2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 310 of 341 1 2 308 309 310 311 312 340 341
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
as long as KJ himself wasn't there also

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Knotty: I've listened to the Bill Evans one multiple times. I think I even used to own the CD. I keep dipping into that archive. I don't think however, NPR has the Mehldau one available unless my searching skills have deserted me. However, in addition to Spotify, I found this link which seems to have it: https://myspace.com/marianmcpartlan...land-s-piano-jazz-with-brad-mehldau-7760

He tells a great story of how, just prior to doing he show, he found out that on his parents' first date they went to see McPartland at the Hickory House.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dfrank
as long as KJ himself wasn't there also

Haha!

Jjo, I think I actually bought that meldhau duet. NPR seems to re-release interviews every now and then. But yeah, spotify is great. Do you subscribe or get the free version.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I subscribe,partially to get rid of the commercials, but also to support the musicians. There is some controversy over Spotify. While it's completely legal, some musicians complain they get next to nothing. Spotify responds that it pays the record companies a lot, and it can't help it if that doesn't trickle down to the musicians. My view is that I mostly listen on Spotify to stuff I wouldn't buy, so it's only helping the musicians, but I do want to support them, so I pay. For what I get, $9.99 per month is a bargain. For example, I recently explored in depth two great artists, Art Pepper and Woody Shaw. I don't know any other way to do this without something like Spotify.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Played trio tonight as I mentioned before. Although it's actually the first time I've played trio, I really didn't miss a beat and it felt just like any other gig. I don't know how the recordings sound yet but as usual, place was packed and the tips keep growing every month...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's one sample from tonight's gig. Singer dropped by and sang a few tunes. As you can tell she's quite a hit with the crowd.

Blue Bossa
https://app.box.com/s/c79on8hqv6m5g8b2ezfy

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JW,

Hang on to that singer. She is quite good.
And very nice playing on your end. This is the best I've heard you play, I think. Solid feel and nice comping for her.

Let us hear some of the trio stuff if you have any.

++

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi phellow phreaks, I'll be in Seattle next week from Wed - Sat, if anyone would like to connect I'll be bringing some matzah balls for your consumption..

Dave

T
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Here's one sample from tonight's gig. Singer dropped by and sang a few tunes. As you can tell she's quite a hit with the crowd.

Blue Bossa
https://app.box.com/s/c79on8hqv6m5g8b2ezfy

good playing wee, who's the singer? the sound quality is a bit muffled though, could be the mic placement.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Knots and Wind. Unfortunately the mic is just capturing ambient since there is no easy way to place it in front.

I didn't like my lines particularly but time seems very solid now. Hopefully, my rushing days are behind me.

Did you hear the crowd in there? There's a group of regulars that fill up the place and it's always packed. Really fun gig. We made close to $200 in tips alone.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
JW,
Hang on to that singer. She is quite good.
++

BTW this comment had me amused because it's the other way around. The singer is big time. Her husband is famous too. She has solo jazz gigs at all the world class joints in LA. I'm lucky she sits in with us. it's only because my regular singer IS HER FATHER.

Truly professional. Guides the band with body movements. I'm sure she's laughing at my meager piano chops since her husband is a classical pianist and composer (of soundtracks of many well known movies). So I'm lucky she tolerates us. Probably so I don't fire her father. LOL.

Fact is -- I can't afford her. But she is willing to do gigs with me in the future (she says).

Audience knows that she's better than her father (who's no slouch either). He's playing percussion on the track.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The singer above dropped by and did 3 songs with us. So here'e the 3rd one. Totally pro. My job was to make sure I don't take the focus away from her. I do take a solo here but not too much and I tried to keep my comping tasteful. I think the trio did a good job supporting her. And of course every tune is in some new key (this one a half step up).

Summertime
https://app.box.com/s/p8th6kik7ofwfbw16b0h

And for trio only (no singers) here's one. Nothing special. Tempo was a little too slow for me.

Footprints
https://app.box.com/s/nsdmbqhliyu95v5wqy8a

Last edited by jazzwee; 08/17/13 03:56 AM.

My Jazz Blog

T
T
hey guys just a simple question about this chord progression. Key is F major

F maj7 / F diminished/ G-7 / C 7/

In theory terms what would the role of the 2nd chord be, the F diminished. I've seen this recently in a few different songs. The other chords are easy enough, but would the F dim be considered a passing chord, as it's not the V7 of G-7, but does sound like it resolves when you play it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wind,

You're on target hearing the F dim chord as a "passing" chord (in Fma7 - Fdim - Gmin7 - C7). You might try hearing the Gmin7 as a passing chord as well. The idea is the 1st and last chords (the beginning and the end or the starting place and the destination) are the essential ones.

If the middle 2 chords are "passing" you can build on that by substituting a million other chords instead The idea is keep what's essential and change the rest. Your ear and your taste (and how much experimenting you do) can decide what's "essential" and must remain and what's "the rest" and can be changed.

Another explanation is a drive through Barry Harris Land. Which means spelling from the bottom note to the top the progression is F A C D to F Ab Cb D to F G Bb D to E G Bb C. Or spell the 1st chord (bottom to top) as A C F G and continue with Ab Cb D F to G Bb D F to G Bb C E.

These 2 examples hold common tones between chords and moving ONLY the notes that aren't in common. The technique is called "voice leading." How, when, why, and where you use voice leading is according to taste, style, etc. Here's a quick VL guide - not the best or the worst but it covers basics.

http://www.tonalityguide.com/tkvoiceleading.php

Here are some examples with the chord progression you posted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19895150/BasicVoice.png

There are many ways to explain all above. They come down to deciding what's and what isn't essentiall. Meaning keep what has to be there and change everything else as you wish.

Hope this helps -

Last edited by Mark Polishook; 08/17/13 09:01 AM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mark Polishook

Here are some examples with the chord progression you posted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19895150/BasicVoice.png

There are many ways to explain all above. They come down to deciding what's and what isn't essentiall. Meaning keep what has to be there and change everything else as you wish.

Hope this helps -

Hey Mark
Thanks for your clear examples.
I especially liked:
(i) Ex 3 where you approached the G min 7 from a half step above.
(ii) the last Ex where you end on a C# min 7 with that nice unresolved quality. It sounds cool over a C6 chord.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
CustardApple,

Thanks for your comments. I added a few more ties on that last example you commented on - to clarify what's held and what moves. And then I added one more example after that last example!

Hope that's helpful!

Last edited by Mark Polishook; 08/18/13 04:41 AM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Beautiful Mark, I replayed all the examples.
The minimal, at times zero, movement for each given voice is very easy/appealing to the ear.

T
T
hi Mark, thanks for answering my question. your astute analysis was very helpful and your comments on this thread are insightful. I listen to alot of Keith Jarrett and he's the master at voice leading. He has a technique where he will play the melody and bass note and fill in the chord a split second later. it's just beautiful.

Physically it's something the fingers need practice with, I am so used to playing mainly melody and perhaps an extra note with right hand, and chords in left.

His left hand comping is understated but seems to always play the right note.

I've gone through some transcriptions of his and one of his favourite chords is the sus to dom7.

So, say Gsus4- G7, it will be G-C-F / G-B-F , just one note moving to complete the tritone of the dom7.

T
T
Here's an example of that melody and then chord a split second later, listen to the intro:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Wind
Here's an example of that melody and then chord a split second later,

Also, it's a great example of using those 4 chords of yours: F maj7 / F diminished/ G-7 / C 7/ as an intro utilizing a C pedal.
Fmaj7/C, Fdim/C, G-7/C, C7

Page 310 of 341 1 2 308 309 310 311 312 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission