2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 47 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 46 47

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Gandalf - sorry to hear you're skipping the quarterly recital, but...clearly something has to go!

I'm VERY happy to hear that your hands are much improved! (But you just might want to try the hot wax treatment anyway -it is very soothing!)

As for the red dot... in another thread, Richard suggested recording every day to simply get used to the thing....I have been doing that for a week now and find that it is actually less intimidating. It is just "there". Of course the test will be when I try recording for "real" and see how that goes, but I do feel it will be better. (and who knows,.... during one of my daily sessions I just may get that special take that will be my current best, and I'll submit it!)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Originally Posted by Morodiene
And remember, no sense in killing yourself over a piece (meaning the Chillcot). Especially not a transcription. No shame in simplifying some areas that are probably barely playable to begin with.

You are right. The Chillcot piano reduction is virtually unplayable in its original form, and I have to simplify. But even the process of simplification takes time. Fortunalely I'll be "covered" by the choir much of the time, and occasional misses will hardly be possible to hear.

I decided to skip the quartely recital. And during the weekend my hands have got more or less back to normal. After some warming up even trilling with the outer fingers works. And I have been able to memorise my new pieces. There are still some details I would like to polish, but probably the "red dot" will be the greatest challenge.
Darn that red dot! Maybe if it weren't red, but something less judgmental and threatening, like a nice green or teal color....why don't manufacturers think of this?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Darn that red dot! Maybe if it weren't red, but something less judgmental and threatening, like a nice green or teal color....why don't manufacturers think of this?

My Zoom H1 doesn't have a red dot and it doesn't seem to matter ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Really? Pushing the record button doesn't turn some light red? My Zooms have a red light.

S
S

I record the audio to a USB stick. One stick I have pulses blue. It flashes brightly and quickly during recording. I'd be much happier with a red dot that just stays there and does nothing.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
My zoom has a red dot. But I'm afraid it wouldn't have helped even with a greenish violet one. Somehow I feel recording more difficult than playing for a live audience. During a live recital I always feel very nervous for the first 2 - 3 minutes, but afterwards I usually calm down and start enjoying playing. When recording I get the same level of tension every time I start anew. I'm particularly concerned about "Wedding day at Troldhaugen" since this is a rather long piece. Getting a decent recording of this piece may take quite some time.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I just ordered my zoom again. My dog jumped at the table where I placed the zoom and dropped it on the floor. It did not completely die but started declining in performance. I here Bzzzzzzzz sound all over now. I'm getting exactly the same model. I could not make it to the ABF recital but will be ready for this one.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I wish you the best, Ganddalf, with the Chillcot. I’ve no doubt the piano accompaniment could be reduced to something very manageable but that's an additional job which will inevitably eat into your available time.

Your Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is one of the most difficult pieces but I’m sure a lot of us are going to be stretched – that’s bound to be reflected in less than perfect performances so you’ll be in good company. My 68,3 is presentable but it’s the easiest of the three (with Sylph that’ll be four….still counting on niluh01 to show up!). I’ve got no better than fall-back recordings of my two op.57 pieces so I’m likely to be working on trying to improve those right up to the wire.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Attention all! We have a piece that needs an owner! Yes, just when you thought all the Lyric Pieces had been snatched up, this lovely and unique piece is on offer.

Opus 57, No. 6, Homesickness

It's the last piece in the linked score, #41.

Give it a whirl, and let us know that you want it!

Recorded pieces are due September 10, but Opus 57 won't be posted until September 20, so a little negotiation with the opus leader (that's me) would win you an extension past the 10th. That gives you more than a month to learn this little gem.

Vote early, vote often, and don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Kind of a big gem in comparison to many of these pieces … grin

It's 2.5 times as long as both of mine combined!

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Attention all! We have a piece that needs an owner! Yes, just when you thought all the Lyric Pieces had been snatched up, this lovely and unique piece is on offer.

Opus 57, No. 6, Homesickness

It's the last piece in the linked score, #41.

Give it a whirl, and let us know that you want it!

Recorded pieces are due September 10, but Opus 57 won't be posted until September 20, so a little negotiation with the opus leader (that's me) would win you an extension past the 10th. That gives you more than a month to learn this little gem.

Vote early, vote often, and don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!

Well, since I have already sent both my pieces in, and the ABF quarterly recital is over, I'll take it on - it will be a good challenge for me, one I hope I won't regret.

It's ABA form again, and there is a good amount of repetition in each section. The faster middle section is the challenge, with 4 sharps and lots of accidentals. But the A section is typical Grieg and very lovely.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Many thanks Sam!

thumb yippie

Before, we had a full set, but that included understudies who would step in if need be. Now we should know who is doing each piece.

I feel another list coming on.... must chat to opleds...

Last edited by Dipsy; 08/15/13 07:27 AM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ok, so the definitive list should be coming up soon?

No changes to report in Opus 12 - we're all good to go and getting closer to that "perfect" (ha ha) recording.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sam , definitely you're my hero!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Time to make my video... I could just add bell images to my recording, but it would be a pity not to see me playing grin

Oh, and are we supposed to write down something about our piece?

Last edited by sinophilia; 08/15/13 08:43 AM.
Sinophilia - its not compulsory to write down something, but last time (for the Mendelssohn recital) it was a nice touch to read personal statements. It can give listeners a feel for the person behind the performance, and where they were 'at.' But these statements shouldn't be too long - perhaps up to 3 paragraphs or so, because there will be many of them!

Some wrote about their interpretation of the piece, while others wrote about issues/frustrations/insights developed during the process of preparing the piece - their learning 'journey'. Its up to the individual.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Sam S, thanks for taking on Homesickness.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Originally Posted by Dipsy
Sinophilia - its not compulsory to write down something, but last time (for the Mendelssohn recital) it was a nice touch to read personal statements. It can give listeners a feel for the person behind the performance, and where they were 'at.' But these statements shouldn't be too long - perhaps up to 3 paragraphs or so, because there will be many of them!

Some wrote about their interpretation of the piece, while others wrote about issues/frustrations/insights developed during the process of preparing the piece - their learning 'journey'. Its up to the individual.

I know that the Op. 12 crowd is planning to write individual introductory stories.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Originally Posted by Dipsy

I know that the Op. 12 crowd is planning to write individual introductory stories.

And I know one member of the Op.12 crowd who has already written and submitted his smile

[Linked Image]

Can I still make a few changes to it? Pretty please! grin

Page 35 of 47 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission