2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I'm considering taking on the child of a very close friend as one of my students. Though I've been teaching many years now, this actually hasn't happened before -- I've never taught a person (or the child of a person) who is also a close friend. I have had clients with whom I've struck up a friendship, but with most of my clients, it's pretty much a business relationship.

I'm just wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of. I'd be interested in hearing about any of your experiences with this situation. I have a very slight concern about mixing a business relationship with a personal one.

I should add that I wouldn't have any worries about taking on this student outside of this one concern. Both parents are very involved and responsible in their child's life, and I'm sure they'll be completely cooperative. The mother has taught piano as well (just a few students) and has a great understanding of what it takes to make piano lessons effective. The child is open to the idea of me as the piano teacher.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

piano teacher, composer for film and games
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
How much do you value the friendship?

Seriously, this is fraught with potential problems. Are you planning to charge? Forget it. Money issues will build walls between friends faster than anything I can think of.

Missed lessons, not practicing, are just two additional problems you'll encounter.

I'd highly recommend you "change your mind" and tell the family that after further reflection and the advice of colleagues that "you value our friendship too much to jeopardize it." Be prepared to recommend some alternate teachers.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
How much do you value the friendship?

Seriously, this is fraught with potential problems. Are you planning to charge? Forget it. Money issues will build walls between friends faster than anything I can think of.

Missed lessons, not practicing, are just two additional problems you'll encounter.

I'd highly recommend you "change your mind" and tell the family that after further reflection and the advice of colleagues that "you value our friendship too much to jeopardize it." Be prepared to recommend some alternate teachers.

I agree with John. As my dad used to say, "don't mix business with pleasure". He was right.

Piano Teacher
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
How well do you compartmentalize your relationships?

I've taught two kids (siblings) who are children of my very good friends. The parents are great people, but the kids are some of the worst students you can imagine: zero motivation, zero memory, and zero talent. I clearly didn't want to teach them, but I felt bad turning them away (they also drove far, far distances each way to have lessons with me). Similarly, the parents were too nice to quit lessons or take their lessons to teachers who live 3 miles away from their home. The drudgery dragged out for six interminable years, until the kids hit high school and the parents realized that it's not just piano they're bad at.

That being said, I'm still good friends with these parents. But the experience of teaching their children was somewhat painful.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What everybody has said so far!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I think you have to decide that you will have a totally different mindset when teaching children of close friends.

Do you have a strict makeup lesson policy? You'll have to be more flexible. Do you enforce late fees for parents paying their tuition after the due date? You won't be able to do that with a friend. Missed lessons? Lesson changes? Students showing up late? All of the stuff that bugs us to pieces as teachers..... you'll have to pretty much 'go with the flow' because she's your friend.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
But the experience of teaching their children was somewhat painful.

An understatement, I suspect! Time tends to dull memories of excruciating pain.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
My experiences have been quite different, and positive. I have taught piano to friends, and I have taught piano to children of friends, and both can work just fine.

What the warnings are about, of course, are when the teaching doesn't go well and you wish to extricate yourself, or when there are discomforts related to money or missed lessons. I'd say to be sure to adopt a professional relationship regarding those 45 minutes a week - at first almost an overly professional relationship regarding those 45 minutes a week - but also don't forget to laugh about it with the family. Don't lessen your friendship, in other words.

You might have a discussion with your friends in advance about the possible pitfalls to commencing this teaching relationship. Then make it clear that you will try this just for one season, to see how it goes, and that you reserve the right to end it, in favor of the friendship.

Life is potentially messier when you mix business and pleasure, but that's not necessarily a reason to avoid it. It's not much different than living in a small town, where you are buddies with your insurance agent, your farm implement dealer, and your parish priest. And where you are the only piano teacher.

C
C
I agree with Peter. In my own experience the majority of my studio over the years has been comprised of the children of many of my good friends from church and also neighbours. It has generally worked out and has been a joy and privilege to teach these families. I also liken it to what would occur teaching in a small town where everyone knows everyone, where the neighbour lady is your piano teacher etc.

That being said, the pitfalls are as follows in my experience...

If a friend complains about finances it feels awkward because I know I am on their payroll. What I've learned is that people make choices. So at first I felt guilty for taking my friend's money when they were so tight....but eventually I began to realize they would buy a new couch, go out to the movies more then we would, buy more clothes then I would etc. etc.....and I realized that I didn't need to feel guilty about any of the money they were paying me (which I work very hard for). If they choose to send their kid for piano lessons....it will cost $$. Simple as that.

Sometimes I have held back on saying things more bluntly....because I want to be careful to uphold their friendship.... But I'm a people-pleaser by nature, so this is naturally a bit of my personality. I do realize I need to be careful not to sacrifice being honest and clear with students and parents.

I think the biggest thing that has affected my studio is that I feel a greater need to be flexible like another poster mentioned. In other words I don't follow my studio policy as closely as I may with others. I bend over backwards for these good friends to reschedule make-up lessons...which they have been VERY appreciative of. I also had one friend who was notoriously late paying tuition....which ended up feeling awkward at times when I had to keep reminding...but I stuck to my ground and it worked out fine.

I have not lost any friends through the process. It has generally enhanced my relationship with these families as I have built special relationships with these kids over the many many years I have taught them. One of my friends switched her son over to another teacher from our church because she wanted a different style then mine. And that is okay. It hurt. But I'm a big girl and just had to get thicker skin. smile Over the years there have been a number of kids that have dropped piano because they weren't wanting to put in the effort required...and that is okay too.

I present myself professionally to my friends from the start. They know this is my business, my income, my speciality. And so far it has worked out fine.

And on a side note, I have found that many of my clients have become my friends over the many many years of teaching them. They live in my neighbourhood, attend my own kid's schools, attend the same church, visit the same parks etc. etc. So eventually some of the same above issues come into play even with these clients....

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Welcome to the board, Christina. What a candid yet optimistic post!

C
C
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Welcome to the board, Christina. What a candid yet optimistic post!

Thanks Peter smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Peter, things may be considerably different north of the border. Here, a large part of the population consider piano teachers merely hobbyists, not people who are earning a living. For years, long before I reached so called "retirement" age, people would make statements like, "Wow, you teach piano? And what is your regular job?" The reason, I suspect, is that in times past, and perhaps even today, many people taught to earn pocket change. Personally, I'm reluctant to teach friends or their children or grandchildren, as I don't want to treat them as clients. I would not want to have to send an arrears account to a collection agency, for example, and I really don't want to teach for free. If done correctly, it's hard work, and my efforts are deserving the fees I charge.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Makes sense what you say, John. You've had a full studio without teaching friends, and perhaps fewer awkward moments.

R
R
I'm surprised at how negative some of the responses are. (Maybe my friends are just different than theirs?) I would never worry about someone I took on who was a friend trying to sneak around paying somehow... they would be fully aware this is a business relationship, and would be held to the same standards as my other students in terms of paying, practicing, etc. (For example, lessons would cease if they "weren't able" to pay.) I definitely agree you ought to have a discussion upfront where you talk with them about your concerns about this new relationship, and just make sure they are on the same page in agreeing that you won't be able to give them any special treatment due to your relationship.

I'm simply not friends with people who are dishonest or would try to take advantage of a situation like this, and if teaching their child caused me to find out that was the case, then so be it; I wouldn't consider it a great loss.

I've never actually taught someone who was previously a friend, but it has come up once or twice and I wouldn't hesitate to do it (Both times it fell through for other reasons.) It seems a good situation for both parties, IMHO, you *already* have the relationship of trust. They don't have to wonder if you are molesting their kid, and you don't have to wonder if their check is going to bounce, etc. I have, however, a couple times over the years found myself actually *becoming* friends with the parent or family. I don't quite see how that is so different, and why that would be fine but teaching someone who is already a friend is not recommended? Should you stop teaching someone if your relationship were to ever begin to include social activities? (Rhetorical question - I think absolutely not.)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by red-rose
I'm surprised at how negative some of the responses are. (Maybe my friends are just different than theirs?)

Hi red rose. I'm not sure whether you're a teacher or not, as you haven't identified yourself as one. However, life experiences often are contrary to our idealistic notions. For many of us, this is one situation where this is all too true. We went in wearing rose colored glasses and came out sadder but wiser. Generally speaking I don't think we're being negative, we're being forthright. There's a difference.

There is also a matter of what you charge for your services. Many teachers grossly undercharge, so when a friend is slow to pay, it's of little consequence, at least in the mind of the debtor. There is also the issue of people over-extending themselves, not intentionally, but through lack of planning or poor planning. Large corporations and government agencies are the first to be paid, simply because they have the leverage to enforce payment, while small businesses are always at the end of the line. This is a chronic problem for small businesses, not just piano teachers.

R
R
I'm surprised at how negative some of the responses are. (Maybe my friends are just different than theirs?)

Hi red rose. I'm not sure whether you're a teacher or not, as you haven't identified yourself as one.

Really?
would be held to the same standards as my other students

I've been teaching for almost 10 years, and fortunately have not had any of the experiences to which you seem to refer regarding idealism or rose-colored glasses. I'm pretty realistic in my expectations, and don't have a problem being forthright with people when necessary. (or not necessary...) And so far my piano-teaching relationships and experiences have not been disappointing in the slightest. I'm sorry yours seem to have been.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Hi red rose. I'm not sure whether you're a teacher or not, as you haven't identified yourself as one.

Really?
would be held to the same standards as my other students

I've been teaching for almost 10 years, and fortunately have not had any of the experiences to which you seem to refer regarding idealism or rose-colored glasses. I'm pretty realistic in my expectations, and don't have a problem being forthright with people when necessary. (or not necessary...) And so far my piano-teaching relationships and experiences have not been disappointing in the slightest. I'm sorry yours seem to have been.

Yes, really. The reason I didn't know for certain is because if your are a teacher, you have ignored the simple requirements of the forum for all professionals to identify themselves as such. If you overlook something that simple, one has to wonder what else you might overlook.

Those of us who have encountered difficulties with the teaching of friends, which was the OPs inquiry, have noted our cautions. If yours have been positive, then bully for you.

R
R

Yes, really. The reason I didn't know for certain is because if your are a teacher, you have ignored the simple requirements of the forum for all professionals to identify themselves as such. If you overlook something that simple, one has to wonder what else you might overlook.

My apologies. Where is this requirement stated? And when/how does one identify themselves as such? It seems only a percentage of people have any sort of description or identifier as their signature, so obviously not only is this not something that is enforced regularly, but it's not something "so simple to overlook" that you need to go as far as using it as an insult against me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

My apologies. Where is this requirement stated? And when/how does one identify themselves as such? It seems only a percentage of people have any sort of description or identifier as their signature, so obviously not only is this not something that is enforced regularly, but it's not something "so simple to overlook" that you need to go as far as using it as an insult against me.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...%20Pros%20-%20READ%20THI.html#Post962149

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Look at the Piano Teachers Forum main page. Read the 4th subject from the top, Piano Industry Pros - READ THIS. In my book, teachers are professionals.

Please do not take directness as an insult. It's not intended as such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission