2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2131922 08/12/13 05:03 PM
Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Does anybody here ever use a metronome (silent) while recording? Some digital pianos don't record the built-in metronome beats during a recording session (my LX-15 for example). Metronome beats thru headphones would accomplish the same thing for those who are recording APs or DPs without this feature. I am curious to know what others are doing when they are recording their piano performances. In piano videos with pros in a studio setting I sometimes see that they have headphones while playing an AP. Is that for metronome sound?

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I'm sometimes using visualmetronome
http://sourceforge.net/projects/visualmetronome/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
my Fostex MR8 has a click track you can hear through the headphones. And hope it doesn't bleed through to the mike.
What I prefer, is a sacrificial rhythm track, if you're lucky enough to a have a multi-track recorder. They are getting less costly all the time.

nada
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I use a clicktrack from Audacity. I use one earbud so that the sound doesn't bleed through into the recording. Then I delete the clicktrack at the end. I do multitrack recordings this way.

gotta go practice
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR
clicktrack from Audacity

Brilliant. I did not even know that existed. I guess I should start looking at those other tabs I never used before. Thank you!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
aLL dp`S HAVE `EM I reckon. Trouble is playing to it. So bloody relentless! Then you forget to switch it off when you record the (recorded) song . . . A separate rhythm track would be much better. Can`t do that on mine. Dammit . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Lo-tech, but I've gone as far as to wear a single ear bud under a standard set of headphones. The ear bud, of course, plugged into an mp3 player. I don't think there's any sin for playing along with a band or orchestra rather than a click.

My Audacity experience was with an old slow computer. I'll bet it's improved immensely. It wasn't the applications fault, in fact I found Audacity quite powerful.

nada
Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your inputs!! Now I know that this is indeed a method used by others here. Great!

FarmerJones I have used your low-tech method of combining headphones just like that too. It works great! My Roland RD-700NX lacks line-in terminals so I use this method rather than an external mixer out of convenience.

Peter My RD-700NX can't play any rhythms (or metronome) while the internal (.wav) recorder is being used. These two functions are mutually exclusive by design. However, my LX-15 allows me to use the metronome while I am recording using the internal recorder (.wav). And to my big surprise, the metronome sound, which is mixed in with the piano sound in the speakers, is not recorded to the audio file! Thus, the piano must have the metronome sound on a separate channel which bypasses the recorder function. Neat!!!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
The trouble is that your playing will sound mechanical and boring.The metronome should be for short periods of practice only, especially once the notes have being learnt and the piece is starting to come together.
I have trouble keeping strict tempo like most people and it shows up badly in the more classical rep, but I'd much rather have those wince inducing unintentional tempo changes than not be able to add rubato and ritardandos where I deem it appropriate.Well executed tempo adjustments and pauses are one of the things that pianist have at their disposal in order to express themselves.

Last edited by timmyab; 08/14/13 06:23 AM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I use a metronome to guage the right timing.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by timmyab
I have trouble keeping strict tempo like most people and it shows up badly in the more classical rep, but I'd much rather have those wince inducing unintentional tempo changes than not be able to add rubato and ritardandos where I deem it appropriate.

You are not alone, I'd guess this is the majority problem.

But not being able to keep a strict tempo really means that your rubato is accidental and not within the context of the music.

Rubato is a deliberate variation from strict tempo. Without the ability to keep strict tempo, there is no true rubato.

There must be somebody in the world who is boring because he keeps a strict tempo. I haven't found him though. Have heard lots of boring people, but not for that reason. I think it's a n urban legend.

gotta go practice
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Depends on what you're playing. For solo piano, you have a little more freedom to ebb and flow tempo. But I still think it's always good to work on your sense of time. In a studio setting with a band, there is almost always a click going on in your ears. The trick for me is to turn that simple click into a rhythmic feel, so you're not playing so robotic. In recent years, a lot of my live playing in bands is also done to click. So hearing that click in your ears is becoming more common.

Originally Posted by TimR
But not being able to keep a strict tempo really means that your rubato is accidental and not within the context of the music.
Such a true statement. One of the real benefits of working with a metronome is to figure out where your tempo fluctuates because of interpretation and where it changes because of the difficulty of the section.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Since I don't think these questions about my new little metronome have to be in a whole new topic I'll just ask it here:

- Is it normal in "free stance" the pendulum isn't right in the middle but a bit off (in the video case to the right).. as you can see on) 0:15 and 0:27?
- When do I have to wind it up?

[video:youtube]GpmmzHaVX98[/video]

Last edited by Lost Woods; 09/04/13 09:52 AM.
J
J
Metronome? What's that? Just play the piece and call it rubato smile

Kawai MP6 Stage Piano
JBL LSR305 Monitors
Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lost Woods

- Is it normal in "free stance" the pendulum isn't right in the middle but a bit off (in the video case to the right).. as you can see on) 0:15 and 0:27?
- When do I have to wind it up?

Refreshing to see a mechanical metronome in use!! I have not used mine in a long time but it looks strange that your pendulum is off center like that.

I think I used to wind mine up quite regularly just to make sure it had juice at all times.

Last edited by Amaruk; 09/06/13 09:50 PM.

Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jaymes677
Metronome? What's that? Just play the piece and call it rubato smile

Very true. smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Lost Woods
Are you sure the table is level?

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
D
D
There's a story about a famous drummer - perhaps it was Ringo Starr - who on being pestered to put the headphones on and play to the click track, exclaimed, "I am the bloody click track."

Yamaha C3X SH
P
P
Some drummers can't keep a steady time!! Sad, but true.

@jdeacon:

There's a similar story about U2's drummer, Larry Mullen, Jr.

While recording "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (1983), Mullen was asked to use a click track. He flatly refused! He is an excellent drummer and can keep time accurately.

Nevertheless, he was persuaded to use a click track for the rest of the songs in the album "War". It was Mullen's first time recording with a click track, and he found it quite difficult -- he had to really simplify his drumming in order to keep in sync with the click track.

In an interview, Mullen said working with a click track really helped him grow as a musician. It forced him to analyze his own playing, and through that process, helped him discover his own style. He became a firm believer in using a click track.

Fast forward 17 years. While recording "All That You Can't Leave Behind" (2000), Mullen began complaining about the click track to Brian Eno, U2's producer for the album. Mullen felt the click track was a bit slow.

How could that be? The rest of the band had recorded to that click track. But Mullen said he couldn't play to the click track, so Eno relented and slightly adjusted it to run faster. Mullen then complained that now it was slightly too fast. Eno adjusted it once more to Mullen's liking.

After the session was over, Eno analyzed the recordings. Mullen was right! The original click track was 6 milliseconds (!) too slow. Then when Eno adjusted it the first time, it became 2 milliseconds (!) too fast, just as Mullen had said.

That's just 1/500th of a second difference! It's incredible that Mullen can accurately detect such small variations in timekeeping. He's like a human chronometer.

Working on RCM Grade 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission