Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 181 of 196 < 1 2 ... 179 180 181 182 183 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#2124375 - 07/28/13 06:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Shey it looks like there are only a handful of people actually doing book one at the moment and a few interested people like myself who enjoy seeing the progress of others at this level.

I too am interested in the Bernhardt method although I would like to hear some thoughts from the teachers in this forum. I think we are all looking for some secret to advance us that we become a little too easily distracted when something new is put in front of us.

As far as some classical pieces at your level there is quite a lot of music to pick from. You could get the Alfred Book 2 and try some of the early classical pieces there. I particularly enjoyed learning the Overture from Raymond. In addition I am working through a Keith Snell book "Essential Piano Repertoire of the 17th, 18th & 19th Century"

http://www.kjos.com/sub_section.php?division=5&series=217

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2124394 - 07/28/13 07:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
Thanks for your reply earlofmar. Yes it is very quiet here. I like the Bernhardt idea of goal setting when self teaching, it really is helpful, and the not over practicing too large sections, in fact if you can master a tiny section then you are successful.
Any help is welcome for me and I appreciate the link to the Keith Snell books, they have a cd alongside too.
Adult returner

#2124413 - 07/28/13 07:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Hi Shey, and welcome...

I don't really know what to tell you on an extra piece. I had my teacher approve mine.

Alfred does do a good job of teaching. Very well written book. Not that there aren't others also.

Don't know what to say on practice. I just do it. Sunday is my only day off work. I'll spend all day long practicing and taking breaks. Look in here too often. Listen to other stuff on breaks also. I enjoy my days like this.

The whole forum has slowed down some recently. Don't know why?

#2124421 - 07/28/13 08:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Perhaps it has slowed down due to Summer in the northern hemisphere? Lots of people are taking to the outdoors and having holidays.

#2124476 - 07/28/13 10:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...

Good to hear you're back at it Shey and welcome to the thread.

You may be right Earlofmar as those I know living up north are taking advantage of their summer doing the family thing.

Down here in Australia the mid-year school term break has just finished, kids back to school so more quality time for me to bang away at the piano not worrying about giving others a bleeding ear.. hehe

While I don't comment in here all that often I do pop in to see how others are going. Seeing how everyone is progressing and the encouragement they receive from others is inspiring for me be they further along or behind me with their lesson books. I take all advice for others on board sharing in their enthusiasm, especially when they post something they play.

Like others I have my moments where life gets a bit hectic for various reasons, so I ease up or take a short break. Other times when I feel as though I'm stagnating with a certain piece I'll select something from another book (such as Alfred's Greatest Hits) to keep my interest going and later find that things "fall into place" with the lesson book. My teacher approves and is very supportive with this approach coaching me along with the outside material noting that the technics she taught me so far are being used while steering me away from bad habits. At my very first lesson she told me that it's not a race, that people learn things at their own pace and most important of all, to enjoy the ride.

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2125007 - 07/29/13 09:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
For sure the summer has slowed me down. It has been a bit more difficult getting in as much quality time as I typically do. Having said that, I am finishing up the book and working on "Amazing Grace".

Yamaha P-155

#2125139 - 07/30/13 04:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Shey Offline

Scorpio, were you tempted to miss any of the pieces at all before you got to Amazing Grace? I enjoyed the first blues tune, then read and practised the chords for the other blues songs. I really,really didn't like them at all.

It's not like me to miss out things, I do tend to be thorough, I understood what was meant to be learnt, but didn't want to play those songs, so left them out.
    I wondered if you left any out of your practise?

How you doing with A G, good I'm sure.
    Adult returner

#2125150 - 07/30/13 06:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
    Good job scorpio! I remember having a very hard time with the double notes in Amazing Grace, couldn't remember the right sequence for the life of me.

#2125188 - 07/30/13 08:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
    scorpio Offline

Originally Posted By: Shey
    Scorpio, were you tempted to miss any of the pieces at all before you got to Amazing Grace?
    I wondered if you left any out of your practise?

I did them all! In fact, I enjoyed the bluesy stuff. Most are recorded which I am thankful. I enjoy hearing the progress (if you can call it that); helps to remind me that I am improving with time. It is funny, I recently took a listen and can not believe how dreadful some sound; and at the time I was so proud. HA HA!

Yamaha P-155

#2125192 - 07/30/13 08:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sinophilia]
      scorpio Offline

sinophilia, thank you so much. It is exciting to reach the end of the book. "Amazing Grace" still needs some work, especially with the arpeggiated chords.

I probably will not start Book 2 until September. But when I do, I hope to play "Raymond" as well as you. And would love to tackle "Downton Abbey" (I know it's not in the book); I really enjoy how beautiful you make it sound.

Yamaha P-155

#2125203 - 07/30/13 09:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        sinophilia Offline

You're too kind scorpio. I'd love to learn the original version of Downton Abbey (same RH, harder LH), but it's just not happening right now.

#2125453 - 07/30/13 06:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        JSteve32 Offline

I've been reading through this thread a bit. What's the general expected progress of someone completely new through the All-In-One Level 1 book? I've been playing about 3 weeks now and just got to where I can play "Blow The Man Down." Is this generally acceptable progress or fairly slow? Some days I get in upwards of 2-1/2 to 3 hours of practice, some days none. The average would probably fall somewhere between an hour and a an hour and a half. (Blow The Man Down below)

https://app.box.com/s/tepekaomgjx40azwbaoc

Edited by JSteve32 (07/30/13 06:19 PM)

#2125521 - 07/30/13 08:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JSteve32]
        scorpio Offline

Hi JSteve32, Welcome!

Your question is often asked. Many want to know if they are progressing at a an average, or perhaps better than average, rate. It is really hard to define.

What I can tell you is that most, if not everyone, reports that the first half of Book 1 goes real fast. It is the second half of the book where the self-learner decides that 1) piano is too difficult and they lose interest, 2) a teacher is required, or 3) they are going to continue to work and practice even as the progress slows down and some frustration sets in.

Everyone has a different journey. I am finishing Book 1 now. It has been seven months. But I choose to work on supplemental pieces during that time. So saying it took me seven months is not the whole story and can be misleading.

All I can say is that you need to enjoy it. Practice everyday and each time you sit at the keyboard you will experience an improvement.

Sam S sums it up nicely here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...ell.html#UNREAD

And I will also share this great quote from Mark Hambourg: "It is a wonderful feeling to notice power growing gradually, and things becoming easy which at first seemed insurmountable."

Yamaha P-155

#2125523 - 07/30/13 08:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
          earlofmar Offline
          1000 Post Club Member

JSteve32 I have seen various completion times of book 1 from 6 to 12 months. But if you are at Blow the Man Down after three weeks (the recording was very good by the way) then this is exceptional and your progress is rapid to say the least.

#2126079 - 07/31/13 07:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
          dagdvm Offline

Loc: Virginia
          I am a bit of a lurker but I started Alfred's Book 1 in January and I am now working on The Entertainer and Amazing Grace so I'm almost to the end. No teacher, just "The Purple Lady" on the CD to show me how it should sound. I am thrilled with how I've progressed in this fairly short time. I love the fact that I can actually play tunes that people can recognize - O.K. they are simplified versions and I need the music right in front of me, but for an essentially un-musical person like myself that is HUGE!

#2126087 - 07/31/13 07:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: dagdvm]
          scorpio Offline

Originally Posted By: dagdvm
          I am a bit of a lurker but I started Alfred's Book 1 in January and I am now working on The Entertainer and Amazing Grace so I'm almost to the end. No teacher, just "The Purple Lady" on the CD to show me how it should sound. I am thrilled with how I've progressed in this fairly short time. I love the fact that I can actually play tunes that people can recognize - O.K. they are simplified versions and I need the music right in front of me, but for an essentially un-musical person like myself that is HUGE!

thumb

Yamaha P-155

#2126088 - 07/31/13 08:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            rnaple Offline

Hi Steve....congrats. I"m working on that now. Can't believe how long it has taken me to play both hands on that. Literally recreating my mind.

Welcome dagdvm. Yes I can see that Alfred's is written with a whole bunch in mind. The songs are written a certain way to get us to learn something. They put a whole lot of thinking into this book. Congratulations....and don't forget to have fun with Gilligan's Island. smile

#2126126 - 07/31/13 09:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: dagdvm]
            earlofmar Offline
            1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dagdvm

Well done, it is huge, we are constantly playing our very best to the level we are currently at. No one can take that away from you so good luck finishing the book and onto.........what ever is next

#2126197 - 08/01/13 01:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JSteve32]
            Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
            Originally Posted By: JSteve32
            What's the general expected progress of someone completely new through the All-In-One Level 1 book?

As to how long it generally takes to finish Alfreds, it really depends on the student. If they have had lessons before. If they have a musical background. If they have a teacher. How much and how often they practice.

Some people finish the book in a matter of months. Others like me take 2 years or more. I started with the Self-Teaching book over 2 years ago, and now I'm on the last song which I should finish in 2 or 3 weeks I think. Thus this will take me close to 2½ years to finish the book. But I will finish it.

I don't practice as much as I should. I don't have a teacher. I sometimes work on other songs from other books. So I'm taking my time. I consider it like a marathon. Some people excel at it and are very fast. Others take a long time and are happy just to finish.

Masterwork Classics 3
            Alfred's Level 2

#2126217 - 08/01/13 03:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            sinophilia Offline

If I may, I would suggest to book 1 (and 2) learners to supplement it from the very beginning with more classical-oriented material. Not because I don't like the tunes in Alfred's, but because I soon found out that my left hand was seriously under-trained. Alfred makes you play LH chords from the very beginning, but 1) chords are not easy and require good technique and flexibility to ensure that all notes sound simultaneously, with the right dynamics and maybe even with the right voicing, and 2) the left hand remains stiff and slow if you only do chords and double notes.

In most of the very basic classical pieces that I'm tackling right now I can see that the left hand drags behind and causes most of my coordination and speed problems. A good exercise is switching treble and bass and play the melody with the LH. Then, when I practice scales and arpeggios I try to work out the LH twice as much as the right hand, and practice it alone most of the time so its faults are not "covered up" by the RH.

#2126256 - 08/01/13 06:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sinophilia]
            earlofmar Offline
            1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
            If I may, I would suggest to book 1 (and 2) learners to supplement it from the very beginning with more classical-oriented material. Not because I don't like the tunes in Alfred's, but because I soon found out that my left hand was seriously under-trained. Alfred makes you play LH chords from the very beginning, but 1) chords are not easy and require good technique and flexibility to ensure that all notes sound simultaneously, with the right dynamics and maybe even with the right voicing, and 2) the left hand remains stiff and slow if you only do chords and double notes.

In most of the very basic classical pieces that I'm tackling right now I can see that the left hand drags behind and causes most of my coordination and speed problems. A good exercise is switching treble and bass and play the melody with the LH. Then, when I practice scales and arpeggios I try to work out the LH twice as much as the right hand, and practice it alone most of the time so its faults are not "covered up" by the RH.
            thumb

Edited by earlofmar (08/01/13 06:21 AM)

#2127535 - 08/03/13 04:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
            Has anyone else found and watched some of the movies where some of these songs were first featured in?

Songs like:

The Entertainer - The Sting (1973)
            At Last - Orchestra Wives (1942)
            Laura - Laura (1944)
            Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
            Masterwork Classics 3
            Alfred's Level 2

#2127540 - 08/03/13 04:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            Ivory Ticklynn Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin
            Good Day,

My first post on this forum. Did I read that right, 7 million views to this thread? Wow. Alfred is a popular guy. I've read quite a few of the responses.

I'm working through Alfred's. Started on my own, now have a teacher that gives me other music too. I like the book. I changed the O Sole Mio so it sounded more like I know the song.

I started in Jan 2013 too. I think Scorpio did too. It was my New Year's resolution. I also agree with Scorpio that the first half of the book is easier and then it gets tougher. Maybe I'm not progressing along with the material as much as I should.

I think this forum will be fun.

#2127583 - 08/03/13 06:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ivory Ticklynn]
            rnaple Offline

Welcome Violette.

Originally Posted By: Violette
            ... I changed the O Sole Mio so it sounded more like I know the song.

Beware when you do this. Alfred writes songs to get you to learn something. Pay attention and learn what it is he wants you to learn. Have fun changing the songs too. smile

Originally Posted By: Violette
            ... I also agree with Scorpio that the first half of the book is easier and then it gets tougher. Maybe I'm not progressing along with the material as much as I should.

You're doing fine. It is just that in the second half. We are learning or training our nervous system to do things it hasn't done before. That's why progress slows. People who go through it quickly.... either they already had the training, don't get the song's down right, or they are lying. smile

#2127586 - 08/03/13 06:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
            rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: Johnny D
            Has anyone else found and watched some of the movies where some of these songs were first featured in?

Songs like:

The Entertainer - The Sting (1973)
            At Last - Orchestra Wives (1942)
            Laura - Laura (1944)
            Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

Yes...
            If you're interested. I think Netflix might have them?

#2127623 - 08/03/13 07:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: rnaple]
            scorpio Offline

Originally Posted By: rnaple
            You're doing fine. It is just that in the second half. We are learning or training our nervous system to do things it hasn't done before. That's why progress slows. People who go through it quickly.... either they already had the training, don't get the song's down right, or they are lying. smile

I agree. Going slow now, building a strong foundation, and allowing the brain and muscles to develop proper synaptic connections for piano should make for great progress later.

Yamaha P-155

#2128998 - 08/06/13 03:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
              sydnal Offline

Hello all;
              Once again thanks for the comments on the last video.. I have been struggling with the next piece, Laura, for close to 2 weeks and I had a long recording session tonight. (There is a wrong note at the end but I am hoping it's not very prominent or disturbing.. I was exhausted so I would have to record again tomorrow, instead I chose to just accept it and move on).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcjID4MYnqY

At this point once again I am not even sure my recording or working method is very correct. I generally sit in front of the camera restarting again and again until I have a good recording. Sometimes it takes a few tries but sometimes, as was the case with Laura, 20 or so tries. So If I was in a recital or playing to somebody I would bomb it for sure. Yet I am not sure working on it till I can play it without mistakes most of the time was worth it.. Ahh dilemmas dilemmas..

#2129104 - 08/06/13 06:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
              earlofmar Offline
              1000 Post Club Member

Well done sydnal another quality performance, if it only took two weeks to learn then that is excellent. The more difficult the piece the longer one has to work on them, so patience is the key.

As to recording I have done four so far and all but the third were nightmares. The last one for the recital was done over days of attempts. There must have been at least 100 attempts before I got two to pick from and both are not to standard. I can only hope it gets easier in the future. This is a very common problem in the forum.

However the key to mistake free pieces is slow....very slow playing while learning. This gets the accuracy but I must admit to being a little impatient with this. For my latest pieces they are all faster in tempo so I am forced to keep them really slow. I hope this will make a difference in the longer term.

#2129116 - 08/06/13 06:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
              Shey Offline

Hello, I just managed to get through Greensleeves this evening, it's so lovely but my version slow and choppy. I have been excited to get to this song as it is one of my favourites and although I practised it very slowly, I don't seem to be able to speed up yet and get it to sound really nice. Just done about an hour on it, so maybe after some more practise I will be able to play it so it sounds lovely, well, hopefully.
              I am trying not to beat myself up, but I feel my progress at returning to piano is sooooo slow. But, when I achieve some small success it feels so good.
              Getting there, but slowly is my mantra, for now.
              Adult returner

#2129119 - 08/06/13 06:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
              rnaple Offline

Sydnal... That was good. I can understand accepting good enough and moving on. We all face that. We're learning to play musically. Laura isn't an easy piece. Congrats.

Shey... Yup... Greensleeves is a special song. Just something about it. Keep at it.

Page 181 of 196 < 1 2 ... 179 180 181 182 183 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
              What's Hot!!
              Our latest Issue is available now...
              Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
              -------------------
              HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
              -------------------
              Sharing is Caring!
              About the Buttons
              -------------------
              Forums Rules & Help
              -------------------
              ADVERTISE
              on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
              (ad) HAILUN Pianos
              Hailun Pianos - Click for More
              Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
              Seiler Pianos
              Sheet Music
              (PW is an affiliate)
              Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
              (125ad) Dampp Chaser
              Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
              (ad) Lindeblad Piano
              Lindeblad Piano Restoration
              Who's Online
              138 registered (Abby Pianoman, aDino, ajames, anamnesis, Alex1, 39 invisible), 1733 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
              Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
              Forum Stats
              75584 Members
              42 Forums
              156280 Topics
              2295162 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
              New Topics - Multiple Forums
              Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
              by Karinioza
              07/30/14 11:51 AM
              Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
              by aDino
              07/30/14 11:21 AM
              Help with dynamics
              by noobpianist90
              07/30/14 03:53 AM
              Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
              by chicolom
              07/30/14 02:35 AM
              Coming up with new compositional methods.
              by gsmonks
              07/30/14 01:58 AM
              (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
              | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
              | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
              | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
              No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission