Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2136211 - 08/20/13 07:09 PM Is the Krons X ripe for purchase yet
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I own a RD700NX - so am a bit spoilt action wise. I find the sounds mostly ok, the synth is boring to me and the tiny screen annoying. ITs build quality is great but its a drag to move it around - so it stays in the studio.
I have often felt tempted by the Kronus. I played the Kronus back to back with the NX when I bought the NX.

However the Kronus seems to be the future - well almost..

when I last looked it sported:

Looooooong load up times

No 64 bit support for software

Poor and non transportable keys (unless you use little bits of cardboard they recommend!)

Tacky build quality featuring a joystick that was just begging to be knocked off

Noisy fan (not talking groupies here)

However:

Great interface
Great flexibility
Great storage options
enough faders for drawbars

Some excellent sounds esp electric pianos.
A good but perhaps thinnish piano

Questions:

Its been improved, what's better?

Are any of its demons still present?

Is it ready for prime time or is it still a fantastic but deeply flawed creation?

Zero

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2136415 - 08/21/13 05:21 AM Re: Is the Krons X ripe for purchase yet [Re: ZeroZero]
Petro Offline

Loc: North Land
OK, not for publicity purposes or boasting but to explain my right for the qualified answer ))) - at the moment I use 3 setups as follows: FP-80/Kronos61/Motif at home, Kronos X73/SW at our studio and RD-100/Krome for small gigs. FP-80 was bought recently instead of RD-700NX because I'd like to play a piano with easy approach to the synth keys and screen, as close as possible to each other so I put my Kronos straight ON the piano body (using a single X stand with some homemade additional back support). RD700 wouldn't allow this with those knobs all the top around.

Having said this I assure you that you are on the right way, Roland piano+Kronos station make a very good couple indeed.

As for the demons:
1.Loading isn't loooooong, it is just looong, nothing new in the X, I have to endure it once a day. I wonder why they didn't "invent" a hibernation on the PC-based Kronos thus far? There is a hope for the future though.
2. I am using Windows-7 x64 Samsung Slate Series 7 PC with both my Kronoses and had no issue with any SW so far...
3. The weighted keys had many issues for a very special HW glitch, which is fully cured in the X. Moreover, some people suspect (me too) that the hidden goal of the X "upgrade" was that keybed problem. Anyway, the X 73/88 hammer keybed is new (slightly different even in action) and has no flaws AFAIK. The light 61 version has been quite good since dawn.
4. Joystick? what's wrong with it? It came from the previous Korg' tops, reliable and convenient enough IMO.
5. Those noisy fans apart from excited girlz - I replaced the one in my home K61 with a quiet one. It took about one hour and wouldn't break warranty - I can always put the original one back, the connector is the same usual 3-pin. X73 is quieter but as soon as I have time I'll cure it as well.

Hope it helps

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
173 registered (accordeur, acortot, A Guy, 36251, 46 invisible), 1803 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153544 Topics
2250255 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
2 minutes 28 seconds ago
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission