2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is my understanding that the "other" parts of the Steinway corporation are actually larger than piano division. Many people don't know that.

While I truly hope the best for the future of the brand, I can only smile about the implied significance of the entrepreneur's musical dabbling as a high schooler and the conjectured connection between that and this business deal.

JG

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The Year to Date revenue for SMI is as follows:

Piano Operations - $102.2 million
Band Operations - $ 67.0 million

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
And from the Globe and Mail...

Piano Maker Steinway Goes Private in $512 Million dollar Deal

Piano maker Steinway goes private in $512-million deal Add to ...

Maria Ajit Thomas and Greg Roumeliotis

Reuters

Published Wednesday, Aug. 14 2013, 11:27 AM EDT

Steinway Musical Instruments Inc., best known for its grand pianos, agreed on Wednesday to be taken private by Paulson & Co. after the hedge fund firm raised its offer to $40 per share, valuing the 160-year old company at about $512-million (U.S.)

Steinway shares rose above the Paulson bid, touching a high of $41.60, suggesting some investors expect a higher offer.

The piano maker caters to the tastes of the rich and famous, a market known to be more resilient to economic shifts, said CJS Securities Inc analyst Arnold Ursaner.

“When you are dealing with any global luxury brand, the value is in the eye of the beholder. To me it’s no different than a work of art, it’s what someone is willing to pay for that unique asset. The piano business of Steinway has a great pedigree and is not easy to come by,” Ursaner said.

A leveraged buyout of Steinway represents an unusual private equity-style deal for hedge fund mogul John Paulson, who shot to fame in 2007 with a prescient bet against subprime mortgages and repeated his success in 2009 with a bet on gold.

“We will proudly support the company’s legacy as the premier global piano manufacturer, a reputation earned with an uncompromising commitment to quality appreciated by almost all of the world’s most demanding pianists,” Paulson said in a statement.

He added he does not plan to close, relocate or change any of the company’s manufacturing operations.

Steinway said Paulson & Co. raised its offer to $40 a share from $38 following a $39 bid by South Korea’s Samick Musical Instruments Co. Ltd.

Steinway said on Tuesday that private equity firm Kohlberg & Co, which agreed to a deal with Steinway in July for $35 per share, had waived its right to match or beat Paulson’s offer, which represents a premium of 31.4 per cent to Steinway’s share price prior to the Kohlberg offer.

Steinway said the deal with Paulson did not provide for a “go-shop” period during which the company could actively seek out competing bids. But Steinway is allowed to accept a superior offer until the closing of Paulson’s tender offer, within 25 days.

Steinway would have to pay a termination fee of about $13.4-million to Paulson if it accepted another offer. It will pay Kohlberg $6.7-million to terminate their agreement.

Steinway, whose pianos have been used by legendary artists such as Cole Porter and Sergei Rachmaninoff and by contemporary ones like Chinese concert pianist Lang Lang, is nearly one-third owned by Samick, according to Thomson Reuters data.

Founded in 1958, Samick already manufactures pianos in the United States and has a production capacity of more than a half million guitars per year through factories in South Korea, Indonesia, China and the United States, according to its website.

Steinway’s brands also include Bach Stradivarius trumpets, Selmer Paris saxophones, C.G. Conn French horns, Leblanc clarinets, King trombones and Ludwig drums.

Waltham, Massachusetts-based Steinway’s sales have been stagnating and it has struggled to keep production margins competitive. Sales rose just 2 per cent in 2012.

The company said in December it had decided not to sell itself after a 17-month-long review of strategic options.

Kohlberg made its offer six months later, valuing the company at about $438-million.

Steinway completed the sale of its leasehold interest in the Steinway Hall building on Manhattan’s 57th Street in June to a partnership led by JDS Development Group for $46.3-million.

Paulson is paying between 10 and 10.5 times Steinway’s current earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization, Ursaner said.

Steinway said it expects the deal to close in late September.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I was just interviewed by WNYC for a business segment to be aired on Wednesday about the Steinway situation.

If I come off sounding good I'll post a link. If I sound like a fool please disregard this post. wink

The interview was for background not on-air broadcast.

That's different from what your first post suggested. Thanks for clarifying.

Can you provide a link for the on-air part that was aired without you?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Supply
It is my understanding that the "other" parts of the Steinway corporation are actually larger than piano division. Many people don't know that.

Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Well, Marty, to be fair to Jurgen if we are talking about manufactured products we could knock of about $20 million from piano operations for Boston and Essex. About half of piano revenues come from the Americas. That puts Astoria pianos around $40 million, about 60% of band operations.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I was just interviewed by WNYC for a business segment to be aired on Wednesday about the Steinway situation.

If I come off sounding good I'll post a link. If I sound like a fool please disregard this post. wink

The interview was for background not on-air broadcast.

That's different from what your first post suggested. Thanks for clarifying.

Can you provide a link for the on-air part that was aired without you?

The recent interview on which I provided background is at http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/...ge-fund-manager

The earlier article I was interviewed for (and quoted in) is at

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/wqxr-blog/2013/jul/02/explainer-what-steinway-sale-means-music-fans/.

A good summary of the situation can be found at http://www.musictrades.com/.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Ian,

However, we are discussing the total sale of SMI. Why did you exclude Hamburg? Remember that Boston and Essex are sold in Europe and are a major source of income for "the piano division." Though Steve Cohen would argue, they are still a product of Steinway.

In a PM, Jurgen posed an interesting question about O.S. Kelly Foundry and Kluge Keyboards. It's anyone's guess where they fit in, but I would guess "piano" rather than "band." But, stranger things have happened in the corporate world.

(To offset the rebuttal, isn't an iPod a product of Apple?)

Marty in Minnesota

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Ian,

Remember that Boston and Essex are sold in Europe and are a major source of income for "the piano division." Though Steve Cohen would argue, they are still a product of Steinway.

To be clear... while Steinway has designed some elements, and markets Boston and Essex, it is my position that that Boston and Essex are not "made by Steinway" nor should schools that buy Boston and/or Essex pianos claim to be "All Steinway Schools".

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

O
Orz Offline
O
Hi Ian,

Remember that Boston and Essex are sold in Europe and are a major source of income for "the piano division." Though Steve Cohen would argue, they are still a product of Steinway.

To be clear... while Steinway has designed some elements, and markets Boston and Essex, it is my position that that Boston and Essex are not "made by Steinway" nor should schools that buy Boston and/or Essex pianos claim to be "All Steinway Schools".

iPhone/iPad/iPod are product of Foxconn...
lol j/k

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Orz,

That was exactly my point. An iPod is a product of Apple and is manufactured by Foxconn and other foreign manufacturers.

Marty in Minnesota

J
J
Hi Ian,

Steve,

I think you have been a little less forthcoming in this Saga than I think you should have, but with this statement I agree fully!

Jonathan

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Like it or not, the Boston and Essex lines are part of SMI and part of the sale. I'm curious where the "made by Steinway" quote came from. It sure wasn't from S&S or SMI.

Yes Steve, we are well aware of your position on "All Steinway School" usage.

Marty in Minnesota

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
However, we are discussing the total sale of SMI. Why did you exclude Hamburg?

Marty

In rough round figures, my breakdown of your YTD sales revenues of $100m for the piano operations are $20m Boston & Essex (global), $40m NY Steinway (Americas), $40m Hamburg Steinway (Europe/Asia). You are right that $80m from Steinway pianos exceed $67m revenues from band instruments, but I was looking at the made in USA element. However the costs of sale of all Steinway pianos and band instrumenrs, representing the value of production, appear roughly comparable around $50m.

Jurgen

I guess Kohlberg saw some potential in the instrument brands and I imagine Mr Paulson will be keen explore that too, not least because he can play some of them.

Last edited by Withindale; 08/15/13 08:00 PM.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ian,

My YTD revenues? I didn't do any breakdown of NY vs. Hamburg vs. Boston vs. Essex. The figures I listed are from the SMI 2nd. quarter report and listed YTD.

Please remember that this is revenue, not profit.

Marty in Minnesota

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Marty

Yes, I know. See edit in my post - it's getting late here.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The recent interview on which I provided background is at http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/...ge-fund-manager

The earlier article I was interviewed for (and quoted in) is at

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/wqxr-blog/2013/jul/02/explainer-what-steinway-sale-means-music-fans/.

A good summary of the situation can be found at http://www.musictrades.com/.

Thanks for the links, Steve.

This is interesting, from your musictrades link:
Kohlberg & Co. offered $35 per share for the company. In a subsequent 45-day “shopping period” Paulson was one of 64 buyers who evaluated the company’s financials

Quite a lot of interest in Steinway. I wonder if that's typical for a buyout offer though: lots of big investment managers coming by the lot and kicking the tires, in case a good deal shows up. Or maybe it's usually 100s of evaluators, and 64 is small.

Your first link got mangled, but I assume you meant this:
Why Steinway is Probably Selling Itself to a Hedge Fund Manager

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The latest:
http://www.steinwaymusical.com/news.php
To the employees, dealers and partners of Steinway & Sons:
On behalf of Paulson & Co., I would like to introduce our firm and share our enthusiasm for our pending acquisition of Steinway
Musical Instruments. We are excited to participate in the
future of Steinway & Sons, re nowned for producing the finest
quality pianos in the world.
Paulson & Co. is an investment firm that manages approximately US$18 billion in assets and has offices in New York, London, and Hong Kong.

Our investment team has experience in a variety of industries, including several relevant to Steinway: media and entertainment,
consumer products, and retailing. We have succe ssfully invested in both public and private companies that have executed global growth strategies center ed around remarkable brands.
We are delighted to have the opportunity to invest in a
business with the tradition for excellence that Steinway enjoys. We will proudly support the company’s legacy as the premier global piano manufacturer, a reputation earned with an uncompromising commitment to quality appreciated by the world’s most demanding pianists. Personally, I am the owner of
three Steinway grand pianos ─ models M, O and B-
and intend to add a fourth, a model B incorporating a factory-installed player piano system.

We intend to champion each of the attributes that make Steinway a unique company: its highly trained and skilled employees, perfected manufacturing processes, unwavering commitment to
quality, revered global brand name, and dedication to partners,
customers, artists and music lovers.

Paulson does not plan to close, relocate, or change any
of the company’s manufacturing operations. We fully endorse management’s current strategy to grow in the company’s
traditional markets as well as underpenetrated markets in Asia, Eastern Europe and South America.

We look forward to a bright future as together we build upon the great legacy of Steinway & Sons.
Sincerely yours,
John Paulson
President
Paulson & Co. Inc

Gary
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If Apple design it (In California), market it and sub contract or license the manufacture, it's an Apple product. With just a weeny bit of Samsung DNA ;-)

If Steinway design it, market it, put it in their owned or franchised dealerships, put their Designed by Steinway brand on it, and subcontract manufacture of it to pianocosomewhere, then its a Steinway product. Therefore "all Steinway" schools with some Essex and Boston Steinway sub-brands are indeed all Steinway, whether some dealer / consultant likes it or not.

Looking at the revenue numbers I am a little surprised how small Steinway group is:not even the beginning of a pimple on the US economy. Small beer for the serious players but very important to the aficionados. My own guess remains, especially with hedge fund ownership and the trader mentality that entails, that Steinway will get broken up, with band side sold off, Hamburg separated, maybe with a Frankfurt listing if they can scrape up enough scale (no pun intended), and the US piano rump falling to the highest bidder.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
I changed my mind
Best wishes-

Last edited by phacke; 08/17/13 12:07 AM.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJB
If Apple design it (In California), market it and sub contract or license the manufacture, it's an Apple product. With just a weeny bit of Samsung DNA ;-)

If Steinway design it, market it, put it in their owned or franchised dealerships, put their Designed by Steinway brand on it, and subcontract manufacture of it to pianocosomewhere, then its a Steinway product. Therefore "all Steinway" schools with some Essex and Boston Steinway sub-brands are indeed all Steinway, whether some dealer / consultant likes it or not.

Looking at the revenue numbers I am a little surprised how small Steinway group is:not even the beginning of a pimple on the US economy. Small beer for the serious players but very important to the aficionados. My own guess remains, especially with hedge fund ownership and the trader mentality that entails, that Steinway will get broken up, with band side sold off, Hamburg separated, maybe with a Frankfurt listing if they can scrape up enough scale (no pun intended), and the US piano rump falling to the highest bidder.

Splitting Hamburg off would make no sense whatsoever and destroy a great deal of brand value.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission