Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
154 registered (Alan_Dublin, allakart, accordeur, 49 invisible), 1979 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2127820 - 08/04/13 05:59 AM The difficulty of this piece
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

ok I did not want to bother my piano teacher with this but I found this very tricky, intricate piece which is quite technical not to mention the speed in which is played. I could not attempt this in a million years, but for someone who is professional it is easy.

What do you guys think? Is it only difficult to me who has not reached this standard, and probably never will.

If you look on the pianists face you will note that for even a professional, you have to REALLY concentrate hard. I think its not only the technical aspect of it but the speed as well which makes it so difficult. If you can play this easilly then you can really call yourself a pianist.

Thanks

http://youtu.be/10JYBqZ9YH0

Edited by adultpianist (08/04/13 06:06 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2127855 - 08/04/13 08:31 AM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: adultpianist]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

In my limited experience with piano music, I don't think Bach's music is the most technically challenging music to play. But it is one of the most musically challenging music to play. Many people still debate on how to interpret Bach's music, and no one can say for absolute that one way is more right or convincing than the other.

J S Bach remains one of my most favourite composers of all time.

#2127865 - 08/04/13 08:52 AM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: Tubbie0075]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

ok but in my limited experience with piano playing, I have yet to play at the speed of this clip I put up. Mind, I have been only doing it for 6 years. Professionals like the pianist in the clip have been doing it for 25 or more years. By the time I have been playing 25 years I will be aged 69. But I decided to learn the instrument whilst I was still relatively young enough to get enough years of pleasure out of it.

heart

#2127868 - 08/04/13 08:58 AM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: adultpianist]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Gee....That's one thing I have never seen before.... Playing one hand on top of the other.

If you think it's too difficult for you to ever do. It will be. smile

#2127882 - 08/04/13 09:51 AM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: rnaple]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Gee....That's one thing I have never seen before.... Playing one hand on top of the other.

If you think it's too difficult for you to ever do. It will be. smile

Then you need to either watch more professional pianists on television or youtube or go to concerts. At such a level it is not uncommon to play one hand on top of another. I would call it crossing hands myself.

Edited by adultpianist (08/04/13 09:51 AM)

#2127894 - 08/04/13 10:42 AM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: adultpianist]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: adultpianist

Then you need to either watch more professional pianists on television or youtube or go to concerts. At such a level it is not uncommon to play one hand on top of another. I would call it crossing hands myself.

Gee... I sure am lacking. I have a hard time understanding why you would call that "crossing hands"????

EDIT: 2:07 to 2:12 on the video. Also at 2:23

Edited by rnaple (08/04/13 11:06 AM)

#2127900 - 08/04/13 10:56 AM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: adultpianist]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
Adultpianist-
You are establishing your own limitations. Now, if what you want is to be a professional classical pianist, then I would agree that it is likely not to happen at this age. However, if you want to play something you love, then you have to work at it. Practice. Learn it in pieces. Work at it and towards it.
Never say never.

#2127925 - 08/04/13 12:23 PM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: adultpianist]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, I restarted at about 50. I'm now 67. I only had a couple of years of lessons in my mid-teens. So I'm not much different than you. This piece seems to be at about 125 bpm, which is pretty lively.

But I play 16th notes at 116, which is also pretty lively. I don't really need to play much beyond that because that's a good dance tempo. But some folks like dancing at 120, so if I had to...

So yeah, I think with some perserverance and a good practice approach for tempo you will be able to play this at a stylistically appropriate tempo.

If this is really what you want to do - go for it. You'll never be Helene Grimaud and I'll never be Muriel Johnstone, but we can be pretty good just as ourselves. And learning along the way is the best fun.

Cathy

#2127951 - 08/04/13 01:34 PM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: adultpianist]
kapelli Online   blank

Loc: Poland
Bach music is also very hard technically to play. If for eny of you it seems easy, so that means you need still to learn A LOT about pianism. Of course, it's easier than hardest pieces of Liszt or Rachmaninoff, but do not be fooled by the score. Bach is very hard to play due to his very uncomfortable way of writing, and is just normally hard as others.

It's like Chopin's Faintaisie-Impromptu. In theory easy, but how many horrible videos we have with it on youtube?

Download the sheet music, try to play some random bars. This particular DO NOT SEEM to be very hard... but I do not know the score.

#2128009 - 08/04/13 04:11 PM Re: The difficulty of this piece [Re: Music Me]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Music Me
Adultpianist-
You are establishing your own limitations. Now, if what you want is to be a professional classical pianist, then I would agree that it is likely not to happen at this age. However, if you want to play something you love, then you have to work at it. Practice. Learn it in pieces. Work at it and towards it.
Never say never.

I am currently working on my next exam pieces and I picked out the three pieces I want to play and went through them with my teacher. We have a summer break and she suggested that since I have done the first piece, I should tackle the second of the three pieces which she said is more technical than the third. Boy was she right. It has taken me three whole days to work out the two pages and now I have to work on the fingering and the dymanics and the time signature.. Boy oh boy

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chick Corea master class
by Dfrankjazz
11/23/14 03:42 PM
KAWAI MP7 - Touch Curve
by IMOL
11/23/14 03:20 PM
C. Bechstein M-180 made for American climate?
by Twindad
11/23/14 01:42 PM
what's the best price for a ritmuller 188r?
by zhengy4
11/23/14 01:11 PM
Can twisting bass strings make them brighter in sound
by Silverwood Pianos
11/23/14 12:36 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159295 Topics
2339983 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission