Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (ando, Alexander Borro, ajames, anamnesis, anotherscott, 37 invisible), 1745 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#2146608 - 09/08/13 08:33 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I discussed with my teacher the pieces I will be performing this semester. I have to drop Chopin Nocturn. Don't have time to squeeze it in. She thinks Rach piece will take until next spring because I hardly had time to work on it. She wants me to do Rach piece first. For October recital, I will do Mozart 2 piano piece with my teacher and play two Grieg pieces. She wants me to play Puck at speed (half note =178) just because I hate fast pieces. For December recital, we decided to work on slow and small movement from Schubert since I only have 2 months to bring it to a performance level. I have to pick either Op 120 2nd movement Andante or his Grand Sonata No 3 - 2nd movement Andante sostenuto. The latter is much prettier but not sure if I have time to tackle 5 pages. I love it though. I also have to learn another Bach and play at least the prelude part for the December recital. This time another f minor Prelude and Fugue from Book I of WTC. F minor is my favorite key.

Edited by FarmGirl (09/08/13 09:06 PM)
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2146634 - 09/08/13 09:30 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

My favorite key is key lime pie...

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2146817 - 09/09/13 09:06 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Looks like everyone has been very busy over the past 2 weeks.

My focus for this week is going to be on getting ready for my "performance" of my summer studies for my teacher.

I will perform my Grieg piece and the Fughetta for sure. The other pieces will be "this is as far as I could get".

Today I've just been going through my pieces to see how rusty I feel after 2 weeks of no piano. The first 15 minutes were a bit odd... then things evened out a bit, but I realized that one of my problems was that I haven't cut back my fingernails yet and they're getting in the way!

So - my specific focus this week:

1. practice all my scales and arpeggios as warm ups for at least one session each day.

2. Review the wobbly bits in the Fughetta

3. Work on memorizing the left hand for Fly Me to the Moon

4. Memorize the second pattern for Evening in the Meadow

5. refresh the Grieg piece (what a pleasure)

6 memorize the middle part of Autumn Mood

7. do what I can on the Austrian tune!

I have a lot of time this week as most of my lessons are no where near to starting so.... I should be in good shape for next Tuesday.

I also have to get some pics sorted for my Grieg video!

#2147388 - 09/10/13 06:30 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Welcome back Cheryl! You missed some news while you were away wink

I've been very bad at FOYD last week, but I'm trying to catch up now, before I leave for Berlin for 4 days (with attached Barenboim & Argerich concert!!).

My goals for Friday:
1. Czerny's Study in D: it's basically under my fingers but just at half tempo, and the last phrase is tricky. I will do my best to bring it all to 2/3 tempo.
2. Bach's Minuet: I haven't even touched this in the last week! Will have to work hard on the second half, so I can hope to have it all learned in a couple of weeks.
3. I started a new piece, a very easy Minuet by Thomas Attwood. I kind of sight-read it, so I should be able to put it all together at reasonable tempo by Friday.
4. I need to refresh This and That - the magazine version, which is a bit different from the one in the video lesson, is much more lively and full of staccatos than mine, and I have to get ready to play it on a real piano smile

#2147492 - 09/10/13 10:54 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Isn't Thoms Attwood an ancestor of the pianist corner member Koji? I cannot remember his login name. He would be happy to know that you are working on his great great....? grandpa's piece.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2147611 - 09/10/13 02:05 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: FarmGirl]
sinophilia Offline

How cool! This minuet is the second movement of a short sonatina. I also have the first movement, which looks more complex, I think I'll learn that too!

#2147860 - 09/10/13 07:53 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Whoopsie - got a little behind here. I will give an update of where I am soon.

#2149503 - 09/13/13 02:08 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks Sinophilia! It is nice to be back!

Well, the week has gone well....

Realizations:

1 I don't really enjoy scales and arpeggios. sigh.

2. Fughetta flows very nicely at a slower speed. This is good. I can build up speed later.

3. Fly Me to the Moon doesn't seem to want to stick in my brain...

4. Evening in the Meadow is sounding sweet!

5. Grieg piece Watchman's Song - memorized! Without even planning that!

6 Autumn Mood-- not quite memorized..getting there

7. Austrian tune - working reasonably well if I keep it slow.

Not bad, and still 4 days to practice before I see my teacher. smile

#2149535 - 09/13/13 03:04 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have had a pretty good practice week over all. I started German lessons again after a two year break, and that is taking a lot of time, so I have had to be really focussed during my practice time.

1. The Grieg pieces have moved to "maintenance level with my other repertoire pieces.

2. Kuhlau Sonatina- This piece has been excellent for working on my hand position and rapid scale passages. It is an exercise in patience to keep playing slowly and assuring 100% accuracy and good hand position preparation. I have completed Movement 1 and memorized it. Hopefully this week I can start doing the Alberti's in 4's and up the tempo.

3. Villa-Lobos - I learned the RH "salsa" section this week. Fun. This week I will work on adding the LH, 4 over 3 rhythm. The goal for the "A" section is to memorize it and speed it up a little, maintaining smooth chord changes. There are some Arpeggiated chords that are not flowing well.

4. Bach inv. 6 - I have HT for the entire piece now. In my lesson we worked on where to play legato and where to play non-legato. I need to build that into my interpretation this week, and start polishing the piece. I still have a couple of sticky spots. I need to maintain HS practice as well, to assure preparation is ingrained.

5. Telfer - When Rivers Flowed on Mars. I brought this up to tempo for the first time today. Goal for this week is to record it.

6. Nölck- Good Humored - This is another etude for rapid Alberti base that I am just beginning. Begin HS practice this week.

I am starting to go into Chopin withdrawal symptoms. I think I need to add a new Nocturne or Prelude soon!!!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2149661 - 09/13/13 06:30 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: casinitaly]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Realizations:

Both you and most everyone else. No need to feel bad not practicing monotonous "exercises" devoid of musical context. Just practice scales and arpeggios relevant to pieces that you're learning and they'll never come across as irrelevant or uninteresting. And I still don't mean practice these scales and arpeggios relentlessly as exercises, but simply until you no longer need to practice them because you've thoroughly ingrained the technique into your subconscious. Fortunately with scales and arpeggios, the "technique" required to play them all fluidly and comfortably is quite similar and thus very transferable - meaning that once you thoroughly learn to play one well, the rest will come significantly more easily than the first.

#2149839 - 09/14/13 02:59 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Bobpickle]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Realizations:

Both you and most everyone else. No need to feel bad not practicing monotonous "exercises" devoid of musical context. Just practice scales and arpeggios relevant to pieces that you're learning and they'll never come across as irrelevant or uninteresting. And I still don't mean practice these scales and arpeggios relentlessly as exercises, but simply until you no longer need to practice them because you've thoroughly ingrained the technique into your subconscious. Fortunately with scales and arpeggios, the "technique" required to play them all fluidly and comfortably is quite similar and thus very transferable - meaning that once you thoroughly learn to play one well, the rest will come significantly more easily than the first.

Note to readers: Boldface is my addition.

Bob, I don't feel "too" bad, but I know that working on the scales is good for me (like eating spinach, which I used to hate but now I love smile ) I don't feel that they are irrelevant, just tedious. The reason I put part of your text in bold is because up to a point I agree, but since I started on the scales with flats, which have different fingering patterns, I have had a lot of difficulty getting even close to fluidity!
The sharp scales flow pretty well, but it is only recently - after months (ok, months of wishy-washy practice) that the flats are just starting to feel natural (and I've only done 2 of those! ugh).

I really hope that with these guys more or less under control that you're right and the rest will be easier.

I do sometimes try to break the monotony by playing them with different dynamics.... but ....well, scales are scales eh?

#2149934 - 09/14/13 09:17 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Scales may be scales, but I wonder if they appeal differently to different personality types. I enjoy scales. I enjoy their orderliness. I enjoy working on subtle aspects of technique: for example, am I preparing my thumb? Exactly how does crossing the hand over the thumb work best? Does it make a difference if I angle my hand? What about feeling like my arm is moving along the keys, instead of my fingers creating the movement? Can I play them with dynamics or articulation? Can I play them with different dynamics/articulation in the two hands? What about speed: can I work in microbursts of speed, and does it take a different kind of gesture to create speed? What about thumb under vs. thumb over? Can I play them at different rhythms in the two hands (e.g. two notes in RH to one note in LH, etc.)? And so on.

#2150584 - 09/15/13 03:16 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: PianoStudent88]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I need to work on my scales, also - two of my pieces I'm working with (Clementi 36 no 3, and Mozart 545, right now first movements of both) have runs in them, and my thumb is making them uneven.

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
What about speed: can I work in microbursts of speed, and does it take a different kind of gesture to create speed? What about thumb under vs. thumb over? Can I play them at different rhythms in the two hands (e.g. two notes in RH to one note in LH, etc.)? And so on.

I was working on this, actually, this week! I'm finding, at least for me, thumbs under aren't working out well speedwise, so I'm practicing the other way. I never really worked on speed with my scales - when we spent time on scales, my teacher's main goal was to get me used to their flow. Her method is to do these things in steps(along with Hanon), and return later(sometimes more than once) for more in depth instruction. While doing this all at once the first time works for many, this alternate method works perfectly for me, as I am easily overwhelmed and have a tendency to shut down. I find I get more out of things when I go back to them, too.

So, I guess since I've got started, I'll do a quick version of what I'm working on. Still on Hanon 1-4 and 5-8. I'm playing these in whole chunks to get my stamina up while exercising control over my fingers. This is taking longer than I thought, but boy, I'm getting so much out of it. I eventually will control my lazy fingers(I'm looking at you, 4 fingers!) that like to fake it!
Obviously nit picking at Clementi and Mozart, and still plugging away at the notebook of music from different periods my teacher put together for me. Very slowly, I might add, but now that the Grieg isn't hanging over me, I'll have more time.

... or so I hope. I've had distractions this week in terms of pursuing a possible career change, which has been stressful, distracting, overwhelming and exciting all at the same time. If nothing else, I am getting better at interviews. Cross your fingers for me!

#2150678 - 09/15/13 06:00 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
My thoughts are with you, Aimee, good luck in your endeavour!

I worked on the last attempts at Trolltog this week but instead of my normal pieces I've spent time on...

Beethoven Sonatas Op. 7, Opus 10 No. 3 and Op. 27 No. 2
I worked through the first two of these as supplemental work for the Jonathan Biss Lectures and my comparison piece for the assignment. I've decided to do the Largo e mesto from Op. 10/3 for an ABF Recital, #33 next May. The Moonlight I looked at again for the analysis thread so I gave it a few whirls en passant. It really is a very powerful piece!

Clair De Lune
Not a targeted piece but I examined the fingering with Griffin and aTallGuyNH and started a revisit. I never finished this last time I started it and didn't memorise much but some came back readily and some didn't. I'm not sure if I want to add this just yet but we'll see.

I normally take the last week in each quarter as time off from my usual stuff but I've taken it early this time to accommodate the Grieg Recital and the Coursera lectures among other things.

My focus for the week ahead then is still the same, the Brahms Ballad, Handel Sonatina HWV585, Scarlatti Kp. 159, Schubert Ständchen, Liszt Schlummerlied, and either the Dvorak Silhouette Op. 8/1 or another go at Clair De Lune. My repertoire piece is Chopin Mazurka Op. 7/1 and this time there really will be no Grieg this week!

#2150712 - 09/15/13 06:55 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Whoa. No focus to speak of this week - distracted most of the time. Didn't really focus until the band's gig Saturday afternoon, when the other backer couldn't come at the last minute - haven't been the only backer in several years. But I'm actually best off in performance, often, because I'm focused on having the band and the audience enjoying their time.

I've been spending time trying to go over repertoire so that I can pretty much play any of it at the drop of a hat. It seems to me that means I have to thoroughly understand it, both intellectually and in my body and ear, so that I can fake it if needed smile I never expect perfection laugh So I really need more time transposing to lots of different keys, getting familiar with the normal progressions so that I immediately know that F#m is the 6th of A major, for instance, and have a sense of the flow of each piece. I can do that sort of with simple pieces that use I IV V and vi in their key, but not much beyond that. So that's really where I'd like to spend my time. But if I spend time keeping repertoire up just because I've got 3 gigs in the same weekend it's hard to do that, and I can get frustrated. But I've got some time this week - tho I did just pick up another paying gig! Yea! *That* will take real focus, tho - it's at 10:30 in the morning. I'm not really quite awake yet then laugh

Cathy

#2150761 - 09/15/13 08:13 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Sunday, Sept 15-2013

This week I only got to a couple of my pieces. Seems I’m not focused or maybe expecting too much for each week. For this week:

1. Mysterious Barricades-I might do this one instead of Adieu for the next ABF recital. Started it long ago and it’s been on the backburner. I love this piece. The problem may be pain in my thumb due to finger pedaling. :\ This week work on what I am calling part D.

2. Chopin Prelude 26-got 21-32 going, but it’s still slow. A beautiful little prelude but so challenging! This week work again on 21-32 but also 15 and 16.

3. Moonlight-3- I’ve almost got bars 1-40 memorized (yay!), though still shaky. Did a lot of the memorizing away from the piano which seems to help. So will continue with that. Geez how to memorize bars 41-42. Then 43-46. Then 47-48. Maybe I’ll try to memorize 2 bars a day.

4. Beethoven Op. 2, No. 3 Adagio-Might try to learn this one, for now I’m just trying it on. I need more achievable pieces to go along with the impossible ones in my practicing.

5. The Ballade, Ocean and the Rach prelude are getting a rest but I may put them back into the mix this week. We’ll see…..

#2151022 - 09/16/13 02:13 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Sunday, September 15

This was a difficult week trying to get much of anything done. I was able to manage some work on Chopin Prelude in D-Flat Major.

I also got a little done on O' Holy Night. However, this is an easy piece and I'm simply bringing it back to be ready for the holiday season.

While I didn't spend much time at the piano with Clair de Lune, I spent a substantial amount of time reviewing the score because the score I was working from had errors in it. Thanks to Richard, TallGuy, and Sam, I've found a good score and am now making the needed changes I'll have to rework. I'll be meeting with my teacher this week to put together a plan for getting the revision work done.

For now I'm not making any new goals for this week. There is still a lot of unfinished business from last week.

Edited by griffin2417 (09/16/13 02:20 AM)

#2152817 - 09/18/13 08:13 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've been completely focused on my three Grieg Lyric Pieces. Now that they're done, I have a completely empty slate. I'm not sure I want to fill it up right away; it's a nice feeling to have absolutely no obligations, plus I'm sort of rethinking music entirely. I have the focused way I've always proceeded, but maybe there's some other way.

However, if I were to be focused, here's what I'm thinking about:

RCM 2:
3 pieces
Étude
Scales
Chords
Arpeggios
Ear training (intervals)
Keep up RCM 1 pieces

Ear training: melodies by ear

Improvisation (my style)

Piano party prep:
Khachaturian
Bach AMBN
Grieg
Joni Mitchell?

Bach Little Prelude

Just playing

#2154338 - 09/20/13 10:32 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

I've definitely fallen off the bandwagon in the last ten days... first the piano was delivered, then I went abroad for four days, and now I have influenza frown

Anyway, I'm working on getting back on track. Basically I'm relearning all the old stuff with the volume of my DP on maximum (something I should have done from the very beginning), so I won't deafen everybody when I start playing on the acoustic. My Czerny's study is okay but not to tempo yet; same for Attwood's minuet. I will go on with these and won't add anything new for a week or two.

Oh... except that I need to at least give a first look to the simplified Maple Leaf Rag I'm playing for the Joplin recital!

Edited by sinophilia (09/20/13 10:33 AM)

#2154348 - 09/20/13 10:59 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: PianoStudent88]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Now that Grieg is out of the way, I have filled up my dance-card it seems! I added a Chopin Mazurka for December and a Joplin piece for March. Pressure is on.

1. Kuhlau Sonatina: I can relate to the scales discussion above. This final tempo for this piece is min. 120 per quarter, so the 1/16th runs need to be 4X that. My thumb crosses going away from the thumb are not smooth at 2/3'rds that speed. So, that will be a major focus for the next few weeks. I am now doing the Alberti's in 8's, trying to shape them. I will begin the 2nd movement this week with listening to recordings and start chunking from the end.

2. Villa-Lobos: A and B sections are memorized. This week I want to complete memorization. I learned new choreography for this piece that I need to internalize.

3. Bach Inv. 6: It is finally memorized! Now I need to polish it, and work on phrasing legato vs non legato playing. This is the fun part!

4. Telfer- I want to record this piece this week, then it goes into the maintenance stack.

5. Chopin - Mazurka 6 2: I wanted a new Chopin, now I have one. This week I learned through M15, This week I will continue chunking in phrases through the end.

6. Joplin - Read through this week. Postpone starting until Mazurka is learned.

7. Nolck: Complete HT, play in 1's (drops).

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2154371 - 09/20/13 11:40 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

At my lesson this week I discovered I had some errors in my Grieg piece.
Not respecting rests.
Some incorrect pedalling.
and ...I left out a note in the chord strings in the intermezzo. It wouldn't be too big a deal just to get used to adding it in, but the fingering is really tricky in that part and I'm feeling very very very very very cranky trying to fix it.
(hence my break from the piano keyboard to the computer keyboard).

I'm not starting on any new pieces, just trying to fix the problems with Grieg, (for the most part not a big deal) --- working on the troublesome spots in Fughetta, and slowing down Evening in the Meadow.

For the Fughetta I'm to play the tricky bits slowly and stop at a specific note. One day I'm to play ONLY the tricky bits, the next day the whole thing - slowly.
Next week my teacher wants to hear me play it very slowly and then a bit faster.

#2155627 - 09/22/13 04:20 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I had a great session with my teacher this week, and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting back to where I want to be with my practice schedule. Here are my plans for this week.

Prelude in D-Flat Major, Opus 28, No. 15 (Chopin) - My goal this week will be to focus on measures 70 thru 90. I will give a lot of attention to drawing out the melody in measure 85-90. This is going to be my biggest challenge because the melody is in the middle notes. I'll also do more work to memorize these sections.

Clair de Lune (Debussy) - We're back! smile Now that we've clearly isolated the problems with the erroneous score I was working on, I feel lucky that there are only 3-4 measures I have to relearn, and they are all on the same page. I'll do some slow practice of those measures to get adjusted to the new notes and fingerings. I'm lucky all of the other sections of the score are accurate. I will continue to practice and memorize Pages one and six.

O Holy Night - This is an easier piece, and a pleasure to be working on while I'm working on other more difficult pieces. I hope to record this piece for my family and friends in October. I want to make sure I have plenty of time to get this done before the holiday season.

Gymnopedie 1 (Satie) - I will be playing this through on Monday to select the sections to work on for the reminder of the week.

#2155658 - 09/22/13 05:31 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Hi FOYDers!

Here are my goals this week:

1. Moonlight-3-This piece is so much fun! I have up to bar 65 memorized, though parts are shaky. Of course my playing is not smooth and is extremely slow due to memory issues. This week, keep working on M1-65 memory-wise and start next section. It seems to really be helping to work on memory away from the piano. I’m *very* excited to be working on this piece! The high will end though, when I experience concrete proof that the current imagined possibilities will not be. Until then, I'll just enjoy it. smile

2. Chopin Mazurka 17-4: I signed up to play this in the Mazurka recital—this could have been a ridiculous mistake and so I’m still on the fence about it. This piece is beautiful. I’m working on up to M60, focusing on M15, 31, 55, 18 and 34, and 37-44.

3. Mysterious Barricades-Keep working on B, C and D. Still stumbling through each of these sections. Try to identify what is tripping me up.

4.Joplin –Bethena-First two pages-nothing hard core. Just getting acquainted with the music.

5.Chopin Prelude 26-didn’t work on this much this week. So, same as last week: 21-32 but also 15 and 16.

6. Listen to and enjoy the Grieg recital! heart

#2155762 - 09/22/13 08:36 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I've done next to nothing on the piano this week. I've been resting after the final rush of the Grieg recital with added pressure from school and university as my lads begin their new academic years and 'other issues' including a biopsy that came back all clear, phew!

I've learnt nothing new this week but I played through some familiar pieces over the weekend including Die Zelle In Nonnenwerth which really surpassed my recent recording, that seems so long ago, but it was really lovely to play it now that the difficulties have evaporated.

AimeeO posted the 12th Street Rag in the RST last summer and I got hooked so much I ended up buying the Big Book of Ragtime and got into about a half dozen of 'em. I half memorised 12th Street Rag and parts ofthe Maple Leaf but I mostly enjoyed just reading 'em. They've since had time to rest and gestate but the time has come to add one to my repertoire and the Joplin recital is excellent timing. I've chosen Pine Apple Rag for the recital as it really got me when I first tried it.

I must now resist the urge to play it through - an easy way of introducing errors!

So, the week ahead...

Brahms Ballad 10/1
I've had two week's rest from this so I'll finish the first page and try to make headway on the third. The second page is easy enough to read so it's memory only and can wait.

My five new pieces should be Handel Sonatina HWV585, Scarlatti Kp. 159, Schubert Ständchen, Liszt Schlummerlied and Dvorak Silhouette Op. 8/1 (analysis and fingering only). My repertoire piece should still be Chopin Mazurka Op. 7/1.

#2155774 - 09/22/13 09:05 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Well, I think "focus" has paid off, much as I have trouble doing it. I played an Alzheimer's unit at 10:30 in the morning. That is *way* early for me. But it went really well, and the repertoire for "this month's gigs" held up.

But I just get a lot of chatter in my head that's distracting. I also focus a lot better at a gig than at band practice, where half the fun is just making music with friends, and I feel like I'm neglecting them if I'm in "performance" mode. The downside of that is that they often think, at the last practice before a gig, that I still don't have my act together. But it isn't so - once we're at the gig and I'm in performance mode it comes off with nary a hitch.

Gotta figure a way to marry those two states of mind, I think. Although my band mates must be sort of used to it after all these years. Any ideas?

Cathy

#2155869 - 09/23/13 12:01 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cathy, no ideas, but I'm impressed by your gig playing.

I'm slowly decompressing after going into just-work-on-my-three-Grieg-pieces mode for the last several weeks. I posted here a list of things I might start doing next, but in fact having got back to the piano now, I'm not going to be anywhere near so goal-oriented for a while. Aim to get to the piano daily, and play or practice whatever comes to mind. I really missed just playing through music in all the careful work on my Grieg pieces, and in my foray into Bernhard practice methods. I learned a lot from the Bernhard practice methods, and I'm going to keep them, but I'm not sure of the right balance.

Some things from my last practice (but who knows if I'll do these in my next practice). These are in chronological order by composer, not in the order I'm actually picking them up in practice, which is more or less random:

I've returned to my Bach Little Prelude -- will have to redo the memorization work HS, because I've neglected the piece for long enough that the memory is gone. Haven't yet got to HT. I'm really ambivalent about memorization. For the Grieg pieces, I worked on memorization for the Bernhard-style section work, but when playing through them I used the score -- but I felt like the memorization work helped my playing, even though I wasn't playing purely from memory. Call it score-assisted memory, or memory-assisted reading. I don't yet know what it would be like to memorize a piece to the point where I felt more musical playing it from memory rather than from the score. When I'm playing from memory so much of my attention is taken up with trying to remember the next notes.

I looked at some Chopin Preludes, but decided I'm not in the mood to do careful work on them right now, and I don't want to just hack through them without the careful work. Opus 28 Number 13 in F# major (but a very dark sounding F# major) sounds interesting, for when I do develop an interest in careful work on these again.

Inspired by all the lovely music I'm hearing in the Grieg recitals, I've started working on more of the Lyric Pieces... one by one, in order by Henle-ranked difficulty, using careful Bernhard-style practice techniques.

Haven't found my Khachaturian book yet. It's not in the normal pile of music; but I have an idea it might be in the *other* pile of music. Want to return to those pieces.

I played through some Philip Glass (another inspiration from the themed recitals). At some point I might start working carefully on some of these, because I find them all quite entrancing. But for now I'm just enjoying playing through the ones I can sort of play through, even if imperfectly.

Non-piano, I got a solo in my chorus' December concert (my first solo!) so I'm working on getting extra- ultra- super- completely secure in that. I'm an alto, and it's really a soprano solo, but the conductor and his mentor liked the sound of my voice in it, so it's mine! It takes me (very briefly) up to a high F# (no, no, not THAT high Queen Of The Night High! Just the top of the treble clef smile ), so I was carefully noticing in every hymn at church today how high it went, and checking that I could sing solidly at that height. No hymns up to F#, though smile ... but it came out pretty good in rehearsal tonight all the same smile .

I see that the straight-up Classical era of music is missing from my lineup. Maybe I will say, the heck with careful Clementi/Kuhlau/Gurlitt preparation, and just leap right into the easiest Beethoven Sonatas (Opus 49 Numbers 1 and 2).

#2155873 - 09/23/13 12:15 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Wow, PianoStudent88, F# is high for an alto, no? I squeak at anything above B on the treble clef :| Congratulations.

Cathy

#2155901 - 09/23/13 12:49 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Cathy.

F# is high and not part of the typically expected range for altos in my chorus, although we have first altos who can reach it: to be in the soprano section you ideally have a comfortable A at least, so people who don't quite have that are usually slotted as first altos. At least, this is what I conclude by observation of my fellow first altos vs. the aecond soprano parts.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (09/23/13 01:02 AM)

#2156637 - 09/24/13 03:32 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

My vocal range is C to C as well. Middle C to middle C, that is. I kick butt on Gregorian chants and atonal postmodern works.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2156747 - 09/24/13 10:00 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

smile

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 09:09 AM
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
11/26/14 07:30 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159365 Topics
2341020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission