2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 370 1 2 3 4 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wonderfull Thanks Griffin. I also thought that at 70 years old he is just so inspirational.. hope for us all yet type thing!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Ian Hunter one of the best all time "Rock Ballad" writers, CASINITALY you have surprised me...

Usually seen on the keyboard/Piano.. he also plays guitar..

If any wants I have music, chords and lyrics for this beautifull song.

Well, Ros, I am the first to admit I have a lot to learn.

I REALLY enjoyed that song. I'd love to have the music chords and lyrics.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Wonderfull Thanks Griffin. I also thought that at 70 years old he is just so inspirational.. hope for us all yet type thing!

Indeed, it is an inspiration. I'm curious as to when MTH was at the height of their career? I always find it interesting when I can think back on what might have been going on in my life at the time, and what music I was probably listening to.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya Griffin, well that is actually a complex question you asked there!
If you check this link and scoll down to "The glam years" this gives the best timeline for things that is acurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mott_the_Hoople

While you are reading have a listen to this for Rock an Roll.
Here is a quote from Bryan May:
"On tour as support to Mott The Hoople (the only time Queen ever supported anyone), I was always conscious that we were in the presence of something great, something highly evolved, close to the centre of the Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll, something to breathe in and learn from."

- Brian May (Queen)

Mott The Hoople were the first ever Rock and Roll band to do a(sell out) tour On Broadway, for fans of historic knowledge.

Here is a fantastic clip of Bryan May and Joe Elliot guesting with Ian Hunter on stage.
With The Mott The Hoople song "All the way from Memphis"

The video fades out to credits with the Mott The Hoople song "Rock n Roll queen" playing.
For You lucky Americans........... ... Ian Hunter and the Rant Band will perform four shows at The City Winery in New York City on 8/9 Sept 2011 (Thurs/Fri) and 15/16 Sept 2011 (Thurs/Fri). Ian is also playing shows at Havana in New Hope PA on 10 Sept 2011, and the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville PA on 17 Sept 2011.

[video:youtube]ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jYo_4EfM3s&feature=related[/video]

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ha ha, knew I would be able to sneak Lady Gaga in here SOMEHOW, without being OT!

Don't Booo this of the Thread Rostosky smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/06/11 01:18 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I am so disgusted Wayne (writes disgusted from Tunbridge wells) You have Hijacked my Fred (my uncle) with Lady gaga.

You have no humour, this is NOT funny, why dont you start your own thread or better still do a blog on Halibuts.

WAYNE> That wasn't me talking then, I got possesed by the Spirit Of RapperJohn. I am so so sorry,
This is the third time I have been possesed by RapperJohn.

Here is Rapperjohn in action singing Poker face by lady gaga.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Most excellent Rostosky smile

Better than Lady Gaga. I am actually familiar with him,I went to see him once, live, he was brilliant, although slightly spoilt at the end, when his attempt to play Barcelona Girl on piano went horribily wrong, and the audience began to throw scones at him.

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/06/11 03:01 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I just got sent the tickets through the mail, WOW, you have actually seen him? I got them from ticketmaster, and they cost £12.16 each +PP and a small .87p "handling charge"
On his Youtube channel there is a link to the gig in Windsor park in August, thats the one I am going to with Mr.s Rossy.

Its going to be some gig, the support bands look good, I am not familiar with all of them, I have heard of "The tentfull of gaddaffis" my mate has two of their early albums, he reckons the early stuff is best.
I think "Idi Amin and the dictators of Dudley" are a comic act, they have a pretend oven that blows up onstage.

I believe the "MUtoid waste company" will also be there, with their special blend of fantastic waste recycling.

The queen ( to get back to totally on topic) will be reading an "address" to the crowd entitled "Why I loved Diana, princess of the people and didnt have anything to do with killing her, even though she was embarressing us with Dodi, and Charles prefered Camilla anyway"

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am going to with Mr.s Rossy.
Its going to be some gig, the support bands look good, I am not familiar with all of them, I have heard of "The tentfull of gaddaffis" my mate has two of their early albums, he reckons the early stuff is best.

Hope u both enjoy, i heard that The tentfull of gaddaffis were performing, but it won't be in English. Shame I can't make it frown

God, save The Queen

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/06/11 04:18 PM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hya Griffin, well that is actually a complex question you asked there!
If you check this link and scoll down to "The glam years" this gives the best timeline for things that is acurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mott_the_Hoople

While you are reading have a listen to this for Rock an Roll.
Here is a quote from Bryan May:
"On tour as support to Mott The Hoople (the only time Queen ever supported anyone), I was always conscious that we were in the presence of something great, something highly evolved, close to the centre of the Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll, something to breathe in and learn from."

- Brian May (Queen)

Mott The Hoople were the first ever Rock and Roll band to do a(sell out) tour On Broadway, for fans of historic knowledge.

Here is a fantastic clip of Bryan May and Joe Elliot guesting with Ian Hunter on stage.
With The Mott The Hoople song "All the way from Memphis"

The video fades out to credits with the Mott The Hoople song "Rock n Roll queen" playing.
For You lucky Americans........... ... Ian Hunter and the Rant Band will perform four shows at The City Winery in New York City on 8/9 Sept 2011 (Thurs/Fri) and 15/16 Sept 2011 (Thurs/Fri). Ian is also playing shows at Havana in New Hope PA on 10 Sept 2011, and the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville PA on 17 Sept 2011.

Thanks so much! This was fun to listen to. I hear a mix of much of the music styles I grew up hearing including R&B, rock, jazz, folk, etc. In 1972 I probably heard some of their music, but did not become familiar with the group. I didn't start listening to Queen on the radio until the 1980s (I think).

I was just starting my career as a reporter in 1972 and got to cover the Rolling Stones concert in Minneapolis. Stevie Wonder opened the show for the Stones. What a dynamic mix of music that night. I almost missed the entertainment, however. Outside were non ticket holders trying to crash the party. I had to spend time covering that fiasco while the police broke it up with tear gas. The crowd dispersed, and I tearfully retuned to the performance (with my ticket of course).

Thanks for helping me reminisce a bit, Ros!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Griffin, appreciated.. Here is the first of a few "treats" Just for reminiscing !! Joy.and Enjoy.

Pavlovs Dog,
Folk either loved them Or hated them, due mainly to D.Surkamps astounding voice, apparently, there is no middle ground here!

In the early seventies their record company gave them a totally unheard of advance of £300,000 !!

Still going strong, with a cult following, this is "Julia" from their album "Pampered Menial"

This was the favourite band of one of my best mates, I would not even have known of them were it not for him.

In his early twenties, he actually married a lass called Julia, and very shortly afterwards he developed Multiple sclerosis, getting very ill very quickly.
Within couple of years she had to hold the telephone to his ear when I phoned , he was that weak.

Many lasses would have balked at this, not being what they "signed up for" so to speak, but not Julia, and it is for this very special girl, I reminicse this song.
And For the memory of Andrew Parish.

Last edited by Rostosky; 07/06/11 07:19 PM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I truly enjoyed this Ros. Thanks. I am also very impressed with Julia's devotion to your friend, though they had not been married for very long. How kind of you to give tribute to both of them.

It's bedtime here. I look forward to whatever else you'd like to share. I will look for some of the music I listened to during the "glam years" (never heard of that term before). My interests were pretty eclectic in the music I listened to. I'll sleep on it and get back to you. Hope you don't mind some R&B. That is one of the genres I am thinking about, along with others. I won't trouble you with my jazz favorites because of your earlier posts on jazz.

Good night!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...That wasn't me talking then, I got possesed by the Spirit Of RapperJohn...

smile Just the very faintest hint of humor here...good first effort...

But, of course what you meant to say was that you got spooked by the specter of TrapperJohn laugh

Decent thread so far (he reluctantly admits) ...but remember: brevity is the soul...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn, I thought you would be suffering from "Rostosky seperation anxiety" sooner or later. lol

No matter, I really have to protest "brevity being the soul of wit"
Polonius:
My liege, and madam, to expostulate
What majesty should be, what duty is,
What day is day, night night, and time is time,
Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time;
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief. Your noble son is mad. . . .
Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 86–92

Polonius, right-hand man of Hamlet's stepfather, King Claudius, has been employed to spy on the prince and report on his very odd behavior. As Polonius begins to deliver to the king and queen the results of his investigation, he embarks on this windy preface. Besides being nonsensical, his speech is self-contradictory: he wastes plenty of time denouncing the time wasted by rhetorical speechifying.

At the very least, this was written by Shakespeare, love shakespeare or hate him, It is well excepted by almost every one in the world,

That the one thing Shakespeare was not, was BRIEF.

He goes on and on and on and on ad infinitum, in every single one of his major works, One cannot read Hamlet in ones lunch break.
If this is a measure of greatness,then so be it, it is not,however a measure of brevity.

BAck to reminicsing....
I wish I would have called this Rostoskys reminiscing thread now, no matter...

Allthough Pavlovs dog is still together, it is without their original violinist,Richard Nadler, (under the stage name Siegfried Carver), died on May 30, 2009. He was 60 years old, tragically young.

So this next one is another from Pampered menial, called "Episode", and I think shows off Richard Nadlers talent on the Violin , and therefore I mention it as a tribute to him.

A most beautifull song indeed.
[video:youtube]p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBsIynooLw&feature=related[/video]

C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

C
Since I find Shakespeare more interesting than Pavlovs Dog, I think it is necessary with a comment here. Shakespeare is not brief, and the whole of Hamlet could be expressed in one sentence: "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark." Now "Everybody knows the deal is rotten." so why bother with all the other stuff? The exceptionally intelligent reader(ME?), might want to know why and how something is rotten, so Shakespeare does a fine job of making that reasonably clear.
Hope this is serious enough for Rostoskys serious thread.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And of course, in Shakespeare we also find music! In Hamlet we find Ophelia's song - the one she sings while/after she goes mad.

There is even piano accompaniment.

Ophelia's song

Given that Shakespeare wrote Hamlet (though it was based on earlier tales, as were many of the bard's works), and given that Hamlet was a Prince of Denmark, and given that Denmark still has a Monarchy (albeit a constitutional one) - I think that this qualifies as Royalist music.

Last edited by casinitaly; 07/07/11 10:33 AM. Reason: fixed a preposition...ok, call me a fanatic, I don't care.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Very serious indeed Cubop, an extremely valid contribution.
I personally find Shakespeare a chore, and Pavlovs dog a pleasure.
A lot of folk I have talked to over the years, find that when they first heard a piece of music , it has fixed itself in a moment of time, ie. They remember who they heard it with and where they were, and what they were doing in their life.

Hence the movement of the thread to reminiscing, which has value for folks treasured memories, and also a good way to keep much loved and sometimes nearly forgotten music alive.

I cannot say I have ever heard someone say "oooh,the merchant of venice, I was just getting together with a girl in the student union bar when I first heard that,treasured memories"

I am sure there will be someone out there for whom this is true, but I believe only by the virtue of the fact that there is allways someone....

Back to Rossys reminiscences....

One band that was extremely "tight" much loved and missed, was Be Bop De Luxe, headed by the talented Bill Nelson.
Here is a song entitled "Crying to the sky" taken from the excellent albumn "sunburst finish"

I had the fortune to see Be Bop de Luxe, with the much loved John Cooper Clark (peoples poet) as Support. Back in the day.

If anything expresses "crying to the sky" better than Bills guitar here, I would be surprised.

C
C
I remember John Cooper Clarke
"Expresso Bongo Snapserone
In the Latin Quarter of the ideal home
a post war glamour girls never alone"

And no I haven't looked that up on the web, it's stuck in my head along with his Kung Fu poem.

Strangely there is very little Shakespeare stuck in my head.
I'm not sure what that says about me.

I also remember Devo (Joko Homo - are we not men? etc)being canned off stage at Knebworth in 1976 or there abouts. I think Graham Parker and the Rumour were also there with Genesis as the main attraction.

Crippy

Last edited by Crippy; 07/07/11 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Crippy, I think I was there, Or maybe the next year, Peter gabriel, And I remember the Tubes, definately the tubes, I remember them doing "dont touch me there" with a lass driving onstage in a cadillac! May have been 78 !! or 77 !!

Heres one, Everyone who ever heard The band Sparks will know exactly what they were up to at the time, as Sparks sounded like no one else, and love them or hate them, left a burnt on memory, I can remember when "this town aint big enough for the both of us" came out, exactly where I was and what I was doing.

Sparks are still going strong, and in 2008 did something absolutely awe inspiring, just because Quote: "No band in their right mind has done this"

They had 21 albumns under their belt, 256 songs.
They decided to do a tour where they played EVERYTHING.
One albumn per night.
they had to go back through their entire back catologue, relearning stuff to do it, and were a little trepidatious that the fans would not appreciate it...they did, and got a fantastic reception. Quote;" we felt like a sparks tribute band at first re learning all the lyrics and stuff"

256 songs from 21 albumns, played in succession... That is some achievement...

Ron Mael is a fine example for folk who dont want to look at their fingers whilst playing?
I dont think he actually looked at much, save straight ahead....

C

C
Sorry, Rostosky, that I had not noticed that the thread had moved to reminiscing. Very serious thing that. Problem is that my reminiscing would bring us back to ancient times that are unknown to most people here. Anybody remember Ghost Riders in the Sky? Film and nice song. That could of course lead me to Hamlet again, but I will resist the temptation.
Have to go Youtube and see if I can find the song.
Yipiayee, I found it. Not the original, but Johnny Cash is pretty good. I think Shakespeare would have liked it.

Last edited by cubop; 07/07/11 12:49 PM.
Page 2 of 370 1 2 3 4 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission