2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2131707 08/12/13 11:32 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I want to thank everyone including Steve Chandler, Nikolas Sideris and Polyphonist, for encouraging me to both engrave music with computer software, and for the much helpful observation and criticism from everyone including Kreisler, Scott, Bosendorff, Axtremus, et al.! It is a bit time consuming to enter the music with the software, but I can see that it helps with presentation and also to clarify what is really exact notation for certain things.

There is one other concern which is with tuplets across barlines.

I assume that apart from obvious engraving errors this type of layout is fine?

[Linked Image]

M.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
To me that shows the RH of m. 25 to have 3 1/3 beats (2 + 4/3), and m. 26 to have 2 2/3 beats. I would rather see an eighth note triplet with a tie for the notes crossing the barline.

[Linked Image]

I will be interested to see other people's opinions.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I like Pianostudent88's solution, and you might consider something similar to the 1st two beats as well (using 8th note triplets with ties the whole way through.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the solution PianoStudent88 and Kreisler - I hadn't thought of that (same as for the one with the other post involving 11/8)!

So then the consensus is that a tone always has to be tied across a barline in this type of instance?

To have each staff in a different time signature for those bars or similar groups of bars, such as 6/4 or 9/4 with the treble clef depending on the number of beats involved, and 3/4 with the bass clef, isn't advised as a possible solution?

M.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I suppose theoretically you could use different time signatures in top and bottom, but it would be highly unusual, and would hinder rather than help the musician in figuring out how the top and bottom parts interact. The given triplets solution seems like a clear solution, without the need for the extreme measure (no pun intended) of vertically mixed time signatures.

Do you have an example of vertically mixed time signatures in the literature? It would be interesting to see the circumstances in which composers have used such an innovation.

I speak as an avid lover of musical notation and the principles behind it. Unlike Nikolas and Kreisler, I don't have experience publishing music. So I speak from what I have seen, read, and studied.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Nikolas and Kreisler, I'm just guessing that someone, somewhere, has used vertically mixed time signatures. But maybe not. Have you ever seen such a thing? Might you ever consider using such a thing?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, it can be used, but I'll repeat once more that Michael's works do not require such radical means! I mean it's just 2 bars, where he uses 3 against 2... Your solution is perfectly fine.

This is why I object in the other threads, to overdo the complexity of the score... :-/

I'm in total agreement with Nikolas. Yes, vertically mixed time signatures are found but no, they're not required in what we've seen of Michael's works.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I agree too. I wanted to at least give vertically mixed time signatures a consideration, just for the sake of theoretically thinking about them -- and then clearly see their complexity, and why the triplets are better. I've been thinking about vertically mixed time signatures ever since reading a sentence about renaissance music and as part of their explorations into ever more involved patterns, some composers composed music with different meters in the different voices. I don't know if we'd ever notate it that way now (and I'm not sure if back then they used things analagous to our current time signatures), but I would love to see some of those polyphonic pieces written out with vertically mixed time signatures.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
I want to thank everyone including Steve Chandler, Nikolas Sideris and Polyphonist, for encouraging me to both engrave music with computer software, and for the much helpful observation and criticism from everyone including Kreisler, Scott, Bosendorff, Axtremus, et al.!

Truly my pleasure if I could be of any help, even if it was infinitesimal. smile Finale is really a great software.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
While unconventional, I think you can leave it as written. However, I do like the solution presented. Another option could be to convert the two measures into one 6/4 measure.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
S
S
Michael,

I may have missed something obvious, but is 9/8 a possibility?

[img]https://app.box.com/s/raaws8m5pmxcqy2zhi8e[/img]

(sorry, I can't seem to get box to give me a proper "typed" link without upgrading to the paid version)

Last edited by stumbler; 08/15/13 12:05 PM. Reason: adjust link
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stumbler
Michael,

I may have missed something obvious, but is 9/8 a possibility?

[img]https://app.box.com/s/raaws8m5pmxcqy2zhi8e[/img]

(sorry, I can't seem to get box to give me a proper "typed" link without upgrading to the paid version)

Thanks stumbler, that is an idea I hadn't thought of. I am leaning toward using the tied eighth notes across the bar lines with the 3/4.

M.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission