Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
152 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 34 invisible), 1851 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2126159 - 07/31/13 11:15 PM New Kawai Portable???
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Following various hints dropped, authorized or unauthorized leaks, and applications for asylum from airport transit zones, it appears that, just possibly, there could be a new 33lbs portable unveiled in Oz in a couple of weeks, bearing a Kawai-red logo. If so, that would be remarkable and welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2126175 - 08/01/13 12:13 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was able extract a close-up photo of the mystery DP from the Kawai R&D mainframe...

laugh

#2126176 - 08/01/13 12:17 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

From the hints, it sounded like it will be low priced, lower than any current models. So I wouldn't expect it to sound like an MP10...

#2126184 - 08/01/13 12:47 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

From the hints, it sounded like it will be low priced, lower than any current models. So I wouldn't expect it to sound like an MP10...

Don't burst my bubble, Scott - at least not yet! wink I like to live in hope (or blissful ignorance) for a little while until reality kicks in.

You never know, they may have decided that with Korg offering unlooped 88-note pianos in a $1k machine, Roland dropping full-quality SN into a $1.5k model, and Casio making giant inroads into the pro stage market, they need to pull out all the stops. For all we know, Yamaha may be about to release an Ivory-killer portable (OK, now I'm just being irrational, I know).

#2126191 - 08/01/13 01:09 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
StarvingLion Offline

33lbs?

More plastic junk with "improved" samples. Probably a weak effort to stop sales of P-155's and P-105's at Kawai dealers.

Edited by StarvingLion (08/01/13 01:10 AM)

#2126194 - 08/01/13 01:13 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: Scott Hamlin]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Plinky88
I was able extract a close-up photo of the mystery DP from the Kawai R&D mainframe...

laugh

Well done, Plinky, a great bit of sleuthing! I can tell from the picture that it's using MOPHI (Mega Outstanding Progressive Harmonic Imaging) with ARGH (Almost Real Gee-whizz Hammer) action. wink

#2126196 - 08/01/13 01:23 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: StarvingLion]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
33lbs?

More plastic junk
That happens to be a valid way to get the weight down - just like your P-105. But, believe it or not, Roland's 33lbs FP-4 is mainly metal, as is Studiologic's 24lbs Numa Piano. So why not wait and see?

Quote:
with "improved" samples.

Hopefully yes, but why the need for the quotation marks?

Quote:
Probably a weak effort to stop sales of P-155's and P-105's at Kawai dealers.

Kawai is a smaller company, but does that make their effort weak? Have you ever played a Kawai?

I thought I was cynical, but goodness, I've more than met my match here!

#2126218 - 08/01/13 03:19 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Voxpops,

I hope you're right. Mp series is first in line for replacement IMHO, but it could also very well be an extension to the VPC line , offering a compact, lower weight / lower cost controller board. Something like an RH- light version in a case that has more plastic components (which doesn't have to be a bad thing !).

We'll see. In a few weeks you said: is there a specific event around then (Music exposition, meeting of music industry) ? Personally I expected any announcements not to arrive before September, but the earlier the better...

Edited by JFP (08/01/13 03:19 AM)

#2126224 - 08/01/13 03:52 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south

Well done, Plinky, a great bit of sleuthing! I can tell from the picture that it's using MOPHI (Mega Outstanding Progressive Harmonic Imaging) with ARGH (Almost Real Gee-whizz Hammer) action. wink

- or it could be Simulated Harmonically Interpolated Tonal Extension...let's hope not.

Anyway, I'm currently running a fever on the decision over a VPC1 or an ES7, so this news could be very timely for me, thanks for the alert.

#2126225 - 08/01/13 03:55 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Very interesting. Either an RH2-based controller or an update of the EP3 would be pretty big news around here. I guess the MP6 could use a refresh as well, though I wouldn't expect it to be super cheap as suggested above. We'll keep our eyes on this one for sure.

Did I miss the hints? I assume they weren't in this forum because I feel like I check it pretty regularly.

#2126229 - 08/01/13 04:03 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: JFP]
StarvingLion Offline

Originally Posted By: JFP
Hi Voxpops,

I hope you're right. Mp series is first in line for replacement IMHO, but it could also very well be an extension to the VPC line , offering a compact, lower weight / lower cost controller board. Something like an RH- light version in a case that has more plastic components (which doesn't have to be a bad thing !).

We'll see. In a few weeks you said: is there a specific event around then (Music exposition, meeting of music industry) ? Personally I expected any announcements not to arrive before September, but the earlier the better...

If they do that now, a lot of VPC1 orders waiting to be filled will be cancelled. Doesn't make any sense to offer a lower priced unit when demand is out of this world.

Kawai doesn't have a cheap slab with market traction. The Yamaha's clean up in that space.

I bet the resident troll was right. This is the beginning of The Great Hardware Piano Pricing Crash. The star of the show will have to be Roland who has the most to lose. What will they do? They will make the most noise in the end.

Edited by StarvingLion (08/01/13 04:09 AM)

#2126241 - 08/01/13 04:59 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
Gijs Offline

"The Great Hardware Piano Pricing Crash"

StarvingLion, you remind me of some random doomsayer on the streets that everyone ignores.

#2126243 - 08/01/13 05:04 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: Gijs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

StarvingLion has a bit of a brand bias and tends to caricature the whole thing but I think there’s more than a grain of truth in what he's saying.

I'm not ignoring him.

#2126245 - 08/01/13 05:11 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Petro Offline

Loc: North Land
Originally Posted By: Plinky88

laugh

Whau... Do you see those mysterious little black strips in between of the white keys? They probably mean the new RHIII-2F floating keybed recently invented. Can't help waiting...

#2126271 - 08/01/13 07:08 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
This is great news if true. Ive been reluctantly using my ES7 for gigs this summer. It's been working out great, but such a nice DP that I rather keep at home full time and use second board for the road (preferable Kawai). I almost pulled the trigger on a PX5S, then considered and MP6, but now I will absolutely wait and see.

Voxpops, any chance you can give a little more detail on the hints you heard? i.e. controller or dp? 76 or 88? If not, I understand. Regardless, I just hope Xmas comes very early this year.

#2126275 - 08/01/13 07:40 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: Marko in Boston]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Voxpops, any chance you can give a little more detail on the hints you heard? i.e. controller or dp? 76 or 88? If not, I understand. Regardless, I just hope Xmas comes very early this year.

Sorry, Marko, I'm only reiterating what's already been released into the public domain (mainly via Keyboard Corner), and I have no detailed inside knowledge. I suppose it could be a controller to compete with Roland's A-88, but although that's a growing sector due to the increasing use of software, weight is less of an issue for that market, and Kawai has it pretty much sewn up already with the VPC. I agree with Starving Lion that it doesn't make too much sense to throw in a competing unit at this stage of the VPC's life cycle.

This is what James said in a thread about entry-level (88-note) pianos:

"...if you're willing to wait a little while, there might be something suitable from Kawai exhibited at the Australian Musician Association Convention (AMAC) in a couple of weeks.

No Clav though, I'm afraid...
"

So, it does sound like a less expensive, pared-down instrument but with some onboard sounds. Maybe, as gvfarns pondered, it's the replacement for the EP3, which would hopefully retain the principal qualities of the ES7 in a more mobile package. That would be nice - very useful in fact, and a direct competitor to the Roland FP-50. And, if you go back and read the runes from a thread a few weeks ago (which one, I can't remember), it's also possible that the MP replacements could be with us before the end of the year.

Edit: As a footnote, I would add that I found it odd that the retailer, Kraft, released a new video to promote the EP3 a few weeks ago (their old one was done about 3 years ago). It occurred to me then that they were suddenly needing to shift stock.

Edited by voxpops (08/01/13 07:52 AM)

#2126298 - 08/01/13 09:16 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
HwyStar Offline

What if it's an organ controller? They have the piano controller tightly wrapped up...

#2126306 - 08/01/13 09:35 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
AMAC...well , that's 10 ~ 12th of august. That's not such a long wait. Hope it ain't for nothing...

Perhaps James can do a viral like appearance of a single added detail every week; starting now. Like with the revelation of the VPC (and VPC website). A key a day, keeps speculation away ;-)

#2126307 - 08/01/13 09:38 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: StarvingLion]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"The star of the show will have to be Roland who has the most to lose. What will they do? They will make the most noise in the end."

Might be able to pick one up cheap . . .

""

#2126324 - 08/01/13 10:15 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This is what James said in a thread about entry-level (88-note) pianos:

"[i]...if you're willing to wait a little while, there might be something suitable from Kawai exhibited at the Australian Musician Association Convention (AMAC) in a couple of weeks.

It's also worth noting that the person to which he was replying was asking for an entry level 88-key digital piano with built-in speakers, under 30 lbs, competitive with models like Yamaha P35/P105, Korg SP170, and Casio. KJ asked if 33 lbs would be too much. So I think it's a safe bet that it's we're talking about a 33 lb digital piano with built in speakers, low cost, possibly under or not far from $600, since that's where those others are.

#2126344 - 08/01/13 10:50 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: anotherscott]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
...possibly under or not far from $600, since that's where those others are.

I'd be very surprized if Kawai ever makes a piano that sells for near $600. At the moment their low end piano, the EP3, sells for $1100 or so. That's the price point I'm expecting if they come out with a new "entry level" 33 pounder. Although it's far more expensive than the pianos you just mentioned, it could still be considered a competitor if it weighs around the same and fulfills the same function.

Kawai doesn't have a cheap action like GHS to put in low-end stuff and they don't have the scale Yamaha has. They haven't manifested the cost-cutting ability of Casio. If we are thinking of $600 as entry level, I don't think Kawai will ever have an entry level piano.

#2126350 - 08/01/13 11:01 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it's the EP3 replacement. That lacks the bells and whistles of the ES series, is significantly cheaper, and yet is a competent performer. If the new model is aggressively priced (well under $1k street) it will compete with the Yamaha P-105 and Casio PX-150, but it needs to be at least as good, and potentially better. The P-105 is already very good for someone who needs a simple lightweight piano and Rhodes board with line-outs and speakers, and so Kawai will have to provide something sonically excellent if they are to respond adequately. PHI with the new resonance algorithms but with lower polyphony than the ES7 may be sufficient. I accept that we'll probably not see anything better than PHI in this model, but I'll wager it has at least RH, if not RHII, action.

Now I expect I'll be proven completely wrong on all counts!

Edited by voxpops (08/01/13 11:03 AM)

#2126356 - 08/01/13 11:16 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

One thing I forgot is that the EP series has been US only. In Europe, the ES7 is significantly cheaper than in the US where it seems artificially inflated to allow room for the EP3 (presumably to keep internet retailers happy and not concerned about competition from the ES). If this new piano is marketed worldwide, it may change the equation a little.

#2126357 - 08/01/13 11:18 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
voxpops, I have read your post, here:

Following various hints dropped, authorized or unauthorized leaks, and applications for asylum from airport transit zones, it appears that, just possibly, there could be a new 33lbs portable unveiled in Oz in a couple of weeks, bearing a Kawai-red logo. If so, that would be remarkable and welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

I don't understand the post. There is excitement for some reason. Currently the P95 yam weighs 26 pounds 7 oz and costs $600 Canadian I bought a year ago. So dirt cheap for a digital piano. What don't I understand about the post?

cheers,

#2126363 - 08/01/13 11:37 AM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: Michael_99]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
voxpops, I have read your post, here:

I don't understand the post. There is excitement for some reason. Currently the P95 yam weighs 26 pounds 7 oz and costs $600 Canadian I bought a year ago. So dirt cheap for a digital piano. What don't I understand about the post?

cheers,

It's simply that Kawai has not competed in the sub-40lbs market before (as far as I'm aware). For many people who would prefer Kawai to Casio or Yamaha but need to travel with their piano, it means they now have a choice. Kawai actions are generally superior, which is a big plus, and providing they use a better sample engine than is in the competing boards, they will be satisfying a lot of semi-pro and hobbyist players.

On the other hand, if they dumb everything down to meet a price point, it will not be remarkable at all, and they may lose support.

#2126385 - 08/01/13 12:19 PM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it's the EP3 replacement....

....Now I expect I'll be proven completely wrong on all counts!

For what it's worth, I agree. So we might both be wrong. But the EP3 is conspicuously outdated now within the Kawai range and is long overdue for replacement.

#2126389 - 08/01/13 12:37 PM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Shame. As someone who is thinking of jumping the PX-150 ship, this won't be a tempter for me at all.

But good news for the market, for competition, and for those still looking to buy. More choice is always good...

#2126390 - 08/01/13 12:37 PM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: HwyStar]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HwyStar
What if it's an organ controller? They have the piano controller tightly wrapped up...

I truly hope it is an organ (or synth) controller of the same superb quality as the VPC1.

#2126391 - 08/01/13 12:38 PM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Warning: OT swerve. Please talk among yourselves - back in a jiffy. wink

How's that CP1 working out for you, Steve. Not missing the MP10 etc?

#2126406 - 08/01/13 01:13 PM Re: New Kawai Portable??? [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

OK, here's what I'd like to see happen (although I can pretty much guarantee it won't frown ). Kawai takes their best sound engine, be it UPHI or HIXL, and marries it to RHII and a lightweight chassis with speakers. Voila! A 33lbs board that concentrates on great sounding and responding pianos and EPs with little else to get in the way. With such a product priced at somewhere between $1.3k and $1.8k, Kawai could get one into the hands of nearly every gigging piano player on the planet. Simple, no?

Of course the marketing gurus would put every obstacle possible in the way of such a straightforward strategy, citing competition for their other boards. What they will fail to realize is that Casio is pretty much trying to do just that, albeit with, arguably, lower-end samples - and winning. I'll stop now as I realize I'm in danger of siding with Starving Lion about a weak response where Kawai puts in the minimum level of technology they can get away with. We just don't know, so I'm going to stay cheerful and optimistic. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Going from ETD to aural - only octaves, only bass
by pinkfloydhomer
11/25/14 05:28 PM
The less I practice, the better I get :-)
by Mark_C
11/25/14 04:49 PM
Reasons behind notes as letters rather than numbers?
by TowardsTheEdge
11/25/14 04:31 PM
collard & collard
by Bob Newbie
11/25/14 03:39 PM
What's your definition of music?
by juliantoha624
11/25/14 03:21 PM
Forum Stats
77041 Members
42 Forums
159348 Topics
2340732 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission