Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2136094 - 08/20/13 04:04 PM placing a digital piano next to a radiator
nish81 Offline

hi all smile

so I'm shopping around for my first digital piano. unfortunately in my tiny london flat the only available space is a wall with the radiator attached to the side. I'm aware that this is definitely less than ideal, but I was wondering whether anyone could tell me whether damage to the digital piano would be likely to occur, and if so what type of damage? Is there any way I can make this work better, eg by putting some card wrapped in foil between the piano and the radiator? and would it matter if I bought a portable DP like the yamaha P105 as opposed to a non-portable one like the yamaha YDP162?

all advice is much appreciated, i'm dying to own a digital piano here after leaving my acoustic behind at home a few years ago, but this is literally the only free space in my room..

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2136101 - 08/20/13 04:13 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Hi nish81,

This has been discussed in the past. Some threads might be helpful such as this one:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2019678/Can_i_place_a_digital_piano_cl.html

Or type in "radiator" in the Google customer search on the top left side.

#2136116 - 08/20/13 04:38 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
First option is to turn the radiator off, and use a small fan heater or similar elsewhere in the room.

Second option is to get a friend to suggest room rearrangement.

If not ....

Buy a small cheap thermometer and place it on a chair/table/stand next to the radiator. My guess it probably won't go above 25C so all will be fine.

But I would not put a wood/MDF based console next to it.

I would consider putting a plastic or metal cased slab next to it, a cheaper entry level, so maybe the P105, but would then expect a potentially shorter life of something. Or maybe not. Mitigate the effects of heat by placing a board or curtain at the back of the unit and stand.

#2136126 - 08/20/13 04:50 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Go Plastic! Shouldn`t have a prob, if the heat isn`t scorching hot.

""

#2136135 - 08/20/13 04:59 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: peterws]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
If the heating vent is underneath the piano, the piano is going to get hot. That would be really bad for a wooden (acoustic) piano -- wood dries out and cracks. Not good for a console digipiano, either.

For a "slab" digipiano with plastic case, the extra heat means that the electronics are going to "age" faster, and the plastic case is going to degrade faster. Not deadly, but not good, either.

A small fan under the piano, or between the piano and the heating vent. to increase the air circulation, would help a lot.

"Computer fans" are fairly cheap, very quiet, and will run on any 12-volt DC power supply. That's what I'd use. I have some I've mounted on sheets of Masonite ("pressedboard", I think is the generic term) to increase their effectiveness.

. Charles

#2136139 - 08/20/13 05:00 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: peterws]
nish81 Offline

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Hi nish81,

This has been discussed in the past. Some threads might be helpful such as this one:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2019678/Can_i_place_a_digital_piano_cl.html

Or type in "radiator" in the Google customer search on the top left side.

Thanks Marko - I did actually see that thread, but I thought I might get some more answers with a new thread. I also thought naming the model I'm interested in might allow people to give me some more info

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
First option is to turn the radiator off, and use a small fan heater or similar elsewhere in the room.

Buy a small cheap thermometer and place it on a chair/table/stand next to the radiator. My guess it probably won't go above 25C so all will be fine.

But I would not put a wood/MDF based console next to it.

I would consider putting a plastic or metal cased slab next to it, a cheaper entry level, so maybe the P105, but would then expect a potentially shorter life of something. Or maybe not. Mitigate the effects of heat by placing a board or curtain at the back of the unit and stand.

Originally Posted By: peterws
Go Plastic! Shouldn`t have a prob, if the heat isn`t scorching hot.

First option might work although an electric heater would probably be more expensive than the standard central heating radiator right?

I can't find any information on yahama's site about the YDP 162's material - do you know if it's cased with wood or MDF? or are those units more likely to be cased with plastic or something safer

#2136140 - 08/20/13 05:01 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Plastic will probably be fine if you do what you suggested and shield it from direct heat. It's wooden things (fancy wooden keys) that shrink with dry heat or expand with moisture (causing looseness or binding). Of course electronics don't like moisture in general. A fan in the general area would help circulation and lower peak temperatures.

#2136174 - 08/20/13 05:49 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Something like this placed on a lower table might work if it's a lighter dp. This will give plenty of air flow underneath and also draw heat away. Just an idea.. smile

#2136192 - 08/20/13 06:32 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Isn't that a stand for a sub 10 pound laptop?

#2136204 - 08/20/13 06:55 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: nish81
hi all smile

so I'm shopping around for my first digital piano. unfortunately in my tiny london flat the only available space is a wall with the radiator attached to the side. I'm aware that this is definitely less than ideal, but I was wondering whether anyone could tell me whether damage to the digital piano would be likely to occur, and if so what type of damage? Is there any way I can make this work better, eg by putting some card wrapped in foil between the piano and the radiator? and would it matter if I bought a portable DP like the yamaha P105 as opposed to a non-portable one like the yamaha YDP162?
The cardboard covered with foil will be OK, you only need to deflect the radiant heat.

all advice is much appreciated, i'm dying to own a digital piano here after leaving my acoustic behind at home a few years ago, but this is literally the only free space in my room..

The cardboard covered with foil will be OK, you only need to deflect the radiant heat.

#2136217 - 08/20/13 07:16 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: xorbe]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: xorbe

Oh I'm sure it is... I meant something similar... Perhaps this:

#2136278 - 08/20/13 10:02 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Please don't put your piano next to a radiator!

#2136286 - 08/20/13 10:19 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: MacMacMac]
nish81 Offline

Plastic will probably be fine if you do what you suggested and shield it from direct heat. It's wooden things (fancy wooden keys) that shrink with dry heat or expand with moisture (causing looseness or binding). Of course electronics don't like moisture in general. A fan in the general area would help circulation and lower peak temperatures.

Moisture should be fine - humidity wouldnt vary too much right? A fan is a good idea - should be able to install a small electric one near it or something. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Plinky88

Oh I'm sure it is... I meant something similar... Perhaps this:

the one I have my heart set on is this one:

the whole thing is one unit (if I'm correct) so I dont think i could put it on a stand like that

if I get the cheaper P105 or something then it would be placed on a stand anyway though. I guess that would be much safer..but this sounds so much better!

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Please don't put your piano next to a radiator!

did you just want an excuse to post that photo :p

#2137323 - 08/22/13 05:17 PM Re: placing a digital piano next to a radiator [Re: nish81]
jonkertb Offline

Loc: West Central Indiana USA
Hi Nish,
Just get a piece of rigid foil backed insulation board and place it between your piano and the radiator and I believe you'll be fine. In the US that stuff comes in 4 x 8 sheets...for a couple of dollars...cut it in half and place it back to back for double thickness and your DP will be fine.
tom
Tom in Coatesville Indiana having begun this quest to play 15 March 2013. At 64 I hope I live long enough to be able to play something someone could recognize before I'm horizontal!! Found ateacher who is using my Alfred and Bastien books for adults now.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (a-z0-9, Almaviva, AndrewJCW, ajames, 42 invisible), 1502 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156239 Topics
2294576 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
Digital keyboard actions and price range question.
by Indra123
07/28/14 10:44 PM
First-time piano buyer: budget under 10k
by Michael101467
07/28/14 10:13 PM
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
07/28/14 07:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission