2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 47 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I`m sure it`ll go well for you. I recorded my two some time ago; not perfect, they never will be. I put in an extra half bar on one of `em. But the music demanded a certain atmosphere. I tried hard for that.

Grieg`s stuff is fantastic. So glad I`m doin` these. And my third piece, if I get to play it, is the best. Fingers are dropping off . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Originally Posted by peterws
Fingers are dropping off . . .
You may want to have a doctor look at that.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ok folks - just so you know, when we come to do the recital, we'll be setting up a separate thread for it - because it is likely to become HUGE (just like the Mendelssohn recital which only had around 2/3rd the number of pieces and approx 20 fewer participants).

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS?
During the Mendelssohn recital, one opus per day was published on the thread, and then people made comments about people's performances, so the performances and the comments about them were together. This meant that the thread got quite long, and if anyone just wanted to listen to the pieces, they had to scroll down through these comments to find them. It has been suggested that for this recita, the recital thread contain JUST the pieces, with no comments at all (these would need to be on a separate thread). Do you like this idea, or would you prefer the recital recordings and comments to be on the same thread, just like with the Mendelssohn?

Helen

PS Sadly, Ellec is unable to perform her piece, so Sailor's Song is available once more. PLEASE will one of you take it!?

Why don't you have one thread per opus. Put the pieces and the comments together, but keep each opus as a separate entity.

That's easy to do since each opus is coming out sequentially.

M
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Why don't you have one thread per opus. Put the pieces and the comments together, but keep each opus as a separate entity.

I agree with this idea.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If you have one thread per opus the number of pieces viewed and discussed will be manageable (4-7). You won't get an overgrown nightmare of overlapping discussions.

In addition, if someone later on wants to go back and comment on an earlier opus, that won't be a distraction. They'll be putting their comments in the appropriate thread. Each thread will remain readable since the pieces under discussion are a well-specified grouping.

Lastly, they could all be titled in a way that draws the eye, but shows the differences .... i.e.

Grieg Recital: Op. 12
Grieg Recital: Op. 38

The first thing that hits you is Grieg.

I LIKED THE WAY THE mENDELLSOHN ONE WENT. cOMMENTS WERE spontaneous; it was good!Is that what Piano dad meant? sounds great to me

Last edited by peterws; 08/08/13 12:11 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dipsy

PS Sadly, Ellec is unable to perform her piece, so Sailor's Song is available once more. PLEASE will one of you take it!?

Hi Dipsy,

I am willing to try this piece if there is no one else to take it. Not sure how well I can learn it in the time available. My other piece is not ready yet either so they would both be works-in-progress. My main concern with this piece is that the big chords in the RH will aggravate the arthritis in my wrist. So if there is someone else who wants to play this piece, I'll happily hand it off. But in the mean time I will start practicing it. smile

V.

Last edited by Valencia; 08/08/13 12:19 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One per opus sounds good, with comments after the videos.

Long ago when Rostosky was in charge I offered to work with him to use the ABF quarterly recital software. The submissions are handled by the performers - the person running the recital just presents it at the end. It's a lot less work with everything automated.

The only drawback is no control over the order - it's whatever order the performers submit in. So the grand scheme of organizing sequentially by opus would be hard to arrange. It could be done though, with each opus leader submitting the pieces for that opus one after the other. But that is not taking advantage of the usefulness of the software, which distributes the work load and puts the responsibility on the performer.

Just a suggestion - Rostosky wanted to do things his own way, so we never worked out the details.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

I like that idea very much.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Hello again -

The question folks was about whether to include comments in the recital thread, or have them separate! (The opleds have already had a debate( by PM) on whether to have a single thread or a thread per opus, and the discussion went the way of having a single thread).

VALENCIA THANK YOU SO MUCH - for offering to take on sailor's song

Last edited by Dipsy; 08/08/13 12:41 PM.
M
M
Hello again -

The question folks was about whether to include comments in the recital thread, or have them separate! (The opleds have already had a debate( by PM) on whether to have a single thread or a thread per opus, and the discussion went the way of having a single thread).

Then I vote for a separate comments thread. That way it's easier to navigate between the videos.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hello again -

Any possibility of reopening that issue? Perhaps the PM debate didn't reach the best conclusion?

Or at least offer some reason why it's positively better to have one growing thread that has people talking about the current opus while other people reach back much earlier to comment on things that were already commented on days or weeks earlier when the opus first came out.

My brain think of separate threads as much tidier and more coherent.

PianoDad, Sam, Morodiene and everyone else - hold fire a bit (on the one thread/many threads discussion). I've had an idea but need to check it out - will get back to you on this once I've checked the options and discussed with opleds.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Leaving aside the question of how many threads and what should be on each thread: Sam S, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of offering the recital software. For me, I really really really REALLY like that the pieces in the themed recital come out in order, so for that reason I prefer that the pieces in each opus are collected and posted in order. I understand what you say about using the Recital software instead: that the strength of the Recital software would be to distribute the workload even more, out to the participants. But the drawback of pieces being out of order makes the idea of using the Recital software to be a complete non-starter for me. I appreciate the work done by the person/people who will do the collecting and posting, and I think it's a valuable part of making the themed recitals so meaningful.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
M
M
OK, no problem, Dipsy. I know that everyone's putting a lot of work into this, so whatever is easiest for you guys. laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks Morodiene. All the opleds are considering the issue and we'll get back to you all as soon as possible....

[/quote] from Sam:
Long ago when Rostosky was in charge I offered to work with him to use the ABF quarterly recital software. The submissions are handled by the performers - the person running the recital just presents it at the end. It's a lot less work with everything automated
Just a suggestion - Rostosky wanted to do things his own way, so we never worked out the details.[quote]

Sam, I agree with PianoStudent88 though there's no denying that this software has big advantages when things don't have to be done in a particular order.

However, doing this recital in the way we are, having team leaders for each opus, for example, also allows people to get to know each other better, give support and contribute their own skills if they want to get more involved. Its a different animal to the other recitals on PW I think, with more of the human touch and a feeling of working together towards a common goal.

BTW: I believe Rossy just decided to stick with the method/software he was comfortable with, and had already decided how to publish the recital. No offence was intended, I'm sure. Taking account of your suggestion might have seemed like adding a stressful element to things.

Last edited by Dipsy; 08/09/13 06:44 AM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
After 6 weeks of absence I'm finally back at my piano. Bit of a chock, really. My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger while holding notes with 1st and 2nd. I really hope that my hands and fingers will become more flexible very soon. I have signed up for three pieces and one of them I haven't played for years. And probably I have to complete my recordings this week. So this is going to be interesting. Maybe a bit too interesting, I'm afraid....

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
After 6 weeks of absence I'm finally back at my piano. Bit of a chock, really. My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger while holding notes with 1st and 2nd. I really hope that my hands and fingers will become more flexible very soon. I have signed up for three pieces and one of them I haven't played for years. And probably I have to complete my recordings this week. So this is going to be interesting. Maybe a bit too interesting, I'm afraid....

Yikes. I'd be stressed out!

Something that might help with the flexibility is doing a hot wax treatment on your hands. Yes, it sounds odd, I know - but it helped me at one point.

Here are some instructions:

http://beauty.about.com/od/homemadefacemask1/r/how_to_make_paraffin_wax_treatment_for_hands.htm

You probably need a helper, unless you do one hand at a time.
You obviously have to be careful that the wax isn't **TOO** hot - but truly, not only is this very soothing, your hands feel really relaxed and happy afterwards.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
After 6 weeks of absence...My fingers are pretty stiff and I have difficulties with trilling with the 4th and 5th finger...
6 Weeks? This happens to me after six minutes!

Richard
Page 33 of 47 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission