Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2134885 - 08/18/13 03:24 PM Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Trinidad and Tobago
So I took apart my p105 and found the problem.

The issues I was facing was that the power switch stopped working.

I noticed when I hit the area it started back working. Figured it was a short or something right away.

Then electricity cut off for 5 mins, and the piano wouldn't come back on afterwards. Figured what have I got to lose.

After unscrewing like 50 screws, opening the bottom careful not to disconnect or rip any ribbons, disconnecting the ribbons, then unscrewing the action to carefully lift it ensuring no ripping of ribbons,I finally detached the action from the circuitry(another ribbon).

Came across the red felt so I just lifted this off.

Then
Came across two circuit boreds with even more screws. Sigh

I unscrewed them and discovered that a ribbon on the circuit bored adjacent to the power switch circuit board was slack. Ever so slightly connected at an angle.
( note: the power switch circuit bored was also held in place by the plastic snap on volume knob so you gotta detach this before lifting that circuit bored.

I scanned the circuit board for any cracks or fractures and discovered none. Figured this was the problem.

This seemed to fix the problem. No more issues with my p105 !

So In conclusion, if anyone else is having similar issues to what I had, feel free to open her up. It wasn't hard. The only things u gotta look out for is when lifting the bottom shell, there are two ribbons, u gotta be careful not to rip these and disconnect them before proceeding.
I believe the action also had a ribbon, and careful with the ribbons on the two circuit boreds for the piano controls.

Basically just take care when lifting anything in case there is a ribbon lol.

what I did was i placed the bottom shell flat ,right above the top shell carefully on my bed and then disconnected the ribbons (i believe there were two)
There is sufficient length to do so.

another thing to note is when lifting the action, it kinda slides forward a bit and is then lifted so keep that in mind. When you see it you should know what to do.

If the power switch isn't working chances are its something is slack as it was in my case.

Thankfully there was no soldering involved.
Yay.

Sony V6 Studio Headphones :: Presonus Audiobox USB ::Rokit 6 G3::

Kayserburg UH132 Grand Upright Piano

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2134886 - 08/18/13 03:25 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's difficult to explain without pictures, I have some but only before the action was lifted and before the circuit boards were lifted.

If anyone needs to open their p105 and are curious about what they will encounter I will try my best to explain it better if the above post is too confusing.

Cheers!

#2134888 - 08/18/13 03:28 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Also careful when resitting the felt,,, I didn't do a fantastic job with it, so the felt near the bass keys isn't showing.. It's for decoration purposes so not a big deal. Might open her up later to resit the felt but not anytime soon.

#2134889 - 08/18/13 03:29 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Glad it worked out!

You should think about posting the pictures you do have. We all love seeing the innards of DP's around here.

#2134892 - 08/18/13 03:29 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

How do I go about posting the pics? I see no upload buttons :s

I will admit the weights for the GHS action is interesting.

They are basically plain old steel rods.

Edited by Mta88 (08/18/13 03:31 PM)

#2134906 - 08/18/13 03:48 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
To post picutures, go HERE.

Enter your name, email, and file name.

Your file will upload ... and you'll be taken to an error page! Just ignore the error.

Check your email. You'll receive a message with a link to the file you uploaded.

#2134917 - 08/18/13 04:06 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Did you have it upside down when you unscrewed everything, lifting out the bottom? It doesn`t sound much different to my DGX . .

""

#2134931 - 08/18/13 04:22 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
post some pictures!

If the P105 is especially empty or the circuit boards are clustered on on side, or the middle bit has no circuit boards.

Then it might be a candidate for being cut in half to make a portable 88 key.

I see that the controls end A4 as well.

#2134966 - 08/18/13 05:13 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Originally Posted By: Mta88
It's difficult to explain without pictures, I have some but only before the action was lifted and before the circuit boards were lifted.....

Generally, it is a good idea to take pictures every step of the way so you have them as reference when putting everything back together. It would also be great to share them with people but it is immediately much more important to yourself. This helps even when unpacking boxes in case you ever have to ship the item for a repair, sale, event or move.

#2134981 - 08/18/13 05:43 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mta88
How do I go about posting the pics?

@Mta88,

The easiest way I know of to post pictures is to upload them to the site below and all you do is copy/paste the address link of the uploaded image page to your post:

http://imgur.com/

#2134997 - 08/18/13 06:26 PM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: Mta88]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Photobucket works great as well. Plenty of options out there!

Your description of the counterweights sounds a lot like the action in the old YDP-113 I used to have. Not a bad action really, and couldn't be more simple. It did have some leaf springs under the keys though, so I guess things can get complicated if you have to mess with those.

#2135141 - 08/19/13 01:01 AM Re: Fixed my p105! Yay!/Instructions to take apart [Re: peterws]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Did you have it upside down when you unscrewed everything, lifting out the bottom? It doesn`t sound much different to my DGX . .

Yes it was upside down.

I shall post pics soon.. Had a rough day

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
10/01/14 03:38 AM
Is it necessary a classic base to play virtuosic jazz ?
by Nahum
10/01/14 03:18 AM
Who's Online
64 registered (amt976, beeboss, AZ_Astro, alexbergauer, Barly, AliAlkhiro, 14 invisible), 1020 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157911 Topics
2319103 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission