2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hi, I am new here and have been a piano tuner for several years. I have dabbled into piano regulations and repair but mostly on newer pianos as I haven't developed the confidence of working on pianos with considerable worn parts or terribly out of regulations. I always think that in order to work on pianos like that, I’d end up having to decide what parts to replace to allow precise regulations to be done. I ‘d love to pick on your brains on what would be the most helpful resources for working on pianos like that as I am ready to challenge myself to become a good piano “reconditioner.”

I have read Reblitz and it has a great amount of information on how to replace worn parts. Nonetheless, there wasn’t much information on under what circumstances that one decides the parts need to be replaced in order to facilitate proper regulations, ie how worn the parts need to be. I think it would be most helpful if there are books that go into details about. I am curious if the new book “Pianos Inside Out” by Mario Igrec provides more information on that. For those who have read the book, I’d love to hear if you think I should get the book for my purpose. I‘d also greatly appreciate any other suggestions on books, videos, or whatever resources that you can think of that could be helpful.

Thanks so much!

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Welcome to the forums! The most helpful resource is your own experience. I've learned over the years to carefully evaluate the client, their budget, the use the piano gets, and the future use it will get, and recommend repairs accordingly.....or recommend replacement when I feel that repairs won't bring the piano to the desired level. There is no cut and dried answer to your question, as each situation is different.

I would not be too worried about messing up. There is almost nothing that can't be made right - and those instances are always a good learning experience.

Everyone has taken a job they regretted, a job that cost far more than they charged, and a job that they were not qualified to do. These lessons are part of the business - and are annoying, but won't break you.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Some additional ideas: Look into the PTG - there may be a local chapter near you - maybe you can find someone that you can work with. There are regional and national conferences with many classes on just this subject. Check out the PTG library on line.
Also, WNG puts on a great class, it is all about their parts but you will get a good dose of action related schooling that you can apply to much more than their parts.
Get a replacement parts kit, they are available from Renner, Tokiwa, WNG.
Get an action model that you can practice on.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
What Bob and Gene said, plus, see if there's a rebuilder in your area, and see if you can spend some time apprenticing in their shop. That's a great way to learn the business from the ground up.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
J
J
In addition to (and, in my opinion, above) Reblitz, get yourself a copy of Mario Igrec's Pianos Inside Out. Superb work, great explanations. Then find a rebuilding mentor to work with for a couple of years, at least. You'll learn and learn and learn, then learn some more. thumb

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I second the recommendation of Pianos Inside Out. It is as far a leap further forward from what has gone before, as Reblitz' book was thirty years ago.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'll third the reccomendation of Pianos Inside Out. Fantastic book. For me it trumps Reblitz by quite a bit.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks so much everyone for your ideas on how to gain experience of reconditioning and rebuilding pianos. I definitely will look into all your suggestions and will be getting "Pianos Inside Out" very soon. I guess the best education would be to apprentice with a rebuilder for hands-on experience.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Oh yeah, if it hasn't been recommended yet, I'd say "Pianos Inside Out" would be an excellent book to get.

wink

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission