2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi all, here's a piece I wrote based off of a simple four chord progression (the "heart and soul" progression: I-vi-IV-V). It an exercise to see what I can come up with given the limited chords to work with.

It's a work in progress so I'm looking for feedback for my next draft.

Link: http://musescore.com/user/110359/scores/122976

Thanks

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
S
S
An interesting challenge, for sure. I have tried to limit myself to two to four chords sometimes myself as a sort of practice, though I have not managed to write anything I am very happy with by this method. I especially like the part in minor with the intricate left hand part and denser harmonies. I am not a big fan of the opening theme, this may be in part due to the mechanical playing of the muse score website but I am not sure. Perhaps you could try recording this one on an actual piano? Overall though I think with the various changes the piece goes through it does not really feel like you are recycling the same chord pattern contuously like a lot of music seems to do.

Hope the input helps. Do you have any specific thoughts or concerns regarding this piece?

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks! I think right now it jumps between the variation too quickly.. it feels schizophrenic? So for the next draft, I'll work on spending more time on each variation. Also, I am working on shaping the whole piece so there's a clearer structure--intro, variations, climax, coda.. something like that.

I did try to "smooth" out the transitions between the sections by referencing previous sections. For example, the beginning of the 3/4 section (bar 13) condenses the melody from the previous section (bar 9-12). Then the beginning of the 2/4 section (bar 24) has waltz-y chords overlayed with the 2/4 rhythm.

Another concern is that it gets too academic in places. The piece up to the high point (starting at bar 47) is basically condensing the chords. It starts as one chord change per measure in 4/4, then chord change every 3/4 measure, then 2/4. Then back to 4/4 but double time. Then at bar 43 each 1/16th note actually follows a rough I-vi-IV-V pattern, while each measure also follows the pattern. That's so it goes from really condensed chord progressions back to progressions spanning larger sections of the piece. Very academic, right? The feel I'm going for is faster-faster-faster up to the high point, and then gradually calm down.

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission