2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, 15 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
OP Offline
G
Hey,
As above, I've got an urge to play the piano again (I haven't really played it for around 4 years now, since leaving school and going to uni). I'm currently on a year work placement, and I wouldn't mind playing a little in the evenings.

Based on this I think a digital piano would probably be best, since I'll only be living here till next July, when I'll be going home for a couple of months, before back to uni for my final year. Also it will be in my room, which is on the first floor, and I'm not sure if a piano would even fit up the stairs/through my door, and the adjustable volume would be good for playing in the evenings.

So I thought I'd post here asking for some advice from people who know a lot more than I do :P

a) Based on the information above, do you think a digital piano is the right choice?
b) Any recommendations? laugh

My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. I'm not bothered about different sounds and effects, just want it to feel as close to a real piano as possible really (the ability to plug in headphones would be good, although most probably have that feature)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and of course feel free to ask for more information if it's needed smile

Edit:
Realised it sounds like I haven't done any looking etc.
I've looked a little, and it seems the Yamaha models come highly recommended, although sadly I don't think I'll be able to afford the CLP, so would be looking at a YDP/P piano.

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 10/03/13 05:21 AM.

Trying to get back into playing by learning some Chopin!
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm
My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. I'm not bothered about different sounds and effects, just want it to feel as close to a real piano as possible really

In a low price range, I think most people agree that the best feeling piano at the moment would be Casio. Just for piano, the PX-150 will do, though the PX-350 has better sounding speakers (for those times you're not using headphones), and a line input in case you want to feed in a better quality piano sound you could trigger from your computer. (You could trigger the computer piano sound from the 150 as well, but would be limited to headphones or would need additional speakers to be connected.)

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Can't go wrong with a Yamaha P155.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns

Maybe so, however it slightly exceeds George's maximum budget (the P155 is much cheaper in the US, remember).

In this price bracket, a Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P105 are the best choices.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by anotherscott
My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. I'm not bothered about different sounds and effects, just want it to feel as close to a real piano as possible really

In a low price range, I think most people agree that the best feeling piano at the moment would be Casio. Just for piano, the PX-150 will do, though the PX-350 has better sounding speakers (for those times you're not using headphones), and a line input in case you want to feed in a better quality piano sound you could trigger from your computer. (You could trigger the computer piano sound from the 150 as well, but would be limited to headphones or would need additional speakers to be connected.)

I hadn't really looked into Casio very much, thanks for the suggestion smile

Seems a little pricey in the UK (sadly 1000$ seems to equal £1100 :P)

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Maybe so, however it slightly exceeds George's maximum budget (the P155 is much cheaper in the US, remember).

In this price bracket, a Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P105 are the best choices.

James
x

I'll have more of a look into them both.

So you would recommend a P model over a YDP for Yamaha?

Yes, the portability will come in handy when going to and from your parents place and uni.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Yes, the portability will come in handy when going to and from your parents place and uni.

Cheers,
James
x

I assume the difference in quality/feel between them and the more 'solid' models with stand isn't big enough within a similar price range to warrant the extra faff every time it needs to be moved? (I've been told that some, possibly all, of the models with stands can separate for easier transportation, just a couple of screws needed?)

Are there any particular stands you'd recommend then? From a quick google, it seems quite a few places sell both the Casio and the Yamaha with a stand, stool, headphones etc. I assume that stand won't be very good and it may be worth getting something better?

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 08/12/13 09:22 AM.

T
T
When you buy a stand for it, don't buy an 'X' style one - in my opinion they bounce too much when you play.
Get something like the Quik Lok WS-550 with four solid legs - it will feel as stable as a 'furniture style' digital piano then.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by TrumpetMan
When you buy a stand for it, don't buy an 'X' style one - in my opinion they bounce too much when you play.
Get something like the Quik Lok WS-550 with four solid legs - it will feel as stable as a 'furniture style' digital piano then.

I had heard they weren't good, especially with heavier keyboards/digital pianos.
Looks like quite a cool stand, although will add another £100 which I'll have to bear in mind (once again it seems like there's a 1:1 $:£ exchange rate frown )

Get round your nearest dealer(s) and try lots of stuff. All price ranges; don`t be put off by cheap or dear stuff and don`t bang yer head off the guitars hanging up around the walls. If they`re acoustic, it sounds. If they`re electric, it hurts. Get the showroom geezer to put some reverb on to give the piano a lift.

And then let your fingers and wallet decide!

Happy fishing . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by peterws
Get round your nearest dealer(s) and try lots of stuff. All price ranges; don`t be put off by cheap or dear stuff and don`t bang yer head off the guitars hanging up around the walls. If they`re acoustic, it sounds. If they`re electric, it hurts. Get the showroom geezer to put some reverb on to give the piano a lift.

And then let your fingers and wallet decide!

Happy fishing . . .

I am aiming to do that, I'm just not sure when I'll get a chance to, I don't know of any shops in my local area, and being without a car means finding them will be a hassle, and I'm busy for the next two weekends, so I won't be able to try anything for at least 3 weeks frown

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 08/12/13 11:35 AM.

B
B
Take a day trip to London - there're several DP stores with Yamaha, Kawai, Roland and Casio (and Kurzweil and Korg etc) within a one-mile radius of the main Oxford Street area. Preferably on a weekday (weekends buzz too much at this time of the year), and bring your own headphones: that's the only way you can compare the inherent sounds of the respective DPs. Cheaper DPs have inadequate amplification and speakers, but when heard through headphones, their sound may well be as good as, or better than, much more expensive ones.

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
K
Just a suggestion

http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_sp_250_bk_case_bundle.htm

I know it has Korgs top action, same as the Kronos but I am not sure how that compared to other brands.

I don't know much to be fair I haven't even got my piano yet but this may suit your need nicely

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by bennevis
Take a day trip to London - there're several DP stores with Yamaha, Kawai, Roland and Casio (and Kurzweil and Korg etc) within a one-mile radius of the main Oxford Street area. Preferably on a weekday (weekends buzz too much at this time of the year), and bring your own headphones: that's the only way you can compare the inherent sounds of the respective DPs. Cheaper DPs have inadequate amplification and speakers, but when heard through headphones, their sound may well be as good as, or better than, much more expensive ones.

Hmm, not really possible on a weekday since I'm working 9-5.
Might see if I can work something out though.

Originally Posted by kilf
Just a suggestion

http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_sp_250_bk_case_bundle.htm

I know it has Korgs top action, same as the Kronos but I am not sure how that compared to other brands.

I don't know much to be fair I haven't even got my piano yet but this may suit your need nicely

Bit more than the other suggestions, but I'll look into it smile

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 08/12/13 04:01 PM.

YAMAHA P155 FTW!

An extra £100 is worth it..

You're too busy to go looking for pianos!!?? Want us to do all the leg-work?? :P

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by starbug
YAMAHA P155 FTW!

An extra £100 is worth it..

You're too busy to go looking for pianos!!?? Want us to do all the leg-work?? :P

Is it worth double the other suggestions?
Haha no, but I thought you guys would know some good options, so I could narrow it down at least.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Only yesterday I bought a Yamaha YPP200 second hand.I live in Yate and I found the advertisment in Tesco.
It is fine for playing at all hours with head phones.
Also one can connect to an aplifier and larger speakers.
Also/and later buy a CD for PianoTec and make it sound like any sort of piano you wish.
I still have a large upright but find the convenience of the DP amazing.
Took me about an hour to get into the "knack" of the keyboard.
Took me 15mins to screw together the three pieces of venered MDF which make up the stand.
I've no idea how old it is but "By golywoly " it is well worth the £200 which I paid for it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'd seriously look at the Casios that anotherscott mentioned. I think that's what I'd go for in your place - well built but not too bulky. Very good value for money - specifications punching way above their weight (though specs are not the main thing - touch and main piano sound are, for most serious buyers).

Or I'd get the Yamaha YDP 162. This is a very nice piano for around £850 - very well built with good basic specifications, fine keyboard and good sound engine. Not really portable though - it's a console type.

YDP 162 is a better deal in Europe/UK than the Yamaha P155 which is under 1000 dollars in the states, I believe. Only thing is, P155 is more portable.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had heard they weren't good, especially with heavier keyboards/digital pianos.
Looks like quite a cool stand, although will add another £100 which I'll have to bear in mind (once again it seems like there's a 1:1 $:£ exchange rate frown )

Actually, in my experience they are more stable when used with heavier instruments, but I wouldn't recommend them if you like to use more than one pedal. Not a lot of legroom.

Les C Deal

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by LesCharles73
Actually, in my experience they are more stable when used with heavier instruments, but I wouldn't recommend them if you like to use more than one pedal. Not a lot of legroom.

I don't think you can get more legroom than the QuikLok WS-550 with four legs! I have 2 of them, sturdy and simple.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission