Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 17 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#2142661 - 09/02/13 04:21 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Summer holidays are finally over, and tonight is lesson time. Yay!

I'll go over last week's goals and determine new ones after the lesson. Spoiler: I did not learn the Clementi sonatina whistle

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2142685 - 09/02/13 06:51 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: aTallGuyNH]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
#23 & 24 aren't too bad once you get accustomed to them, you're just sliding up a bit, but the basic patterns are the same as the prior measures.

If I was forced at gunpoint to play two measures and two measures only, for the rest of my life, it would be #25 & #26. There's a whole world of possibilities in those 30 notes. Bliss...

I agree with this TallGuy. I love playing #25 & #26. I did my precision work on these earlier. I think I am now more highly motivated to do the repetitive precision work I need to do on #23 & #24, because i'll feel immediately rewarded afterwards by getting to play 25 & 26. What a treat! smile

#2142738 - 09/02/13 10:02 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I have to focus to keep a completely relaxed left hand while playing a pattern that I can't quite reach. It is an octave (5-1) with finger 2 falling 'naturally' a third below the top. So if 5 and 1 are playing C, 2 needs to play A when it is really more comfortable down around F#. It is for one of the Stravinsky pieces. His definition of "Très facile" and mine don't really align very closely. For me, in fact some of these things approach 'Presque Impossible!"

Tension in the palm of my hand results in pain in the back of my wrist, so I'm not doing that!

#2142772 - 09/02/13 11:35 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
malkin, I know whereof you speak. I made some passages like that at the beginning The Entertainer into 6ths, because not only could I not reach them, I certainly couldn't do them fast. That was my first recital piece, almost 5 years ago. Now I could reach them, but I still wouldn't be able to do them fast. And you are so right about the tension and the pain! I may never be able to do them fast, but I can still play without pain! Works for me.

Cathy

#2142851 - 09/02/13 03:05 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: griffin2417]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417
#23 & 24 aren't too bad once you get accustomed to them, you're just sliding up a bit, but the basic patterns are the same as the prior measures.

If I was forced at gunpoint to play two measures and two measures only, for the rest of my life, it would be #25 & #26. There's a whole world of possibilities in those 30 notes. Bliss...

I agree with this TallGuy. I love playing #25 & #26. I did my precision work on these earlier. I think I am now more highly motivated to do the repetitive precision work I need to do on #23 & #24, because i'll feel immediately rewarded afterwards by getting to play 25 & 26. What a treat! smile

Do you mind sharing your fingering for LH on #19 through #23? I'm picking it up again after a lengthy break, and realizing that I never wrote down what I had done before. Can't seem to settle on what I like, but here's what I have at the moment (ignoring the octaves of course):

#19: 5-124-2-124-5
#20: 125x4-124-125
#21: 235-4-2-124-5
#22: 135x6
#23: 235-4-1-124-5
#24: 135x6-125-124

#22 and #24 I'm pretty sure about, but sharing them for sake of continuity.

Edit: #20 is pretty straightforward as well. It's the odd numbered measures that I've always found vexing.

Edited by aTallGuyNH (09/02/13 03:10 PM)

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2142861 - 09/02/13 03:17 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I decided to start the lesson (why am I the one making the decision?) with the Clementi sonatina, to get the un-fun out of the way first. I butchered the piece while sight-reading, since I couldn't stomach practising the piece for more than half an hour a week. Teacher thinks Clementi (and Czerny) are essential building blocks to learning piano. He understands I might not like this particular piece, so he proceeded to demonstrate 36.6 Allegro con Spirito. Yeah, that actually does sound better. It's also four times as hard.

After that I forgot everything else I had been working on during the summer and only played Return to the Heart, even without too many mistakes. Am I supposed to not feel like playing after the lesson? frown

Anyway, I did make decent progress with last week's goals. Waltz de Chocobo and Einaudi's "Life" are both residing on my hard disk, waiting to be edited and uploaded. Before the lesson I played Life with my balcony door open and got through almost perfectly despite the noise outside.

Recording multiple pieces on the same day was way more tiring than I expected, and I did not get as far with Grieg 43.3 as I planned to. I refreshed my memory on the notes and worked a bit more on the one difficult passage. Should be able to get something decent sounding this week.

Currently undecided whether I should just bite the bullet and learn Clementi 36.1 anyway, or aim for any other goals.

#2143168 - 09/02/13 11:19 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: aTallGuyNH]
griffin2417 Offline

TallGuy, I'd be happy to share my fingering for those measures. I didn't write mine out either. It wouldn't be any problem for me to do this, however. I will do it on Tuesday when I plan to do some slow practice on those sections.

#2143207 - 09/03/13 01:45 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
This a good thread. I just have one question. I don't want to be rude but don't think I can comment on everyone's posting. Assuming its ok:

Mozart 2 pianos - I'm still working in this for our October recital. Will play with my teacher.
(1) Page 26 4th bar - John (SummerKeys teacher) suggested 6 note trills from the note above. It is slightly easier than 4 notes trills against 3 16th notes. Discuss with my teacher also another difference in trill interpretation for the trill for a 16th note. John says to start from the note and provide just 3 note with the note above since it is a very fast piece. I have been doing textbook style 4 note trills starting from the note above.
(2) need to practice last 2 pages more. Play left hand broken descending octaves with crisp staccato and octaves runs in legato using 4th fingers. Last page right hand still sloppy. Compare and contrast with the similar section. I know I was damn lucky that I ended correctly in the last performance.
(3) coordinate the dynamic in conversation type passages between piano 1 & 2 on Pages 26 and 30 - I think it's cool to use contrasting dynamic between two pianos.
(4) practice eye contact with piano 2 at key moments (beginning, after a long trill and whole measure rest etc)

Grieg - I could not work on it at all during Summerkeys sessions. just realized I have only 1 week to record. Worked on Summer's eve today. Not really a virtuoso speed but the fast runs are getting a bit faster. Worked on Puck a little then run out of time. I will not be able to achieve the real speed for Puck. Will try to play the best I can. Will practice this one first tomorrow.

Rach Elegie - haven't looked at it for a while. Tried the first coupe of pages. Still i can play as I did before, which is a good thing. At the same time I have to realize that I made no progress on this. Need to get this ready for October recital.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2143638 - 09/03/13 08:05 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Clair De Lune (in case anyone missed this - I did for a little while)

In the interests of trying out more ways to find the most comfortable, here are my fingerings for this passage.

#19: 5-124-3-124-5

#20: 125x4-124-125 (same)

#21: 235-4-2-123-5

#22: 135x4-124-135

#23: 235-5-3-124-5

#24: 135x4-124-135-125-124

#2143643 - 09/03/13 08:10 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't think it's rude not to comment, FarmGirl. Comments are fine to add if they're significant for you or you think they'll be helpful but participation is enough.

Seeing how others formulate ideas and plans can offer an incredible broadening of our horizons but just posting our own plans helps us subconsciously to focus on them and that is the essence of the thread. Just posting, then, is good for us and good for others.

We're not seeking feedback the way we might on AOTW. I don't even need feedback there. When something good happens, I just want to tell someone, anyone, it doesn't matter whether or not it means anything to whomever I tell, I don't need the feedback. I just need to tell someone.

The Grieg is a late piece. You might get in touch with your opus leader and sort out some kind of arrangement where they have a working link but can add an updated one later if you can improve upon it. I'm making such allowances for one or two in my opus who are having work or domestic related interruptions to their normal schedule.

Regarding your work on Puck, "Will try to play the best I can" is something that took me a lifetime and a day to realise but this is how we need to practise every single phrase, every single time and I've just come from the piano teaching my son this very thing when working on a two note fragment!

#2143711 - 09/03/13 10:45 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: zrtf90]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Clair De Lune (in case anyone missed this - I did for a little while)

In the interests of trying out more ways to find the most comfortable, here are my fingerings for this passage.

Hopefully others don't mind this tangent... if so, I'm happy to start another thread.

(I'm just realizing now that this is terribly confusing how I've written all this with each set in numerical order, when I should have done it left to right on the keyboard... Oh well, I'll stick with it for the sake of consistency)

That said, here are my thoughts:

#19: 5-124-2-124-5
#19: 5-124-3-124-5

Interesting. For me, switching fingers there is more likely to be the cause of a flub vs. the advantage of being able to pivot my hand around the 3 as it is playing the C. I'll have to give that a try.

#20: 125x4-124-125
#20: 125x4-124-125 (same)

GMTA, although it doesn't take a genius to work this one out. smile

#21: 235-4-2-124-5
#21: 235-4-2-123-5

The 124 vs. 123 is where I just can't seem to make up my mind.

On the 124, it's nice and comfy, but then moving from the Bb (4) to Gb (5) is not at all comfortable. I'm already doing that on #19, but there we don't have much choice (barring very large hands) given that the 2 is on the Eb. I think I'm over-thinking the legato here (see pedal comment below), and maybe I shouldn't feel like the 5 has to come down on the Gb while the 4 is still on the Bb?

On the 123, the 23 from Db to Bb is too much for me. Not that I can't reach, but I don't have good dynamic control [ever, but especially] when they are that far apart.

#22: 135x6
#22: 135x4-124-135

I definitely have a bias to maintain hand position and just slide over and back in this circumstance.

Are you relying on the pedal to hold the Bb & Db dotted quarters there? Or just truncating them to 1/8 notes?

I guess any pedal concern I might have is really pointless though... The reality is that I don't have a sostenuto pedal, so I'm holding the sustain down for 1/2 or more of each of these measures anyway in order to have the bass note sustained. frown

Extraneous stuff that can be skipped:
Click to reveal..
Interestingly, my edition gives absolutely no guidance re: fingering throughout this entire section, except that the middle note here (Eb, for those following along at home) should be played with #2. To me that's nuts though -- it doesn't buy anything other than putting one in the wishy-washy middle between our two approaches -- providing the disadvantages of both and neither of the advantages. I can't see a rational way to use #2 on the Eb without dropping the dotted quarters, and then having the jump anyway.

#24: 135x6-125-124
#24: 135x4-124-135-125-124

Same comment as #22.

Overall, I think this section was very sloppy when I tried to play it previously. I never did settle on a consistent strategy, with predictable results, so I want to finally put this to bed.

Interested to hear anyone's feedback... and yes, I see the irony of my earlier "hey, no big deal" comment to griffin. smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2143721 - 09/03/13 10:52 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: aTallGuyNH]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

These sorts of conversations certainly would be easier with the score annotation idea that NeuralFirings posted about recently. For anyone who hasn't checked it out, it's worth a look.

XXIX-XXXII

#2143825 - 09/04/13 02:47 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]

Went dinner with my friends and did not have time to play too much.
(1) skipped scale & technique
(2) 10 min - just went over the problem spots of Moz
(3) 15 min -Grieg - Summer's eve again started out with this one. The cascaded notes are getting faster. Ready to play this tomorrow at the studio
(4) 5 min - Grieg Puck - Thanks Richard, i will make some sort of arrangement with my section leader - I will ask her how to gain speed in short amount of time in my lesson Friday.
(5) 10 min pianist magazine - sightreading Heller Étude op 45
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2143841 - 09/04/13 03:53 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: FarmGirl]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
(5) 10 min pianist magazine - sightreading Heller Étude op 45

Nice! And nice to be able to sight-read it. Pianist magazine is my teacher right now, I'm doing almost all the beginner pieces. The hints and tips on the score are invaluable, as are the videos.

#2143876 - 09/04/13 06:38 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Are you relying on the pedal to hold the Bb & Db dotted quarters there? Or just truncating them to 1/8 notes?
Neither. I looked more carefully at your fingering for the Ab and Eb but I actually play the initial Gb chord with 135 here, not 235 as in M21. Let's go through the steps:

M23
Gb major is played with 135; the Bb and Db are not dotted here as they are in M21 but they're held with 1 & 3 while 5 moves from Gb to Ab;
the Ab and Db are held until 3 has played the Eb;
the Eb is held until the 2nd inv. chord is down;
the Gb is held thru' the lower Bb but the upper Bb is released for the RH.

None of the notes are played short except where physically unavoidable but rather overlapped for a more cloying legato and a more secure keyboard awareness, even in slow motion, and not just in this measure but throughout the piece.

I don't use sostenuto anywhere in this piece - I learnt it on a pre-war upright - and don't use the damper pedal until M9. There are neither pedal nor finger markings in my edition, United Music Publishers, printed in January 1955.

#2143889 - 09/04/13 07:31 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Neither. I looked more carefully at your fingering for the Ab and Eb but I actually play the initial Gb chord with 135 here, not 235 as in M21. Let's go through the steps:

M23
Gb major is played with 135; the Bb and Db are not dotted here as they are in M21 but they're held with 1 & 3 while 5 moves from Gb to Ab;
the Ab and Db are held until 3 has played the Eb;
the Eb is held until the 2nd inv. chord is down;
the Gb is held thru' the lower Bb but the upper Bb is released for the RH.

None of the notes are played short except where physically unavoidable but rather overlapped for a more cloying legato and a more secure keyboard awareness, even in slow motion, and not just in this measure but throughout the piece.

I don't use sostenuto anywhere in this piece - I learnt it on a pre-war upright - and don't use the damper pedal until M9. There are neither pedal nor finger markings in my edition, United Music Publishers, printed in January 1955.

I don't think I can be very helpful after all, TallGuy and Richard. I was just about to post my fingerings when I noticed you both write them very differently than I did. Since I've never done this before, I'll assume I'm the one not following a certain convention in writing out fingering instructions. Perhaps I'll need help with this.

Let me give you an example of how I wrote #19:

5-531- 5-521-5

It looks like I'll have to go back to the basics of learning the standard convention of writing these things out.

I will be meeting my teacher tomorrow for my lesson. I will get his advice on how to write these. However, we won't be able to spend much time with it because we only meet a few times monthly.

In the meantime, if you think you can decipher what I wrote for measure 19, I'll send you the rest of my notes. Just let me know.

BTW, I do use my sustaining pedal when I play this. When I was a kid we used to call it a damper pedal.

#2143907 - 09/04/13 08:10 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: griffin2417]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Griffin... your way of writing them is correct IMHO. Mine were backwards, as noted in my last post. Please feel free to flip them for sake of comparison.

Richard... I have four editions from IMSLP, 3 out of 4, including the main one I rely on, have #23 as dotted. The 1905 original is not dotted. It's fairly academic for me since I've got the pedal down at that point anyway.

Without sostenuto, how long are you pedaling to maintain the dotted halves without blurring the rest of the phrase?

XXIX-XXXII

#2143916 - 09/04/13 08:43 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, Griffin, your way is right I was just adopting TallGuy's original.

With or without sostenuto, I've got the pedal down for the measure. It doesn't sound too bad to me but "without blurring" means not Debussy! laugh

#2143922 - 09/04/13 08:58 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: zrtf90]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Part of my aversion to holding the pedal for the whole measure is that my spinet does not hold its tune, so it sounds pretty awful when all those out of tune notes pile on top of one another.

XXIX-XXXII

#2143934 - 09/04/13 09:38 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Pedal is specific to the instrument you're playing. There aren't universal on and off points.

#2143944 - 09/04/13 10:07 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: zrtf90]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Pedal is specific to the instrument you're playing. There aren't universal on and off points.

I was trying to find the post you were responding to, in order to get a picture of what kinds of on and off points you were describing, from the context. Do you mean the point at which the dampers lift as you press down?

#2143952 - 09/04/13 10:26 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I was responding to the post immediately prior, discussing Clair De Lune with TallGuy (and Griffin).

This:
Part of my aversion to holding the pedal for the whole measure is that my spinet does not hold its tune, so it sounds pretty awful when all those out of tune notes pile on top of one another.

Whether or not to pedal and the on and off points themselves are specific to the piano you're playing.

#2143982 - 09/04/13 11:09 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: aTallGuyNH]
griffin2417 Offline

Griffin... your way of writing them is correct IMHO. Mine were backwards, as noted in my last post. Please feel free to flip them for sake of comparison.

Great! Here are my fingerings. I'm sending them as I originally wrote them. Let me know if you have any problems understanding them. I'm glad to have this conversation about Clair smile .

5-531 5-521-5

521x4 531-521

5-531-5 531-5

521x4 531 521

5-531-5 521-5

531x6 521 531

As far as pedaling goes, I agree with Richard. It will all depend on which piano you are playing. I have a weighted keyboard that I practice on. My pedaling will be somewhat different than pedaling on other pianos (acoustic or digital).

#2144010 - 09/04/13 12:11 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've taken the Clair de Lune topic to it's own thread.

#2144436 - 09/05/13 02:43 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]

Very tired today.
1) puck -20 min left hand only with slow tempo first then at tempo
2) summer's eve -10 min. Practice the runs.
3) Mozart -10 min problem spot only. I found myself falling asleep while playing.

#2145777 - 09/07/13 01:17 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Saturday, Sept.7-2013

Hi Everyone! I did not get in much practice this week so had to adjust my expectations about my goals.

1. Re-recorded Sailors’ Song for the Grieg recital. I’m disappointed that I didn’t get back to Peace of the Woods before recital time, but hopefully what I did do will be at least somewhat enjoyable to listen to.

2. Chopin Prelude- This week keep playing through bars 21-32. (no memory).

3. Rach Prelude-didn’t work on. This week review/memorize bar 6-8 and 14-21

4. Ballade-Glad you are inspired Richard! If you get back to it, I look forward to hearing about your approach to learning it. This week I took the score to the doctor’s office and on the bus and tried to memorize a few bars just using the score. (just RH or LH separately). This week memorize bars 166-173.

5. Beethoven-Op.2/1/1-plan to approach Op 27/2/3-Reviewed memory of bars 1-14 and started working through bars 15-33. Will continue with that this week.

6. Ocean-didn’t practice much. May give it more rest this next week.

7. Next recital piece?-Still not sure. something that doesn't hurt my RH.

Edited by Valencia (09/07/13 10:10 PM)

#2145866 - 09/07/13 04:02 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Valencia]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have had a pretty good practice week, and can see some progress towards my goals.

1. Grieg pieces - I did a final recording of Melody that I am happy with. It seems the problem with submitting early is you can always see room for improvement. Hence the resubmittal smirk. I have Valse Impromptu where I want it, and have a decent recording, but I will keep trying for better. I have a couple more days.

2. Kuhlau Sonatina- My teacher is using this piece to retrain my hand position. So, I am playing the 1st movement very slowly with drops on ones and then on two's. I am also playing it with eyes closed, trying to sense my hand position. So far, so good. This week we should move to drops on 4's on the Alberti's and start bringing it up to tempo.

3. Villa-Lobos - Continue "A" section at slow tempo. Work on Arpeggiated chords for evenness. Goal: Memorized A section at 1/2 tempo. My long term goal is to make this my next recital piece, but that may be ambitious for November.

4. Heller Etude- Goal - relaxed octaves in the B section.

5. Bach Invention 6 - The Goal for the A section is to play it to performance level. The goal for the B section is to play the first 1/2 at performance tempo, and to combine the last two bars HT. This invention has been much harder to memorize than the previous one that I played.

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2146581 - 09/08/13 07:11 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! If any of you have been following the thread on Clair de Lune fingering options, you'll have some ideas as to why my goals for last week didn't go exactly as planned. frown In addition to finding some discrepancies in my sheet music for Clair de Lune, I had some health issues that derailed my work on my other pieces. Now that I'm back on the mend, I will modify my practice plans.

Here are my goals for this week:

1. Clair de Lune (Debussy) - My work this week on Clair de Lune will be significantly reduced with regards to keyboard practice time. Instead, I will be doing some research while I review my sheet music to clean up any further discrepancies.

2. Prelude in D-Flat Major, Opus 28, No. 15 (Chopin) - This piece will get a major amount of my time this week while I get the issues resolved with Clair. My goal this week will be to review measures 60-75. I will isolate the weakest measures and break them into smaller parts for practice and recording.

3. Gymnopedie 1 (Satie) -  my long range goal is to memorize and record this piece for performance This week I will review this piece to determine the parts I'll give focused attention to for memorization.

4. O Holy Night (Dwight and Adams) arranged by Dan Coates - If I have time, I will start working on the parts needing to be memorized for page turning purposes.

Hopefully, I'll have better luck with getting things achieved this week. Have a great week!

Edited by griffin2417 (09/08/13 07:16 PM)

#2146584 - 09/08/13 07:15 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My Sunday night FOYD update.

Grieg Trolltog, Op. 54/3
Well, I've done a passable recording and can now fit this piece into my normal four weekly cycle (unless I try it again tomorrrow or Tuesday!). It'll be nice to take some time off from it. For the time I've spent on it I'm very pleased with my progress but the standard attained for the themed recital is a little unfortunate.

Brahms Ballad, Op. 10/1
I've memorised the climax, M41-47, and the second phrase, M9-13. The first phrase is repeated so I have M1-20, M26-32 and M41-47 memorised. I'll add the fourth phrase this week and try M32-37 then take a week off.

Bach Little Prelude, BWV 933
A lovely little work but harder to memorise than I expected. There are some fingerings that cause great difficulties if they aren't kept to exactly and they're continually avoiding memorisation. I descend 5-4-3-2, for example, instead of 5-4-3-1 and lose the ability to turn over the thumb. Very frustrating. I worked one quarter each on Mon-Thurs and all four on Friday (but not in one go). Next month I should be ready to work this piece in two sections.

Scarlatti Kp. 531
This is a fabulous sonata, so bright and cheery, but it's going to be a while before I finish it. Not much time was found this week but things are looking up now that the Grieg is out of the way.

Beethoven Andante Op. 79/3
Again, not enough time has been spent here but I am more confident of finishing sooner. There are three measures that need a little isolation, 13, 14 and 19 and then the last few bars need to be more certain in LH then it's done.

Schubert Scherzo in Bb
This is much more appealing than it's Db partner and the first four notes forming the main figure take the most practise. It reminds me in so many respects of Beethoven's Bb sonata Op. 22. Tovey commented that the opening figure of that was the hardest bit and I didn't get it at the time. But I understand now what he meant and this scherzo is very much the same.

It's long on playing time but it's high on repetition and has so few unique measures making it very easy to learn and I love playing this piece.

The week ahead sees no Grieg. I haven't been able to say that for a while. I was still working on Notturno when the Grieg Themed Recital started.

I'm doing one wee phrase in the Brahms Ballad, my five new pieces are Handel Sonatina HWV585, Scarlatti Kp. 159, Schubert Ständchen, Liszt Schlummerlied (see if I can finish this for Christmas), and (brand new) Dvorak Silhouette Op. 8/1 which is only analysis and fingering this week. My repertoire piece is Chopin Mazurka Op. 7/1.

#2146591 - 09/08/13 07:34 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Oh my. I guess I can say that all the focused practice means that when I'm distracted I play more confidently than I used to play when I was distracted. One of the folks at an assisted living place I play at stands right in front of the piano, or right next to me, and "scat" sings, sort of, loudly enough I can't hear the piano. I know she's always going to do it, and it still distracts me. I finally got to the place I could say "shh" when she started (oh, hey, my AOTW! I can talk while I play! laugh ) I suspect she's loud enough that any mistakes I end up making are kind of covered up. But I wish I could just play thru it. Good thing I don't play in a bar with drunks falling in to mic stands, huh.

But I've been reviewing repertoire this past week, so that I have some stuff for this month's gigs that they haven't heard in awhile. It's pretty interesting to see that some chord progressions now make sense, when I didn't recognize them at all when I first learned a piece. Progress. I think smile

Cathy

Page 6 of 17 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (36251, accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, *windowlicker*, 45 invisible), 1347 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156818 Topics
2304219 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
50 minutes 45 seconds ago
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
Today at 06:43 PM
Cloud piano
by Bosendorff
Today at 06:35 PM
How many years?
by schumoney
Today at 06:30 PM
Schubert 4-hands
by frida11
Today at 04:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission