When a student miss a class, the teacher still putting as much work.
Piano lessons, on the other hand, is usually one on one. With some notice, dentists rarely charge you for rescheduling/cancelling a dental appointment, whether they can refill the slot or not.

#2124103 - 07/28/13 07:15 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
piano2 Offline

With some notice, Dentists can fill the spot if someone needs to cancel. Dentists might have a walk-in patient who walks out paying hundreds of dollars for the service. That doesn't happen for us piano teachers.
Even with some notice, a piano teacher cannot fill that spot with a new paying customer, because the time slot needs to be held for that student who is away. This means loss of payment.

I think parents are paying for your time slot every week.

I changed to this policy a few years ago and other than the occasional issue, it has worked out well.
I do have a Lesson Exchange List for those people who want to be on it. Then if they need to switch a lesson for that week, they can ask someone on the list to switch with them.

#2127915 - 08/04/13 11:54 AM Re: Piano policy revamp - a cautionary tale? [Re: purepassion]
April's Piano St. Offline

Loc: Denton, Texas
When students register at my studio, they are basically signing-up for a year of lessons (it's planned that way), but I have an "out" for them- basically if they do discontinue during the studio year, they must give me a 30-day PAID notice from the day they let me know. I don't always get the paid notice (in which case, I won't accept them back in the studio), but quite a few do, thankfully. I tightened my studio policies before the 2012-2013 Studio Year and had quite a few drop-out. I increased my tuition also, so that is probably the biggest reason why, but it was a necessary change so I wouldn't under-cut the market here or my expertise. I've been disappointed by the lack of interest in piano in my area, but continue just to have hope in God's timing and His direction. I do feel happier not constantly switching lessons around (the previous year I gave FOUR make-up lessons per student at any time during the year..so..do the math! ha). I feel like I'm more in control of the studio now, but yes, many of my students or previous student's parents have just NOT understood particular parts of the policies. I think some people cannot be trained. wink

This year, I disliked the idea of giving AND not giving make-up lessons- ha- so I decided to go for the middle road and give group Musical Fun Make-Up Classes. I'll have 2-4 students per class and each family can register for two (one hour) classes on two days of a three day span. I'll have the kids play for each other and mostly focus on playing musical games together. This will occur the last week the studio is open this month. The wide variety of class times are given to the families and they must choose from the dates and times I've specified.

I hope that will give you some ideas, or at the very least, know that you aren't alone in your business struggles and changes. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (ajames, accordeur, airdis, 48 invisible), 1862 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294901 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
43 minutes 56 seconds ago
piano contest
by wkurashima
Today at 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
Today at 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
Today at 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission