Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2127023 - 08/02/13 04:31 PM Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
We are creatures of habits, whether we recognise or not. Some of us are more effective than others in our learning journey. We get inspired and fired watching, listening and reading the highly accomplished ones. They influence us at different levels and at different time.
We aspire to reach their levels one day... Yet we are on our own way and own level where we are. Most likely, we will never cross ways.... Yet, we learn from each other.

I just wonder whether we can articulate the habits that are ingrained in these highly effective adult beginners of this forum, present and past.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2127039 - 08/02/13 05:07 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
Okanagan Musician Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Had a nice thoughtful answer put together and then hit delete by accident, argh!

From my experience teaching adults, the ones that have the most success are the ones that understand HOW to practice. There's always a limited amount of time to practice, so those that maximize their time are those that get ahead.

Most highly effective adults understand the importance of not cutting corners or skipping steps in the learning process, and are willing to see that process through knowing the results will take care of themselves.

Now everyone's idea of what that process entails exactly will differ, so thats where knowing HOW to practice comes in. Adults who understand their strengths and weaknesses and are able to build practice techniques off that knowledge get ahead.
What's the #1 Secret to learning any song on the piano? Discover how to save time practicing!

http://www.takeonlinepianolessons.com

#2127049 - 08/02/13 05:36 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Persistance over the long run.

Cathy

#2127062 - 08/02/13 06:02 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: Okanagan Musician]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Okanagan, I have read your post, here:

Had a nice thoughtful answer put together and then hit delete by accident, argh!

From my experience teaching adults, the ones that have the most success are the ones that understand HOW to practice. There's always a limited amount of time to practice, so those that maximize their time are those that get ahead.

Most highly effective adults understand the importance of not cutting corners or skipping steps in the learning process, and are willing to see that process through knowing the results will take care of themselves.

Now everyone's idea of what that process entails exactly will differ, so thats where knowing HOW to practice comes in. Adults who understand their strengths and weaknesses and are able to build practice techniques off that knowledge get ahead.

If you have ever taught anything, even something as simple as stamp licking, you will know that some of the students will follow your instructions, some of the students will think that there is a better and faster way to do it, and still others will find it boring no matter how much it pays - and will quit.

If you read the posts - and they are a joy to read - you can tell what kind of a student they are by what they write. Even if you a beginner like myself.

Things like singers, typing, play an instrument, can be done by most people, sports, too, I suppose, although I have only played for 2 years of basketball, so I have little knowledge to speak on it.

To do anything well, you have to have dedication, commitment, desire, physical ability, work very, very, hard against all the roadblocks put in your way thoughout your daily life, you usually have to have least average intelligence, but not necessarily so, - you can have less and break all odds by simply never, never, ever, ever giving up no matter what - no exception..

That is why only one in a million, a billion, or a trillion people ever become, famous, rich, the best there is for a long time.

The funny thing is that fame and wealth are great motivators for most people, but sitting down at the piano 6 to 8 hours a day is usually more than most people can take for a lifetime - unless you love it - and as they say if you chose a job you love, you never work a day in your life.

Edited by Michael_99 (08/02/13 06:08 PM)

#2127104 - 08/02/13 07:25 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Habit number one: Stay off the internet. smile

#2127115 - 08/02/13 07:40 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: jotur]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: jotur
Persistance over the long run.

Cathy

...and patience.

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#2127124 - 08/02/13 08:04 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: rnaple]
dagdvm Offline

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: rnaple

And I would add - get rid of the TV, or at least severely curtail the hours spent watching same.

There doesn't seem to be any way to improve at the piano other than spending many hours practicing. Most people think they don't have the time but most of these people spend hours internet surfing and/or sitting in front of the "Boob-tube".

I have managed to kick the telly habit but as you can see I still spend too much time on-line. frown

#2127137 - 08/02/13 08:33 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
http://brenthugh.com/piano/piano-practice.html

Look at the 7 principles in the above link.

#2127175 - 08/02/13 09:58 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: rnaple]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: rnaple

YES!!! That's been the hardest change for me to make. It's starting to pay off, however. Hopefully, I'll have something decent enough to perform near the end of the year.

BTW, I'm not a beginner. However, some of these habits will serve you well as you advance.

Edited by griffin2417 (08/02/13 10:03 PM)

#2127179 - 08/02/13 10:06 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: Michael_99]
Okanagan Musician Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Michael_99

If you have ever taught anything, even something as simple as stamp licking, you will know that some of the students will follow your instructions, some of the students will think that there is a better and faster way to do it, and still others will find it boring no matter how much it pays - and will quit.

If you read the posts - and they are a joy to read - you can tell what kind of a student they are by what they write. Even if you a beginner like myself.

Things like singers, typing, play an instrument, can be done by most people, sports, too, I suppose, although I have only played for 2 years of basketball, so I have little knowledge to speak on it.

To do anything well, you have to have dedication, commitment, desire, physical ability, work very, very, hard against all the roadblocks put in your way thoughout your daily life, you usually have to have least average intelligence, but not necessarily so, - you can have less and break all odds by simply never, never, ever, ever giving up no matter what - no exception..

That is why only one in a million, a billion, or a trillion people ever become, famous, rich, the best there is for a long time.

The funny thing is that fame and wealth are great motivators for most people, but sitting down at the piano 6 to 8 hours a day is usually more than most people can take for a lifetime - unless you love it - and as they say if you chose a job you love, you never work a day in your life.

Great post. That's a hard truth to accept for a lot of people. Everyone wants to be rich and famous but if that's the reason you are doing what you are doing, you likely won't be successful because you won't be able to endure the long, weary road of hard practice that usually precludes success.

If you love what you do, though, you will be rewarded in full even if you never do become rich, famous or both. Because ultimately that's not really why you are doing it.

Edited by Okanagan Musician (08/02/13 10:06 PM)
What's the #1 Secret to learning any song on the piano? Discover how to save time practicing!

http://www.takeonlinepianolessons.com

#2127218 - 08/02/13 11:19 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: Okanagan Musician]
Sand Tiger Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
It is an interesting question. I looked up the list from the best selling book (wikipedia link). It made me think of some forum members that I admire. Some of their traits:
* positive attitude
* thick skin
* skill
* knowledge
* aptitude
* dedication
* humbleness
Most forum regulars are piano enthusiasts, but enthusiasm and passion are traits worth mentioning.

Perhaps more on topic is what I have learned from the forum. To go slow, to isolate difficulties, to repeat 5 to 10 times, to work in 20 minutes stints, to keep moving, to have a balanced approach (vs. all or nothing).

Breaking it down into the elements that make the pianist. In my mind these include:
* aptitude
* attitude
* dedication
* teacher
* passion

Some where in there is methods and habits, but some of that crosses over into aptitude, attitude and teacher. A person with good life habits likely tends to have better piano habits as well, though it is more a tendency than a rule.

#2127220 - 08/02/13 11:22 PM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
Sweet06 Offline

i would love to be rich and famous.... however thats a totally separate want of mine than the piano haha. for me... if i think back a year from now... what have i accomplished? how have I progressed in my life? these are the questions i've asked myself. yea professionally im doing okay... but i waste my time outside work playing video games all day... while i don't think videogames are bad or anything. I do know that I want to look back a year from now and think... "im so glad i made that decision, i wish i would have done it earlier".

i'd say my best habit is being relentless about missing a day. at first i didn't mind missing a day or two. now, i refuse.
a big one for me was letting go of the ego. i was the student that could usually find faster more effective ways to do things (got in trouble in 10th grade for cracking the teachers computer password and SHOWING HIM so they'd correct the problem... instead they banned me from all computers lol). my teacher has 30 years experience teaching. I'm not religious and never really understood faith until now. I have to have faith in everything my teacher tells me to do. I have NO idea what is considered right or wrong and I'm not at any level to be making "i can do this easier" judgement calls. I've never studied anything that is a lifelong study with no "this is the best you can do"... skill cap if you will. another habit i'd say is i am a nazi about making sure i get the proper amount of hours of sleep each night since getting serious. um and ENJOY what you are doing! good lord why would you even want to put in all these hours if you didn't enjoy it? seriously, if you don't enjoy it, save your time. find something you do enjoy and invest your time into that. also i haven't had cable for 2 years now so im sure less distractions helps a ton.

i do notice that playing slow and really focusing on what you are doing causes you to get distracted quick and lose focus much quicker than mindlessly playing thru things till you don't mess up 3 times in a row haha.

@sandtiger i'm finding the piano habits are helping the LIFE habits as a side effect.

Edited by Sweet06 (08/02/13 11:24 PM)

#2127273 - 08/03/13 01:17 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Here's my summary so far :

Habit 1: practice first (daily, frequently, balanced approach, no internet, no telly, good life habits, ...no excuses)

Habit 2: know how to practice (no short cut, leverage your strength, focus on weaknesses, go slow, isolate difficulties, repeat 5 to10 x, work in 20 min stints, ...)

Habit 3: take a long term view ( patience, endurance, no instant gratification, do not give up, do not lose interest, motivated over long time, ....)

Habit 4: employ a teacher ( self-taught, actual teacher, plan, critical, feedback, audition, what pieces, syllabus, .. )

What else ?

Edited by JosephAC (08/03/13 01:19 AM)

#2127299 - 08/03/13 03:58 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I'd say that a good habit is being your own teacher, or, in other words, capable of providing yourself quality feedback on everything that you're doing - from being your own, most critical audience member to keeping track of, and critiquing, practice results - and then discerning whether or not a different approach would yield better results.

Or, in short, having an effective "feedback cycle"

Eliane Elias - "My Cherie Amour"

Bernhard - Always Have a [Good] Plan

#2127303 - 08/03/13 04:01 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
1) Make time to practice daily - a lot of time.
2) Have a passion for piano - love what you are doing.
3) Practice mindfully - have a goal for every practice session.
4) Practice slowly enough to be mistake free.
5) Challenge yourself, but don't over reach.
6) Find performance opportunities that push you to polish pieces by a deadline (ABF recitals, for example)
7 Hire the best teacher, mentor, that you can find.

#2127311 - 08/03/13 04:25 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: Sand Tiger]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
It made me think of some forum members that I admire. Some of their traits:
* positive attitude
* thick skin
* skill
* knowledge
* aptitude
* dedication
* humbleness

Humbleness? It's hard to be humble...

#2127312 - 08/03/13 04:26 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: SwissMS]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

4) Practice slowly enough to be mistake free.

Is it physically possible to play that slow? laugh

#2127351 - 08/03/13 07:57 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I can't see much evidence that I'm highly effective--but just think how much worse I'd be if I weren't so diligent!

#2127369 - 08/03/13 09:14 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Time to practice is not my problem. If anything, I have to force myself to do something else. I absolutely have that passion and desire to do it and I was actually quite surprised to discover just how profound that desire really was, because I had assumed all this time that the reason I didn't really stick with it as a child was due to a constitutional lack of passion for it, which is what stopped me from really following my heart all those years since.

So, having restarted, passion and desire are not my problem. Nor is self-critique or overall aptitude (I'm not talented, but I'm also not somehow utterly unsuited for music or something.)

My problem is that, while practicing, I can get sloppy if I don't focus and go extremely deliberately. If not, I lapse immediately back into the kind of practice habits that made me ultimately stop progressing as a child, like playing at speeds past the threshold of error correction (thereby actually reinforcing errors) and not being ruthless with consistent fingering. Things that kind of are ok when you're a kid and not yet playing advanced material, but quickly kill you in the water once you need to speed up and play complicated work. But at least I'm recognizing it and fix it, though I really hope that sometime soon I can stop spending half my focus simply preventing myself from relapsing, and simply approach practicing efficiently.
Schumann, Album für die Jugend, Op. 68
Grieg, Four Norwegian Dances, Op. 35

#2127379 - 08/03/13 09:49 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
It made me think of some forum members that I admire. Some of their traits:
* positive attitude
* thick skin
* skill
* knowledge
* aptitude
* dedication
* humbleness

? It's hard to be humble...

smile

Kidding aside, I think that SwissMS's post sums up things very well, and Sand Tiger's attitude list is an important component.

Above all I think that to be effective, it is impossible to go too slowly when trying to learn. That's probably the problem I hear (and share) most --- we all have terrible trouble slowing down enough to get things right as soon as possible.
Many of us - myself included - are so impatient to get a piece rolling we can't cope with the slow phase, and then end up shooting ourselves in the feet because we don't stick to this simple strategy!

#2127408 - 08/03/13 11:22 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Cheryl - that's the song I had in mind - glad you were smart enough (or is it old enough? laugh ) to pick up on that...

#2127410 - 08/03/13 11:25 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Thanks Cheryl - that's the song I had in mind - glad you were smart enough (or is it old enough? laugh ) to pick up on that...

Gasp! Need you ask???

#2127411 - 08/03/13 11:28 AM Re: Seven Habits of Highly Effective Adult Beginners [Re: JosephAC]
yester Offline

One of my "rules" is: Don't compare yourself with other Beginners.
Get inspired and learn from there postings and recordings, but avoid all negative thoughts like "he/she has become much more developed than I" or "I will never play it as good as them" because this will inhibit my practice.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (36251, accordeur, alfredo capurso, ABC Vermonter, 52 invisible), 1760 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153707 Topics
2253290 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
5 minutes 34 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
5 minutes 41 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
6 minutes 58 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
23 minutes 57 seconds ago
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission