2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dcb Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello. I'm going to be in Paris for a week in August and am very excited to see the city. I'm going to be touring the Pleyel factory...I think that is going to be very interesting.

Does anyone know of any other interesting piano/ music related things to do in Paris? Would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Not very funny, but there is the Père Lachais cemetery with Chopin's grave.

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
If you are in the mood to practice, there are piano stores that offer practice rooms for a fee (about $20 an hour!).

You're looking for "un salon de répétition" (Uhn sah-lown deu ray-pay-ti-syown) [Send all the 'n's into your nose]

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
You don't need to go to Paris to do this, but I'd recommend reading "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" either before you go or during your trip. <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=piano+shop+on+the+left+bank>

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
See the Opera House. It is just jaw dropping. Fru Fru Extraordinaire.

A totally non-music related item that was just astounding in its own rather macabre way was the catacombs. In the 1700s, the cemeteries ran out of room, and they were causing issues with the water wells that Paris relies on. So, they closed the cemeteries and moved all the bones to an abandoned stone quarry. It goes for miles under the city. If you go, be there when they open at 10, since the number of visitors is limited and they stop admission at 4. 180 steps down a circular staircase, so not for anyone mobility challenged. I didn't particularly want to go, but I'm glad I did, it was quite amazing and clearly done with great reverence. There's a metro stop there.

We just returned today from a 9 day trip. I didn't do any practicing, sorry to say. But we did tip the two guys with accordions who sang on the metro, thus furthering their musical careers...

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
The Pleyel factory sounds fun.

There is also a used piano shop on the Rue du Faubourg St-Honoré, a few steps across from the Pleyel showroom there. They were pretty friendly about allowing us to come in and play around a bit when I was there. But, they don't have seating in front of most of the pianos. Don't know if they will be open in August when all of France is on holiday.

Last edited by jdw; 07/30/13 08:36 PM.

1989 Baldwin R
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
You might head up (north, I think) to the Cite de la Musique. There's a nice public museum there of music history. It's in a shabby neighborhood near the end of a subway line. Obviously a throw-money-into-a poor-district government project. Also a concert hall adjacent.

It's nice to go up to the Sacré Coeur and hang out at top of the steps in the late afternoon before the sun sets. There are sometimes buskers playing accordion and the like. It's a nice atmosphere. Also, if you walk around to the top and left of the Sacré Coeur, there is the Place du Tertre which is also a nice area to stroll around and maybe have a drink.

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
You also might want to attend a classical concert at L'église de la Madeleine, a famous church in Paris.

In August, they will have Vivaldi's 4 Seasons on various dates. Also in August they will have Mozart's Requiem.

See here for more details: Classical Events at La Madeleine

Here is a video of Vivaldi being played at La Madeleine.. Really nice acoustics.

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission