Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2134777 - 08/18/13 10:47 AM Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
I caught the end of a program last week on WWFM and heard Van Cliburn playing a Showmanofski???? Etude that was simply gorgeous. Then the announcer came on and it was David Dubal. His piano program often compares multiple pianist performing the same piece. Last week he had four pianist playing Chopin Opus 10 no 1 including Lhevine, Perahia, Ogden and someone else but Perahia performance from his Grammy winning CD was stupendous. I love his analysis of each pianists performance. Through the years he has heard everyone. He even plays recordings of his students. I would encourage all to get the free podcast just google it Piano Matters. He answers emails too. I asked him why no Richter since the beginning of 2013 and he said I have done over 600 shows with his performances. I would love to here his critique.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2134798 - 08/18/13 11:34 AM Re: Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I used to listen to Dubal's program when it was called, I think, Reflections from the Keyboard. This was at least 5 years ago or more. He played comparative performances on that program also.

I enjoyed listening to Dubal for quite a few years, but then I grew tired of his broadcast style, which I found too enthusiastic(I know some will think this impossible, but he waxes ecstatic about almost everything)and a bit too talkative(he loves reading lengthy quotes from other books). But it took quite a few years of listening for me to reach this point, and there is little doubt that Dubal is extremely knowledgeable.

I think his book "The Art of the Piano" is by far the best single volume summary about great pianists and the literature of the piano. And his "Essential Canon of Classical Music" is probably the best single volume summary about classical composers and classical music. It has become a required text at several prestigious conservatories.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/18/13 11:38 AM)

#2134821 - 08/18/13 12:39 PM Re: Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
I caught the end of a program last week on WWFM and heard Van Cliburn playing a Showmanofski???? Etude that was simply gorgeous.

Do you mean Szymanowski?

I'd no idea Cliburn played his music - very few have done.

Was it this one? http://youtu.be/SiKNHCplZBk

#2135112 - 08/18/13 11:37 PM Re: Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters [Re: bennevis]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
I caught the end of a program last week on WWFM and heard Van Cliburn playing a Showmanofski???? Etude that was simply gorgeous.

Do you mean Szymanowski?

I'd no idea Cliburn played his music - very few have done.

Was it this one? http://youtu.be/SiKNHCplZBk

I remember when Szymanowski seemed like a one-hit wonder, and that etude was the hit. It was extensively anthologized, and a number of pianists played it as an encore (and it wouldn't surprise me if many of them never looked at another note of Szymanowski's music).

#2135361 - 08/19/13 12:21 PM Re: Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I've read a few of his books and enjoyed them very much. My teacher is a good friend of David Dubal and speaks highly of his deep knowledge.

Deborah

#2135468 - 08/19/13 02:23 PM Re: Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
Yes, precisely the piece that Van Cliburn played so beautifully that he reminds me so well how he played at one time. It is haunting beautiful. I will be buying the piece later today. It's a nice encore piece.

#2136407 - 08/21/13 04:47 AM Re: Has anyone listened to David Dubals radio show Piano Matters [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Eduard Hanslick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, I go to the website and listen to the podcasts sometimes. I have it bookmarked. Very enjoyable. It's always interesting to hear two or more pianists play the same piece and compare their styles.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Atrys, Anticlock, AZNpiano, Austin D, 26 invisible), 1378 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295417 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
44 minutes 14 seconds ago
Learning progress
by sunnyday
49 minutes 29 seconds ago
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission