2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Peter, when I was a young teacher, I got my belly full of the parents who started their children several weeks or more late in the Fall, and always found a reason to quite attending lessons in late May. This was bad for the student's learning, obviously it hurt my income, and it was extremely frustrating - suddenly you have gaping holes in your teaching schedule, your annual recital has been torpedoed, to say nothing about the average cost per student for that event climbing. That's what caused me to initially consider annual tuition. It took one year for parents to adjust to the concept. When new families called and asked how much I charged per lesson, my answer was "I don't. Students pay tuition, enrollment fee, which covers the entire school year." There are a total of 52 lessons through the school year; 36 individual lessons and the remainder offered as group lessons. Parents to whom the cost of lessons is more important than the quality of the teacher can go through the mental gyrations and come up with what ever figure suits their fancy.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I quote tuition on a semester and a monthly basis only. The monthly rate is 5% more than the semester rate if they did the math (and I do let them know they are paying more for monthly). I don't quote the hourly although that figure could be calculated.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I quote tuition on a semester and a monthly basis only. The monthly rate is 5% more than the semester rate if they did the math (and I do let them know they are paying more for monthly). I don't quote the hourly although that figure could be calculated.

Doesn't this add unnecessary complexity to your life? Nov has 6 lessons (4 individual, 2 group), Dec has 5 lessons (3 individual, 2 group), Jan has 7 lessons (5 individual, 2 group). Why wouldn't a penny pinching parent think to themselves, "Well, Dec is a short month, so we'll just skip it. Can't be too much of a loss." Even with a 5% surcharge for lessons by the month, you're still going to be shortchanged.

FWIW, I do my 2 group lessons back to back, covering music theory/history etc during the first 45 min and then performance class for the second 45 min.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
M
M
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Doesn't this add unnecessary complexity to your life? Nov has 6 lessons (4 individual, 2 group), Dec has 5 lessons (3 individual, 2 group), Jan has 7 lessons (5 individual, 2 group). Why wouldn't a penny pinching parent think to themselves, "Well, Dec is a short month, so we'll just skip it. Can't be too much of a loss." Even with a 5% surcharge for lessons by the month, you're still going to be shortchanged.

FWIW, I do my 2 group lessons back to back, covering music theory/history etc during the first 45 min and then performance class for the second 45 min.
It is very clear in our policy that the monthly payments are installments on the semester tuition. Perhaps at some point we will go to strictly payment per semester, but for right now we are making a lot of changes for current students to get them up to speed. My biz partner's students were accustomed to paying per lesson. Mine are used to paying per month, but they know that they are enrolled for the school year and to cancel they need 30 days' notice. Penny-pinching parents are weeded out. If they choose not to come to December's lessons, they still pay for December, and the vast majority of our students love their lessons and so they won't pull this sort of thing.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I see, so you're actually charging a tuition, but parents have the option of paying by the month, with a slight surcharge. Ditto here. At first, I had the impression you offered by-the-month lessons as well.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have gotten to the point in tuition fees where I charge the same amount every month of the year for 4 lessons per month. I receive the same amount whether my studio is open or closed for lessons.

And, if a student needs extra time with me for a special project in music, I will give extra time because it contributes to our relationship, meets the students needs, and is good for my business but this doesn't happen often.

I also will reschedule a student when they request it as long as the notice is in advance; absences require a 24 hour notice or emergency status in order to have a make up. I work long hours in my studio office every day doing something or other that increases my piano teaching knowledge, makes my teaching more efficient or effective, networking with teacher on forums.

There are a million and one things that occupy my mind and time in music and in music teaching when I am not scheduled with a student. And, I design my own materials to teach music concepts and have a collection of public domain or shared materials from other teachers that I print from my computer. I use only supplemental music written by music education composers as a method book for beginners and continuing levels.

I am fully engaged in music almost 365 days per year and that is what my students are paying for. My rate is low enough that it affordable and does not overwhelm anyone's budget. I am a firm believer that the outcome of my work with students is the main criteria for all decisions I make in my music teaching and in the operation of my business.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
" I am a firm believer that the outcome of my work with students is the main criteria for all decisions I make in my music teaching and in the operation of my business."

Betty,

You can say that again. I tell my students that if they do it my way, I can guarantee certain results. If they don't do it my way, then I can guarantee nothing and the outcome will be uncertain at best. Which is why I insist that everybody who comes to me for lessons does it my way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission