Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2125390 - 07/30/13 04:02 PM Prelude in E minor - My first composition
Skinkken Offline

I made this almost completely with computer before trying it with piano. After about 10 hours it was almost ready. Over the course of few next days I improved some parts, made a cleaner sheet music and made a better version for listening (adding slow downs and more accurate dynamics to Musescore). This is pretty hard, so it will take a while before I can play it well (and I know there are better players too, better pianos and better microphones), so I made a listening version. I know it's completely different computer playing it than human, but this is what I have got now. I'll upload sheet music when it's ready. Feedback is welcome. Things may still change.

This is my first composition. Enjoy. smile

Sheet music here: http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5697

Listening version (Not played by human): https://soundcloud.com/user550682243/prelude-in-e-minor

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2125870 - 07/31/13 01:01 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
MikeHawk Offline

Amazing, especially for a first composition. I can only say that I would much prefer to hear a version played on a real piano, although the piano sample on the recording is not as bad as I was expecting.

Edited by MikeHawk (07/31/13 01:02 PM)

#2125886 - 07/31/13 01:45 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Hi,

This pieces has a lot going on. It's fascinating, it's relatively easy to perform, it's exciting and the form is very clear, with catchy tunes and ideas. Your harmonic progression is moving convincingly and in general, especially for a first timer, it's indeed very very good!

BUT,

Some things on the score, show that you're using your ear, instead of knowledge, and you're not exactly sure on how to notate it (spelling wise).

The middle section, for example, is in G minor (which means Bb and Eb). Yet you keep spelling the Bb as an A#, thus creating a very difficult reading issue for the performer. You don't have to change key signature, but you need to respell all those notes (and the D# which is in fact an Eb).

Your binding of the beam in bars 1, 7, 13, etc creates another problem: One can miss the pulse/beat of the piece (which is in 4/4).

Lastly bar 10, with the parenthetical notes. I see what you're doing there, but that's not exactly the best way to do it... You can put an ossia bar above, to show an alternative, otherwise leave it as it is. I think it's pretty much playable with all the notes in.

Very very well done!

I seriously hope that you'll get to check this thread (since it's also your first post).

Welcome! smile

#2125888 - 07/31/13 01:47 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
In m. 48, what do the parentheses on the notes mean? [ETA: Oh I see, Nikolas has implied what they're for: leave out the parenthesized notes for an easier version?]

In m. 63, I would find it easier to read the RH part if written differently. One possiblity would be to write it on the lower, bass, staff, and write the sixteenth notes with stems down.

I've printed it out to play through it.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (07/31/13 01:48 PM)

#2126721 - 08/02/13 12:56 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Very nice ... an exciting and dramatic piece! thumb

I like it ... understanding that you're still refining this, but I were to pick a bone with this music as it is right now (referencing Prelude1.2.pdf), I would probably say that the transition from the Andante section back to the Allegro section feels a little forced.

Still, good job overall! thumb

#2126940 - 08/02/13 01:07 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

Thanks for feedback, especially Nikolas about notation. I forgot to mention that I'm 17 years old, if that means anything.

#2127257 - 08/03/13 12:30 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Parts of your score are nearly impossible to read. You need to learn that an A sharp is not the same as a B flat. The G minor scale is not made up of G A A# C D D# Gb G.

Polyphonist

#2127637 - 08/03/13 07:52 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The G minor in the middle section was pointed out before by Nikolas. Skinkken, did you realize that you had modulated from E minor the G minor in that section? Am I right that you would change key signatures to two flats for that section? Bb major is the relative major of G minor, of course.

#2127763 - 08/04/13 12:57 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: keystring]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
The G minor in the middle section was pointed out before by Nikolas. Skinkken, did you realize that you had modulated from E minor the G minor in that section? Am I right that you would change key signatures to two flats for that section? Bb major is the relative major of G minor, of course.

Not necessary to change key signatures (although it's probably a good idea), but one MUST notate the accidentals correctly.

Polyphonist

#2127807 - 08/04/13 04:13 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

Yes, I'll fix the accidentals to g minor to match g minor scale when I get back home. I knew it was g minor and something was odd about the notation.

#2129151 - 08/06/13 08:07 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

#2129296 - 08/07/13 05:58 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

Made the post but didn't send it... Now it's there.

#2129652 - 08/08/13 12:55 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Check measure 30 again, for starters.

Polyphonist

#2129800 - 08/08/13 10:07 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I see you've changed the RH notation for m. 63 -- that's nice and clear now.

I'm looking at mm. 4-5, at the phrase marks in the upper staff. They interfere with the rest for the upper voice, and I was trying to figure out why you have them that way. Same thing at mm. 42-43.

If they apply just to the upper notes, it seems to me that they should start at the first upper note, not at the beginning of the measure.

Then it occurred to me to wonder if the first lower note (e.g. A in m. 4) is part of the upper note phrase, so the upper melody rhythm is the same as in m. 3: dotted quarter note then eighths. If that's the case, then what I have seen is that the dotted quarter note that starts the upper note phrase should be notated separately from the half note that starts the lower notes. So you would ditch the dotted quarter rest, and add a dotted quarter note A with stem up right next to the half note A with stem down. The phrase mark would start at the dotted quarter note. (And similarly but with a quarter note F# in m. 5.)

#2130233 - 08/09/13 07:37 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: PianoStudent88]
Skinkken Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Check measure 30 again, for starters.

That is now fixed.

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
I see you've changed the RH notation for m. 63 -- that's nice and clear now.

I'm looking at mm. 4-5, at the phrase marks in the upper staff. They interfere with the rest for the upper voice, and I was trying to figure out why you have them that way. Same thing at mm. 42-43.

If they apply just to the upper notes, it seems to me that they should start at the first upper note, not at the beginning of the measure.

Then it occurred to me to wonder if the first lower note (e.g. A in m. 4) is part of the upper note phrase, so the upper melody rhythm is the same as in m. 3: dotted quarter note then eighths. If that's the case, then what I have seen is that the dotted quarter note that starts the upper note phrase should be notated separately from the half note that starts the lower notes. So you would ditch the dotted quarter rest, and add a dotted quarter note A with stem up right next to the half note A with stem down. The phrase mark would start at the dotted quarter note. (And similarly but with a quarter note F# in m. 5.)

I did the first thing you suggested: moved the slur start to the first upper note. I tried the second thing: I put dotted quarter note in the same place with the half note. Problem was that the dot would be inside the half note. Then I flipped both notes around, so the dot and the dotted note was at the right side, but then the stems were at wrong direction. It first sounded like a solution, but it can't be like that.

#2130273 - 08/09/13 09:26 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Stems in wrong direction -- which software are you using? In MuseScore, for example, there's an option to switch stem direction (though I haven't tried it with this exact set of restrictions).

#2130671 - 08/10/13 07:21 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: PianoStudent88]
Skinkken Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Stems in wrong direction -- which software are you using? In MuseScore, for example, there's an option to switch stem direction (though I haven't tried it with this exact set of restrictions).

I use musescore. Yes, you can change direction. But either the dot is in the half note, and if you put the notes in the opposite places, the stem directions are also opposite, half note stem up and the dotted note stem down. The dotted note belongs to the group of top notes and the half note to the bottom notes and the top notes are all stem up and the bottom ones stem down.

Edited by Skinkken (08/10/13 07:36 AM)

#2135761 - 08/20/13 04:20 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
stalefleas Offline

This is very good. Very catchy melody, very exciting. It does sound like the fast parts might be a little difficult but I might try this one tomorrow and see.

I also have issues with the andante section. I really liked the transition into that section, but I feel it lingers slightly too long. You can move back into the main theme a little more quickly and without slowing down so much I think. I want to say the last two or four chords really drag, and it feels out of place.

Very good though, I am surprised this is your first piece. Definitely keep at it and post some more soon.

#2135915 - 08/20/13 11:08 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: stalefleas]
Skinkken Offline

Originally Posted By: stalefleas
This is very good. Very catchy melody, very exciting. It does sound like the fast parts might be a little difficult but I might try this one tomorrow and see.

I also have issues with the andante section. I really liked the transition into that section, but I feel it lingers slightly too long. You can move back into the main theme a little more quickly and without slowing down so much I think. I want to say the last two or four chords really drag, and it feels out of place.

Very good though, I am surprised this is your first piece. Definitely keep at it and post some more soon.

The listening version's nuances are a little outdated, as I made it before I could even really play the piece. The andante part should be played a little faster than in the listening version and the transition back to the main theme should be faster, the slowdown closer to the transition.

I know some parts are a bit clumsy, but this is what I am capable of.

Currently, I can play the piece okay, but the hardest parts make a little problem in the parts that have same chords repeated very fast, so I just fail to play some of them.

Thanks for feedback. smile

#2136020 - 08/20/13 02:01 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
stalefleas Offline

Looking at the score, it doesn't seem so bad, actually. Might take a few days to get it up to speed though.

#2136067 - 08/20/13 03:27 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Pretty good for a first piece. I like the A section and the repeat. Not wild about the way the B section transitions back into the A. The key change happens a bit late IMO resulting in the transition sounding forced.

#2143867 - 09/04/13 06:04 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I found myself desperately trying to figure out the origins of a theme that was stuck in my head. Just one measure. It was driving me crazy. Turns out it was this piece. Congratulations.

#2157854 - 09/26/13 07:04 AM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

UPDATE: There is now a recording ready, in which I play this piece. It's not very high quality, but you get the idea what it could sound played on piano. My performance was not amazing either.

http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5697&p=58081#p58081
(Directly here: https://soundcloud.com/user550682243/prelude-in-e-minor-1)

Edited by Skinkken (09/26/13 07:09 AM)

#2187067 - 11/22/13 08:44 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Skinkken
UPDATE: There is now a recording ready, in which I play this piece. It's not very high quality, but you get the idea what it could sound played on piano. My performance was not amazing either.

http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5697&p=58081#p58081
(Directly here: https://soundcloud.com/user550682243/prelude-in-e-minor-1)

This is an old thread, but "Wow", that is very impressive. 17? That's some real talent there.

FWIW, I didn't understand the critiques of the transition from Andante back to Allegro. There was a little pause there and then we're back to the original theme. Not at all jarring from my perspective, and I've heard (I think) similar transitions at times from the great composers of the past.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2212367 - 01/10/14 06:08 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

#2212896 - 01/11/14 02:49 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very nice!

I'm curious about the sheet music -- which program did you use? I'd love to see how you created the alternate on measure# 10.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2214181 - 01/13/14 08:51 PM Re: Prelude in E minor - My first composition [Re: Skinkken]
Dwscamel Offline

I like this composition very much. I think it could pass as an old romantic piece of one of the greats.

Keep composing and keep sharing! I hear good things already.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (Auntie Lynn, Anticlock, Atrys, Art_Vandelay, Augustina, aesop, 28 invisible), 1240 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156347 Topics
2296294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
48 minutes 40 seconds ago
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission