2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
J
As for the decline of accordions...

I'm reminded of a classic FAR SIDE cartoon. One panel shows St. Peter welcoming a new arrival at the Pearly Gates with "Welcome to Heaven. Here's your harp."

The second panel shows Satan greeting a condemned soul with "Welcome to heck. Here's your accordion."

:-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
People like you are retiring, that's why sales are declining.

smile

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To elaborate a bit on such a flattering comment, I don't think that sales decline because of the object, but because of a dwindling supply of people whose expertise and selling ability make the product relevant and interesting.

As we continue to move towards an era where consumers only look at model numbers and prices, sooner or later people will realize that their homes are filled with worthless junk that is only as valuable as the next cheapest product number that replaced it. Price pressure therefore chokes the talented people out of perfectly viable products, like pianos.

As proof, there are certain brands of pianos that are not being squeezed as badly as others. Why? Because people are talking about them. They get excited about them and tell their friends and elevate them. Those that rely simply on some feature of the piano itself usually disappear quickly.

The products that are booming right now are the ones that have visionaries behind them, shouting out the relevance and importance of the product, creating demand -- and hence sales.

The piano has been around for 300-plus years. I believe that its relevance is as firm as a a musical scale or the circle of fifths.

We are coming into a time where economic challenges will put the squeeze on everyone, but I DO think the piano will rebound -- perhaps in a different kind of way -- but it will.

It has the momentum of 20 generations of music makers behind it. Its design is the basis for all of western music.

As for the accordion? I think that was more of an evolutionary thing and something of a fad. Fads come and go.

But at the end of the day, it's the people that give an industry critical mass -- not the product.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by turandot:
Hey Bear,

Impressive list of reasons. Father's additions are valid too. Here's a thread which discusses your topic in detail.
"Twilight of American Piano Culture"
Great thread reference, turandot.
Don't know how I missed this one before.
Yet more food for thought.

Bear 1 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by theJourney:
Originally posted by turandot:
[b] Hey Bear,

Impressive list of reasons. Father's additions are valid too. Here's a thread which discusses your topic in detail.
"Twilight of American Piano Culture"
Great thread reference, turandot.
Don't know how I missed this one before.
Yet more food for thought. [/b]
Hey theJourney and turandot,

I finally found enough time to finish reading that thread.
Yes a great read.
Thanks for pointing it out to me.
Wish I had known about it and read it before starting my thread.

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Bear 1 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by USAPT:
People like you are retiring, that's why sales are declining.

smile
Hi John,

Thanks for the compliment. smile
I appreciate it very much.

Sincerely,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

by USAPT
As for the accordion? I think that was more of an evolutionary thing and something of a fad. Fads come and go.
Don't give up on the accordian either. 10 - 1 says that the accordian will also return to popularity. It's portable unlike the other boards instruments.

The other thing to consider is if the Acoustic continues to decline can I get that Bosie grand for $1,000 ?

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
You can add classical church organ to the list.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The total amount of pianos that are still out there floating around from household to household that are trading hands as kids grow up to new families with young kids is tremendous. The acoustic piano will be around for decades yet even if they stopped making them today.

A part of the problem is who recommends the digitals and why? Often times, music teachers recommend them in an attempt to keep the childs interest peaked in practicing. Salesmen sometimes recommend them because the profit margin might be greater than the acoustic. I can't blame either one but, as mentioned too, eventually, people may realize that the long term value of a digital is nothing in comparison to an acoustic instrument.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jerry Groot RPT:
The total amount of pianos that are still out there floating around from household to household that are trading hands as kids grow up to new families with young kids is tremendous. The acoustic piano will be around for decades yet even if they stopped making them today.

A part of the problem is who recommends the digitals and why? Often times, music teachers recommend them in an attempt to keep the childs interest peaked in practicing. Salesmen sometimes recommend them because the profit margin might be greater than the acoustic. I can't blame either one but, as mentioned too, eventually, people may realize that the long term value of a digital is nothing in comparison to an acoustic instrument.
But Jerry, don't you think that at a certain price point, say $1,000, a digital is a reasonable alternative to an older used upright?

Doug
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Organ folks dying, not many good reps left, war, gas is high, no margin in digitals, PW dimwits quoting C3 prices, actually, its kinda like the business was when you came into it Bear:) Korea, Kiddies got that new teknologee (TV,)inflation, wierdo reps, gas was high (.26 a gallon used to be .12)
So what to do? what to do?. I like CT techs answer the best.

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
W
W
from Woody-Woodruff

Don't give up on the accordian either. 10 - 1 says that the accordian will also return to popularity. It's portable unlike the other boards instruments.
Seems Roland doesn't believe the accordian is a 'dead' instrument. Currently 'Featured Products' include:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=930&ParentId=72

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by USAPT:

The piano has been around for 300-plus years. I believe that its relevance is as firm as a a musical scale or the circle of fifths.

We are coming into a time where economic challenges will put the squeeze on everyone, but I DO think the piano will rebound -- perhaps in a different kind of way -- but it will.

It has the momentum of 20 generations of music makers behind it. Its design is the basis for all of western music.

I like your positive thinking thumb

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, I don't Doug. smile How can we compare a $50,000 Steinway to a digital? eek

I take this into consideration as well. 30 years from now, your piano will probably be worth what you paid for it provided you didn't get bilked to begin with. wink The digital will be worth next to nothing in just a few short years.

I bought a very nice 88 note digital many years ago. Yeah, I have one too! But, I also have 2 real pianos as well. smile At the time, my digital retailed for around $6,000. I went to sell it about 5 years later only to discover that it was then worth about $1,800. So, I kept it.

Plus, when you work on them full time all day long for a living like I do, we can really tell a tremendous difference between the two and there really is no comparison. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
M
M
In my view the current and further decline of the popularity of the acoustic piano can is attributed to the emergence of absolute popularity and, indeed necessity, of computers in our everyday life.

Today’s piano players not only want to play but also to compose, publish and market worldwide their works of music. Equally, they also want to share around with others their works.

Instead of buying one single instrument, a piano in our case, today people buy whole symphony orchestras, recording studios, publishing hoses and world marketing houses in the shape of a computer with programs allowing them to express themselves in a way that it would never be possible with just a piano. All these “other” instruments of the music trade are what people have always desired to have but could only afford due to the computer technology.

Consistency is the essence of good tradesmanship

The Piano Restoration Company
1/14 Burns Road,
Heathcote NSW 2233 Australia
M: 0417 255 420
www.thepianorestorationcompany.com.au
2 reasons that I see...

First, price tags on all pianos have a bunch of zeroes at the end. Before the dot. smile A halfway decent guitar can be had for $200 to satisfy the musical urges.

Second, it takes a lot of time and energy to keep your young child engaged day after day at the keyboard. I started lessons only two years before my son, and so I can pretty easily relate to the frustrations and the difficulties he encounters. More importantly, I can actually show him how to overcome those issues by just sitting next to him at the keyboard. If I had no prior experience with piano, I sure I would have quickly allowed my son to abandon his lessons, because after a while I wouldn't have known what else to do, and I wouldn't have had time to figure it out.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What caused the Home Organ decline in the US?
The multiple preset digital keyboards which arose in the eighties as Craigen mentioned. Only the true die hard organists kept this instrument alive with the need of the multiple manuals,drawbars and full pedal board. Other than the Hammond B3,C3,A100 etc. the organ industry is history (Church organs are also the divine exception).

What is causing the Acoustic Piano decline in the US?
Piano mastery requires years of solitary, consistent effort with good teachers. If our yardstick is short term the reward/effort ratio can't compete with alternatives.
I remember years ago in my study group in Law school telling the group that one can endure this for three years with "no life per se" and hopefully pass the bar but after three years of piano lessons you're still a beginner.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
M
M

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Originally posted by Mark...:
Believe it or not I work with a nurse who told me she would love her little boy to take piano lessons but her husband said that playing piano wasn't masculine and wouldn't allow it...
Absolutely ridiculous. My two boys play/played baseball, basketball, and football. Both still play the piano. (Ages 15 and 19). I think it's important to exercise BOTH sides of the brain.

Concerning the topic...

Are we even sure there actually IS a decline in the acoustic piano? Or is the market just saturated?

More and more manufacturers--with the help of automation and cheap labor--are putting out a LOT of pianos. For instruments that last 30 to 50 years (or whatever), how can there continue to be enough buyers?

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission