Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (Anticlock, AndrewJCW, accordeur, AZNpiano, AndyP, 19 invisible), 950 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212878 - 10/02/06 09:13 AM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by MA:
George K, it was a Casio Privia PX-500L.

I'd say a good $2k Yamaha digital piano can be good for up to intermediate level. After that, only a good acoustic grand can better it, especially in sound.

You can certainly upgrade to acoustic before that if you think your child will stick with playing or it's time to play duo. [/b]
I picked up a Casio PX400R at the local Sam's including bench, stand, microphone, and pedal for a ridiculously low price (last one closeout - under $250.) The tone sucks, but it's a fun toy to play with now and then. I played a few Yamaha digitals and a Korg or two. To my ears the Yamahas sound best. Actions on them are all fairly similar .

--Dennis

flickr

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#212879 - 10/02/06 12:35 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
piano_shopper_001 Offline

Loc: salisbuty, md
What's the sigificant difference between a stage piano and a home piano? If it's just the stand, how important is it to have the 3 pedals and a solid base for the keyboard to learn proper piano technique?

#212880 - 10/02/06 02:24 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
With a stage piano you have following benefits:

- Easier to move than the heavy home organ type digitals, as there are many lightweight components instead of one heavy. As a digital do not need a haevy frame and cabinet, why not take advantage of this? Why pay for wooden cabinet instaed of for good actions and sound?

- You can customize the stand to suit the child's height, so she can sit on the height-adjustable piano stool with her feet steadily on the floor. Avoid cheap waggling X-stands!

- The one sustain pedal required at early stage of paino studies can also be fixed on the floor according to the child's sitting position.

- You have to buy a separate music desk as the incorporated desks are more or less useless, they do not give proper support to normal sheet music.

Drawbacks

- More components to assemble, more electrical wires, technical outlook doees not fit in everyones drawing room.

- You should rather check the co-operation between piano and loudspeakers in your home before buying as the speakers and their positioning do affect the sound and its perception by the pianist.

#212881 - 10/07/06 04:06 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Look at the Yamaha Clavinova CLP220 and CLP230. Both should street price at under $2k. I believe they are absolutly the most performance for your buck. Strange advice comming from a piano technician. It hurts.
I don't like the Yamaha YDP series. The specs are close to the Clavinova series, but there are some subtle differences. Warranty is significantly different in length and terms of service.
If you want to go acoustic you can get a new Yamaha entry level upright close to the upper end of your budget range.
I have to disagree with apple. Your budget calls for the bottom of the barrel in an halfway decent acoustic. This "shaping each note" description baffels me. The digitals I recommend will have a deep in the key repetition that is not possible on any acoustic upright. The digital will always be in tune and at pitch.
Practice with headphones is a blessing.

#212882 - 10/07/06 05:08 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
piano cellar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Piano Shopper-- once again, I am still not sure why you would invest yet another $2-3K into a digital when inevitably you will have to purchase an acoustic piano? It would still be a wiser choice to invest in an acoustic-- even an entry level one = that can later be traded up to a really nice piano. Even the entry level will have some value as a trade, where a digital really will not. Have you looked a Perzina? I had a beginning student purchase one recently- something about 44" tall- and it is quite nice. I know their budget was similar to yours, so might be worth a look. I prefer the sound of it to most of the other "Asian" pianos I have played, and it has a nice action.

#212883 - 10/07/06 05:17 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
piano cellar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
One more thing-- your child's teacher has told you specifically that your child needs an acoustic piano and has reservations about a digital. If you respect the teacher at all, do your best to listen to their advice on this one. You will all benefit in the end.

#212884 - 10/07/06 06:10 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
accomplished musicians on acoustic pianos know how to shape each note... know how to let a chord ring with every note of that chord sounding at a different volume... know how to shape phrases and make them sound beautiful.. now how to let the melody or accompaniment, or rhythm or tempo determine how a piece should sound with a nuance and a variety simply not found on a digital.

An acoustic piano is a percussion instrument. A digital is not.

of course a digital can do many things an acoustic cannot and there are many advantages..
[/b]
This advice is spot on. If you want your daughter to learn to play the piano get a piano. If you or she wants to play a keyboard, get a keyboard. The art of the piano playing is all in the dynamics. It's what makes music beautiful and compelling.

For 3K you can get a great used upright piano for your daughter.

#212885 - 10/07/06 09:02 PM Re: another digital vs acoustic piano subject...
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Craigen:
This "shaping each note" description baffels me. The digitals I recommend will have a deep in the key repetition that is not possible on any acoustic upright. The digital will always be in tune and at pitch.
Practice with headphones is a blessing. [/b]
practicing with headphones would be a blessing for my family.. but then again the kids wouldn't be running around whistling Bach..

when you strike a key on an acoustic a great variety of output is possible by striking the key differently. digitals attempt to replicate that and do ok in the volume department.. but you can make a single note sound lofty or clear or round or pingy.. throw in a few more notes and one can shape chords.. it's a wonderful thing to exploit and play with. I teach my youngest students to play the melody louder than the accompaniment in the left hand. it is not a skill reserved for fine pianists.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What These Markings Indicate?
by Batuhan
17 minutes 43 seconds ago
visited Pianoworks this week
by terminaldegree
Today at 12:07 AM
Wish I Could Only Teach Students 10 Years and Older!
by Musicdude
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
WIPAC - Washington Amateur Piano Competition
by SiFi
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
OT: Windows 10
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,201 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,878 Topics
2,431,489 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission