2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Michael_99
I am concerned when I post that someone might take something out of context. In the real world, you write a letter and then attach the letter that you wish to comment on which shows the date, the person that wrote the post/letter and the person it was sent to - so TO FROM (the body) and the date it was written - but to me - threads are all over the place. So that is how I have to do it.

If you want to reply to this message, you would probably start typing "AnotherScott, I have read your post, here:" and that you would copy and paste what I had said. You can do the EXACT same thing by simply hitting the QUOTE button instead of the REPLY button, and it would be a lot LESS work for you (no typing, no copying, no pasting), and it would be more readable for everyone else, because the forum automatically offsets the quote with a different look so that it is instantly clear to the reader where the Quote ends and where your Response begins. Just that one step would make things easier for you AND your potential readers, with zero loss of content or context. (On your screen, as you composed your response, it would look exactly the same to you as always, except for the addition of small quote indicators in brackets.)

If you want to take it one step further, once the Quote section is generated, you could actually delete (cut or backspace over) any of the original quote that is actually not relevant to the point you are making in response, which will make the final post more concise and more clear. But... one step at a time...

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I am concerned when I post that someone might take something out of context. In the real world, you write a letter and then attach the letter that you wish to comment on which shows the date, the person that wrote the post/letter and the person it was sent to - so TO FROM (the body) and the date it was written - but to me - threads are all over the place. So that is how I have to do it.

You are not the first person on the internet. You don't have to figure out how posting should work. The correct way to read and respond to forum posts is well-established and used by the majority of people here. Coming up with your own hair-brained method and refusing to change even after so many people point out the problems it causes only serves to confuse and annoy.

The fact that you are annoying causes people to think you are also a troll. By the way, being annoying isn't cute, funny, or humanizing. It's just off-putting.

People that know me say I am not remotely like other people. Also for my whole life, I don't get headaches, but people who know me say I always cause them to get a headache after knowing me for 15 minutes. I would caution people maybe they should not read my posts, because it might cause them to get a headache and I understand that and I am okay with people wishing not to read my posts. I am not offended and completely understand why.

If are not offended when people tell you that you are an obstinate irritation, whether in the forum or in real life, then you are very confused and you need to do some serious reflection.

Last edited by gvfarns; 08/17/13 12:54 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
anotherscott Online content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael_99

anotherscott, I have read your post, here:

If you want to reply to this message, you would probably start typing "AnotherScott, I have read your post, here:" and that you would copy and paste what I had said. You can do the EXACT same thing by simply hitting the QUOTE button instead of the REPLY button, and it would be a lot LESS work for you (no typing, no copying, no pasting), and it would be more readable for everyone else, because the forum automatically offsets the quote with a different look so that it is instantly clear to the reader where the Quote ends and where your Response begins. Just that one step would make things easier for you AND your potential readers, with zero loss of content or context. (On your screen, as you composed your response, it would look exactly the same to you as always, except for the addition of small quote indicators in brackets.)

If you want to take it one step further, once the Quote section is generated, you could actually delete (cut or backspace over) any of the original quote that is actually not relevant to the point you are making in response, which will make the final post more concise and more clear. But... one step at a time...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

anotherscott says: If you want to reply to this message, you would probably start typing "AnotherScott, I have read your post, here:" and that you would copy and paste what I had said. You can do the EXACT same thing by simply hitting the QUOTE button instead of the REPLY button, and it would be a lot LESS work for you (no typing, no copying, no pasting), and it would be more readable for everyone else, because the forum automatically offsets the quote with a different look so that it is instantly clear to the reader where the Quote ends and where your Response begins.

humblebeginnerpianoplayers says: In a word, yes, you are probably right.

My eyesight is okay/average but I can't reasily read the quoted material because of the darker background. In the quote option - it puts it into a scroll mode and that is unacceptable to me.

I must see and have at all times the post in its entirety - no exception.

The reason people get a headache when they are dealing with me is that being dyslexic, I have extreme difficulty remembering or doing tasks if they are in a particular order of process. I never knew that my whole life until - when I turned 50 something and for the first time in my life I had to work with another person/people. Up to that point in my life, I had my own office from 21 to 50ish and so I did everything that worked the only way I knew how. But when I had to work with other people, team work, I realized and the other people soon realized that I would get confused and not do at all well if they set something up for me to do. So people realzied I would have to make adjustiments to the process or task. So now I tell people why I can't do something and why. For instance, when playing the piano, I have to figure how my brain likes to learn things so it isn't staightforward but experiece helps. And to add to that a few years ago I had a stroke and so I can count the measures - no problem but I have a terrible time counting change - but I can do with extra time.

When the doctors took my history, they would shake their head and ask how did you manage to do the things you did - my job and other things - and remember this is before I had my stroke they are talking about. And I said that fortunately I am very determined. Like if it takes the average person to play presto on the piano 3 to 5 years - I expect that it will take me 10 years - but no problem. I will not let anything get in my way. Maybe what my grade 4 teacher told my parents and my parents told me - was the best thing they told me. That I was mentally challenged and would not amount to anything or go beyond grade 8. My brother was straight A's -but became an alcoholic and drug addictive and eventually killed himself at 54.

anotherscott says: Just that one step would make things easier for you AND your potential readers, with zero loss of content or context. (On your screen, as you composed your response, it would look exactly the same to you as always, except for the addition of small quote indicators in brackets.)

humblebeginnerpianoplayer says: For me there is no easier or better way. For me I have to do what works. When I used to write an essay in English, I would write 8 or 10 pages of fullscap paper when everybody else in the room would write a half a page and get the same mark. But I am not complaining. My life has been very interesting and rewarding even though I am a very simple person.

anotherscott says: If you want to take it one step further, once the Quote section is generated, you could actually delete (cut or backspace over) any of the original quote that is actually not relevant to the point you are making in response, which will make the final post more concise and more clear. But... one step at a time...

humblebeginnerpianoplayer says: I do listen, I am not easily offended. I will try anything or do anying because it is all about learning and you never stop learning until the end. And I don't quit - the rest of the world may quit but I won't. It is not my nature.

cheers till another time,

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I can't reasily read the quoted material because of the darker background.

The darker background of the quote only appears after your message is posted. It does not appear while you are composing your response.

In the quote option - it puts it into a scroll mode and that is unacceptable to me.

I must see and have at all times the post in its entirety - no exception.

Regardless of whether you hit QUOTE or hit REPLY (where you manually insert the quote yourself), the scroll situation is the same. The typing area will have a scroll bar whenever it contains more text than will fit. This behavior does not depend on whether you hit QUOTE or REPLY, it is identical in either case.

You might find it easier if you hit QUOTE, then select the entire block of text and cut-and-paste it into a separate place for editing (your word processor program or a new empty email message, for example) where it is very easy to make the typing area as big as you want (to avoid scrolling), and then when you're done writing, cut-and-paste your entire response back into the reply box on the web page.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Really, I cannot see why we are making a point of order about this. In my own replies, I frequently use italics rather than the official quote function - though these days, I usually do use quote. Sometimes a small snippet, for example, doesn't seem to warrant the heavy-handedness of the quote box.

But no one has told me off about it yet. It is possibly annoying, but I think that a little individuality balanced against conformity is fine. And if the one is pitted against the other, then individuality must win, in my opinion. The more people insist on conformity, the less I like it, and the more bloody minded I'll become. At which point, Hoosten, we have a problem.

....but it's difficult to judge, really. Anarchy is certainly not the way. It's the most unfair and, ultimately, the cruelest of systems, so I quite understand the necessity to 'go along with the majority' which is a tenet of democracy. It's just that awful word 'conformist'.......

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns

You are not the first person on the internet. You don't have to figure out how posting should work. The correct way to read and respond to forum posts is well-established and used by the majority of people here. Coming up with your own hair-brained method and refusing to change even after so many people point out the problems it causes only serves to confuse and annoy.

The fact that you are annoying causes people to think you are also a troll. By the way, being annoying isn't cute, funny, or humanizing. It's just off-putting.

People that know me say I am not remotely like other people. Also for my whole life, I don't get headaches, but people who know me say I always cause them to get a headache after knowing me for 15 minutes. I would caution people maybe they should not read my posts, because it might cause them to get a headache and I understand that and I am okay with people wishing not to read my posts. I am not offended and completely understand why.

If are not offended when people tell you that you are an obstinate irritation, whether in the forum or in real life, then you are very confused and you need to do some serious reflection.

Gordon Bennett, we are intolerant aren`t we? Is there any need for this? The guy is not a troll.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Perhaps The bottom line is the PX-150 was lowered in price because the P-105 is outselling it in certain markets? For $599 most people would be more inclined to purchase a P105.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yamaha has excellent distribution and reputation. Many people don't do very thorough research before buying and so they go with the easiest to find and most recognisable. In digital pianos, the salient name is Yamaha and has been for many years. That kind of inertia isn't easy to fight (in musical instruments...some other markets are quicker to react).

For the reason, Casio needs to undercut them, so I think maybe you are right. Of course, Casio has distribution through big box retailers...I was just playing a PX135 at Best Buy today. Wish they had a PX150.

Last edited by gvfarns; 08/17/13 09:28 PM.
O
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Possum SP280Krome
For $599 most people would be more inclined to purchase a P105.

And once again Casio-hating-Possum is jumping on an opportunity to diss Casio and inform everyone of what he could not possibly know aside from his own opinion.

Does this forum have a moderator who can sift out all of the off-topic Michael 99 banter, place it in a new thread and restore the original theme of this thread?

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I feel a need to ask you people to show Michael some grace. He has his share of problems. Please show him an extra helping of grace.

I'm impressed that Casio is doing this. They're really fighting hard for that share of the market.
Personally, I can't be too impressed with the lower end Yamaha's. I've owned two of them. Wasn't impressed. They have so many different...well...everythings in keyboards. It's confusing. Yamaha can do anything right. I have a great respect for any acoustic instrument with the Yamaha name. First class stuff.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
O
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by rnaple
I feel a need to ask you people to show Michael some grace. He has his share of problems. Please show him an extra helping of grace.

It is an appropriate request befitting any similar situation. There are two completely unrelated discussions taking place here. Moving the side discussion to a separate thread would serve everyone.

Yamahas seem to have a good resale price, too . . .particularly the older ones, like, 15 years or so . .

Last edited by peterws; 08/18/13 01:09 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
gvfarns, I have read your post, here:

Quote:

Thank you for your compassionate academic understanding. Bless you.

I am humbled by your compassion.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o

And once again Casio-hating-Possum is jumping on an opportunity to diss Casio and inform everyone of what he could not possibly know aside from his own opinion.

Does this forum have a moderator who can sift out all of the off-topic Michael 99 banter, place it in a new thread and restore the original theme of this thread?

Actually, I own a PX130 and like it and play a friends PX830 often. So I don't really think I hate Casio, I just don't like the PX150. The speakers are garbage as well. But perhaps at $499 they are justifiable.
Anyone, one could have purchased at $499 for months with $100 off $599+ coupons.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
O
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o

Actually, I own a PX130 and like it and play a friends PX830 often. So I don't really think I hate Casio, I just don't like the PX150. The speakers are garbage as well. But perhaps at $499 they are justifiable.
Anyone, one could have purchased at $499 for months with $100 off $599+ coupons.

However you may feel about your PX 130, (it's been listed in your signature all along), you obviously have an agenda and take every opportunity to diss Casio. Even though you had problems with your 150 or 350 there are plenty of people who are happy and have not had any problem with theirs. By promoting a distorted perception of the product you attempt to mislead and discourage people who might otherwise find a wonderful experience playing one. If you are happy with your chosen non-Casio keyboard of the moment why hasn't it replaced your resentment? Things have a way of healing, smoothing out, becoming less important, forgotten, forgiven when we let go and move on especially when we find what we were looking for in something else.

O
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
If the current $499 is to stick there will be time for these to be eligible for as much as an additional 15% discount during sales. The conditions of the sales vary and you might need to wait for the one that fits best. Sometimes you have to have a total balance that exceeds a certain figure in order to get the highest discount. Other times a sale is limited to a quantity of one item. That may or may not need to exceed a figure to get the discount.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission