2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cheeky Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi

My lounge room where the piano will go is 4.4m by 5.5m (ie 14.4 feet by 18 feet). Is that too small for a YUS5 or K8??

Thanks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dimensions are only one factor in the acoustics of a space. Assuming acoustics that are neither overly lively or overly dead, you could easily put an even larger piano in there. Voiced to suit the space, and played with nuance, even a seven footer would be great....

JG
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What Jurgen said!

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
No. This room size canard has been overstated, misunderstood and misused for years. I play a 48" in a 100 sq ft room without a stitch of problem. The one caveat is that the room is acoustically friendly for such a small room. Because it's small, it's crowded with my desk, book shelves, a model building table etc. All these facets and angles help scatter the waves without making it too dead. Two windows (and their curtains) break up the two largest flat surfaces and a medium heavy oriental rug helps keep hard echos from developing between the wall and the ceiling at the mid and high frequencies.

Buy the piano you like and be happy. The only caveat is to be ready that it will sound some different in your 266 sq. ft. room than it does in in the dealer's 2,000 sq ft room. This will be especially true if you try the upright at the dealer in the middle of the room (usually backed up to other uprights) and then take it home and push it up against a wall in your lounge. I wasn't ready for the accentuation of the reverby wash that comes out even after the dampers fall back.

Kurt

Last edited by KurtZ; 08/05/13 02:03 PM.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
People often make the mistake of thinking larger piano = louder piano. This is simply not true. One clear example was the time I tuned a Yamaha C7 to a Kawai UST-7 Kawai Studio for a carnival of the animals duo piano performance. I thought there would be no way the Kawai would keep up with the C-7, but in the auditorium I was surprised at how I could hear both pianos well. The C-7 had a lot more depth, but the volume didn't seem that different.

So I explain to clients that size has more to do with DEPTH of tone due to longer strings, than volume of tone. Some small pianos can actually be louder than some larger pianos. Also the dynamic range of the instrument plays a major role. If the player can easily control the piano in the pianissimo range, and it still has clarity at that volume level, the pianist will not overpower the room.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I totally agree.
After having a Y150 and my y185 now, I do not feel that the power of the bigger one is too much or much louder, is just a fuller more robust sound.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I agree with some above that the room and piano fit is not just based on piano size. I have a 7 foot Mason-Hamlin BB grand in our smallest bedroom (8'X11' I think) but it sounds fine. I have carpet, books on shelves, etc. Would it sound even cooler in my dining room with the hardwood floors downstairs? You bet, but then my wife would leave me, so...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My personal opinion is that if it was as simple as having a lot of furnishings and drapes, I don't think there would be as much discussion at PW about this. Nor would there be a PB article about piano size/room size and a fairly large number of PW posters asking about how they can make their loud piano softer.

I'm not saying that larger is necessarily louder or that sometimes various size piano can be made to work in very small rooms, but I think the topic is more complex than some in this thread have stated. Except for the input from piano techs I think some posters are trying to make generalizations from a sample size of one piano(their own). There are many factors that can affect someone's perception about whether a piano sounds too loud in a given room including silly things like how much earwax a person has.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/05/13 08:19 PM.
Originally Posted by KurtZ
No. This room size canard has been overstated, misunderstood and misused for years. I play a 48" in a 100 sq ft room without a stitch of problem. The one caveat is that the room is acoustically friendly for such a small room. Because it's small, it's crowded with my desk, book shelves, a model building table etc. All these facets and angles help scatter the waves without making it too dead. Two windows (and their curtains) break up the two largest flat surfaces and a medium heavy oriental rug helps keep hard echos from developing between the wall and the ceiling at the mid and high frequencies.

Buy the piano you like and be happy. The only caveat is to be ready that it will sound some different in your 266 sq. ft. room than it does in in the dealer's 2,000 sq ft room. This will be especially true if you try the upright at the dealer in the middle of the room (usually backed up to other uprights) and then take it home and push it up against a wall in your lounge. I wasn't ready for the accentuation of the reverby wash that comes out even after the dampers fall back.

Kurt
I think one factor that may make the volume of a vertical far different from a grand is that a vertical is usually positioned with its back against the wall. Also, I think verticals are most often played with their tops closed.

If the lid of a vertical is closed and the back is against the wall, I'd guess this is the equivalent of playing a grand with the lid completely closed and a blanket underneath the soundboard.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/05/13 08:24 PM.
S

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014
S
Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi

My lounge room where the piano will go is 4.4m by 5.5m (ie 14.4 feet by 18 feet). Is that too small for a YUS5 or K8??

Thanks.

Cheeky,

No problem with that at all, in my opinion. I have a 9' Baldwin grand in a room that's 14'x13', granted, the room is acoustically treated and has two large 5' openings on two of the four walls, but I'm quite happy with it.

Steve

Cello, Piano, Electric Bass

1967 Baldwin SD-10 | Kawai MP11
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
I have heard the rule of thumb that you measure the total length of the walls and divide by ten to give the approximate length of piano for a room. Does anybody have anything to say on that? It would appear to be about right for my music room which is 5.2 x 4.2 giving total wall length of 18.8 = 1.88 metre piano which is just about what I am looking for.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission