2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 238 of 540 1 2 236 237 238 239 240 539 540
Y
Y
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Wisebuff: First Loss (sometimes translated as "First Sorrow") is from Op 68 Album for the Young. N. 16. I haven't found any background history on it... I doubt there is anything specific. Congrats on the puppies (pics??)

First loss is about a little kid who has lost his little budgerigar.
Some sources claim that it’s about Schumanns daughter and her little budgerigar and that she lost him because Schumann himself gave him something wrong to eat. A very nice piece, I'm on it, too.

My achievement of the week - I have mastered the repeading mordents in the left hand of my current Bach piece. I'm still slow but now they are uniformly. It was hard work for me I'm glad that it works now!

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by yester

Wisebuff: First Loss (sometimes translated as "First Sorrow") is from Op 68 Album for the Young. N. 16. I haven't found any background history on it... I doubt there is anything specific. Congrats on the puppies (pics??)

First loss is about a little kid who has lost his little budgerigar.
Some sources claim that it’s about Schumanns daughter and her little budgerigar and that she lost him because Schumann himself gave him something wrong to eat. A very nice piece, I'm on it, too.

My achievement of the week - I have mastered the repeading mordents in the left hand of my current Bach piece. I'm still slow but now they are uniformly. It was hard work for me I'm glad that it works now!

Yester, thanks for that information ! I had no idea. May I ask where you found it? Do you have a biography or some book on Schumann? I like the idea of someone else here in the group working on the same piece - we can compare notes (pun intended!)

Congratulations on getting your mordents to work well ---- they can be tricky!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'd like to thank all those who congratulated me on my exam result. I'd like to be the kind of person who keeps quiet about things like that, and for whom just *knowing* that I got a good result for a good amount of effort, would be enough.

But the truth of the matter is, I need to hear people say that this was a good result, or else I won't believe it. My natural inclination is to think that my teacher and the jury were simply in the mood to give good grades (which they probably were, since it gets people to come back next year), or that I got extra credit for being someone they like and/or pity (both of which are probably partially true).

Anyway. Thanks.

Originally Posted by torquenale
I'm really sorry because I messed up the duet with my son, and of course I did not like to have played badly Scarlatti, but in the end I'm happy to have participated in the recital; even if I worried for weeks and I was a bit out of place, only adult between twenty youngsters...

I know you were worried, but I'm glad you participated anyway. And I'm glad that you're happy about it, too smile. I understand that it must be very frustrating to you to have messed up the duet with your son, even though you knew you could play it well. But in the end, I think the important thing is that this is something you and your son did together. In twenty years, that's what he's going to remember -- not the fact that you didn't play perfectly.

Originally Posted by dynamobt
I was so nervous!!! But, I played from memory and did well. One minor flub that I played through even though it got my hands shaking a bit. OK, a lot!!!

I'm in awe of your ability to play through a flub during a recital while your hands are shaking. I've done it before, myself (repeatedly), but never with an audience of more than one. So for any pieces I'm going to play at an actual recital, I have to know them back to front and inside out, or else I just won't be able to play them at all.

Originally Posted by Toastie
I spend AGES on piano and I am just really pleased that I have made progress.

I understand. I feel the same way about my own effort/progress ratio, and like you, I came here to show off my progress recently. It's good to see your effort rewarded. And I do think Grade 2 after 8 months is something to be proud of.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
As is often the case, I want to do my own simple arrangement, and enjoy that part of the process.

I think it's fabulous that you can and do come up with your own arrangements of the music you choose, to match your skill level at the piano. Maybe you could make a business out of this? I'm sure other beginners would be interested in some of what you've come up with!

Don't you find you have a different perspective on listening to piano music now that you play too?

I don't know. I've been noodling since I was five. And then I also come from a family where people are quite obsessed with music, so I literally learned to be a discerning listener before I could walk (but that was perhaps because I learned to walk rather late in my life ;-)).

My teacher was showing me how to "set" my fingers to be ready in formation for chord jumps in one piece and I have been able to transfer that new concept to another piece.

Well, *that* is a big achievement, indeed. I had a similar experience after learning the Grieg Waltz I played for my exam. I realised many of the Chopin Waltzes have the same basic structure, with big jumps in the left hand where the waltz rhythm is being kept. It's going to make it much easier to learn my next 'mission impossible' piece.

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Ah CAS you asked about the exam. It was a success and a failure.

I don't know if I'm coming late enough to this that you've received your results in the mean time, but from your description, I highly doubt that you actually failed. As FarmGirl said further downstream, it's likely that this is a case of perceived failure more than anything else.

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I started taking organ lessons a month ago.

As if your life wasn't busy enough as it is! laugh You are incredible. Where do you keep getting the energy to do all that (and do it all very well, no doubt)? I'm jealous!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Any week where it feels like you're moving forward is a good one, right?

Originally Posted by JimF
Whewww, don't have to think about that again until next year, but I will remember it was easier than last year and easier still than the year before. I could almost learn to enjoy this with some practice.

Doing recitals becomes easier over time for you ... heh ... Will you tell me your secret?

Originally Posted by Teodor
That was a great experience! I am glad I had the courage to sit and play there.

Way cool, Teodor! Congratulations. And thanks for the pictures smile.

Originally Posted by Allard
Normally, I start with just playing a few older pieces before focussing on (sections of) one piece. It helps for warming up and keeping them in memory, but I don't always feel motivated to practise too much after it. Now I had time for technical work, and can still add half an hour of playing pieces if I want to.

Good for you, Allard! I should follow your example. But I think I've been saying that in response to similar comments from other people for months now ... Morodiene would probably tell me to ask myself *why* I keep making the same mistake (of not working on technical stuff enough).

Originally Posted by dynamobt
Playing from memory Saturday made playing from the music tonight a piece of cake! I was hardly nervous at all. And that's a first!!

That is fabulous. Since I'm better at playing without a score than with, perhaps I should try the opposite of your technique next time I'm preparing for a recital or an exam. Play for an audience while actually reading the score a few days before, and then without score at the actual event.

Originally Posted by maestro57
Today, I finally finished learning all of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10 No. 1.

An entire Beethoven Sonata? I have only one thing to say to that: wow.

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Well it's not much but I can now play all of the Dm part (16 measures) of Come back to Sorrento in both hands. Not very smooth yet but I'm so excited about it

Feels great when a piece is finally coming together, doesn't it? Happens to me all the time, and usually I have no idea how it happened. Sometimes, it's almost as if just sleeping on it suddenly makes it 'click'.

Originally Posted by Toastie
My achievement this week is how little time it took me to do my piece, so I have done another one too. Hope to finish the book in the next two weeks.

Sounds like you are really making *great* progress. Congratulations. And enjoy the good feelings that come with it! wink

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
400 bpm?... never gonna happen for me I'm afraid.

Never say never, Ragdoll. Just keep at it!

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Saranoya, I don't think I'll feel discouraged with low exam marks because it wasn't my time and effort that failed but my adrenaline surge. I'll find a new way to prepare for that.

I think it's great that you are able to see it that way. *My* problem is that I have the adrenaline surge any time someone is listening. There are certain pieces that are so ingrained that I can play through them even *with* shaking hands, the urge to vomit, and blurred (or absent) vision, but I don't have many of those. The fact that I can *never* play the same way for someone else as I know I can play when I'm alone, is a major frustration to me.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
Y
Y

Yester, thanks for that information ! I had no idea. May I ask where you found it? Do you have a biography or some book on Schumann? I like the idea of someone else here in the group working on the same piece - we can compare notes (pun intended!)

Congratulations on getting your mordents to work well ---- they can be tricky!

Yes I have a very good book with historical and musical informations about the whole Album for the young but unfortunately it’s in a different language. I try to google the english version of the book but I’m not sure if it’s the same because the front page looks different: look here

The informations from the book are these: Eugenie, the youngest daughter of Schumann, has had a siskin (and not a budgerigar, sorry, wrong memory) and Schumann has given him marrow dumplings - the bird died at. 5. January 1848.

If you take a look at the original FrontPage of the first edition of the album you see pictures from a man named Richter. Bottom left you can see a little girl crouching in front of a cage. I just find a bad solution of the picture, sorry, you can only imagine .

I’m happy that someone here works on this piece, too!

@ Saranoya: my congratulations too!

Last edited by yester; 06/09/13 02:33 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Yester - thanks for the link --- if the book were in French or Italian I could manage it, but in German...not a chance!

Oh well, I will just ask you for the background information. What can you tell me about the piece "Sicilienne"?

Saranoya: I think many of us have the difficulty of not being able to play for others as well as we can when we are alone. I finally seem to be getting over being nervous in front of my teacher -thank heavens. I almost always play fairly close to the way I play at home now... and of course that varies from week to week. Only once though have I played BETTER at my lesson than at home. I try to stay positive and think that if it happened once, it can happen again!

[Linked Image]

Y
Y
Yester - thanks for the link --- if the book were in French or Italian I could manage it, but in German...not a chance!

Oh well, I will just ask you for the background information. What can you tell me about the piece "Sicilienne"?

Saranoya: I think many of us have the difficulty of not being able to play for others as well as we can when we are alone. I finally seem to be getting over being nervous in front of my teacher -thank heavens. I almost always play fairly close to the way I play at home now... and of course that varies from week to week. Only once though have I played BETTER at my lesson than at home. I try to stay positive and think that if it happened once, it can happen again!

uh, ok, I thought the book is in english because the product information claims that... but you are right the front page of the book has german lettering... curious!

currently I have no time to read the book, but tomorrow I will look for the information about sicilienne, promise.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi all, I have to pack now for the business trip to NY. I may not be able to post for a while. Wound up listening to final performance of Van Cluburn competition. It cut into my practice time but was worth it. I seem to hear and understand much more than before.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Talking about the Cliburn... Beatrice Rana grabbed the silver medal! I loved her playing throughout the entire competition. And she's just 20.

And on Saturday night I went to a solo recital by Rafal Blechacz, a diminutive young man with energy to spare. Made me realize what all the fuss about Chopin is wink

So yes, I'm compensating my lack of personal piano achievements with lots of listening - I figured somehow I will benefit from it. As for myself, I just keep practicing. I'm in the middle of most of my pieces, the worst part, when I know the notes but I have to start speeding up and everything falls apart. So tempted to pick up something new just so I can rejoice at the fact that at least I'm getting better at reading.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had a very interesting lesson today. We worked entirely on relaxation, playing Bach invention 4 and 6. I did not realize how much involuntary movement I was doing with each mordant, each trill, or each tricky section. I have learned to relax non-playing fingers in the last year, but tension was showing up in other places - primarily in my back and legs. As I was playing Invention 4, my teacher crawled under the bench to hold my left ankle still. I was not even aware that I was moving.

The next thing she tried was to put a 10 inch ball between my thighs and have me hold it with my legs. It sounds funny, but my tone and control completely changed. It cause me to lower my center of gravity, which freed up and supported my upper body. My legs stopped moving involuntarily, sympathetically. So, my AOTW was to recognize that feeling, and maintaining it without the aid of the ball. Having a strong base of support from the seat bones turned out to be very stabilizing and relaxing. It turned out to be a real light bulb moment for me!

And JimF - I took the lead from you and asked my teacher about me hosting the other adults students for a piano party. She loved the idea and is proposing it to the others. So far they have been enthusiastic. So, hopefully, I can get this started!

Last edited by SwissMS; 06/10/13 09:31 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I am so impressed by the way some of you keep track of how everyone is doing. I would have to write little notes to myself - yes, on a piece of paper - as I read through. Your stories are all so wonderful, recitals, exam success, scales flying across the keyboard, nieces with roll up keyboards - way to go! - and a returning to piano accountant ( sounds much like my own story) and to top it off yoga and puppies! Yes, do post a picture!
I was under the weather this week so my achievement has been to realize it's not good to try and practice with a headache or suffering from 'collie wobbles'. I so much want to improve and know how important practise is but I only got frustrated and then discouraged when I tried - got to keep on track for MYOD...
Much better yesterday and did a good 2 1/2 hrs. Now i am on track again and feel like i am master of my own domain. Lesson tomorrow so hope i've made some progress.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I too am very impressed at how people keep track of what other people are doing. I know how important comments directed individually are to the recipient. Yet, I couldn't do individual comments even for the latest Quarterly recital. I didn't think to take notes as I listened. But, clearly that's what those of you who make specific comments do. Given how valued the comments I receive are to me,I will try and do better. The support from PW ABF is entirely new to me. I didn't realize how quickly I would be accepted and feel a part of things. The support from individuals is what makes the ABF a special place. If I haven't said it before, I do now. I really appreciate the comments that have been directed at me personally for either weekly achievements or the QR. They have been motivating and very helpful. And I really do thank you all.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMs - Wow. Your teacher sounds very special. Similar to your overactive left ankle, I sometimes find that I have managed to relax my hands but now all the toes on my left foot are scrunched up to the point of almost cramping!! I told my teacher this and she just laughed and said at least its not in your hands....she probably thought I was kidding....I wasn't. cry Good luck with your piano get-together. The support we give each other on line is great, but in-person is even better.

Dynamobt and Palmpirate - I just wanted to say that I don't think you should feel like you have to comment on every person's recital or pianobar submission in those threads or achievements over here. Some do it that way, but others don't, and there is no reason you shouldn't contribute on a one-off basis whenever you feel you have something to say. I hope we all give back where and when we can, and that no one would feel left out because I gave feedback to one and not another.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Y
Y

Hi casinitaly,

I have not found much information about sicilienne, just a few:

When Schumann first publishes his album for the young he originally wanted to publish his company rules and maxim (in english called "advice to young musicians" ) together with the notes. He wanted his album to be pedagogical.

The most important rule for Schumann: “The cultivation of the ear is of the greatest importance. Endeavour early to distinguish each several tone and key. Find out the exact notes sounded by the bell, the glass, the cuckoo, etc.”

To cultivate the ear of the young and to open their view for as unusual he created a few pieces with a slightly exotic tone. Sicilienne is one of them.

Sicilenne wasn’t one single piece from the outset. Schumann first write two separate sicilienne in his sketchbook: Bar 1 – 24 was one of them, the other one Bar 25 – 36.
In the final copy he combined them to one piece.

In the end the "advice to the young muicians" was published seperately, too.

That’s all I find out.

Last edited by yester; 06/10/13 04:36 PM. Reason: two and not to ....

Y
Y
Originally Posted by SwissMS

The next thing she tried was to put a 10 inch ball between my thighs and have me hold it with my legs. It sounds funny, but my tone and control completely changed. It cause me to lower my center of gravity, which freed up and supported my upper body. My legs stopped moving involuntarily, sympathetically. So, my AOTW was to recognize that feeling, and maintaining it without the aid of the ball. Having a strong base of support from the seat bones turned out to be very stabilizing and relaxing. It turned out to be a real light bulb moment for me!

That sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing this with us, I will try it out too, I'm curious about it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations to everybody for your achievements, especially Saranoya and WiseBuff for their exams. You get a wonderful grade Saranoya; and WiseBuff, when will you get your result?
So far I never considered preparing for exams, but I really admire who do; as adults, it's not easy to be evaluated in something so outside our comfort zone - it's like I see it.

My AOTW is that I'm slowly and lazily starting again to practice something "serious" (another Bach dance from the French suite in E); after the recital, I wanted only playing around.
And since currently I don't have lessons (they follow the school calendar), I've also decided I want to spend part of the summer reviewing the pieces I've studied last year and then forgot.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
SwissMS, it sounds like you have a wonderfully observant, knowledgeable, and creative teacher.

Originally Posted by torquenale
So far I never considered preparing for exams, but I really admire who do; as adults, it's not easy to be evaluated in something so outside our comfort zone - it's like I see it.

Why should it be harder for adults than children to step outside our comfort zone?

In any case, for me the exam was not outside my comfort zone. It was a challenge, and I focused hard in preparing for it, and I will confess that I was a little nervous going in, but no more so than when doing anything else brand new. And once it started I settled down and was able to focus.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
E
E
i neglected my piano for about 2 weeks...didn't really practice much due to finals at school. officially done with for the quarter...handed in my final project yesterday =). also, 2 of my coworkers now want to learn to play the piano when they found out i was taking lessons and when i let them listen to the songs i had learned so far. so gave them my teacher's #. I hope they follow through...but it was a nice feeling to inspire someone to learn.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
W
W
Well I have two AOTW. I successfully learned to play Gavotte* and the English Folk Song.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Torqanale...they say 4-6 weeks on the exam results. And it was a learning experience for an older adult who didn't study in the performance arts. I'm an excellent test taker for pencil and paper tests but this was a different process. I'll do better next time.

Warlock--Gavotte's are fun. Playing anything that sounds like a "piece" is something to feel good about.

Thanks Yester for the background on pieces. I like to imagine the composer and what inspired them.

My achievement is working through the first section of the Mozart Viennese Sonatina #1...tempo is up to moderato but not quite allegro yet. I'm now tackling the adagio which is surprisingly difficult with rhythmic changes. The Rondo may be next year. Also the Grieg piece (Peasant Song) is in my head so I know it's getting into my fingers. Scales Everyday because I won't botch them again (competitive with myself on this one)

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Yester, thanks for the additional information. With Scicilienne it is easy to understand that it was several little pieces put together - (and the last part is the hardest, for sure!!!)
I think the collection is really wonderful and I am looking forward to "getting to know" Schumann better!

FarmGirl - safe travels - and good luck with finding a practice piano!

Sinophilia - I find that when frustration sets in the best thing to do is something light and fun - and it is always a good idea to do sight reading !
Speeding up gradually is hard to manage. Are you using a metronome? That might help you. The increases should be very small increments and then before you know it--- bingo! you're flying!

SwissMS - those relaxation techniques are very interesting --- I think I'd be disconcerted if my teacher crawled under the bench, but it does seem to have brought you to a new level of awareness about tension creeping in!
Do let us know how your piano party goes!

Dynamobt & Palmpirate - well actually I do have to keep notes to follow who's doing what. I confess I never imagined that there would be so many regulars to keep up with, but now it is a habit, and also a pleasure.
I know that when we post here, we really want to be heard - but how can you know if anyone is listening if you don't get replies? However, I don't think anyone expects that all posts will get a response from everyone. I try to reply as much as I can - everyone does what they can and that is great.
Palmpirate: I don't know exactly what collie wobbles are, but I don't think they are good smile Hope you are feeling top notch soon and back to your regular piano practice!

Torquenale: like you, I won't have lessons over the summer. I have one tomorrow and one next week, then that's it. I'm not happy about it, but what can you do?
I think I will be reviewing my pieces over the summer too - I feel like I have not maintained anything I worked on this year to have it at my fingertips , building a little "repertoire".

Pianostudent88 - nice that you were able to settle down and focus on the exam.

ElleC -- What fun that some of your co-workers seem to be truly inspired to start up piano because of your experience! Soon you' ll be having piano parties and the scuttlebutt at the coffee machine will be all about the current pieces-in-progress! smile

Warlock - That's a very nice set of accomplishments. It is so satisfying to feel you've got a piece (or 2) under control!

Wisebuff - you really have a nice collection of pieces on the go. I haven't been doing much on my Grieg piece..I know the first and last parts (as they are the same) but the middle part, though it is short, is going to be a bit tricky for me. argh. And lessons finish next week.
frown

I had a fun lesson yesterday - did some more work on the Radezky march with my young friend and we were able to speed things up a bit for the first part.
I don't feel I have any real accomplishments to report....I guess I am on one of the plateaus. I wish I could say the view was splendid but frankly, it feels a bit boring at the moment...ah well. Things can change from one week to the next. We shall see.

[Linked Image]

Page 238 of 540 1 2 236 237 238 239 240 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission