Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2133579 - 08/15/13 08:53 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Pretty much done for the night. Third batch of the day. The very high quality playing continues. You guys are good!!!

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval – Gee, what you can do with technology these days!! That was some easy listening there! A nice tempo for dancing up close. Very nice!!

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren – oops, I see you don’t want comments. OK then!

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 – If this is after 6 months of playing you’ve made great progress!! Yes, there are some rough spots. You are letting the right hand accompany the left not the other way around. But, you redeem yourself with the ending. Very nice!! A Chopin Nocturne with this little experience is a huge accomplishment!! Welcome to Online ABF recitals!!!!

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June – ME!! I’m fairly pleased with this recording. My teacher said I was “cautious”. Well, yeah!! The recorder was going!!!

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon – Toe tapping music for sure!! My feet were going and I was playing my imaginary piano right along with you! I can see why the seniors love this stuff. It’s so cheerful!! Very nice playing!!

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor – Not bad for self learning. Not bad at all! Good consistent tempo. Very nice. You should consider taking lessons. You have some real talent if this is all figured out on your own. You could progress readily with a teacher!!

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories – Another composer! I admire those of you who can come up with anything!! Simple, but very nice. Might I comment about your wrist movement of which I thought there was a lot and too much twisting. Mover you whole arm as you play notes that require a reach. Constant twisting and stretching will catch up with you.

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing – Nothing like a good hymn!! A contemporary arrangement played with feeling. I bet your Grandmother really appreciates your playing!!

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 – Ahhhh, more Bach!! A delightful little ditty with a few hesitations but played quite well. I was eager to hear your MP 10 because I’ve read good reviews of it. Very nice tonal quality to it. I hear it has lots of good things going for it.

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger – Very expressive and real easy to listen to. Nice job! I could feel the wind moving. Quite good playing!

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" – Couple of little bobbles but otherwise you really captured that soft swing in the music. Also very expressive and a joy to listen to. Nicely done!

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 – I love Spanish music!! But never played any myself because most of it is HARD!!!! So, good on you! You really handled the rhythms, dynamics and mood very well. I could listen to music like this all day. You made this sound easy. And I know it wasn’t!!

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) – I must be the only person on the planet who hasn’t seen Les Mis! Of course, I know the story. You can hear the passion that is the story in your music. Clearly, you have great feeling about this. Nicely done!

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 – Mozart! Sounds easy. It’s not!!! They say that Mozart will reveal all your flaws! And all three movements too!! Quite the undertaking. Your playing is very good. Loved the second movement. A very polished performance. Insert applause here -!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night – Lovely relaxed hands and very sensitive playing. Love your piano too. This style of music may not do it for me. But, I can tell you played it very well. Very nice!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor – Not quite what I expected from Scriabin, though not sure what I was expecting! Very beautiful haunting melody. You really capture the mood of the piece very well. Your playing has great feeling to it. I enjoyed this very much.

39. Sandy – Consolation – Not the sound I expected from a Yamaha. I kind of liked it. Sounds like the big upright I used to play as a kid! This is another beautiful submission. Moving, emotional music played very well. I enjoyed this too!

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 – A repeat. I happens. This a little different interpretation. Also very well done. I like this composer and will have to look into him. Also surprised by the quality of your Kawai CA 95. This recital has been a real eye opening as far as digital quality. Very nice playing. You had real spirited quality to it.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2133618 - 08/15/13 11:30 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I liked your second invention the best; it has a more wistful air that I find more enjoyable than the typical Bach composition.
I think that's what I liked most about it -- it didn't sound like a "typical" Bach invention.

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
I especially like the excitement you inject into no 15. That piece could very easily sound chaotic, and you keep it in check.
Interesting that you say that. My teacher had me do a lot of work on relaxing while I played this one to keep it from feeling "frantic".

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Your work on the 32nd notes shines.
Another thing that my teacher would not let me slide on. I'm glad all that effort had some effect.

Originally Posted By: Allard
I can hear why you don't like the left hand trills; the right hand ones are noticably better. These sinfonias are quite beautiful. Almost makes me want to play some Bach.
If only I were left-handed. Oh, wait -- never mind. Then it would be the right hand trills giving me grief. wink I actually don't care much for Bach's keyboard music in general, and wasn't looking forward to this exercise. But my teacher wanted me to learn some of his music "to work on finger independence", so I found these that I thought I could live with. Turns out that they became a fun challenge, and the longer I stayed with them, the more I came to appreciate the music. I even have one more sinfonia picked out that I want to learn eventually.

SwissMS, dynamobt, CMohr, peterws - thank you for listening and commenting.

#2133625 - 08/16/13 12:06 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Decided to have PopTarts and stay up late listening. So, here's the last batch!!!

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor – Wow, only a year playing and just half with a teacher? You’ve made great progress!! Your playing is quite lovely. A piece I’ve never heard before. If you had difficulty with the left hand, it doesn’t show in the finish product! And that’s what hard work will do!!!

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version)- OK, another Einaudi piece. I can see how these kind of grow on you. This is a pretty, haunting melody. I can tell you’ve worked to be able to play this just so. The “effects” are quite interesting. I like this composer better on a digital than I do the acoustic for some reason. Very nicely done!

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 – It’s often these “easy to learn” pieces are the hardest to play well. I could hear where you would have liked you RH a bit more quiet. I loved the hymn like sections. A very pretty piece by a composer I’m not familiar with. I liked this piece a lot.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) - Quite taken aback by the water at first!!! Came on kind of strong! It’s a pleasing effect. But could be toned down a bit. It detracted from your playing which was quite lovely. The birds singing I liked!! Very interesting what you can create!!

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D – Improvising requires good grasp of music theory. My big weakness! So, I give a lot of credit to the composers who can make something out of a simple phrase. Pretty good for not a long time at the keyboard! Ah, yes, I remember the theme on Frost!! Improvising is something you clearly enjoy!!

46. joangolfing - Little Bird – Well, the trills and staccato might have given you difficulties early on. But you sure conquered them!! These Lyric Pieces can be quite difficult to play well. This one in particular does not have a flowing melody. So, to hold the piece together with all the varied techniques contained in it, was not so easy. Your end result was beautiful!

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door – Wasn’t this the jazzed up rendition!! Lots of embellishments made it sound like a harp and guitars!! Your playing is very good!

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G – It had to be the candy bar!! Very nice playing for someone who has just fooled around on their own. Some tricky rhythms that you pulled off nicely. Sounds good in G!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 – The red dot may take its toll. But your playing was still very nice. I’m amazed what some of you have accomplished on your own. This takes dedication!!! And a lot of self-motivation!! So, kudos to you!

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 - Isn’t this just a little gem! Very pretty. I thoroughly enjoyed your playing. So much in so little!!

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea – Could almost feel the rolling of the North Sea. Could be the voicing of the piano, or the position of your phone. The base comes on a bit strong overpowering the melody at times. More at the beginning than at the end. And yup, you were rushing it at the end. But, overall, a pretty piece and nicely played.

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) – So, you struggled with the notes sometimes. But you got the rhythms! And that’s the essential feature of ragtime – those tricky rhythms!! And that’s what held it all together.

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) – I could see the heather blowing in the breeze as you played this. Very pretty as the notes got tossed between your two hands. Very good balance between base and treble. Just lovely. Debussy is another composer that isn’t so easy!!

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 – So, a couple of hesitations. And a little rushed in places. But, you always carried the melody well. It’s a jaunty little piece that doesn’t need grand playing. I think that Kuhlau deserves some Kahlua!!!

55. BenPiano – Nefeli – oops, I commented. But, then deleted. Sorry you didn’t want comments.

[b]56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major – Ahhh, some nice orderly Mozart to end the recital. Very nicely done. A light touch was just what this piece called for. Very pretty.

#2133638 - 08/16/13 12:47 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
First 10. Just like the old days! Next batch dependent on internet connection. 'iffy' at best!

01. Andy Platt - Invention in E Major Very nice Andy. I think I can hear some new tunes that can get spun out of those inventions. Especially by mixing up the timing. Learning them will come in handy. Keep it up.

02. Diana (sinophilia) - This and That I thought this was great Diana. My head was boppin' while listening. Your playing is also very smooth and slinky. Nicely done.

03. Greener | Jeff Green - Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2 This was very nice Jeff. I hear a beautiful piece performed very nicely, and I also hear a few notes that you did play, (in terms of hitting the correct key) but were not picked up audibly in the recording. A 'missed' note that you actually didn't miss! You could try holding each note just a micro second longer to make a better audible connection. Overall, it sounded very good.

04. dannylux / Mel - Azarashvili Nocturne No feedback as requested so I just want to say this was a pleasure to relax and unwind with this evening.

05. MaryBee - Three Sinfonias This sounds like a technical and challenging piece to play but you do it with confidence. Trills are never easy but yours sound clean and clear. Nicely done.

06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b This is a nice piece Wouter and I can tell the attention you put into the volume changes. My 'critique" would be that the first note of most bars in this piece sounded just a bit 'stabbing' to me. Possibly a bit overemphasized. I'm not sure, it's just the way I hear it. Overall, very nice.

07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2 Wow. Hold it,....WOW! I mean, not too shabby. Okay I lied. WOW!

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1 I loved your playing as it is so smooth and flowing. I can clearly sense how deeply you are getting into this piece as you perform it. It does come through as I'm receiving it. Absolutely one of this recitals best. Excellent.

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 This is a beautiful piece Sam. I can hear the attention you are giving to the trills and ornaments. Your efforts are certainly paying off.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - First Loss This was nice to listen to cheryl. It sounded tricky to read let alone make sound nice. My favorite part was the chord progression as I love dramatic melodies like that. Your progress is noticeable.

#2133653 - 08/16/13 01:59 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables)) - I haven't seen nor heard any of this before (I'm a little uncultured, apparently), but I did enjoy your rendition along with the lyrics provided to follow along. I was about to get all patriotic and start arming myself, but at the end realized this apparently took place in France some time in the past! laugh

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 - "This is the easiest of the sonatas and yet it's impossible to make it sound any good"

OK, stop right there. Clearly you have practiced this to oblivion (and if not, I bow even further), or else it wouldn't sound "good". Scratch that, it sounds AMAZING!

Seven hells, 99% of us here in the ABF would love to sound like this on our best practice session, done in sections so we feel better about ourselves.

Very well done and recorded for ABF benchmarking from now until...well, forever!

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night - I liked this a lot. I'm still a little behind on the Einaudi curve, but I hope to get to it eventually - in the meantime I'll listen to renditions like this and dream I'm the one playing!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor - mmmm, so lovely! I've played some later Scriabin (badly), and heard only a little of his early stuff. What I hear in his early stuff, like this one, makes more sense, and then there's that little "twang" present throughout to remind us of what comes later.

Really enjoyed this, and am glad you shared with us - well played!

39. Sandy - Consolation - Thank you for sharing this Mendelssohn with us! - I'm really slapping myself on the forehead for not buying one of his letters with a drawing a few years back at auction.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 - I have a copy of this on a CD called "relaxing piano". The entry on the disc for this is in no way relaxing.

I really like your interpretation of this on. It's not "relaxing", like sold on the disc, but it is more enjoyable in its presentation than that professional recording, like it's supposed to be. I enjoyed your much more relaxed presentation of this!

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor - I really like how you played this and restrained yourself - very nice for under 2 years!

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) - I love this piece, and the way you played it - well done!

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 - Very well done, I could hear the story played out!

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) - Very nice, Lady Payne! The background was a little too much in contrast to your playing, and I enjoyed your playing very much.

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D - Nicely done with your original - I would suggest to get a sustain pedal for your casio to get the sounds that you need to (and that I could hear while listening) out of your instrument. smile

#2133664 - 08/16/13 02:24 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

34. Stumbler – A Lenda do Caboclo

Stumbler, I've listened to this one probably 25 times over now. It's really getting under my skin and is deeply moving. Really beautiful--I want to play like this.

#2133684 - 08/16/13 03:36 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Whizbang]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Thanks to Monika, AimeeO, Casintaly, Allard, Dynomobt, CMohr, peterws, and Mr Super-Hunky for your generous comments on my piece!

Here is my next batch:

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) A really relaxing jazz piece! This is a nice arrangement and you have a good start on it.

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major Beautiful, lyrical piece. Nice definition of a singing melody over even, subdued arpeggiated chords in the same hand. Very well played!

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval Ah, nice relaxed jazz! Very smooth. I enjoyed it!

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren The is a surreal “Julia”. I really liked it. Very smoothly played!

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Only 6 months experience? This is an amazing performance for such a short time on the bench. This is not an easy piece to play well. Great job.

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June I love this piece. The opening theme is so sad, and the center section sounds like a joyful reprieve, before returning to the brooding. You brought out its character well! Nice transitions into and out of the piu mosso. The ending was sensitively done. I have just started this piece. You have given me a good benchmark to follow!

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon Toe tapping good fun! I like the swing that you give it. It just makes you want to get up and dance.

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor Nice, even rhythym and good balance between the hands. Well done.

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories What a beautiful, haunting melody! Thinking of the title, it brought to mind skipping along in a pretty meadow, exploring the world. Very nice.

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing This is a really beautiful arrangement and you played it wonderfully. Your Mother should be proud!

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 This little prelude is deceptively more difficult than it looks on the page. You handled the left trills and the run at the end well. Your off to a good start!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Very expressive playing! You definitely have a good feel for this piece. Very nice.

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" A very pretty arrangement of a relaxing jazz piece. I enjoyed it!

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 This is an interesting piece. It seems to cover the entire dynamic range, and present different moods. You brought that out well. I have a Brazilian piano teacher so I will have to ask her the meaning of the title!

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) I just recently saw this movie. Your playing truly presented the story well. I could see the scenes all over again. Beautiful, sensitive playing! I loved it!

Edited by SwissMS (08/16/13 04:00 AM)

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2133704 - 08/16/13 05:10 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only)
Damn. The sound quality is really, really bad. I can hear the awesome grand underneath the noise, fortunately, and imagine what it must have sounded live.

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major
This is very beautiful, Pika. I'm afraid I'll have to listen to it a few more times.

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval
With the band this makes for a complete picture. Well played. Hope to see you back to pracising later.

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren
The Beatles are before my time, but then again, so are Beethoven and Chopin, so that's no reason to dismiss this. Welcome back to the piano smile

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2
Uhm... sorry, you're not allowed to play this so well with only six monthx experience. Nope, not possible. No sir.

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June
Music usually looks easy when the experts play it. Everything is done with minimal effort, the most graceful movements, to get the most beautiful sound. You'll get there!

#2133721 - 08/16/13 06:44 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BenPiano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables)) ...but I did enjoy your rendition along with the lyrics provided to follow along. I was about to get all patriotic and start arming myself, but at the end realized this apparently took place in France some time in the past! laugh

smile

Thanks Ben - hope you sang along too - Sorry you're a little late for the party - like about 181 years - but fret not - and hold onto that weapon - there's bound to be a revolution somewhere sometime...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2133722 - 08/16/13 06:48 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SwissMS]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: SwissMS

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) I just recently saw this movie. Your playing truly presented the story well. I could see the scenes all over again. Beautiful, sensitive playing! I loved it!

Thanks much - and you should see the live stage version if you ever get a chance - far superior to the movie!

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2133723 - 08/16/13 07:05 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
01. Andy Platt - Invention in E Major - Andy, this is not wrong for me, and not monotonous at all! I'm not a Bach fan but this piece held my interest. Good job!

02. Diana (sinophilia) - This and That - Diana, this is a nice and happy piece. I love the balance and the good coordination between RH and LH. Good job!

03. Greener | Jeff Green - Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2 - Ah, Chopin... I love this, Jeff. I can imagine how difficult is to play this piece, and you did a great job!

04. dannylux / Mel - Azarashvili Nocturne - Azarashvili is new for me. Very sweet and intense melody, very well played. Thanks for bringing this rare piece to us.

05. MaryBee - Three Sinfonias - MaryBee, all the 3 sinfonias are great and I agree with you about the last one. I'm starting to understand why Bach is so (wel!!) played in ABF. You did an incredible job!

06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b - Sad, but charming. Well done.

07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2 - You don't need to explain anything. Your music speaks for it self! Such expression is hard to achieve but you did it like an expert. Very good!

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1 - Doris, you've the right technical level to play this (far from easy) piece. Good job!

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 - Sam, I love Chopin and this is a beautiful, beautiful nocturne. Your playing is just great. Very good!

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - First Loss - Cheryl, Schumann pieces are not in my to-do list, but I thing I'm going to change that... You're giving me a beautiful example how Schumann pieces can be understood and played. Great job!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2133733 - 08/16/13 07:43 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
51. Lady Augustina- You always know something is good when you listen and the first thought through your head is "I want to learn that". You play this lovely tune so well, especially the first half. You do sound a bit rushed at the end but not bad.

48. Mile High Steve- that must have been really fun playing this on the grand in the church. So this is your shorter version of Winston's version? Very nice.

16. Richard- I always look forward to your recital entries. This is definitely not one of my favorite Liszt pieces but the combination of your spendid playing and your comments made it much more interesting. A great listen... thanks.

Edited by Peyton (08/16/13 07:44 AM)

#2133762 - 08/16/13 08:43 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
01. Andy Platt - Invention in E Major On listening back I find a couple of things I really liked but the slips sound worse than I remember. Funny how when you are recording you can convince yourself that the slips aren't so bad. I must have got into the piece and "out of recording mode" as it went on until the final section was just how I wanted it. Should have played it backwards wink

02. Diana (sinophilia) - This and That I think you captured the essence of this piece really well. The tempo was excellent - definitely not too slow and you got the rhythm just right. Nicely phrased too.

03. Greener | Jeff Green - Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2 You have the feel of the Chopin waltz just right with a nice steady left hand. Some sections where you were obviously more comfortable and went fast sounded awesome though the dynamics during those periods did seem to disappear a bit. I really liked the change in mood between the sections.

04. dannylux / Mel - Azarashvili Nocturne Such a wonderfully pretty piece you've found. I really enjoyed how the melody sung and was shaped - particularly where it changed voices. I'm surprised nobody has turned this into a pop song - perhaps they have! - because it really is so vocal. I enjoyed how you really built the piece as it progressed. Wonderful!!

05. MaryBee - Three Sinfonias These are fantastic. After struggling with the two part inventions, anyone who can play the three part ones - AND make them sound so convincing, deserves high praise. You really got the voicing just right; I liked your choice of tempo and dynamics.

06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b Sounds just totally awesome. There are those echo phrases in here that when done right touch the heart directly and they were perfect. I agree with the choice of pedal; I think it needs the warmth it gives the piece and I suspect you are spot on about the piano he would have used. I think the tempo was convincing - any faster would have been a mess but you don't let it become maudlin. Wonderful!

07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2 You do a fantastic job of keeping the melody singing above all the arpeggios and don't let the, wonderfully played ornamention, get in the way. The tempo - and use of rubato are just fantastic. Loved it!

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1 A piece I know and love! You played it at almost precisely the same tempo as me too which is good - hate those super fast performances wink I feel you captured the mood of this piece very nicely; the different sections were different which was well done and you moved through some of the quicker sections with great panache.

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 Firstly I agree about the ornaments. I too bought the Henle edition of the Nocturnes which is well printed but totally useless for a composer who changed everything about his pieces all the time. There can never be a definitive version of a Chopin piece. Sigh, I've learned my lesson. But what a fantastic job you do with this nocturne. It is so tender, played so well and is one of those pieces that just washes over me.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - First Loss You really nailed the voices in this piece. They are what add the tenderness and you got it. I found the tempo to be just right and there were nice dynamic contrasts. The big chords at the end were great too!

Kawai K3

#2133796 - 08/16/13 11:15 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

11. Inlanding - Glen - Gnossienne No 1 - Glen, this piece is not for everyone. In other words, it's not for *all* pianists. I imagine the sensitivity that one must have to be able to play this piece like you did. You have all the "powers" to play it. Very, very good!

12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four- A Journey to the Far Side of the World - Peyton, this is your best "Message". You managed to keep the (beautiful!) melody along the entire piece and it's amazing how you were showing it surreptitiously in the middle of the LH chords. Your technique lets you do things like this: I can see the "colors" and the "waves" of this journey. This is a unique, clever, intelligent, and remarkable way of composing. My sincere congratulations!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2133802 - 08/16/13 11:37 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Carlos, thank you. I didn't think anyone would (or could) hear the melody hidden in the left hand so you made my day.

#2133805 - 08/16/13 11:40 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Next 10 (I think this will be the last today):

11. Inlanding - Glen - Gnossienne No 1 I've always found the Gnossiennes to be "harder" to understand than the Gymnopedies but you have played it in a way that clearly articlates the piece and brings it into focus. Excellent! I felt the control of the left hand allowed the melody to come through and give clear direction without dragging the piece down.

12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four- A Journey to the Far Side of the World I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that the title of your next piece will be "Message From Space: Part Five ..." I think I found this to be the best of them so far. A little Einaudi like - which isn't always so terrible (runs for cover!) I just let it wash over me.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Prelude in D Flat Major This is wonderful and I bet all those little kids don't do such a great job! You really had the melody flowing wonderfully over all of those arpeggios, with a very nice dynamic range. And I can't read Db major wink so that would be a challenge in itself.

14. Allard - Dreamer's Waltz This is just wonderful for someone who has played for a relatively short period of time. I think you have good control over the chords which don't crash in too much. And the melody is nicely separated from the arpeggios with great phrasing. And very well done for keeping such a long piece going building without the interest being lost.

15. peterws - Contemplation 5 I'm not usually a fan of add-ons to the piano music but this works well, very musical and suits the very simple construction of the piece. Nice playing!

16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth An eight minute piece by Liszt - you must be crazy! Oh, but so beautifully played. The opening is haunting and well controlled. You transition into the next section very well and before I know it, I realize I'm just sitting there staring into space and the piece is over. Fabulous.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em Personally I would have written, "Wow! I played it perfectly, couldn't believe it ..." Sounds just wonderful. The introduction is mesmerizing and it evolves into a nicely constructed piece. As to the dedication, Andre Prevue would be impressed wink

18. Mr Super- Hunky - Rain (Cover) The melody reminds me of some folk tunes - not specific ones, just the presence. It sounds wonderful and I get the sense of the rain from it. It sounds like a wonderful arrangement and is played fantastically.

19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116) A piece I remember playing and not getting exactly right. You have done a lovely job of getting the different touches - legato, staccato. There is a lovely mood change in the minor section. Great!

20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan) Very nice composition but why no shout-out to Tchaikovsky? I thought the different sections were wonderfully done - integrated but different. The playing was wonderfully - the runs, the speed, the arpeggios and trills. Fantastic!!!

Kawai K3

#2133806 - 08/16/13 11:46 AM Re: Recital #31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
So far I've only listened to classical pieces... the rest I'll listen to over the weekend. These recitals are fun and I'm sorry to have missed participating in so many!!

01. Andy Platt - Invention in E Major Andy, I really enjoyed this piece and know how hard Bach is to play. You brought out the voices very well. Nicely done!

03. Greener | Jeff Green - Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2 Jeff, this was very well played. I'm studying this piece right now....been working on it for nearly a year... It's quite difficult. I find it especially hard to repeat the fast sections with evenness (I'm guilty of only playing them once...sometimes) If I get it right once, I want to move on because I'll never get it right twice in a row!!! You did a really good job on this waltz. I'm inspired to work harder! Thanks for sharing!

06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b This is a beautiful. I love Mendelssohn and hope to learn this maybe next. You did a wonderful job. Those left hand arppegios make it a very difficult piece to play! Nice job!!

07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2 I really enjoyed listening to this. Chopin's Nocturnes are not easy! You played it very well! Thank you for sharing!

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1 Nicely played. You must be pleased!! You did a good job of keeping the left hand steady. I would love to study this piece. It is beautiful and I've listened to it so very often. Thank you for sharing. How long did it take you to learn?

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 Lovely! I'm learning so much from this recital. Keep it steady! A wrong note or two isn't as bad as inconsistent rhythm. Most people wouldn't even notice. You did a really nice job with this piece. I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

13. Riddler (Ed) - Prelude in D Flat Major Oh! this is such a lovely piece. I've studied it ....twice a few years ago and this past year..... at my teacher's request for me to relearn it. I'm still trying to polish it... bringining out the correct melody at a good speed is challenging. Nicely done! And ditto...all those little YouTube kids playing the pieces I am struggling with!! aaahhhhh!!!

16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth Beautiful! It didn't seem long to me because it was most enjoyable! Nice! Thank you for sharing. I hope you put out the trash!

19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116) Really nicely played. A great accomplishment after only 8.5 months! And yes! I think dancing might have been in order!

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major I'm learning that even easy pieces are difficult to play extremely well!.. This was amazing. I couldn't hear mistakes and I can only imagine how difficult the left hand was in this piece... waaaayy out of my reach ...even after 10+ years of studying!.. Awesome job! It sounded close to professional to me!! That Kawai CSa6 piano sounds really good!

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Six Months! wow. Please tell me you are a restarter!! or...you are very talented. Most are playing several years before attempting a Chopin Nocturne. You did a nice job on this pretty advanced piece!

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June I love this piece and you played it beautifully! I did study the first part a couple of years ago but it got too difficult in the middle section! I'm inspired to pick it up again to see if I have advanced enough to tackle it! Beautiful! I really enjoyed listening! I'm always curious to know how long people have studied a piece... did it take you very long to get this to such a polished level?

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor Nice job. I do recommend practicing with the metronome for this piece and maybe listening to some recordings of it. It's a lovely piece and it sounded light - as it is supposed to. Sorry to read that you are demotivated. If you are able to get a teacher, you might find the inspiration you need! Sometimes my music lessons are more like therapy for me!

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 Good job. This was one of the first Bach pieces I did and loved playing it. You are doing a nice job. Maybe practice second half and the end run very slowly with the metronome for a while till your fingers have good control and it is even. Then speed up gradually.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 OOooohh I was excited to hear this and was so very impressed. I've been studying the first movement for quite a while... You played it beautifully. It is so difficult to play at a decent speed and accurately and even!!! I particularly liked the second movement...think I'll ask my teacher to study that next.... of course I'm still a ways off from polishing the first movement. How would you rate the second and third in difficulty compared to the firs?? Thank you for posting this Sonata. It's so wonderful and I loved your playing of it!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor Haha....as a dog lover I got a kick out of the growling....:-)) This was a lovely piece. I'm not familiar with very many of Scriabin piecet but I loved this!! Nice job!

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 Amazing...I am always so impressed with people who can play at this level after such a short time. Most of us (er..um.. me at least) will be struggling with pieces of this difficulty for many years.... Awesome!

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor Very pretty piece. Nicely played. Thank you for sharing this piece.
o)

46. joangolfing - Little Bird I'm hearing so many piece in this recital that I've never heard before and really like! The timing of this This sounds quite challenging! I enjoyed listening!

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 I love Mendelssohn bu have never heard this piece. Nice! Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed it.

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) Oh this was so lovely. I really enjoyed lisening. It sounds difficult to play ....as ALL Debussy is I know.. I've only attempted Reverie so far ...without succes.... Nicely played! Thank you for sharing!

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 Very nice! Kuhlau Sonatinas are such fun to play and provide great technical exercise! You did a great job!

[56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major This was nicely played. You can't hide from Mozart! It's always 'exposed' music that can't be 'faked'.... It sounded lovely!(to do)

#2133814 - 08/16/13 12:17 PM Re: Recital #31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

For SAnnM AB 2001, I think I started the Tchaikovsky in early June. There were many places in the piece that gave me fits! That jaunty cheerful section in the middle?? OY!!! And the transition out of it that ends with the ascending broken chords?? Much, much practice needed! Even the ending that's really almost a whole page long took time to soften the chords above the descending melody note. But, the piece is so pretty, I was inspired to practice. I just wanted so much to get it right!

SwissMS, thank you for your kind words!! I really was so pleased when I got this recording "in the can"! So many places to slip up it wasn't funny!! I feel a bit odd being someone's "benchmark". But, thank you very much for the compliment!!!!

Allard, yes, I will get there!! I'm a determined sucker!!!

#2133841 - 08/16/13 01:04 PM Re: Recital #31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

48. Mile Hi Steve
piece: Joy in G
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: a soft white noise . Thuds at very low frequency - seems coming from the pedal. I think moving the mics a bit away from the soundboard would alleviate this, but that might not give you the sound you are looking for. Or maybe you can try a rumble filter.
bass: ok
depth of field: little
piano sound: Good. The treble (melody line) seems a bit harsh. It really helps getting the voice out though.

musical:
overall impression, like: Sounds more joyful and lighter than the original! Playing this in a church on a good grand must add a lot to the fun too smile Melody is very clear separated from the rest. I like the speed that you take. It keeps flowing nicely.
Good job on putting it in G. But why does it "*need* to be played at a higher pitch"?
I had to look up your version in C from last year as I didn't remember it, and then heard that that version was with a DP. So contrats on the major upgrade to a Steinway grand! It really sounds miles better smile Keep at it please !
Phrasing: Hardly. I've said it before, Bach's melodies are not breathing, so it's not your fault wink.
rubato, speed changes: Very steady pace. One big slowdown at the end.
Dynamics: I compared with your last year's version on the DP, and indeed your current version has more dynamics. So congrats on your achievement! But I really think much more dynamic range is available on a good grand, even in the key of C smile
articulation: pedal per measure. Fits the style.

#2133861 - 08/16/13 01:41 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

05. MaryBee
piece:Three Sinfonias (JS Bach)
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: soft, low pitch noise. Nothing disturbing
bass: not so much (no deep bass notes in the piece)
depth of field: not so deep
piano sound: good for an upright

musical:
overall impression, like:
I like to hear this all without pedal. Like with Mozart, this exposes both the music and your playing completely. And you do this all very nicely. Both melody lines keep nice in balance and are nicely controlled.
Some nitpicking: sometimes you seem to get a bit tense. For example, the somewhat bigger chord in 0:13, it's a little louder and slightly off the beat. Also the faster runs at eg 1:39 and 4:40 could be slightly smoother. These runs may be slightly over your top. Still good that you push there!
Phrasing: Bach doesn't doe phrasing?
rubato, speed changes: hardly
Dynamics: Yes, nice job on that, I always wonder what Bach wants but this seems to work. Particularly on the 2nd piece the dynamics are nice. On the 3rd piece the dynamics seem to depend mostly on the speed of the notes, probably Bach intended it that way.
articulation: mostly finger legato and some staccato stuff here and there against legato in the other hand. Nice

#2133871 - 08/16/13 02:01 PM Re: Recital #31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Last batch of comments. I am amazed at the talent presented in this recital. It is the best one yet! Thanks to Monica K. and all the hard working folks who make this recital possible for the rest of us. It is a real gift to the community and it is appreciated!

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 Beautiful playing on this NOT so easy Sonata. My first piano teacher told me Mozart called it the easy sonata as a joke, so that the students of the aristocracy, who thought they were oh so good, would struggle with it. It begins easy and then gets deceptively difficult. You played so crisply! All three movements sounded very clean and expressive. The Andante was beautiful and the Rondo was playful. I am probably one of the few who actually loves the rondo. It is just fun to play. Great job!

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night Beautiful Einaudi! You played it very sensitively. I like how you inserted breaths into the transitions. It gives the piece a meditative feel.

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor I like the restrained approach you gave this piece. It has a wistful feel. The 2’s against 3’s were very evenly done. Nice. And I love the dog harmonizing!

39. Sandy - Consolation This is one of the Leider ohne Worter that is on my list to do. I like your dynamics. You expressed the piece very well.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 Nice job on this surrealistic piece. I like your “skipping” approach to it. Great dynamics. Very effective!

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor I remember this from the EPP! Very nicely played! You look very confident with the piece now. I enjoyed it.

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) You have created a beautiful arrangement, that is very full and expressive. You seem to have a natural feel for improvising from Einaudi’s music. I am not familiar with this piece, but I really liked the minimalist ending minute. Beautiful.

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 This has a music box quality. You did a good job of projecting the melody over the accompaniment. Very nice.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) I like the nature sounds! Canon always means celebration of life to me. The sounds fit nicely. Very original arrangement of this classic! I enjoyed it.

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D Very nice improv! I enjoyed it!

46. joangolfing - Little Bird I have always like this piece. It sounds like the quick movements of a bird. You brought that character out very well. Nicely played.

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door Beautifully played. I loved those gorgeous tingling cascades! This is wonderful performance. Loved that final arpeggio.

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G This is a very uplifting performance of this piece. The Steinway sounds magnificent and your playing does it justice!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 This is a sweet bittersweet piece. I enjoyed your presentation of it very much.

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 You gave this a nice restrained touch that was very effective. A very pretty little piece!

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea This is gorgeous piece. It sounds like being on a journey to somewhere. So if you speeded up at the end, it just added to the urgency to get there! Nice job.

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) Sounds like Joplin! Nice job!

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) This is a new Debussy prelude to me. This has jazzy feel to it. You played it well. His music is full of surprises, and you brought out that character in this. Very nice!

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 I really like Kuhlua. I keep calling him a coffee liquor too. You did a very nice job on this, keeping a very even rhythm and subdued dynamics. Well played!

55. BenPiano - Nefeli More beautiful Einaudi. Very sensitively played! You definitely have a good feel for his music.

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major This is such a fun Minuet! You played it very cleanly and with good balance between the hands. Great job.

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2133887 - 08/16/13 02:27 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thank you dynamobt, Whizbang(I am in envy of your ragtime), and SwissMS(I look forward to seeing what your teacher says).

I thought of going through the submissions in random order. That prompted me to think of other ways to order them. In the end I decided to go by playing time. Here if the first batch, everything under 2 minutes.

31. yester, 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939
This is a nice prelude. You play it with nice phrasing and at a good tempo. There are a couple spots where the quarter notes were rushed, I think the music needs to breath a bit more at those points. Good job on the run of sixteenth notes near the end.

02. Diana(sinophilia), This and That
What a fun piece. I like the tempo, feels like I am strutting down the street full of confidence.

28. ClavBoy, Minuet in D Minor
One doesn't hear the elder Mozart very often. It sounds fine without the pedal. You captured the minuet feel nicely.

56. Ohio_Mark, Minuet in F Major
I've heard this piece before on a recording my daughter had. You play it at exactly the right tempo. Good job with the triplets, since they only occur in a couple places there is a danger of losing the rhythm, but you had no problem.

50. Copper, Variation No. 14
This one is new to me. You play it with a gravitas that suits it well.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) First Loss
You really capture the mood of this. Beautifully played.

23. Serge88, Manha de Carnaval
I agree that the accompaniment really adds something, not boring at all.

41. MrPozor, Waltz in B minor
I first listened to this without looking at the recital description. I thought, I don't recognize this Chopin. But it is Schubert. I can see how you would fall in love with it. It is a beautiful piece. I didn't notice any mistakes, a delight to listen to.

19. Earlofmar, Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116)
Nice work. Definitely no shooting. Just a tiny bit of polishing and there will be dancing all around.

33. CMohr, You've Changed
When I saw the title of your piece I hoped it was the piece it is. I have a Billie Holiday recording of this piece. Great arrangement.

#2133897 - 08/16/13 02:56 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: stumbler]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stumbler
Thank you dynamobt, Whizbang(I am in envy of your ragtime), and SwissMS(I look forward to seeing what your teacher says).

I thought of going through the submissions in random order. That prompted me to think of other ways to order them. In the end I decided to go by playing time. Here if the first batch, everything under 2 minutes.

Not quite everything: Mine was 01:58 wink

Kawai K3

#2133935 - 08/16/13 04:23 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Andy Platt]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Not quite everything: Mine was 01:58 wink

Andy, that's strange <scratch my head>, the recital thread has it as 1:58, but my player says 2:15. When I play the audio file 2:15 is about right. I checked a few others, but they don't have a big discrepancy like yours. For example, CMohr's piece agrees at 1:59.

#2133939 - 08/16/13 04:32 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Carlos, thank you. I didn't think anyone would (or could) hear the melody hidden in the left hand so you made my day.

thumb
Peyton, to me the melody was hidden but always present. That's why I think the work is impressive.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2133957 - 08/16/13 05:10 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Next batch:

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) What a nice, jazzy intro. Can’t wait to hear you work up the rest of the piece. (And I love the bottle cap bracelet! You are a good dad indeed. smile )

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major Yes, I think “insanely difficult” is a very apt description! I could tell just from watching the video how hard it must have been to voice the melody as distinctly as you did. Excellent job on a beautiful piece.

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval I’m glad you were lured out of a temporary piano hiatus to record this piece for the recital, Serge. What an enjoyable piece of smooth jazz for a late Friday afternoon–a great way for me to start the weekend. thumb

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren Welcome to the recital, Anne! I always thought “Julia” was one of the most bittersweet songs of the Beatles. I like the arrangement you play a lot; it captures the poignancy well.

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Welcome to the recital to you, too, Dumik! Surely your statement that you have only 6 months of experience at the piano is a typo? I’m guessing most people with 6 years at piano still couldn’t play that nocturne as well as this performance.

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June What a lovely melody. And you did this in ONE take?!? wow With no bloopers? My hat’s off to you! That series of rapid arpeggios up the keyboard at 2:35 sure sounded fun to play, too.

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon Oh, this is a fun piece. I’m guessing the seniors just love it. And I like how you’ve played it; I’m not sure it needs to be any more jaunty–it’s got a nice, lilting swing to it that works well.

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor Very nicely done. smile What setting did you use on your piano? It had a nice harpsichord tone that suited the music well.

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories I always enjoy your compositions, TrueBeginner. This one is no exception. It’s a lovely melody, a little nostalgic, and one that seemed to capture well the innocence of childhood.

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing I really like this arrangement; it’s more contemporary and new age-ish than a traditional hymnbook arrangement. You play it beautifully. If you like this style, you may want to check out David Nevue's "Revelations" album and his sheet music; this piece reminds me a lot of his arrangements.

#2133973 - 08/16/13 05:55 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
And my final round - tomorrow some thank yous!

What a gorgeous listening experience. I think we can all be just a little bit proud of ourselves, don't you?

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 A fascinating piece - haunting, weird and wonderful. I always find there is a slight feeling of hallucination and nightmares when I hear this piece. It is sort of creepy in a neat way. I think you've done an excellent job on capturing the mood and feel of this piece.

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor Dear Mr. Pozor - So happy you could join us here! What a pleasure to hear your waltz again! I enjoyed it when you played it at the party, but I think you've made some improvements since then. You say it isn't perfect...well, which of our pieces is? You played with the right touch of "sweetness" to make this piece very enjoyable. Bravo!

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) Carlos, I'm so glad you are enjoying your "life" smile - I don't know how you and some of the others do it - hear a piece and then manage to play it? And to make your own adaptations? I'm beyond impressed. This has all the qualities I've come to expect from your performances, and I think this one perhaps has moved you up to a new level of confidence and expression. I enjoyed listening...obrigado, foi um prazar!

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 Isn't it lovely when you have a piece that you keep wanting to work on, to explore a new level of performing? I enjoyed reading the background to your piece: I have never heard of this composer, or this Opus. Thank you for introducing me to something new. It was charming - just charming. You played it with a lovely delicacy that suits the story perfectly!

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) Your sound effecs took me by surprise to start with , but they were sweet. This is a very pretty arrangement of a well-loved piece. Nicely done!

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D The long awaited Avenue D...Ok, so, not "sassy" - I'd say it was a laid-back Sunday walk in the park - You're very creative! Nice work!

46. joangolfing - Little Bird As we've got the Grieg themed recital coming up ,I was particularly looking forward to hearing this! You did a brilliant job of catching the warbling of the little bird! In fact it sounded like an entire aviary- I can hear how much work you must have done to make this sound so smooth and simple. Of course you need to keep it in your repertoire. Most enjoyable !

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door I could not think which musical this song came from, so I looked it up! I first saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat about ..oh, 30 years ago! wow...I don't remember much of the show but you certainly delivered on the lyrical quality of this piece - I loved the rippling tripping cascades of notes, and the full drama of the piece. You really gave us an excellent performance! Thank you !

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G Very interesting. This is one of the first pieces I played (bass clarinet) in our highschool concert band. I've always loved it. Your rendition was very interesting and a pleasure to hear.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 I've never heard of this composor or piece...It is an elegant, rich performance - it makes me think of a dramatic end of romance scene in a black and white movie. Most evocative.

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 I've been becoming more and more interested in Mendelssohn the past year - your performance got me thinking again about trying something of his. This is a sombre piece - it has quite a thoughtful air to it. Thank you for introducing me to new piece of music!

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea What a great piece of music! I can see the whitecaps on the waves and hear the gulls crying. There is a lot of drama and energy in this piece and I think you have done a super job of bringing it to life! What fun. Very enjoyable.

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) I don't think there really is such a thing as an easy Joplin! However, it does sound like you've worked hard and had a lot of fun with this piece.

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) What a pretty piece of music. (Bruyeres: Bru - like "blue" with an "R" - ye (as in YEar) +air.....Bru-YEair) The name is heather, so perhaps I was predisposed to think of mountainsides and small mountain flowers? I can see why you fell in love with it, it is charming. Lovely performance!

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 I've heard this composer's name fairly often, but not his works. This grabbed me right from the first notes! I love it! The second movement had me smiling and imagining dancers treading softly in an elegant ballroom.-and what a cheeky little finale! Absolutely DELIGHTFUL! Complimenti!!!

55. BenPiano - Nefeli You certainly have a talent for these works - I like the energy you bring to the performance - the shifts from darker to brighter moods. Very well done!

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major Sweet! I can see the gentlemen bowing to the ladies, ladies curtsey, they join hands and slowly, with dignity, perform the sedate steps of the minuet. A lovely finale to our recital.

Edited by casinitaly (08/17/13 04:16 AM)
Edit Reason: Portuguese typo! :)

#2134002 - 08/16/13 07:16 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth It's always exciting to hear pieces I've never heard before. From the way this began I would not have recognized it as Liszt. I love the way it starts out a little ethereally. (Your performance notes led an invaluable understanding to this work). I think you've performed movingly and touchingly, and carefully working all the sentiments desired. It is quite the story and you have "told" it superbly. I had to listen more than once - a very moving performance. Standing ovation!!

17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em I love how you begin your composition low and quiet and work into a more playful tone. It is just fantastic writing and naturally excellent playing. There's a lot going on and you've put it all together perfectly. I loved it!

18. Mr Super- Hunky - Rain (Cover) What a great melodic piece you've chosen for this recital. Your method (FOAM) is so enviable, and along with that your playing - wonderfully confident singing quality you give this piece. I think you balanced that piece really well considering that booming bass your M&H has laugh. I find myself humming this while I'm writing - beautifully performed!

19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116) I think this i quite wonderful playing. Nice, clean articulation necessary for Bach. Very enjoyable and very, very nice work for 8 1/2 months. Bravo!

20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan) Having listened while watching your video, I was first struck by the painting which seemed so appropriate (I'm thinking " Swan Lake" here smile ). Your playing is stupendous - I was blown away by your performance! You are telling a story with this composition and you've told it convincingly and with great panache! Truly inspiring.

#2134005 - 08/16/13 07:21 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 With Bach, “short” doesn’t mean “easy.” grin You handled the challenges of this little piece masterfully.

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Absolutely lovely. I’m a sucker for deep bass notes, and that one at 2:17 sent chills down my spine. This is one I’m going to play over and over again.

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" Another great jazzy song to start my weekend off. smile You also win the coveted “One Take” prize. I just wish your recording were longer.

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 I’ve never used the sostenuto pedal myself, but I can see how it’s necessary in this piece. Great job with the dynamics, by the way. This is a very dramatic piece, and your dynamics make it sing.

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) Great medley from one of my all time favorite musicals. Your transition between the two songs was highly effective.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 You had me laughing with your comment about Mozart sitting next to you on the bench, hurling insults. laugh But I know what you mean about being totally exposed and needing perfection. You came pretty danged close to perfection here; I was amazed at how smooth, delicate, and fast your runs were.

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night I can’t understand why when I’m sitting on the bench I don’t hear the tempo variations that are blindingly obvious when I listen to my recording. Guess it’s more quality time with the metronome for me!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor Every time I hear a Scriabin piece I think to myself that I need to learn more about his works. This is such a beautiful, sad piece, and you express the moodiness well–not to mention acing the 3-against-2 polyrhythms.

39. Sandy - Consolation I’m a bit curious as to why he called it “Consolation”; it seems a much more optimistic, forceful piece to me. I would’ve named it “Courage” or “Aspiration” or something like that instead. Nice playing, with effective dynamics (though it’s a shame about the clipping).

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 I enjoyed comparing your and Glen’s interpretations of the Satie piece. Both were excellent, but yours has an edginess compared to Glen’s more mellow, swinging performance. They both work, and it makes me want to revisit the piece and see what I’d come up with.

#2134024 - 08/16/13 07:59 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica, those arpeggios or broken chords as I call them, are fun to play. They took a bit for me to learn. The left hand has five notes in each chord inversion. I learned to keep my eye on the next note I needed to put my baby finger on. All the rest of the notes seemed to eventually take care of themselves. Thank goodness!! Thanks for the compliments!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
2 minutes 54 seconds ago
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
52 minutes 50 seconds ago
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
Today at 04:01 AM
Who's Online
132 registered (ajames, accordeur, AndresD, anotherscott, 43 invisible), 1318 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158467 Topics
2327105 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission