2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2135800 08/20/13 07:31 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm looking into summer music programs, not necessarily solely piano. Currently Morningside Music Bridge in Canada, as well as a camp at IU and one at Colburn are where I'm looking. However, any other intense precollege camp suggestions would be great! Most of the 6-week camps and whatnot are ridiculously expensive, so 3 or 4 week (or some great 2 week) camps would be great. Preferably in the US or Canada.
Also, any previous experiences with the aforementioned camps or other information would be much appreciated.
I'll be 16 next summer, if that changes anything.
Thanks so much.

Everyday is a great day.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Are you looking for something big, or just intense? They're all intense.

As a younger person, I would probably suggest that you look at something like ISOMATA in the California mountains. Excellent teachers, lots of chances to perform, and lots of people your own age, not so terribly competitive or nasty.

Tangelwood or Aspen are a lot bigger, a lot older age-wise, a lot more serious, and much less forgiving.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Check out the Summer Piano Academy of the Victoria Conservatory of Music.

Summer Piano Academy Scroll down, click on "Piano."

I have participated in this summer program for over a decade and can supply detailed information if you wish. The program can be as intensive as you want it to be, and there are many performance opportunities.

Two other participants in this forum have attended regularly over the last few years and would, I am sure, be willing to offer their insights.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have attended the VCM Summer Piano Academy that Bruce mentioned. It is the best 2 weeks of my year. See my PM.

Best regards,

Deborah
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hello. I went to Indiana University Piano Academy twice, as well as Brevard Music Festival twice. I have friends that went to the Colburn camp that you speak of. Send me a PM for details, but from my experience with the first two I named, and from what I heard of Colburn, they are all great, although I think Brevard is better when you're in college than high school (less strict, less restrictions, hehe).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not to totally derail the thread, but on a related note, does anybody know of anything similar for adults? I was thinking of picking up that new book by Alan Rusbridger about restarting piano and the neuroplasticity of the adult mind, and the introduction refers to a piano "retreat" he had taken in France.

So, I'm curious to know if there are week long "intensives" for adults like this in the U.S.? I would kill for some one-on-one access to a good music faculty, and the ability to concentrate on piano for a week or possibly two weeks.

As the mother of a young violinist, I have seen lots of "camps" and "summer intensives" for middle school through high school kids, obviously, but it never occurred to me that such a thing might exist for adults, too.

Even better would be something in the Middle Atlantic region. Ideally Philadelphia specifically but considering this seems not to be an enormous market, I should probably not hold my breath for something local.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oooooh!!

http://summerfest.curtis.edu/programs/chamber-music/

Local, fascinating, and most importantly, does not require an audition, which I surely would fall far short of. Apparently all levels are welcome to register and performance groups are simply organized by ability.

Four days, and I only have to take two days off from work to do it, too. Repertoire is assigned 7 weeks in advance.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Not to totally derail the thread, but on a related note, does anybody know of anything similar for adults?
Yes, yes! The VCM 2 week program that BruceD mentioned. The VCM program takes pianists of all levels and ages and puts you in groups depending on the level of your repertoire. You do not have to audition. I would guess we had pianists ranging from ages 6 to 65+. There are a variety of daily master classes which range in size from 5 to 18 people. The program includes 2 private lessons, but you can easily sign up for more. I actually had 5 private lessons over the course of two weeks. The faculty consists of extraordinarily talented, highly skilled conservatory teachers. The atmosphere is welcoming, non-competitive and quite jolly.

This summer we met a fascinating man who always wanted to learn to play the piano so on his vacation time, he decided to come to Victoria. He showed up at the academy as a raw beginner, was warmly welcomed and even performed a small duet with one of the teachers on the 9 foot grand! Lovely man.

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oooh, intriguing. In fact, my daughter could do the strings program at the same time.

Wish it weren't clear on the other side of North America, though.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Are you looking for something big, or just intense? They're all intense

Tangelwood or Aspen are a lot bigger, a lot older age-wise, a lot more serious, and much less forgiving.

Something where I'm around music at all times, immersed. Master classes, tons of lessons and performance opportunities.
On Victoria, never heard of it! How many kids? Is it good for a 16 year old? Are most people day trippers?

Everyday is a great day.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianorigami
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Are you looking for something big, or just intense? They're all intense

Something where I'm around music at all times, immersed. Master classes, tons of lessons and performance opportunities.
On Victoria, never heard of it! How many kids? Is it good for a 16 year old? Are most people day trippers?

I'm not sure what you are asking, but some of your questions can be answered by following the link I gave in my first post on this thread.

"How many kids?" What does that mean? The Summer Piano Academy had about 75 people this year and, as "gooddog" mentioned in her post, they were from all age groups, a few young people, a fair number of teen-agers and quite a few adults, young adults to senior citizens.

"Good for a 16 year old?" Without any further information about the 16 year old, I would qualify that with a "Yes, but...." It depends what the 16 year old (or the parent of the 16 year old) is looking for. Keep in mind that it is a two-week program (although one can sign up for only one week) and how you and the 16 year old feel about his/her abilitiy to be on his/her own without supervision in a strange city. Accommodation and meals are available on campus, and it's even possible that an adult might even help "mentor" the teen-ager without taking on responsibilities, of course, but this is not a "summer camp" where supervision is offered to under-age students.

"Day-trippers?" The local people attend daily classes, lessons and performances while the out-of-town adults stay in the dorms on the campus of the University of Victoria where the Academy is held.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
http://pianoretreat.wordpress.com/

Last month was our 8th weeklong adult summer piano workshop held at Williams College in NW Massachusetts. People find us by word of mouth, or here on PW, and seldom attend only once. Indeed, plenty of participants join us year after year.

We accept 20 pianists, first come, first served, without audition. Late beginners; intermediates; very advanced performers - we enjoy the mix.

There are a couple other regional retreats like ours (e.g., Summerkeys in Maine and Sonata in Vermont). I'm happy to answer any questions, by private message or email.

P
OP Offline
P
BruceD,

I'm definitely looking for more of a supervised summer "camp" with similarly aged kids only. I don't doubt that I COULD handle the Victoria atmosphere, but I also want to enjoy camp life and make friends of the high school age.

Thanks!

Everyday is a great day.
A
A
BruceD,

I'm definitely looking for more of a supervised summer "camp" with similarly aged kids only. I don't doubt that I COULD handle the Victoria atmosphere, but I also want to enjoy camp life and make friends of the high school age.

Thanks!

Tanglewood for precollege (high school only) is hosted by Boston University, called Boston University Tanglewood Institute. It has 2 sessions, each 3 weeks and has 15 students. Some students do both sessions, so it takes a total of about 25 students. The program is quite structured, unlike Aspen or Bowdoin. 80-90% students at Aspen and Bowdoin are college or graduate students. Tanglewood is competitive. The acceptance rate was about 10% last year for pianists. For Aspen or Bowdoin, you are auditioned for a specific teacher's studio (this is not the case for BUTI). Acceptance into some highly demanded teachers' studios at Aspen and Bowdoin can be very difficult. On the other hand, some studios whose teachers have a smaller names can be relatively easier to get in. Because Aspen and Bowdoin's target students are college students, their programs are far less structured than the one at BUTI. Aspen and Bowdoin's websites make this quite clear. It all depends on how structured you want to have. BTW, both Aspen and Bowdoin have 2 sessions. One session at Aspen is 4 weeks, whereas one session at Bowdoin is 3 weeks. Bowdoin is quieter. BUTI and Aspen have tons of performances, thus more expensive for participating. Overall, they all can be great for you if your needs are in line with their offers.

Last edited by ABC Vermonter; 08/22/13 09:15 PM.
E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
For Two Snowflakes: If you want to focus on piano exclusively, as opposed to chamber music, please take a look at the Sonatas programs in Vermont (5 day and 10 day intensives for adults) as an option - open to all levels. http://www.sonatina.com/

Working on: Schumann, Faschingsschwank aus Wien Op. 26; Mozart Piano Sonata No. 10 in C major, K. 330; Grieg, 25 Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances, 0p. 17 (selections)
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ABC Vermonter
BruceD,

Thanks!

Tanglewood and Aspen have tons of performances, thus more expensive for participating. Overall, they all can be great for you if your needs are in line with their offers.

Definitely amazing! Tanglewood would be fantastic... Just so expensive!

Everyday is a great day.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission