Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2136120 - 08/20/13 04:43 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Just a few more -

14. Allard – Dreamer’s Waltz – A big, lush waltz. Well played!

12. Peyton – A Journey to the Far Side of the World – what a great lot of movement you get in to your pieces, appropriately, since this one is a journey. You play it with great awareness of its sonority.

10. casinitaly (Cheryl) – First Loss – A delicate piece, and played delicately. The chords were well-done, with some nice dynamics.

8. SwissMS – Arabesque 1 – How lovely! You have a wonderful touch, and you have a great balance between the hands.

4. dannylux/Mel – Azarashvili Nocturne – I loved the whole piece, and the way you play it. I love the contrasts between melodic and big chords, and the ending was perfect.

2. Diana (soniphilia) – This and That – After reading all the comments I was really looking forward to this, and boy, is it cool! Your *swing* is just right – here’s tipping my top hat to you!

Thanks, as usual, to all who have contributed to the administration of this recital work so well. As the bumper sticker on my brother's race car says - Workers Rule!

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2136163 - 08/20/13 05:30 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you BenPiano, CMohr, ATallGuyNH, peterws, stumbler, Mr Super-Hunky, Allard, Andy Platt, CarlosCC, and Riddler for commenting.

I like the way it launches into the familiar chorus, too, Ed. It always brings out the singers smile

peterws - what does "barn dance" mean to you? I know it's a phrase that used in more than one way. I think of it as a shottish, but it's also applied to a whole evening of dance (in a barn) with traditional music.

Cathy

Edited by jotur (08/20/13 05:31 PM)
Edit Reason: In a BARN, not a bar :D

#2136172 - 08/20/13 05:48 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Cathy, a Barn-Dance is a traditional old time dance popular with parties. Everybody could do it, you sometimes changed partners ("progressive") and it helped if the beer had flowed somewhat prior to announcing. A bit like Line Dancing, maybe. Typical Barn Dances were "Heart of my Heart", "On Mother Kelly`s Doorstep" . . .This is old, old stuff. But anything in that that 2 - rhythm was acceptable. It was not referring to a place, though years before, this may have been typical.

It was fun to play. If you`d had a few drinks that is . .

Edited by peterws (08/20/13 05:50 PM)

""

#2136182 - 08/20/13 06:02 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks for your experience, peter. I remember doing a "barn dance" at a poliitical fund raiser in Minnesota, and the one we did was a little 2-couple patterned shottish. And on the Irish music forums they have a hornpipe/shottish feel. The contra dancers are holding a barn dance out at the bluegrass/old-time festival in a couple of weeks, and it'll include all kinds of simple all-comer dances, from "snake/follow-the-leader" to "grand marches" to Virginia Reels. It's fun to see how they vary.

Cathy

#2136186 - 08/20/13 06:14 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Sorry to be so far behind the curve, everyone. I've finally returned from a weeklong business trip and can start listening to all the great music in this recital. It could take me a while but I hope to listen and comment on all.

Might as well be traditional and start at the beginning....

1. Andy Platt Really like the distinct articulations and clear separation of the voices. Listened three times and I'm still finding little subtleties that escaped me the first time. Very nice, and sounded effortless.

2. Diana (sinophilia) I liked the nice swinging feel you gave to this jazzy tune. Never heard of John Kember before, but will look for him from now on. Your DP sounds great!

3. Greener Jeff, your classical chops are really building fast. This sounds like one of the more difficult Chopin waltzes, and you seem to have pulled it off without straining at all. You definitely got the dance feel to come across and I love the sound of your piano.

4. dannylux/Mel - I read some of the comments on this piece while I was on the road and couldn't wait until I got home to give it a listen. What a magnificent melody, and you play it with great sensitivity. And oh, those big chords...soooo beautiful...I really like this piece and will talk to my teacher about putting it on my list of to do's. Your decrescendo on the ending sixths and fifths sounded just right and left me, mouth agape, thinking ah, boy, how nice was that?

Well, thats a start I guess...more to come.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2136253 - 08/20/13 09:10 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Now for some odd, er, odd-numbered ones:

29. (Was) True Beginner – Childhood Memories – Nice piece. I had a rowdier childhood laugh This was very pretty and kind of nostalgic.

31. yester – Little Prelude No. 1 – Delightful! I wasn’t introduced to these in my short time as a piano student, and it’s nice to hear them here.

33. CMohr – You’ve Changed – It’s so nice to have your styling back in the recital smile This was terrific – very atmospheric – meeting an old girl/boyfriend in a bar, catching up. Play it again, you know.

35. TrapperJohn – Drink/Do You Hear – Wonderful. I love the tour thru the sewers of Paris on which you have been taking us! You obviously love this music, and it comes thru in your playing.

37. Monica K. – Discovery at Night – I love that bass – and it seems you play it with authority that I hadn’t noticed previously. Great dynamic contrasts.

39. Sandy – Consolation – Beautifully played.

41. MrPozor – Waltz in B Minor – very nice. You did a great job with the waltz feel and accents.

45. Sand Tiger – Avenue D – Like others I had a picture in my head from the title – something from Manhattan Transfer, maybe. But the first image I got was of old-fashioned street lights. Nice use of the repeating theme.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White – Dainas No. 3 – This sounded complex to me, and you put it together well. This might be little night club you enter from below street level after walking down Avenue D.

51. Lady Augustina – The North Sea – I like the way this moves, and you were very expressive.

53. carlos88 – Bruyeres – I admire people who can play Debussy, and you did a beautiful job here.

55. BenPiano – Nefeli – Lovely. You have just the right touch, and phrasing. And you sustained interest all the way thru. Well done.

More tomorrow - I have a little more practising to do for myself this evening. But there's some great pieces in this recital.

Cathy

#2136326 - 08/20/13 11:54 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545
This is one of those pieces, particularly the 1st movement as you noted, that is not unlike Fur Elise in that everyone knows it, which of course makes every single minor slip, hesitation, or whatever extremely obvious. There is just nowhere to hide with this, which is why anyone who takes on K545, BWV846, Fur Elise, or the like, and is willing to post it has my deep admiration for having the guts to do so.

That said, it was thoroughly enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed the second and third movements. Maybe this was because I was less familiar with them? I don't know, but great job all around.

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night
I love the sound of your M&H. This piece almost sounds like a duet, you've done a great job of managing the different voices between the left and right hand, at times almost growling in the left, and nicely delicate in the right.

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor
Thanks for explaining the three vs. two switching each measure... it makes for a very interesting sound. I barely know what that means, let alone actually pulling it off, so kudos to you on this effort.

39. Sandy - Consolation
This sounds like a very pretty piece, nicely done. Regarding techncial feedback -- I think I detected some over-pedaling (a struggle with which I am quite well acquainted), so this might be an area to focus on in the future.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1
Nice analysis of Satie's place in relation to his contemporaries. I listened, went back to hear Glen's, and then listened again... not to pick a favorite, but just to hear how you each approached this piece. On your interpretation I had more of a sense of the concept of free time, and of those unusual instructions. As a result, this wound up sounding a bit more dis-jointed to me, but I think that is probably what Satie intended. I really liked both, each in their own way.

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor
This made me want to grab my wife (no, not like that) and take a turn around the living room, despite it being a long time since learning to waltz. I'm in the bedroom listening to you and she's in the living room watching "Teen Wolf" (MTV show) though, oh well. smile

Great job making a waltz actually sound like a waltz!

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version)
Fantastic. Nothing more I can say.

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4
This was a nice listen. Especially when considering the instrument that you are working with, I thought the dynamics were pretty good. I'm sure you'll find it easier to get more control if you are able to upgrade at some point. Ditto for balance between the melody vs. the rest of fhe right hand, it's a heck of a lot easier on my acoustic than on the digital that I sometimes borrow.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel)
Nature sounds in the background? Sounded much more like the foreground, the piano was almost drowned out... I haven't read others' comments very much, so I'm assuming others may have said similar -- apologies if I'm beating a dead horse by mentioning that aspect. I really would love to hear a mix where the birds and water are truly in the background and the piano & other instruments are the dominant voices.

When I went back and listened again, focusing on the piano, I really liked what I heard -- particular the beginning and end.

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D
This is the 2nd of the two pieces that I was looking forward to for quite some time... I think even before it had a name? At any rate, I really love that main theme at the beginning that is then repeated. The piece has a really uplifting feel overall that I quite liked.

I concur with BenPiano's comment about pedal. The net impact of not using the pedal is that the musicality is lost in a lot of spots where it's clear that you want a continuous phrase but it just can't be done without the pedal. Not sure if this is because you don't have the pedal or just haven't gotten comfortable with it yet? Either way, it will open up a whole new world if you can invest in that area of learning.

46. joangolfing - Little Bird
Sounded a like a little bird to me. Perfect!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2136420 - 08/21/13 05:41 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 - This is a remarkable and beautiful set of pieces. I understand your "apprehension" in playing Chopin's pieces just because I suspect that's very hard to play Chopin like we "like" to hear it. But, you did it justice! The second movement is a charm; it has a professional sound for me. Thanks for sharing. Bravo!

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night - Ah, Einaudi! I was waiting for this piece. Monica, I feel obliged to make a more complete appreciation of this piece. It's one of my favorite pieces from the last album and I'll learn to play it very soon. I think you managed to get the beauty of this piece. The variations and timings are well done and I know it's not easy to get the right sounds of the piece, mostly in the tricky parts and in some phrases. But, you did it!. So, thank you. I Love it!
PS: I've one question: do you play what is written in the sheet, or you changed something?

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor - Jim, lovely piece. I'm not familiar with Scriabin work but I think you get the "dramatic" sense of this. Nice job!

39. Sandy - Consolation - Nice job Sandy - the sound is not good but that's not important for now -. This is your first recital here, right? Welcome.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 - Very nicely played, Jake. For someone who has only played for 1.5 years, truly remarkable. I can imagine how difficult is to adequately perform this piece. Someday, I'll give it a try... - I promise I will not give it a "touch" of Einaudi smile -

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2136437 - 08/21/13 07:00 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor - I think you should be happy with this, why not? I missed the 1st EPP, and now I'm even more sorry for not having gone... Good job!

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) - When I recorded this piece I said to my wife: "this is the first decent piece I have...". I really feel engaged by it. Ok, I know there were other pieces that made me feel the same, but this one is above all others. Maybe because I have dedicated it a different type of work and many hours of study (and a lot of headaches!). But in the end, I can say I learned more from this piece than the others. And that's good. Thanks for listening.

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 - Ah, I could listen and comment this piece before the others smile . I told Valencia that he did a good job in this (not so easy!) piece.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) - You seem to have a strong connection with this piece... I would have lowered the volume of the background because it's "masking" your good arrangement. I like it!

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D - This piece has some interesting phrases. I know It's hard to decide the "best phrases" from our own compositions - I've been there.... -. but I think you did the right choices. Good job.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2136471 - 08/21/13 08:38 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
33. CMohr - "You've Changed"

Well done, I didn't just enjoy listening to this, I became totally obsessed with it, specifically with the intro. Almost went out of my mind! There are a couple of short phrases in your intro that I know I have heard before, very long ago, and I just couldn't rest till I figured out where I had heard them. I spent some time searching, wracking my brain. To make a long story short, here is the answer to my quest: It turns out the the phrases I remember were played in a recording of a tune called Line for Lyons, by Gerry Mulligan and Paul Desmond, back in the 1960s. Have a listen:

CMohr, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond

Am I insane, or what? Wish I could remember something useful!

Anyway, good work on this.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2136475 - 08/21/13 08:46 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

5. MaryBee Somewhere in the definition of advanced pianist it should say "can play Bach 3-part inventions" and you are definitely there. I loved the downshift to the more relaxed tempo of the beautiful second piece. And the third one sounded so difficult. Wonderful balance between the hands and beautiful shaping of each voice. Very impressive performance.

6. Wouter79 This piece was new to me. You did a great job keeping up the continuous arpeggios, something I find extremely difficult. And I liked all the dynamic contrasts. Seems like a hard piece for just four years of playing, and you pulled it off nicely. The grotrian sounds terrific as always.

7. Lyricmudra I love all of Chopin's Nocturnes, but particularly this one for its moody dreamlike feel. You seem so nicely relaxed in the video, and your pacing fits the music perfectly. One thing I really liked was empty space, or room you gave it to sink in, at several points. That was very effective and dramatic. Wonderful performance.

Got to practice now....

Estonia L190 #7284

#2136478 - 08/21/13 08:52 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Back from my road trip - time for more comments...

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) Very cool. Loved the sound of the piano in that large space. It must have been great fun - did you imagine all the seats filled with fans? And I love the harmonies on this piece.

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major Yes, I know how difficult this is. You sound so professional - the melody is clear and distinct and shaped so well, and the accompaniment is quiet and unobtrusive (except when it needs to be). Excellent job.

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval Welcome to the piano lounge! Very groovy and laid-back jazzy.

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren Welcome to the ABF Quarterly Recitals - I hope this is the first of many for you! This is a fantastic job for only 6 months back at the piano.

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 This is a wonderful beginning to your ABF recital adventure. Excellent job for only a few months back at the piano.

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June I am seriously impressed with your playing on this difficult piece. It's one of those pieces I've always wanted to play - too many pieces, too little time. Excellent playing for only a year back at the piano.

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon Loved this Cathy - so jaunty and sassy!

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor Nice touch - That can be the hardest part about this piece, especially the different touch in each hand. Well done.

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories It does evoke memories of childhood for me - simple melodies and very innocent sounding, yet bittersweet at the same time. Very successful!

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing I love these up-tempo, joyful arrangements. Sounds very similar to David Nevue's arrangements. Very nicely done - I know your mom is proud.

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 Nice variety of touch - Short and to the point, too - I loved it!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Nicely done - I don't know much game music, but this is excellent. Nice piano too - loved the video!

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" Very moody - nice arrangement too. I loved the feel of it, and the ending was very well done.

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 Very intriguing piece, and well played. Not what I expect when I see South American music, which seems to have a lot of dance rhythms. This one does, a little, but it's not overpowering. Very well done.

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) I can tell you really love this music Trapper - it comes through in your playing. Excellent rendition. And nice transitions too.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 I tried playing this once, in a former lifetime over 35 years ago. I lacked the patience then (and probably still do now). To this day I hate Alberti basses. You're right that you are very exposed, but in your case that's a good thing. Excellent playing. Very smooth and clear.

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night Monica, I tried playing some Einaudi, and I have more respect for what you can do with the music now. It's not my thing, but I can see the attraction. Excellent job - and your piano sounds great!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor This is more approachable than a lot of Scriabin I have heard. Maybe because it is such an early piece. Loved your playing - everything was very clear and the dynamics were excellent.

39. Sandy - Consolation Hey, I played this one! Very nice job. Your old piano definitely adds character.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 Not another Satie piece! Just kidding - he's not one of my favorites. But you made it interesting - loved the short, quick notes.

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor Very sensitively done - loved the video.

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) I can tell you love this Carlos, it comes through in your playing. I'm sure it's very satisfying for you, even if it is a lot of hard work to get this polished. Loved it!

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 Nice rubato, and the dynamics were great too. A very interesting piece - well done.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) OK, that's got to be one of the most interesting canons I have ever heard. And your playing was great too!

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D Very interesting - it sounds very improvisational.

46. joangolfing - Little Bird Piano sounds great! Loved the piece too - very evocative. It's easy to hear the "bird".

More to come!

Sam

#2136487 - 08/21/13 09:17 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
46.Joangolfing- Sweet little piece.I love how it jumps around...like a bird. Well done.

40. JakeS- Wow, you have only been playing less than two years? You play this very well and really caught the feel for the work. I'm very impressed.

38. JimF- Another "Wow". Just so nicely played. You give it an even dreamier quality than it already had.

37. Monica-Nicely played Monica. You always have such a great feeling for these pieces. Frankly.. it's hard to imagine this one being played any better..

#2136513 - 08/21/13 10:16 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
PS: I've one question: do you play what is written in the sheet, or you changed something?

Well, I *tried* to play it as written on the sheet. laugh As is the case with many of his other pieces, the transcription was not identical to how he plays it on the album or the Live From Home version. I'm not very good at picking things out by ear, and I didn't have time to do so for this piece.

#2136518 - 08/21/13 10:21 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

46. joangolfing - Little Bird - I can listen this "Little Bird" smile and your Yamaha Grand has a beautiful sound. This piece was new for me, and I liked the confidence you have put on the phrases. Nice job!

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door - Wow, what an intro, arrangement and ability! This is really nice. As me, you're in the "self-learning" side, so I've special attention with members from this "side". Congratulations, this work is just great!

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G - Beautiful, expressive playing. Nice to know that your dream came true. Congratulations!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 - Pretty piece, and you played it very well. I didn't found any fingering trouble. Good job!

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 - This is a very solemn piece of Mendelssohn and you did it justice. Nice job!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2136520 - 08/21/13 10:27 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Well, I *tried* to play it as written on the sheet. laugh As is the case with many of his other pieces, the transcription was not identical to how he plays it on the album or the Live From Home version. I'm not very good at picking things out by ear, and I didn't have time to do so for this piece.

Monica, I'm already thinking about my next piece - hard phase!!!! - so I'll keep your "Discovery at Night" as reference. As I told, I think you did a great job! thumb
Thanks.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2136724 - 08/21/13 05:16 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1 Oh my, Doris you are doing so many things I liked it is hard to know where to begin. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful rubato in the first minute, and then the very precise pedaling....it would have been so easy to muddy things up but your waves of dreamy notes have none of that. Dynamics seem perfect and your arpeggios even and in full control. Did I mention those beautiful descending dreamlike figures? A wonderful piece, wonderfully played.

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 Another beautiful Chopin Nocturne, and one that looks to be among the most difficult. You're to be commended for taking it on, Sam. Those ornaments were hard to just read...can't imagine trying to play them, much less play with the grace and evenness that you pulled off. You did a great job with all those tricky rhythmic bits too. The last time I listened to your playing was I think your first Summerkeys pieces. You have really grown as a pianist in the last year or so. Well done.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - First Loss Cheryl, I too always find Schumann both tricky and harder than he looks on paper. I liked your clear articulation of the melody and use of dynamics to bring out the sadness in this piece. Particularly liked the soft touch on the series of chords at the end before the repeat. And then the dynamic changes the second time through worked well to maintain interest. A nice performance all around.

11. Inlanding - Glen - Gnossienne No 1 Glen, I was looking forward to this one, since I usually expect to hear your great jazz and improv numbers. Boy, you sure didn't disappoint me. Just loved the controled evenness of your performance and the shaping of the phrases, which had a sort of mysterious, almost forboding quality, to my ear. Your gorgeous Steinway tolling away with those deep deep bass tones sounded terrific. A very memorable Satie that I thoroughly enjoyed.

all I have time for today..more tomorrow.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2136742 - 08/21/13 05:51 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Thank you Sam and Cathy for your kind comments.

#2136846 - 08/21/13 10:39 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I only meant to do a few more today but you all sucked me in. I really enjoyed listening to them all. What an excellent recital!

12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four- A Journey to the Far Side of the World I want to see “Message from Space: The Movie” – ASAP. Gorgeous storytelling(at least with the story in my mind!) (BTW - I love your use of color in your paintings, too)

13. Riddler (Ed) - Prelude in D Flat Major Love it! It sounds like someone is discovering wonderful for the first time.

14. Allard - Dreamer's Waltz This one’s got a wonderful introspective feel to it – I wish I could have heard this one live at EPP. Isn’t it funny how the pieces you initially think “No way I can do this!” are the ones you become to own?

15. peterws - Contemplation 5 That was a lot of fun - and then I saw that there was video too! That came together nicely!

16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth I know I’ve never heard it, but it sounds like I’ve heard it somewhere(I even Googled to see if it was in a movie or something). Spooky. It really is pretty. Thank you for sharing it with us! It does sound like it would be emotionally exhausting to play, but in a good way.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em Lucky Em gets a killer composition!

18. Mr Super- Hunky - Rain (Cover) Very pretty! I envy your ability to find your music on the piano. I have to have instruction manuals!

19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116) Great work on a classic! You inject a lot of musicality into it – so many leave it out when they learn it (I know I did!).

20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan) Wow! You capture another time with this piece. It sounds like you’ve got an orchestra backing you, with fireworks. So many voices, and so well put together! Another one I wish I could have seen live at EPP!

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) While the recording quality wasn’t the greatest, I could still hear and feel your feeling of playing a great piano – that passion was loud and clear. Great arrangement, too. I’m glad you got to do it, and play one of your favorites! That’s a feeling that can’t be beat.

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major One of my favorite Schubert pieces, and it sounded professional to me – awesome!

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval I love that song – I wish they’d play it at Mardi Gras here. Very relaxing feel to it! Thanks for picking a great piece to sneak in!

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren I’ve never heard that arrangement before. Very unique! It sounds nice on that piano of yours too.

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Congrats on your first recital! What a great first submission – 6 months?!? Wow. I want some of your talent, please. Just a tiny bit. Ok? Ok.

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June That’s that piece I always think I want to look at next and then I put it down and run away. (Yeah, and I think a Ritcher recording always influences the first impulse too.) Fantastic for a first take! I actually detected a certain Russian-ness to it I never really noticed before, so that was great too.

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon I’m dancing around in my chair right now. I need to come hang out with the seniors because this is a blast. Very saucy!

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor Work is annoying – it always interferes with music (too bad I need to work to pay for lessons, food, electricity, mortgage and my Amazon addiction or I’d be outta there hehehe). That being said, maybe I should practice less, because that sounded very clean. I hope you find your motivation soon!

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories That sounds like it should be the background image to a bunch of old photographs – and actually, when you think of it that way, the audio quality can be considered an artistic decision smile Lovely, sentimental composition.

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing A gorgeous hymn! I’m glad you get to share it with your mother.

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 Your voicing is impressive – and I love how it builds and recedes!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Video game music is the greatest! I wasn’t expecting to hear a jazzy one at all. Well done! Very expressive.

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" Thanks for digging that one back out – it was nice to listen to! I like that you simplified it too – I like the essence of things.

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 That sounds really, really hard. It took me a bit to wrap my head around it. I liked it, though, because it sounds like you performed it very, very well. I’ve seen the name, but never heard the music. Thanks for the introduction.

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) Having been one of 4 people in the world that has never read the book/seen the movie/ saw the musical, the drinker in me had other expectations. This is really beautiful – and now I have the book on my wishlist (my rule to me - read the book first!) Your medley is well put together and a moving listen.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 How did you manage to make it sound so delicate without being syrupy? That’s fantastic.

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night I’m glad you played that one, Monica. The bass in that piece really digs into you, in a wonderful way. Your dynamics were fantastic – I can’t imagine it played any other way.

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor What a great piece – it’s, sad, but then it’s not. Very tenderly played.

39. Sandy - Consolation That’s a powerful little piece! Good job.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 I like this one too! It’s awesome that multiple versions of a piece can sound so right. Lots of emotional pulls and tugs here!

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor This is so charming! I wanted to hop in and waltz, too. Thanks for the find!

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) Not knowing the original, I can’t tell you if I like this better or not, but that being said – I really enjoyed listening to it, and if you weren’t following the original, your additions blended in seamlessly. Trying to incorporate Einaudi’s live performance enhancements must have been difficult, too! But I guess that’s why you get to compete in your company’s competition – you’re very talented.

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 What a great find – you told the story well. I like how a sad story was actually very comforting. Well done!

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) Nice arrangement – sounds like you had fun putting together the sound effects, too. (Although initially I thought the stream was bathwater hehehehe!) I do like that arrangement a lot - it’s much happier than most.

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D Not only did I enjoy your compostion(kudos – I am jealous of creative people!) I like your habit of improvising after your piano practice.. that’s a great way to really get to know the instrument.

And thanks to everyone who put this all together!

#2136853 - 08/21/13 10:58 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
And thank you so much, Allard, Andy, Monica, CMohr, dynamobt, SAnnM, SwissMS, MsNewModerator Casinitaly(congrats, girl!), Ben, Peyton, Jotour, anyone I might have missed, and everyone who listened. I am flattered, and now my head is rather swollen.

I must say, Cathy – there was no gaily skipping through meadows – I looked like a deer in headlights, repeating the mantra “Don’t-screw-up don’t-screw-up” inside my head! grin

#2136910 - 08/22/13 02:39 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Okay, here I am finally! I've decided to group performances by composer - starting off with the two most popular ones.

BACH
01. Andy Platt - Invention in E Major Isn't it terribly hard to maintain the control of each part and make it all sound nice and smooth? You definitely succeeded.
05. MaryBee - Three Sinfonias I absolutely loved these, especially the first one, with that strong driving pulse. They are so different from one another, there's a bit of everything.
19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116) A very good job, as usual, and at a fast tempo too. Congratulations!
31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 This is on my to-do list (yeah, in 1 year time, after countless minuets!) and ouch, it doesn't sound easy at all. Well done!

CHOPIN
03. Greener | Jeff Green - Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2 How very peculiar! Doesn't this have some kind of gipsy flavor to it? And the speed is breathtaking!
07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2 Lovely, with great dynamics and expression! Gave me goosebumps.
09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 Definitely dramatic! I'm loving Chopin more and more, also thanks to you guys.
25. Dumik - Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Wow, isn't this grade 6 or 7? Please tell me you spent all of your six months at the piano learning this! I would certainly need all that time just to learn the notes. Your dynamics could be smoother but this is an astonishing result.

And thanks again to those who liked my little song - John Kember's music is really interesting, he has a few beginner/intermediate arrangement books out, I will have to have a look.

#2136922 - 08/22/13 03:42 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: sinophilia]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Okay, here I am finally! I've decided to group performances by composer - starting off with the two most popular ones.

Whoa whoa whoa... hold on there missy... wink

Popular how? I feel like I'm kinda getting the shaft here. I mean, Billy Joel has ~150 million in album/single/video sales over the past 40 years, which works out to roughly 3.5 million as an annual average. Given that the entire classical CD market is less than 10 million units annually, most of which is the likes of Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, etc., there's no way Bach or Chopin account for as much as 3.5 million per year. Right?

And let's not go sticking Einaudi up near the top either. He barely squeaks into the Top 40 of the rather esoteric Music > Classical > Chamber Music > By Period category on Amazon! whistle

So, I say Billy should be recognized as the most popular.

whome

All in good fun of course... I'm pulling an all nighter and engaging in some world-class procrastination simultaneously. Stupid, I know.

XXIX-XXXII

#2136928 - 08/22/13 04:05 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: aTallGuyNH]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
McCartney`d beat him . . .

""

#2136931 - 08/22/13 04:13 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: aTallGuyNH]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

Whoa whoa whoa... hold on there missy... wink

Popular how? I feel like I'm kinda getting the shaft here. I mean, Billy Joel has ~150 million in album/single/video sales over the past 40 years, which works out to roughly 3.5 million as an annual average. Given that the entire classical CD market is less than 10 million units annually, most of which is the likes of Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, etc., there's no way Bach or Chopin account for as much as 3.5 million per year. Right?

And let's not go sticking Einaudi up near the top either. He barely squeaks into the Top 40 of the rather esoteric Music > Classical > Chamber Music > By Period category on Amazon! whistle

So, I say Billy should be recognized as the most popular.
whome

All in good fun of course... I'm pulling an all nighter and engaging in some world-class procrastination simultaneously. Stupid, I know.

Ok, I don't want to contribute to a never ending discussion, but you both are right smile
I think sinophilia was mention about popularity in ABF Recitals. Checking ABF Recital statistics, we can see how many pieces were played of each composer:

Top 25 Composers
150 : Chopin
121 : Bach
67 : Einaudi
58 : Beethoven
39 : Schumann
(...)

So, if sinophilia follows the logic behind this, next will be Einaudi, right? smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2136932 - 08/22/13 04:14 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: peterws]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
McCartney`d beat him . . .

Good point! Anne H should go to the head of the queue then!

XXIX-XXXII

#2136935 - 08/22/13 04:16 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok, I don't want to contribute to a never ending discussion, but you both are right smile

Yes, of course! Just having a little fun.

I was assuming that sinophilia was going based on number of entries to this particular recital, so that's why I took the potshot at Einaudi, figuring that he'd be next on her list. smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2136937 - 08/22/13 04:32 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Yes of course I meant the number of entries in this recital wink
I think the next one is Mendelssohn with 3 entries!

Actually the most popular category is "Original piece" with 7 entries!

Edited by sinophilia (08/22/13 04:33 AM)

#2136940 - 08/22/13 04:39 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: sinophilia]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Einaudi has also 3 entries... wink

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2136945 - 08/22/13 04:53 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Einaudi has also 3 entries... wink

Not to mention that he is alive enough to enjoy the glory of going ahead of Mendelssohn, who really won't be bothered one way or another by where he falls on the list.

XXIX-XXXII

#2136950 - 08/22/13 05:09 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Okay okay, I will listen to the 3 Einaudi's first grin

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are pianos sometimes voiced or tuned differently for jazz?
by Jake Jackson
10 minutes 52 seconds ago
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
Today at 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
Today at 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
Today at 02:40 PM
Broken Wrist
by sonataplayer
Today at 02:26 PM
Who's Online
153 registered (A Guy, accordeur, ajames, 40 invisible), 1598 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158423 Topics
2326513 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission