2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 6 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone,

this is my first post! I work for a small non profit in Chicago all about piano and I am currently seeking an amazing female pianist (no famous names but well known is fine) to help us launch our inaugural Storytellers Series this upcoming season!

The mission of this series is to provide pianists at the forefront of a variety of genres an opportunity to intimately connect with their audience through a mix of performance and storytelling about anything from life experiences to the idiosyncrasies of the artist’s creative process.

Each concert will offer a chance for the artists to present their work in a more personal context while providing an incredibly unique experience for audience members to understand and form a deeper, richer connection with the music of today’s most relevant and skillful, piano-centric performers out there.

The series will take place in our beautiful, new 100 seat venue in Chicago’s South Loop. We provide pianos of the highest quality and the venue is outfitted with state of the art technology and engineers to produce a high-quality recording of this intimate performance.

So if you know any outstanding lady pianists please post them here and I will take them all into consideration!

PLEASE NOTE that this series is open to pianists of ANY GENRE, however, classical pianists should have especially innovative and unique characteristics to be considered. Thank you!

M
OP Offline
M
I see this post has gotten a lot of views but no replies here's a bit more info:

So far we've created a diverse roster featuring lots of different genres (I'm talking everything from a singer songwriter to a funky B3 organist to a modern minimalist composer) but they are all male!

I'd love to mix it up a bit and feature a lady on the series.

We've reached out to Patricia Barber to perform for us again but she's totally booked. I've reached out to Chicago fusion pianist, Yoko Noge and I'm waiting to hear back.

Thanks all, can't wait to hear your suggestions and I know this great community MUST know some great pianists for this opportunity!!

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Joan Hickey is a fine jazz pianist. She's on the faculty of the University of Illinois in Champaign. If you can't find her contact information there I can get it for you.

H
H
I'm guessing you're not getting many replies because a lot of men are viewing your post and thinking that since, for some reason, the pianist you're looking for HAS to be female, then it's not for them. I know I, for one, had that reaction.

Which brings me to my question: would you be open to a cross dresser? After all, if he plays amazing piano, why not?

In this economy, ya gotta do watcha gotta do, right?

J
J
After the Jazz Festival at Caramoor this last weekend, I'd definitely vote for Helen Sung who played with the Mingus Big Band. Just Google her - fantastic chops, ideas and presence. Brava! thumb

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Jim!

That's a great suggestion! I watched some of her videos and interviews and she seems really great, very articulate and smart! I will definitely reach out to her! Thanks so much.

Marilyn

Last edited by Marilynyo; 07/31/13 02:13 PM.
H
H
There's also Stephanie Trick, pretty good stride piano. (My offer to cross-dress still stands, though.)

J
J
If you like Helen, you might also be interested in Anat Fort and Julia Hulsmann. Again just google or YouTube them. Julia is German, not well known here, but she keeps growing. You might catch her a a tour of the US for your show. Anat Fort is very much up and coming. Just sayin'. sick

Last edited by Jim Frazee; 07/31/13 06:00 PM.

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
M
OP Offline
M
Dear Jim and H.S. of Teddy Wilson,

thank you so much for your suggestions. Fortunately, I have found a a fabulous Chicago-based, fusion pianist interested in forming part of the series! I will definitely keep those other ladies in mind for future concerts! Thank you!

Marilyn

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission