Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
142 registered (Alexander Borro, accordeur, Achilleas, anamnesis, ajames, 41 invisible), 1785 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2125494 - 07/30/13 07:10 PM Rear Duplex muting........?
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Greetings....on this piano, a 1930 Weber "FR" Duo-Art Reproducer, the whole rear duplex is muted with felt, as you can see in the video. The bass section is pretty much the same with the thinner felt, but some duplex "noise" can be heard if you pluck or strum the strings in that area. There is no sound to the rear duplex of the rest of the piano with that thick red felt in place. The piano case is 6ft, however the piano itself is 4ft 8inc. It has excellent sustain on all the notes, inc the 5th octave all the way to note 88. Original soundboard!

My question is should I remove it and take a listen...was it something the factory did to suppress this noise one hears? It does not look like it's from 1930, more likely done about 20+ years ago when the treble was re-strung.

I suppose I could remove it fairly easily, getting it back in under the strings would be a bit of a hassle, especially under the wound bass strings. I did try muting the bass rear duplex area, but did not like the sound. I would like to know what it sounds like without it. What would you suggest? Is it worth removing and the hassle to put it back?

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2125498 - 07/30/13 07:21 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Grandpianoman
Is it worth removing and the hassle to put it back?

No. Trying to weave it in the duplex section underneath the bass strings would be a pain in the rear end.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2125502 - 07/30/13 07:28 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Remove just the top treble first, and then see....

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2125504 - 07/30/13 07:31 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
In my experience, the tenor rarely has a rear duplex, and is almost always muted with braiding.

It certainly does not look original, but in it's past maybe the owner liked a "drier" sound.

If it's all one piece (going under the struts of the plate) just use scissors to cut it.

I would try it.

All the best.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2125602 - 07/30/13 11:02 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
Craig Hair Offline

Loc: Holyoke, MA
It would be worthwhile to unweave a section and see if you like it. I suspect though that you will put the braid back. untuned rear "duplexes" of this sort just tend to contribute noise. Rather than gain anything musical, there is just a loss of purity. I have seen them with no muting, but more often they are braided like yours or are fitted with a strip of felt on the bead...usually orange for some reason.

OT As a man with a reproducer,(or two?)you may know someone who would have use for a complete duo-art mechanism. When I collected it, I was thinking I would someday find a Steinway ex-player. The players have come and gone and I am just never going to do anything with this, if I'm to be honest. It needs a home badly. Motor, bib, even the tags from the controll levers.

hampshirepiano.co
soundboardrecrown.com

If I seem slow, I simply must be stopped

#2125607 - 07/30/13 11:09 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
I see a straight bearing bar here. A tuned duplex would have the bar parallel to the 3 bridgepins for each note (tenor/treble). Think of the appearance of the half-round bearing bars that many instruments use; they want all three segments of that duplex area to tune the same! Removing the felt, on the piano in the video, would not appear to gain a tuned rear segment...just three dissonant jangles of untuned noise.

My take is this is an original stringing/felting pattern, and you would not gain anything by pulling that felt. Noise, maybe....

Most pianos don't use a rear-tuned duplex until the midrange anyway...somewhere above middle-C most common, and I see no attempt to 'tune' that rear area at all. Just that straight (...ok, slightly curved) bar running across the plate.

Leave it!
Says I,
Yr. humble and ob't svt.,
I remain,

#2125742 - 07/31/13 08:27 AM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
jim ialeggio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: shirley, MA
GP,

It night be useful to know what you are looking to find in the sound that you feel is missing.

It always useful to try stuff just to see what happens...I do it all the time, and it's highly instructive. In this case, if you find anything at all, I think you'd find small amounts of un-musical noise, rather than complexity of sonority.

...But...got a piano question?...ask your piano...it will tell you. Its worth the effort to see "what happens if I"...

Jim Ialeggio

Edited by jim ialeggio (07/31/13 08:28 AM)
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA

#2126009 - 07/31/13 05:19 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Craig Hair]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Thanks guys.....i did a little sleuthing on the web for pics of this model piano...found a few, and they both had the same felt for the whole piano, and found one that did not. Craig, Jeff, I also listened to a few notes without the felt....not that much difference in the overall tone, however, the 3 strings of each note did have this "out of tune" noise that area. I think having the whole piano without the felt would not have the best sound. The wound bass notes do sound better without braiding.

I have seen discussions here on PW in regards to a "tuneable" rear duplex...the jury seems to be out whether it contributes positively to the overall sound. My M&H has individual bars that can be moved for each note. It's never been done on my piano as long as I have had it. The rebuilder told me he marked each bar before he removed them, and placed them back in the same position.

Jim, it was just out of curiosity and a desire to improve the sound of this 4ft 8 grand.

#2126028 - 07/31/13 06:07 PM Re: Rear Duplex muting........? [Re: Grandpianoman]
Bojan Babic Offline

Loc: Vojvodina, Serbia
I have struggled for years to get clear treble tones on one old grand piano, and could not succeed until I inserted a felt stripe between the strings of the duplex in the treble section. It made tones much more clear.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 09:09 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159366 Topics
2341038 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission