Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2136951 - 08/22/13 05:11 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm going to wind up dead last? wink

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2136952 - 08/22/13 05:13 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: sinophilia]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

double-post... oopsies!

Edited by aTallGuyNH (08/22/13 05:14 AM)
Edit Reason: double-post

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2136958 - 08/22/13 05:44 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: aTallGuyNH]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm going to wind up dead last? wink

You should have suggested to sinophilia to start commenting pieces by participant name, ordered by name... laugh

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2136962 - 08/22/13 05:56 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
There you are!

** SPECIAL REVIEW BY REQUEST **
21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) I like Billy Joel (and of course he's VERY popular!!). Nice jazzy piece and you play with plenty of feeling. Waiting for the whole song!

EINAUDI
I'm not really a fan of this new-agish melody-over-arpeggios music… but did I have a choice? grin
37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night Well, what can I say, you play so well! I didn't fall asleep in spite of the music wink Also, your piano sounds great.
42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) Not too hypnotic either! The second part is quite catchy, I enjoyed it a lot.
55. BenPiano - Nefeli Not too far away from the previous one, isn't it? grin
+ LANZ
14. Allard - Dreamer's Waltz Okay I could never distinguish a song from the other by now, plus you all play everything perfectly to my ears. Luckily your pianos sound all different wink

#2136971 - 08/22/13 06:48 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AimeeO]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: AimeeO

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) Having been one of 4 people in the world that has never read the book/seen the movie/ saw the musical, the drinker in me had other expectations. This is really beautiful – and now I have the book on my wishlist (my rule to me - read the book first!) Your medley is well put together and a moving listen.

Thanks Aimee - but, what were those other expectations you had as a drinker?

And a word of warning about the book: one of the great masterpieces of historical fiction it's really "heavy", literally and figuratively - while there is a great story in there it does contain extended passages on historical events, social conditions and psychological states, which some prudent readers skip over or skim thru - and if you carry it too much for too long it could give you a hernia since it "weighs in" at almost 1,500 pages in it's unedited paperback edition.

Whatever else you may do please see the live stage production - you will treasure the experience for life.

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2136976 - 08/22/13 07:06 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
For those of you who would like to hear the vocal versions of "Do You Hear the People Sing?" from "Les Mis":

Here is it's 1st appearance in the musical:

And here is it's reprise as the grand finale (with altered lyrics):

These are both from the 10th Anniversary Concert Edition staged in London in 1995.

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2136977 - 08/22/13 07:10 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Not to mention that he is alive enough to enjoy the glory of going ahead of Mendelssohn, who really won't be bothered one way or another by where he falls on the list.

Ah, but the fans may be bothered!
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
+ LANZ

Now I am definitely bothered :p

#2136981 - 08/22/13 07:25 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Okay, here I am finally! I've decided to group performances by composer - starting off with the two most popular ones.

Whoa whoa whoa... hold on there missy... wink

Popular how? I feel like I'm kinda getting the shaft here. I mean, Billy Joel has ~150 million in album/single/video sales over the past 40 years, which works out to roughly 3.5 million as an annual average. Given that the entire classical CD market is less than 10 million units annually, most of which is the likes of Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, etc., there's no way Bach or Chopin account for as much as 3.5 million per year. Right?

And let's not go sticking Einaudi up near the top either. He barely squeaks into the Top 40 of the rather esoteric Music > Classical > Chamber Music > By Period category on Amazon! whistle

So, I say Billy should be recognized as the most popular.
whome

All in good fun of course... I'm pulling an all nighter and engaging in some world-class procrastination simultaneously. Stupid, I know.

Ok, I don't want to contribute to a never ending discussion, but you both are right smile
I think sinophilia was mention about popularity in ABF Recitals. Checking ABF Recital statistics, we can see how many pieces were played of each composer:

Top 25 Composers
150 : Chopin
121 : Bach
67 : Einaudi
58 : Beethoven
39 : Schumann
(...)

So, if sinophilia follows the logic behind this, next will be Einaudi, right? smile

You know, I really need to recalculate that list of popular composers - I had to do it "by hand" since we are so variable in how we report composer names. Who knows, things may have changed - Einaudi may have moved up in the list...

Sam

#2136998 - 08/22/13 07:51 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Allard]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: Allard

+ LANZ

Now I am definitely bothered :p

grin

I'm making enemies here!

(seriously, forgive my untrained ear)

#2137001 - 08/22/13 07:54 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Okay, here I am finally! I've decided to group performances by composer - starting off with the two most popular ones.

Whoa whoa whoa... hold on there missy... wink

Popular how? I feel like I'm kinda getting the shaft here. I mean, Billy Joel has ~150 million in album/single/video sales over the past 40 years, which works out to roughly 3.5 million as an annual average. Given that the entire classical CD market is less than 10 million units annually, most of which is the likes of Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, etc., there's no way Bach or Chopin account for as much as 3.5 million per year. Right?

And let's not go sticking Einaudi up near the top either. He barely squeaks into the Top 40 of the rather esoteric Music > Classical > Chamber Music > By Period category on Amazon! whistle

So, I say Billy should be recognized as the most popular.
whome

All in good fun of course... I'm pulling an all nighter and engaging in some world-class procrastination simultaneously. Stupid, I know.

Ok, I don't want to contribute to a never ending discussion, but you both are right smile
I think sinophilia was mention about popularity in ABF Recitals. Checking ABF Recital statistics, we can see how many pieces were played of each composer:

Top 25 Composers
(...)

So, if sinophilia follows the logic behind this, next will be Einaudi, right? smile

You know, I really need to recalculate that list of popular composers - I had to do it "by hand" since we are so variable in how we report composer names. Who knows, things may have changed - Einaudi may have moved up in the list...

Sam

A quick check shows that the Bach number should be about 10 higher if we count the transcriptions. But that doesn't change the order. Chopin is still first, then Bach, then Einaudi...

Sam

#2137021 - 08/22/13 08:36 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Another excellent recital is in the archives. It's just amazing that so many people of such diverse backgrounds and widely separated locations can come together every four months and share a love of piano music. I hope it continues for a long time...

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door Wow, you do those jazzy runs so well! I'm jealous.

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G Very nice and well done. It is very beautiful, a real tribute to Bach's power as a composer that such an arrangement can sound so good. But I still like the original cantata movement better. I'm struggling now to learn the Myra Hess arrangement of this, which is quite a different piece of music.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 Mike, I had to look up this Latvian composer - interesting work! Thanks for sharing.

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 Very nice - is this from the Variations sérieuses? I'm not familiar with it at all.

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea Nice job memorizing! Sometimes it just happens as we play a piece more and more. I'm even more impressed that you can record something on a 15 minute break. It takes me 15 minutes just to get ready to record...

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) Unmistakably Joplin - so you conveyed the style very well - great job!

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) Two Debussy pieces in one recital - that's great. I have got to learn some of his music. Excellent performance - great dynamics - loved the light touch that you brought to some of the passages.

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 I think I would need some Kahlua after trying to play this. I have a lot of difficulty with transparent pieces like this. But you did a great job. I also hate playing those Alberti basses...

55. BenPiano - Nefeli The video makes me dizzy - not like the music, which is great. I'm not an Einaudi fan, and I've lost track of how many times I have heard Nefeli. So I've gotten to be very knowledgeable about it even if it's not my favorite type of music. So I know a good performance when I hear it, and this was great! Loved the sudden silence.

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major Really good Mark. Loved the light touch, and you were very consistent. Great job.

That's all,

Sam

#2137025 - 08/22/13 08:47 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(...)Checking ABF Recital statistics, we can see how many pieces were played of each composer:

Top 25 Composers
(...)

Originally Posted By: Sam S

A quick check shows that the Bach number should be about 10 higher if we count the transcriptions. But that doesn't change the order. Chopin is still first, then Bach, then Einaudi...
Sam

Looking carefully to the numbers I noticed that my 9 contributions for Einauid's counter were decisive to maintain his 3rd place... But, Beethoven is on the way!
Just a curiosity grin

PS: I do not want to despise all other pianists who play Einaudi. I'm just kidding, of course.thumb

Edited by CarlosCC (08/22/13 09:01 AM)
Edit Reason: Add PS

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2137032 - 08/22/13 09:02 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
12. Peyton Some of us try to play the piano, and some of us are truly artists. Its no surprise which group you are in. As usual I'm blown away by your original performance. In your paintings I love the juxtaposition of geometric shapes with dreamy scenes on top. I kept thinking of your left hand at the keyboard as the geometric, technological component, underlying the lifegiving melodic right.

13. Riddler Ed, the Gliere may be played by lots of kids on YouTube, but I doubt they match your mature interpretation. I thought your performance was perfect.

Past time for practice.....

Estonia L190 #7284

#2137050 - 08/22/13 09:39 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS
12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four - A Journey to the Far Side of the World I really liked part three, and this one doesn't disappoint. Your compositions always stand out for originality and inventiveness.
15. peterws - Contemplation 5 Looks like you had fun with sound effects! You're very good at playing seagulls wink
17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em Another great lesson in jazz for my eager-to-learn brain and ears!
20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan) Loved the over the top energy, and the hints at the creepy Swan Lake theme. Made me think of tin soldiers and dolls dancing frantically when nobody is looking. What an addition to the ABF recital!
29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories Sweet and nostalgic, with something of Italian folksongs. Lovely!
45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D It must be great to be able to improvise like that. I can't even imagine where to start. Congratulations on your progress as pianist/composer!
48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G Uplifting indeed! And very atmospheric, could listen to this for ages. Great job (and great sounding piano)!

#2137120 - 08/22/13 12:05 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor
Beautifully played, Jim. You have such excellent touch, and you have successfully navigated some pretty tricky rythms. The melody stands out nicely, throughout. Very well done!

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1
Very intriguing piece, haunting. I liked Glen's version and yours also. Well executed, excellent piano sound.

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor
Very Schubertian! Excellent playing for only a year of experience. That left hand motion is difficult to perfect, you are doing very well.

46. joangolfing - Little Bird
Sounds like a difficult piece, lots of movement up and down the keyboard, and fast trills. You played it very well.

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door
Impressive left hand work. And right hand work! Great arpeggios. I enjoyed it.

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2137202 - 08/22/13 01:50 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
My thanks to those who commented---Andy Platt, peterws, Allard, jotur, earlofmar, Mr Super-Hunky, CarlosCC(I appreciate the translation), Sam S, AimeeO. It's the comments that gives one the sense that someone is listening---and even better knowing that they too are pianists.

This batch covers everything in the 3 minute range.

44. ladypayne, Canon (Pachelbel)
You've done some interesting things with this standard, nice job.

48. Mile Hi Steve, Joy in G
Well played. This arrangement is very serene.

7. lyricmudra, Nocturne in F-Sharp Major
There are some pieces that I don't find out how above my head they are until I try to play them. There are others like this one where a quick look at the score scares me off. You play it with an effortless ease and lightness.

40. Jake S, Gnossienne No. 1
This is a lovely introspective piece. Your playing brings out the sense of timelessness I always feel from this piece.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) , For Em
Great piece! Is Em short for Emily, or the key?

18. Mr Super- Hunky , Rain (Cover)
I'm impressed with your FOAM method. Well played.

15. peterws, Contemplation 5
You have too much fun, but you are generous enough to let us share in it.

11. Inlanding - Glen, Gnossienne No 1
Beautiful tone, a haunting feel. Two performances of the same piece, but you each brought something different to it.

29. (Was) TrueBeginner, Childhood Memories
I get a feel of looking back with with nostalgia. Congratulations on your composition.

3. Greener | Jeff Green, Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2
This waltz is one of my favourites. Sounds like you are making great progress. My only comment is that you play drier than I am used to, but that does bring a lightness to it.

32. Allan W., Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger
This is a really nice piece, brimming with emotion. Well played.

54. AimeeO, Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1
I'm impressed. I might have tried to sneak by with a single movement to lessen the risk posed by the curse of the red dot. You are doing very well for only three years.

#2137225 - 08/22/13 02:23 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: stumbler]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
41 - 50 . . . .Away we go!

Mr Pozor Good solid playing; expression comes trough. A good year`s work!

CarlosCC The echo-y sond gives a wonderful depth to an atmospheric tune. I`d love to hear Kate Bush wailing above that, man!

Valencia Beautiful and touching. "Pictures at an Exhibition" is in there somewhere . .

Ladypayne Most unusual and delightful departure from the original. And why not? It works . . don`t fix it!

Sandtiger Keep up this good work; improvisation is good for the ear. Mine too . . .

Joangolfing Every note in it`s place, in the right order. More than mine is . . .the speed will come. I tried to rush it. My finger`s swollen . . dammit

Mar red Light, confident touch here, precisely played. A darn good listen. Your piano is super.

Mile Hi Steve Bach is good for improvising on. Good work; A singer over the top pf this would be good. pref. not a rapper . .

Mike White Really great; depth in this piece, and it`s down to you! The red dot makes me sweat. It`s noticeable in a way that exercise isn`t . . .keep plugging!

Copper Thoughtfl piece not lacking in expression. Well rendered; love the piano!

""

#2137235 - 08/22/13 02:33 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Here's my last batch, then off to catch up on comments!

23. Serge88 – Manha de Carnaval – I love it! You fit your style perfectly to the background, and it’s really suave smile

21. aTallGuyNH – New York State of Mind (intro only) – Sophisticated. A real treat. You’ve captured the flavor just right.

19. Earlofmar – Minuet in G major – What a bright and delightful piece! Well, at least the way you play it. Not the way I used to play it. Definitely danceable. Well done.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) – For Em – I think you belong at El Meson right here in Santa Fe. Great piece. I’m with Tall Guy – love to hear the jazz in the recitals.

15. peterws – Contemplation 5 – I laughed! Was I supposed to? Actually, I liked it. Not something I’d expect at a piano concert, I’ll admit laugh , but fun.

13. Riddler (Ed) – Prelude in D Flat Major – wow! This was great! You’re really versatile. I love the ending. You played it beautifully.

11. Inlanding – Glen – Gnossienne No 1 – Also beautiful. I first heard Satie in a community college piano class I took several years ago. I liked it, and you really do a great interpretive job.

9. Sam S – Nocturne Opus 37/1 – You did a good job of this as a “nocturne – a dreamy piece of music” as my dictionary says. Quietly stately, kind of visionary.

7. lyricmudra – Nocturne in F-sharp Major – This was a little more active dream places than Sam’s smile But I liked this, too, and the interpretation was first rate. Not that I know enough that that’s an informed opinion, but I thought it was well played.

5. MaryBee – Three Sinfonias – These were so light, and cheery and quiet, too – Bach at his best smile

3. Greener/Jeff Green – Waltz in C# Minor – I love waltzes, and this was very nice. I’ll have to admit I thought of a merry-go-round in parts of it 

1. Andy Platt – Invention in E Major – Well, I love ending the recital on Bach smile I love the interplay you brought out between the 2 parts – well played!

Cathy

#2137238 - 08/22/13 02:35 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Aye, lad-Ya can laugh as much as you like! Those wildlife noises are truly dreadfully funny . . .Seashore`s sound, mind...

""

#2137261 - 08/22/13 03:02 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Thank you AimeeO for your generous comments. I'm trying to keep this piece polished so I can pull it out and play anytime. Even a few days can reveal weaknesses. Thank you agin for you kind words.

#2137307 - 08/22/13 04:31 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Dumik Offline

Thank you all for your kind comments I really appreciate it. For those who pondered if Im a restarter: I have no musical background and I had merely touched piano keys before the end of this January when I started to play the piano. Before this piece I had played K545 andante and Rondo alla turca and I started to play this piece at the end of May so it took little over two months to get to this point. I will start my piano lessons next week and I´m learning two pieces at the moment so I will definitely participate in the next recital too!

Edited by Dumik (08/22/13 04:35 PM)

#2137333 - 08/22/13 05:43 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

14. Allard - Dreamer's Waltz I guess you would call this 'new age' music? Although I'm not a big fan of the genre, I thought you played it beautifully. You altered the dynamics enough to keep my interest, and it was obvious that you have a feel for this music. Really liked the rolled chord at the end. Nice job.

15. peterws - Contemplation 5 Interesting composition, peterws. I have no clue how someone goes about making something like this. I can't even tell which parts might have been done on some kind of keyboard. Nonetheless it was a fun watch/listen. Thanks for sharing.

16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth What a treat - a Liszt piece I've never heard. Played with restraint and a clear idea of where you wanted it to go. Your use of the word "intimate" in the notes really sums up this piece for me. It is easy to see/hear that you worked hard on this, and that it was a labor of love.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em Unfortunately I listened to this at my office, where I couldn't jump up and order a coctail and cigar to go with it. A perfect composition for a smokey jazz lounge, maybe in a basement establishment with low ceilings and plenty of history. As always, a joy to listen to, Russ.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2137361 - 08/22/13 06:50 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
33. Cmohr- Great listening. also nice that it was your first take. Gives it a "real" feeling.

29. Wastruebeginner- Another nice original. Well done.

27. Jotur- Yea... I BET the seniors love it! I can almost see them dancing around as you play. Fun!

26. Marilyn- Wow! Quite a nice job. I like how you treated this as a recital and just went for the first take. I really enjoyed listening.

21. Atallguy- Jazzy!! Another fun listen.

18- Mr awesomesuperhunk- Yea! You are always one of my favorite listens. I even look forward to that annoying mike sound just before you start playing....and just when you finish playing. And thanks for explaining how you go about creating these "original covers" (Sounds like something my wife once made for my sailboat)... but seriously.. it is neat to see how you go about doing this. You just have a natural talent (naturally) and a great ear. really enjoyed listening. Thanks.

#2137436 - 08/22/13 09:38 PM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TrapperJohn]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Thanks Aimee - but, what were those other expectations you had as a drinker?

Well, not knowing the story, I was expecting a rousing drinking song, where the whole bar gets riled up - rather celebratory. As far as "Can You Hear the People Sing?," this song occurs the following morning, the people are still drunkenly celebratory(like the revolution has been won or something), and your head hurts and you do wish they would pipe down already.

#2137506 - 08/23/13 01:26 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Dumik]
sinophilia Offline

Dumik, you're doing an amazing job with very challenging music! But why not throw in some easier piece too? With your talent and commitment you would bring it to perfection in no time. There is beautiful beginner level music too... or at last that's what I try to convince myself of wink

#2137543 - 08/23/13 04:53 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: sinophilia]
Dumik Offline

Problem with easier music for me is that I dont feel myself as motivated playing them as i do feel when im playing more advanced pieces. I love playing pieces that are "too difficult for me", because then I really feel that I have accomplished something when I learn it. I have the same attitude towards everything in life in general, the harder something is, the more work i´ll put in and I´ll feel myself more motivated. It is also pretty fun to see my progress with those advanced pieces. When I start to learn a piece, even I start to doubt myself "this is way over my league, i cant learn this". However I just patiently play it to memorize it and then just repeat and in the end I can say to myself "well, i guess i could learn that" and that feels good.

#2137585 - 08/23/13 08:33 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Arggggghhhh!!!. Just spent more than 2 hours listening and writing comments only to lose them in a cyberspace glitch. Arrrrrrrghhhhh mad

Estonia L190 #7284

#2137625 - 08/23/13 09:42 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: JimF]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Get after `em, man! Don`t let `em escape! WHOOOOOSHH!!! Flash of blue light . . . JimF is also lost in cyberspace.

Any volunteers? grin

""

#2137639 - 08/23/13 10:11 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Dumik]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: Dumik
Problem with easier music for me is that I dont feel myself as motivated playing them as i do feel when im playing more advanced pieces. I love playing pieces that are "too difficult for me", because then I really feel that I have accomplished something when I learn it. I have the same attitude towards everything in life in general, the harder something is, the more work i´ll put in and I´ll feel myself more motivated. It is also pretty fun to see my progress with those advanced pieces. When I start to learn a piece, even I start to doubt myself "this is way over my league, i cant learn this". However I just patiently play it to memorize it and then just repeat and in the end I can say to myself "well, i guess i could learn that" and that feels good.

That's great! I guess I have the opposite tendency, not pushing myself enough. I tell myself, I can't possibly play this at that tempo, then I give it a try and look, it works! (sometimes)

#2137665 - 08/23/13 11:03 AM Re: Recital 31 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Final batch.
Great recital everyone! Congratulations!!! thumb

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea - I think McLaughlin is in the new-age composers group, right? This piece is haunting and contagious. Nice work memorizing all the score. Well done.

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) - I love Scott Joplin, he should be performed more in these recitals. I know it's not easy to play Joplin - even the easy versions! - because it has some tricky variations hard to play. Thanks for sharing!

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) - You did a really nice job here, very sensitive and expressive. I can see you're in love with this.

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 - Kuhlau(?) is new for me. You did an excellent job, very consistent and I think you captured the mood. Good job!

55. BenPiano - Nefeli - Nefeli is in my repertoire since 2011, but I never did a record of it. It has some tricky phrases and it's a great, great piece to play. You did a wonderful job with it. I'm going to pay attention to the rhythms you express here because my version is a little bit "hard"... I liked a lot! Congratulations!

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major - What a great ending for this recital! Mozart as it best! I loved it, Mark.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvnE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (AZ_Astro, alfredo capurso, beet31425, AmateurBob, 22 invisible), 890 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316074 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission