2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
First and foremost, thank you for hosting this forum. Having read through some of the previous "digital vs acoustic piano" topics I will start by listing my specifics:

1) my daugther is 9 and has been taking lessons for 2 years and making moderate progress. At home we have a Casio CTK-731 (e.g. "toy"). Her piano teacher has recommended she move up to an acoustic. Her teacher already expressed her reservations with her practicing/developing on a digital.

2) I (her Father) casually play guitar (acoustic and electric)and a little paino/keyboard. I bought the Casio primarily to play Midi files and then play along either on the keyboard or guitar. Not so relevant, but I have an interest here as well.

3) My budget is in the $2000 to $3000 range.

4) Our current expectations are not for our daughter to be a professional musician (although that could happen) but for her to get good enough at playing to really enjoy playing. I do not see anywhere in the near future where she will take a rigid classical approach. She likes a broad range of music.

5) With that, I can hear everyone saying "get a digital"! (or at least all the salespeople I have talked to). My fear is that I set her down the course of never truley connecting with her instrument or getting the most of playing because I made the disasterous decision of not getting an acoustic (or so all the teachers tell me). Most of the advice I hear is that she will never get the proper touch.

6) BTW, we are going to look at a used Yamaha T116 SE for $2300 from a private owner that bought it new a couple years ago for her children to play on. They never showed interest and so she is selling. I know it's a good deal pricewise but if we did decide to go acoustic are there clearly better choices in our budget range.

7) Please Advise.

M
M
We started on a digital and then moved to an acoustic.

Digital pro: keeps interest because of gadgetry; sounds nice; can wear headphones.

Digital con: cannot simulate dynamics for playing. Good probably through Level B.

Acoustic pro: sounds nice; can learn loud and soft dynamics

Acoustic con: confusion when buying; tuning.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
1) Well you have to start somewhere, fortunately she still seems to have an interest, so here we are!

2) MIDI is fun!! Do you have any favorite sites for getting MIDI files? (particularly stuff w/piano)

3) Enough to get a good entry level instrument in most areas

4) If/when she outgrows this piano, consider that a 'good' problem and deal with that then!

5) You already have digital. Keep that for the fun stuff, and get a decent piano + enjoy both

6) If all checks out well, this sounds reasonable. Check with local dealers to see what else, if anything may be available in your area.

7) Please see above

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
I teach piano lessons to a few kids who have digital pianos. I notive that when they play my acoustic piano, most of them stiffen up, because they are not used to the acoustic action. I waste time getting them to relax their wrists/fingers so that we can get on with the playing without them hurting themselves. I have friends who have noticed the same thing. One friend calls it "digital wrist" as though it is a doctor-diagnosable problem.

I say save your daughter's wrists and get an acoustic!!

PS I, personally, like Kawai better than Yamaha, and would advocate at least giving one a try... Play all the pianos you can find in your price range. Even if you can only play a few chords, you'll hear and feel some of the differences. It often just comes down to personal preference.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just found a used Yamaha GranTouch Digital Disklaiver, model DGT2IIXG. I must say I am very impressed with the feel of the action. It is basically a Yamaha acoustic grand action, without the hammers. The sound is a sampled 9ft Yamaha Grand, and is really good. If you can find one of those, that would be a good choice for a digital. plus it has the Disklavier record and playback system.

Here is an earlier model that was for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-GranTouc...860QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It does not have the disklavier, but does have the grand action. Click on the links and you can see the action. http://www.telesupport.nl/wave/yamaha/grantouch.htm

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the fedback so far. A few more responses that answer the question: "what would you advise for our budget?", would greatly be appreciated.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you are looking for new you will want to try out Pearl River, Samick, DH Baldwin, Hamilton, the lowest priced Kawai upright, Nordiska, Kohler & Campbell. These should all be available for under $3k at least in the smaller sizes and plainer cases. The bargain of the group is probably DH Baldwin. It is essentially a small Baldwin in a plain cabinet, and it's the only piano in your price range that's made in the U.S. The others in this price range will be Chinese and Indonesian made instruments. All of these pianos have decent tone and touch for the price. The best sounding upright I've played was a Petrof, but it is well over your price range. Play as many as you can or get some one to play them for you (perhaps the salesmen) and buy whichever sounds best to you. I think your daughter will be able to learn and grow on any of them.

A used Yamaha is not a bad choice either. It is a reliable well made instrument. I don't like the tone of most Yamahas, particularly the ones I could afford, but that is a personal preference, and your perception may be quite different.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi piano_shopper. You might want to post the question in the Digitial Piano forum, too, for some more perspectives and options.

markb--The Count of Casio
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
A decent digital have a better action (better and more even response, faster repetition etc) than many cheap uprights. Unless you are a concert level pianist you can well develop your touch with such a digital, not to speak about the gran touch digitals!

When learning new pieces, the main issue is to learn to hit the right key at the right moment with the right velocity. I am regularly exercising on digitals (Yamaha P80 and Kawai ES 3), although I own a Bechstein grand and a Förster upright.

But the use of the sustain pedal is more complicated on an acoustic, it is much more than on-off, there is the whole spectrum of resonance to cope with.

The sound of an acoustic is very personal and perfectly imperfect. And with the use of the sustain pedal you get nuances you will never experince on a digital. But that is a bigger issue in classical music than in popular.

It can be worth while entering the accoustic world if your daughter is interested in classic music. Buy an upright with a light and nice and good tuning stability. Reserve money for the maintenance of the piano.

Later you can upgrade your Casio toy to e. g. a Casio digital piano or a Kawai ES 3. They are cheap and can give you and you daughter much joy, as the can be easily moved from place to place, keep the tuning, and offer the possibility of silent playing. But they need electricity.

Remember: A digital piano and a keyborad is two different things.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
definitely believe in acoustic pianos.

do not be afraid of used. i do not recommend a light touch.. many kids (or adults) who are used to playing on a digital think they prefer a light touch. playing the piano is a vigorous activity.

i really like the yamaha u series if you could find a used one in good condition. When playing them travel up the key board slowly and softly, playing each note (or have your daughter do this) trying to find irregularities, sticking keys or notes that do not sound when played softly. It would be best if you could have a pianist confirm your choices since your daughter is probably not familiar with the sustain pedal. There should be a fine range of pianos to suit your needs if you are near a fairly large metropolitan area. If buying from a dealer, ask about tradein policy and warranty.

the yamaha you are considering might be an excellent piano for you. I play some older yamahas (a U3 and an Everett - and both are solid, reliable instruments)

if you happen across a used Charles Walter console.. check it out.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
here's some info on the T116 SE - i notice it has a mute pedal - good for late nite practice

right here

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
[
A used Yamaha is not a bad choice either. It is a reliable well made instrument.

- - - -

I wonder which pianos nowadays are considered not reliable, bad quality?

I agree that Yamahas have good actions. But that concerns modern Kawais as well.

Actions can be regulated if they are uneven. Hammers can be voiced. Most important is the tuning stability. If the piano does not keep in tune, it will cost you a lot.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T116 is a decent instrument for beginners. Have a tech check it out for you. The price is very fare.

I would also recommend Yamaha CLP230 or CLP240 in your price range. More and more teachers are embracing high end digitals.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by apple*:
definitely believe in acoustic pianos.

I do not recommend a light touch.. many kids (or adults) who are used to playing on a digital think they prefer a light touch. playing the piano is a vigorous activity.

Many experienced pianists prefer a light touch. I myself have played for over 50 years. Most pianos are middle-heavy. But there are those that have been very awkward to play on.

Pianissimo playing when the touch is heavy can be very tricky. And children for sure will hate the piano, because they meet with difficulties in getting nuances.

I do not believe in building up finger strength on heavy actions

As playing is a dynamic process, measuring the key weight does not tell the whole truth. Older pianos have often a lighter touch, then in the 60-ties many pianos were built with heavier touch but now the trend is again back to light touch.

If a heavy touch comes from sticky keys and a lot of friction losses there is no benefit from it, only drawbacks. If it is because of heavy hammers it might be agreeable on a big concert grand, where you need big sound volume.

Of course an action must feel firm and not sloppy.

Normally the differences are small in tier 1 instrumnets, but cheap, samll uprights can offer unpleasant surprises. I think Yamaha and Kawai are in this respect safe choises - their actions are not too heavy. And Yamahas digitals have a normal action feeling.

It is by the way a pity that the touch is far from standardised. There is enough troubles for a pianist in adapting to a new piano with its sound and sustain characters. And you cannot carry your own piano with you...

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
If you are going to buy a digital, get the Yamaha, both K & Y are close for action, sound, value, etc. but the Yam will get you a better resale value down the road when you trade up. The Clavinova tm has more presence in the market place.

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
As a piano teacher, I get this question all the time (should I buy a digital or acoustic?). This is what I tell parents:

To get a really nice acoustic piano you are going to have to spend some serious $$. Grandma's piano that you inherited just isn't going to cut it; neither will anything in the $1000-range that you find in the newspaper. And honestly, some of the acoustic pianos out there are IMO no better than a 'keyboard toy'. A nice Yamaha or Kawai is going to cost more than the $2000. My recommendation would be a Yamaha clavinova. The keys are going to have the weight necessary to develop good technique. You can get a clavinova that has only 12 voices and no other bells and whistles, or you can spend a bit more and get one with all the fun sounds, rhythms, and a floppy disk drive (many piano methods now have floppy disks that go along with each book. Kids can play their simple little song with a wonderful orchestral background - what a motivator!).

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I posted the same topic over in the Digital Piano Forum and got slighlty different biases (as expected). For those who were trying to appeal to my sensitivities of playing a "real" musical instrument, this is probably more apllicable to myself as I am a collector and player of vintage electric guitars. However, for my 9 year old daughter I would say this will probably not be such a big factor for the next 3-5 years. I think she will get more attached to the flexibility in sounds and technology of the digital instrument, although in full fairness, a vibrating speaker cone will never sound (or effect the soul) like a vibrating string. Some have recommended the Clavinova but my requirements are: if it's going to be digital, I want to buy it new, and $3000 is max! One other observation, I did try a $700 digital piano at Sam's club. It felt like the key "popped" down and "snapped" back. Not what I have experienced on acoustic piano's. I this just the result of a low end digital or will this always be the case. As before, please recommend acoustic or digital (and what mfg and mfg model) in the $2000 to $3000 range. Great Thanks!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
You can definitely buy an entry-level Clavinova for under $3000; bells and whistles will be more, but still worth checking out.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Last time I checked, DH Baldwins were being made in Indonesia.. Only the high end Baldwin grands are still made in the US, correct? For budget -- I would try to go up as much as you possibly can. I always tell the parents of my students to buy the most piano they can possibly afford. The quality differences can be fairly substantial for that extra $1000.00. If $3K is the top of you budget, then find the best $3K piano that you can, and be patient in finding it! Don't buy the first one that you see in other words...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission