Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 22 of 32 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#2126204 - 08/01/13 01:54 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- in 5-8 it's best to change with the chord movement, so that's every 1/4 note duration(twice per bar).

In my cheapo Schirmer hard copy there's a pedal mark at the very beginning and no indication for pedal off (that should a be new pedal for each measure - I'm sure you know that).

Such a pretty piece, a perfect start for the recital!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2126207 - 08/01/13 01:59 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: AimeeO]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: AimeeO
I am soliciting last minute pedal opinions on my piece, if anyone has any thoughts.
It's Arietta op 1 no 1, on page one of your Dover Book. I wish I was savvy enough to post the chunk in question.

Measures 5-8 can be particularly muddy, if you're not careful. How would you do it? Hold for 2 measures? After each quarter in the bass line? Half pedal? Whole pedal? I've even considered after the first quarter of the melody in measures 6 and 8.

Just curious!

Looking at the score I would try pedalling on the quarter notes. I'd try actually playing it to test my theory, but I'd be doing it so slowing it wouldn't sound right anyway. smile
I listened to a few recordings by some very proficient pianists and it sounded to my ears as though the pedalling was very light- "on and off" -- but ...I could be mistaken.

#2126731 - 08/02/13 01:27 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Thanks for your thoughts! I really hope I can live up to it.. it's so pretty!

#2126742 - 08/02/13 01:47 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: dire tonic]
AimeeO Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
- in 5-8 it's best to change with the chord movement, so that's every 1/4 note duration(twice per bar).

In my cheapo Schirmer hard copy there's a pedal mark at the very beginning and no indication for pedal off (that should a be new pedal for each measure - I'm sure you know that).

Such a pretty piece, a perfect start for the recital!

I wanted to add that my cheapo Dover edition and every thing I'm allowed by law to look at on imslp has the same marking!

#2126769 - 08/02/13 03:10 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
AimeeO - Arietta isn't it? It's my favorite. I only heard of Arietta and Butterfly of all the lyric pieces. Looking forward to it. This is definitely a life time keeper.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2126774 - 08/02/13 03:38 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Yes, Arietta- It's a great one. Not only is it one of those that are worth keeping up forever, you can spend a lifetime perfecting it. I've learned a lot from it, and I'm still not tired of it!

#2127076 - 08/02/13 06:29 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Hi folks,
There has been further progress since the last list of confirmed pieces, so here's an update:

Firstly, GREAT NEWS! Beric has now taken the last remaining untaken piece: Op 68:6 Melancholy Waltz. Thank you.

Secondly, there are still 3 people who have not yet confirmed they will be doing their piece(s). So if this applies to you, think of it as a 'final call'!

If we don't hear from these people very soon, their pieces will be offered to others, and we need to think about understudies. We'll let you know what happens in a couple of days or so, so watch this space! In the meantime, please ask yourself if you would be willing to help by being an understudy, if this were needed.

Edited by Dipsy (08/03/13 02:33 AM)

#2127846 - 08/04/13 07:58 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

WE NEED YOU ALL -especially RagnHild and niluh01!

Sadly ElleC has had to pull out of the recital and we have yet to hear from RagnHild and niluh01 to confirm that they will be doing their pieces.

So, the pieces listed at the end need 'forever homes', like in this video!

The pieces are:
43:4 Little Bird

Now taken by peterws

57:6 Homesickness

62:1 Sylph

62:4 Brooklet

Now taken by Beric

and finally:
68:1 Sailor's Song
(Note- its only the first 1min 20s of this clip)

Please consider giving one of these pieces a 'home'

Edited by Dipsy (08/04/13 02:01 PM)

#2127878 - 08/04/13 09:37 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- I'm happy to take on Sylph, but in order to encourage as many participants to this recital as possible rather than a few of us monopolising a selection for themselves, if a newcomer should want to grab it at any time in the next couple of weeks (before I start working on it!!) – please do help yourself.

Of course, I’m only acting as understudy (as would anyone else at this stage) we’re all counting on niluh01 to make a dramatic entrance!

#2127987 - 08/04/13 03:14 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Well damn! Excuse my language, but. You know how playing a second piece by a composer will give you insight to another piece by them? Yes, learning Op 38 no 8 has changed my outlook on Op 71 no 7. I was so nervous about creating a video for the first time that I rushed to record the Op 71. And now I am so very not happy with my submission.

I think I am going to brush Op 71 no 7 back up and do another take. I hate how not having played it, it has decayed under my fingers. But, it's short and fairly easy. So, I have no excuse. I won't delete the original recording and link to it until I have a recording worthy to replace it. But, pretty sure I'll be making that happen. I have really enjoyed working on Canon Op 38 no 8! It's a very pretty piece that I can't get out of my head most times.

Well, yesterday's recording of the August Quarterly Recital went well. I hope I can get these two Grieg pieces recorded quite soon. Not quite the rush on these as with the August 15th deadline. Good practice today. So, I have hopes to have a better Op 71 no 7 in me.

#2129079 - 08/06/13 05:48 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: dynamobt]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I`m sure it`ll go well for you. I recorded my two some time ago; not perfect, they never will be. I put in an extra half bar on one of `em. But the music demanded a certain atmosphere. I tried hard for that.

Grieg`s stuff is fantastic. So glad I`m doin` these. And my third piece, if I get to play it, is the best. Fingers are dropping off . . .

""

#2129144 - 08/06/13 07:39 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: peterws
Fingers are dropping off . . .
You may want to have a doctor look at that.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2129808 - 08/08/13 10:27 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Ok folks - just so you know, when we come to do the recital, we'll be setting up a separate thread for it - because it is likely to become HUGE (just like the Mendelssohn recital which only had around 2/3rd the number of pieces and approx 20 fewer participants).

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS?
During the Mendelssohn recital, one opus per day was published on the thread, and then people made comments about people's performances, so the performances and the comments about them were together. This meant that the thread got quite long, and if anyone just wanted to listen to the pieces, they had to scroll down through these comments to find them. It has been suggested that for this recita, the recital thread contain JUST the pieces, with no comments at all (these would need to be on a separate thread). Do you like this idea, or would you prefer the recital recordings and comments to be on the same thread, just like with the Mendelssohn?

Helen

PS Sadly, Ellec is unable to perform her piece, so Sailor's Song is available once more. PLEASE will one of you take it!?

#2129849 - 08/08/13 11:40 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Why don't you have one thread per opus. Put the pieces and the comments together, but keep each opus as a separate entity.

That's easy to do since each opus is coming out sequentially.

Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2129863 - 08/08/13 11:52 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Piano*Dad]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Why don't you have one thread per opus. Put the pieces and the comments together, but keep each opus as a separate entity.

I agree with this idea.

#2129868 - 08/08/13 12:01 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Piano*Dad Offline

If you have one thread per opus the number of pieces viewed and discussed will be manageable (4-7). You won't get an overgrown nightmare of overlapping discussions.

In addition, if someone later on wants to go back and comment on an earlier opus, that won't be a distraction. They'll be putting their comments in the appropriate thread. Each thread will remain readable since the pieces under discussion are a well-specified grouping.

Lastly, they could all be titled in a way that draws the eye, but shows the differences .... i.e.

Grieg Recital: Op. 12
Grieg Recital: Op. 38

The first thing that hits you is Grieg.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2129875 - 08/08/13 12:10 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I LIKED THE WAY THE mENDELLSOHN ONE WENT. cOMMENTS WERE spontaneous; it was good!Is that what Piano dad meant? sounds great to me

Edited by peterws (08/08/13 12:11 PM)

""

#2129881 - 08/08/13 12:18 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
Valencia Offline

Originally Posted By: Dipsy

PS Sadly, Ellec is unable to perform her piece, so Sailor's Song is available once more. PLEASE will one of you take it!?

Hi Dipsy,

I am willing to try this piece if there is no one else to take it. Not sure how well I can learn it in the time available. My other piece is not ready yet either so they would both be works-in-progress. My main concern with this piece is that the big chords in the RH will aggravate the arthritis in my wrist. So if there is someone else who wants to play this piece, I'll happily hand it off. But in the mean time I will start practicing it. smile

V.

Edited by Valencia (08/08/13 12:19 PM)

#2129882 - 08/08/13 12:21 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Piano*Dad]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
One per opus sounds good, with comments after the videos.

Long ago when Rostosky was in charge I offered to work with him to use the ABF quarterly recital software. The submissions are handled by the performers - the person running the recital just presents it at the end. It's a lot less work with everything automated.

The only drawback is no control over the order - it's whatever order the performers submit in. So the grand scheme of organizing sequentially by opus would be hard to arrange. It could be done though, with each opus leader submitting the pieces for that opus one after the other. But that is not taking advantage of the usefulness of the software, which distributes the work load and puts the responsibility on the performer.

Just a suggestion - Rostosky wanted to do things his own way, so we never worked out the details.

Sam

#2129889 - 08/08/13 12:26 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Piano*Dad]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

I like that idea very much.

#2129898 - 08/08/13 12:39 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Hello again -

The question folks was about whether to include comments in the recital thread, or have them separate! (The opleds have already had a debate( by PM) on whether to have a single thread or a thread per opus, and the discussion went the way of having a single thread).

VALENCIA THANK YOU SO MUCH - for offering to take on sailor's song

Edited by Dipsy (08/08/13 12:41 PM)

#2129905 - 08/08/13 12:50 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
Morodiene Offline

Hello again -

The question folks was about whether to include comments in the recital thread, or have them separate! (The opleds have already had a debate( by PM) on whether to have a single thread or a thread per opus, and the discussion went the way of having a single thread).

Then I vote for a separate comments thread. That way it's easier to navigate between the videos.

#2129910 - 08/08/13 01:01 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
Piano*Dad Offline

Hello again -

Any possibility of reopening that issue? Perhaps the PM debate didn't reach the best conclusion?

Or at least offer some reason why it's positively better to have one growing thread that has people talking about the current opus while other people reach back much earlier to comment on things that were already commented on days or weeks earlier when the opus first came out.

My brain think of separate threads as much tidier and more coherent.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2129943 - 08/08/13 02:06 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

PianoDad, Sam, Morodiene and everyone else - hold fire a bit (on the one thread/many threads discussion). I've had an idea but need to check it out - will get back to you on this once I've checked the options and discussed with opleds.

#2129959 - 08/08/13 02:42 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Leaving aside the question of how many threads and what should be on each thread: Sam S, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of offering the recital software. For me, I really really really REALLY like that the pieces in the themed recital come out in order, so for that reason I prefer that the pieces in each opus are collected and posted in order. I understand what you say about using the Recital software instead: that the strength of the Recital software would be to distribute the workload even more, out to the participants. But the drawback of pieces being out of order makes the idea of using the Recital software to be a complete non-starter for me. I appreciate the work done by the person/people who will do the collecting and posting, and I think it's a valuable part of making the themed recitals so meaningful.

#2130009 - 08/08/13 04:13 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline

OK, no problem, Dipsy. I know that everyone's putting a lot of work into this, so whatever is easiest for you guys. laugh

#2130214 - 08/09/13 06:40 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Thanks Morodiene. All the opleds are considering the issue and we'll get back to you all as soon as possible....

Quote:
[/quote] from Sam:
Long ago when Rostosky was in charge I offered to work with him to use the ABF quarterly recital software. The submissions are handled by the performers - the person running the recital just presents it at the end. It's a lot less work with everything automated
Just a suggestion - Rostosky wanted to do things his own way, so we never worked out the details.[quote]

Sam, I agree with PianoStudent88 though there's no denying that this software has big advantages when things don't have to be done in a particular order.

However, doing this recital in the way we are, having team leaders for each opus, for example, also allows people to get to know each other better, give support and contribute their own skills if they want to get more involved. Its a different animal to the other recitals on PW I think, with more of the human touch and a feeling of working together towards a common goal.

BTW: I believe Rossy just decided to stick with the method/software he was comfortable with, and had already decided how to publish the recital. No offence was intended, I'm sure. Taking account of your suggestion might have seemed like adding a stressful element to things.

Edited by Dipsy (08/09/13 06:44 AM)

#2130644 - 08/10/13 05:46 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
After 6 weeks of absence I'm finally back at my piano. Bit of a chock, really. My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger while holding notes with 1st and 2nd. I really hope that my hands and fingers will become more flexible very soon. I have signed up for three pieces and one of them I haven't played for years. And probably I have to complete my recordings this week. So this is going to be interesting. Maybe a bit too interesting, I'm afraid....

#2130651 - 08/10/13 06:13 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Ganddalf]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
After 6 weeks of absence I'm finally back at my piano. Bit of a chock, really. My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger while holding notes with 1st and 2nd. I really hope that my hands and fingers will become more flexible very soon. I have signed up for three pieces and one of them I haven't played for years. And probably I have to complete my recordings this week. So this is going to be interesting. Maybe a bit too interesting, I'm afraid....

Yikes. I'd be stressed out!

Something that might help with the flexibility is doing a hot wax treatment on your hands. Yes, it sounds odd, I know - but it helped me at one point.

Here are some instructions:

http://beauty.about.com/od/homemadefacemask1/r/how_to_make_paraffin_wax_treatment_for_hands.htm

You probably need a helper, unless you do one hand at a time.
You obviously have to be careful that the wax isn't **TOO** hot - but truly, not only is this very soothing, your hands feel really relaxed and happy afterwards.

#2130652 - 08/10/13 06:15 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
After 6 weeks of absence...My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger...
6 Weeks? This happens to me after six minutes!

Page 22 of 32 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 32 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
89 registered (aesop, bgiles, Allard, beet31425, AZ_Astro, AndrewJCW, 21 invisible), 1050 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156857 Topics
2304755 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
08/22/14 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
08/22/14 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
08/22/14 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
08/22/14 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
08/22/14 12:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission