Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 26 of 51 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
#1574038 - 12/10/10 01:40 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"Better than a mouse" strikes me as highly lukewarm, as an endorsement. Is it obvious to anyone but me--- he was rummaging under the piano hoping to be able to look up your dress. And of course, his handsome face could hardly do him any good if it was under the piano where it could not be seen. However, his attitude could still be felt.

This is not a winning combination. But--- oh well, pretty is as pretty does, and if the photos came out well, the photographer's manner will be forgotten soon enough.

I don't know about a book chapter, but I think we could find a place for him as a "Wedding Jeopardy" question. ("I'll take Obnoxious Photographers for 200, Alex." "And the answer is: the Duchess of York."

Let us leave it there...)

I have let a lot of juicy anniversaries go by unmentioned in the past week or two--- for example, the invention of the neon sign--- but there are a couple of upcoming special events somewhat worth mentioning. A solar coronal mass ejection is predicted to cause a spectacular display of Northern lights over the next few days (and that's better than a neon sign any time). Actually, the aurora is kind of a special case of the same principle. The Geminid meteor shower, one of the best of the year, is approaching its maximum on December 13. Interesting if you like fireballs. And--- did you know? I didn't--- that there is an asteroid named for Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, the noted French builder of pipe organs: 5184 Cavaillé-Coll. I happened to learn this--- not by browsing the JPL Small-Body Database Browser--- but because today is the birthday (in 1822) of organist Cesar Franck.

There are a lot of reasons that 'under the piano' is the wrong place for the photographer.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1574435 - 12/11/10 01:25 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
I wonder if he took photos under the piano. Maybe the photographer has a foot fetish and liked the idea of a naked foot (with Chanel rouge-noir polished toes, I might add) in a high-heeled sandal on the pedal.

I see England, I see France, . . . the skirt was long and voluminous, so I doubt he got a look at much more than my toes.

I think he just needed a place to store his gear, and since I nixed the top of the piano pile-up, he went for the floor. It gets tight in the hall during one of these big shindigs and he wanted easy access to his stuff.

And I agree, Clef— that photographer should get out from under the Yamaha and go check out what's happening in the winter sky. My goodness, that sounds like quite a show. Much better than neon.

My big annual Concert in Candlelight is on Sunday. We are sold out. This is the one that got cancelled last year due to a blizzard. Weather report looks good for this weekend, but you never know.
RHYTHM: A Novel
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1574818 - 12/11/10 04:09 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
gdguarino Offline

Loc: New York City
Life is like crawling under a piano. You never know what you'll get.

I would have been the late Seventies, or early Eighties. I was helping to set up a small P.A. system in a large disco. They were hosting Peter Allen's birthday party late that night.

The main dance floor was on the lower level. The upper level had a railing that overlooked the dance floor. One of several bars was located up there, and at least for that night there was a gleaming white grand piano set up in front of it. I believe the small sound system was probably to allow the guest of honor to perform up there, rather than through the fairly distant "house" system.

I had to crawl under the piano to run a wire. Although the party was not to be until much later, a smattering of guests had already arrived. I backed out from under the piano and stood up. As I turned around I was face to face with a man maybe 6'2", head shaved bald, in a strapless electric-blue evening gown. I noted that he was drinking a glass of wine, which had likely been served by the muscular bartender in the French Maid's outfit.

A quick scan around the place revealed quite a variety of elegant female attire, much of which was occupied by actual women. It was shaping up to be quite the shindig.

I was working that night at a different club doing live sound. It was late when I finished, but I was sure the Peter Allen party would still be in full swing. I grabbed a screwdriver and a roll of duct tape on my way out.

When I got back to the disco there was still a mob outside trying to get in. This place was so hot at the time that it didn't even have a sign outside. Naturally it was always jammed.

I went up to the door and was stopped by the requisite behemoth of a man, asking if I had an invitation. I said no, holding the tape and tool within view, someone had called me about a problem with the sound system I had put in earlier.

I added, "But it's late man, I'd just as soon go home..."

"Uh, no.." he said a little nervously, "you'd better take a look".

I was never a club guy, even in my tender years. But this was quite a bash. I didn't stick around very long.

#1575138 - 12/12/10 04:47 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like the Limelight.

Love this story. Loved Peter Allen. Love New York. Love your posts!
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1575574 - 12/12/10 08:15 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
gdguarino Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Piano Girl RMG
Sounds like the Limelight.

Underground. Was Limelight around then?

#1575672 - 12/13/10 12:10 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Piano Girl RMG

And I agree, Clef— that photographer should get out from under the Yamaha and go check out what's happening in the winter sky. My goodness, that sounds like quite a show. Much better than neon.

Meteors yes, but aurora probably no.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin and saw plenty of fantastic northern light shows.

My kids were born in Alabama and Virginia and have never had the chance.

When my employer moved me to Germany, I checked the latitude and found we were north of International Falls. Great! The kids will get a chance to see something really amazing.

It turns out that magnetic north is tilted considerably from true north. Where we lived in Germany was far north in latitude, but it was fairly southerly relative to the magnetic north pole. Alas, no northern lights were ever to be seen.

No piano gigs this Christmas, but I played trombone at today's concert, and next Sunday I'm directing handbells, playing recorder (they're expecting an alto but I'm going to surprise them with the 'nino), and singing the Mendelsohn "There Shall A Star" in a vocal quartet.

#1575761 - 12/13/10 06:18 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
RayzKane Offline

Hello all, I have read and enjoyed every word of this 26 page
thread over a period of several days. It’s fun to see so many
different writing styles and senses of humor.

I’ve only played classical guitar at weddings and funerals.
One time I had to set my instrument down and rush to the
altar to give away the bride! I’ve given away the bride 3
or 4 times. I’ve even married the bride a few times (different
brides of course).

Ok, here’s my wedding story: A few weeks ago I attended the
wedding of a niece in beautiful Lake Tahoe, Nevada (USA).
While we were all waiting in the chapel, a loop of several
typical solo piano weddings songs were streaming over the
P.A. system. So, to pass the time and to show off a little, I
began reciting the name of the song, the composer, and a
little history. I was on a pretty good roll because most of
songs were well known, like Pachelbel’s Canon in D, etc.

At one point Erroll Garner’s classic offering started playing.
One of my relatives jumped up and said, “Hey, I know that
one!”

I asked: “Oh yeah? What is it?”

He replied: It’s “Play Misty for Me” by Clint Eastwood.

It was probably sacrilegious for me to laugh so hard right
there in the chapel, but I just couldn’t help myself….

Ray

#1575859 - 12/13/10 10:31 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Excellent story, Ray! I suspect you'll think of a few more, given your experience.

I've not yet had to give away the bride, although I have had to give away my earrings when the bride panicked because she had forgotten her jewelry. She mailed them back to me.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1575946 - 12/13/10 01:52 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
RayzKane Offline

Thanks Robin!

If anyone hits the lottery from the following advice, I fully expect my cut....

I practiced and taught Chinese Feng Shui for about 10 years. It is considered to be VERY GOOD LUCK for the bride to give you something.

Now, if the bride gave something to some of the groomsmen a few months before the wedding, that does not count.

I got a small flower from the bouquet. Guess what! I found this forum just a few weeks later. So, I guess it must be working.
:-)

In the 1990's when I was a locksmith, I had printed on my business cards: "Chastity Belts a Specialty". I'm not saying if I got any calls or not, but I will state emphatically that none of the calls were from husbands.

Ray

#1576104 - 12/13/10 06:58 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Maybe the belts were intended for the husbands.

That's some wedding present--- sure to make a real sensation at any bridal shower.

Sounds like you're doing better, Greg--- I can just hear it in the way you're pushing the electrons; they seem to be jumping to do your bidding. I won't say that I can never get the electrons to dance, but they can be stubborn as an old mule that's dug in its hooves and sat down in the traces.

I'm going in for a knee replacement in two weeks, so I hope I fare as well as you and can keep my spirits up as you have done.

Hey--- that couple of days in the hospital would be a good time to read "Piano Girl" again... as long as I don't laugh so hard my staples come out.

Edited by Jeff Clef (12/14/10 12:25 AM)

#1577646 - 12/16/10 01:34 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Maybe the belt was intended for the photographer.

Clef, I'll be thinking about you while you're recovering. I know that's rough surgery, but I also know that the recovery will be swift and you'll be so happy to have the new knee.
Hey, what's with you and Greg? Can't have my main guys sidelined for too long!

Resolution: I WILL start taking photos of my brides with me at the piano. How I wish I had started doing this years ago.

Next year's brides are already circling the lobby of the castle. This time of year we have lots of brides-to-be out shopping around for locations. Business cards are placed on the piano, special edition CD is ready to go.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1579074 - 12/17/10 10:48 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Excellent surgeon and medical team--- of course I'm a bit worried about the recovery phase, but not about those guys. The oral surgeon who took my wisdom teeth out was such a comedian--- all these jokes and dry witticisms during the procedure and I couldn't even laugh, let alone come back at him. Crunch crunch crunch, and it was all over. And I went home with these holes in my jawbone to get well on my own. And so it goes.

I asked my piano teacher, who plays for cash at church services (but is a concert performer at heart), if he ever does weddings or funerals.

"Since I started playing at this church, I do," he replied.

"More funerals than weddings, I would imagine," I said (I've been there and have seen the members).

"Well..." he replied modestly.

"Funerals are better," I said. "They never bother you at a funeral. Whereas, at weddings..."

"Oh--- I never speak to the bride," he assured me.

"That's right," I said. "Or the matron of honor, either."

"No... no."

He was tired of my Beethoven, so I was playing a hymn. Bach, O Sacred Head. Easy--- for the choir; tricky for the accompanist, but he can make a good lesson out of any kind of music. He was showing me the legato fingering. "Presto. Too fast," I said. He slowed down to tempo di marcia. "Still too fast," I said, "You have to allow room for the tears to fall during each measure."

I tried it over myself. "You're cheating," he remarked, "but it works ok."

I could not get the picture out of my imagination of Dr. Albert Schweitzer, playing Bach for the natives in the jungles of the Belgian Congo--- probably, this very piece. It was too much; I could not think of the Congo and the notes and the fingering all at once.

Bach became blind at the end of his life because of diabetes, Dr. Schweitzer said, and died following a diabetic stroke. I have never read this anywhere else, but as a medical doctor and a Bach scholar, who would know better. If only he had had long enough to finish the last number of The Art of the Fugue. His sons patched it up with a number written earlier; the release was such a flop that the engravers' plates were broken up and sold for scrap. No goblets full of louis d'or for this great work. So the greater light is extinguished, and the lesser lights shine on. But, we lesser lights can learn at least to have our blood sugar checked and watch our figures... as well as to use the legato chorale fingering and leave room for the tears to fall between the measures... in their due season, of course.

That way, we can afford to laugh when we visit the dentist.

Edited by Jeff Clef (12/17/10 10:49 PM)

#1579181 - 12/18/10 02:43 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Room for the tears to fall? How beautiful is that? I LOVE your teacher, Clef. What a great post.

This lesser light bailed on the gig last night due to a ridiculous amount of snow in the area. I called a pianist who lives close to the castle (walking distance) to sub for me. I'm still feeling guilty, but I think being older and wiser means not risking life and limb to go play a cocktail piano job.

Here is a video that just came to my attention---a photographer used my music to score his collection of winter photographs. No brides, but lots of pretty pictures. And I like the space in this composition---no tears falling, but certainly room to breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6OwbBETBo\

Happy weekend, everyone!
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1579378 - 12/18/10 11:37 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"And if you're going to play hymns," my teacher continued, "you have to learn to play with more force. You're leading the singing; you have to be heard above---"

"I know the guy you're talking about," I interrupted. "You have to play loud enough to drown out---"

"I was going to say," he said, with some asperity (but he couldn't help smiling; he knows who I mean), "they have to hear you, or they can get lost."

"Oh yes, I've heard that," I replied. "Someone with a loud voice can drag everyone else down with them if they make a mistake."

"Well... maybe some of the singers. Not the accompanist, though."

"I've seen choral directors go down, too. Yes." Yes, indeed: it was Suzanne. She could sing all right; that wasn't the problem. She was naughty and scampy, and happened to catch the eye of Marty and me across the choir loft at just the wrong moment, during one of those lyrics that can be taken the wrong way; unfortunately, during a bombastic, forte passage. A laughing fit can be nearly impossible to recover from, especially in the wrong place at the wrong time, and especially with a deep breath taken in. One is helpless. Add a scarlet blush and there goes plausible deniability.

"And playing louder helps your muscle memory. If you make a mistake, you may as well make a loud one."

There was no denying that. For choral accompaniment, you can blow the notes and get by, but if you drop the beat it's fatal. The only thing that's worse is to have the risers collapse. In fact, the one resembles the other.

The youth chorus is conducted by a Russian emigrant. I have observed that she has a forceful manner. I wondered out loud what happens when things don't go her way.

"Well..." he said. "Well. She intends that things should go her way."

"Hmmmm," I replied. "Yes."

There's a story about a Russian piano teacher. Screaming was heard by students waiting outside the door of the practice room. Eventually, the door opened and the student left, in tears. The teacher stepped out, with a cheerful smile. "Oh well, who cares about a little screaming," he remarked, "as long as he gets to be a good pianist."

Oh, God--- my surgeon is Russian. This may not be a good story to remember just now.

The lunar eclipse on the winter solstice (the morning of Dec. 21 for east coast viewers; the evening of Dec. 20 for west coast skywatchers) is rare. The eclipse has not occurred on the solstice since at least the Year One (no, really--- an astronomer looked it up).**[correction: there was one, on Dec. 21, 1638]** Dress up like a Russian and you can watch it quite comfortably--- I've been wanting one of those fur hats for a long time. European readers are excused from the exercise; the eclipse can only be viewed in full there from the most northerly latitudes. Viewers in the Americas, north of the equator, are not excused: we will expect to see you there... dressed like a Russian--- at least, with a warm hat. Fur is... you know; controversial.

Edited by Jeff Clef (12/19/10 10:59 AM)

#1579889 - 12/19/10 09:23 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
my director contantly implores me to play louder. I save my strength and fingers for actual services. She plays ridiculously loudly and it sounds awful. I suppose the music moves right along tho.

One of the best things about my little Saturday job, is that I get to gaze down upon the congregation while they think they are not being watched. I see the boyfriend stroke his girlfriend's fanny. I see boys playing video games on their cellphones. I see the tops of the heads of the older Vietnamese. They seem to be very concerned about covering their grey. They all dye their hair and are prone to hair loss on the crown. The Italians have plenty of hair and the women generally have it styled in the curled, teased and puffy hairstyles, the ones that need weekly maintenance, hairspray and those plastic rainbonnets. The Italian men sometimes dye their hair.

Lots of people come late to church and try to sneak in.

Last week the electricity to the whole church went out during the final hymn. The cantor bravely carried on and finished the verse and another refrain. A few candles were lit and they enabled the older population to exit the church without trouble. It was considerably darker in the choir loft and I had to grope to find my shoes, bag, coat and music.

The priest yelled up to me in the dark. "Mary - are you up there? On the 'Rejoice' just give two notes for an intro. Don't play the whole line. It is too confusing." Once he yelled up to me during the intro to the hymn. "Mary - Let's sing the other song.. I don't like this one. It is too high".

Good luck on your surgery Jeff.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1579942 - 12/19/10 11:08 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There's no pleasing them, is there, Apple. It's like Chapter One of Piano Girl: the manager is making energetic shusshing gestures toward the pianist, until Father Louie is struck down by a buffalo wing, and then it's "Louder, louder!" But up til now I've never heard them say, "Don't play at all--- just the first note."

#1580021 - 12/19/10 01:13 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
apple* Offline

I remember when i was 12 and had first started playing the organ at church. It actually was a wedding. They gave me the music, including Here Comes the Bride and I played it the coming Saturday.. I was paid 25$. I was then appointed head and chief organist at my church and was paid 30 dollars for two Masses every Sunday. I was terrified most of the time and really didn't understand when to come in and when to play what. The priest (who turned out to be our family's priest for all occasions) would kindly announce. "Mary - the Holy Holy". I was a bundle of raw nerves.

The good thing is that I was able to leave school for funerals. That was wonderful to pop out of class and run over to the church. I don't remember anyone ever complaining and I must have been pathetic, particularly for weddings.

#1580234 - 12/19/10 07:02 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: apple*]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: apple*
I was terrified most of the time and really didn't understand when to come in and when to play what.

I played Catholic services for nearly two years. (No, I wasn't skilled enough, but I was all they had.) And I was still never completely sure what came next.

#1580551 - 12/20/10 11:16 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
As always this thread is wonderfully entertaining.

Jeff - best wishes for your surgery and hope you have a quick recovery!

#1581272 - 12/21/10 10:11 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
apple* Offline

my Saturday congregation gave me a Christmas gift.. a box of home made Italian cookies. I am not going to play for any Christmas Masses there. All the old ladies gathered together in the back of the church and watched me open the box. They are known for their Italian cookies.

I am playing a wedding there in January. The bride is as usual, kind of high maintenance. I am going to put phone call time into my next contract. (includes one hour of phone time maybe).

Has anyone addressed this issue?

#1581587 - 12/21/10 06:05 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
apple* Offline

I thought some of you would enjoy this proposal story..

not quite Mr. Rodgers, but close .

#1581594 - 12/21/10 06:23 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: apple*]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

sweet story.

Had to share a comment made this past Sunday. I was asked to play a couple of simple tunes on recorder as part of the pageant (no dead air between shepherds!). I don't like to do unaccompanied melody; I find it tiring because the brain is forced to construct harmony. So I wrote a very simple root-fifth handbell accompaniment, and played the tunes on sopranino.

Somebody commented: That was amazing, you actually made music with a fourth grader's toy.

Well, no, not really. It's a real historic instrument dating back many centuries. But I just smiled and thanked her, no time for a lecture on period instruments.

#1582606 - 12/23/10 02:58 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Someone (not me) should publish a list of silly (and stupid) things civilians say to musicians. There are, of course some very kind and moving things as well.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1582744 - 12/23/10 10:16 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

(patting the performer's hand)
"That was lovely, dear, and I'm sure no one noticed."

#1582813 - 12/23/10 12:01 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

"Your music is just perfect. I could hardly hear it."
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1583745 - 12/25/10 08:52 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
apple* Offline

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays my wedding friends.

I played Christmas Eve Mass last nite with 800 attending and played PERFECTLY, (not so easy considering there are about 25 things to play and they all need different settings or interpretations). I successfully navigated betw/ the piano and organ without falling or making noise. I also played my self-composed postlude, a variation and explosion* upon " The Sussex Carol".

On the home front, I found GREAT gifts for the kids at garage sales this fall. Great gifts! They were ecstatic. I usually just give them money. I bought my daughter a Vera Bradley purse, the sons awesome fur covers for their beds.. one a beaver throw - absolutely gorgeous, and one a huge sheepskin cover with a brown tinge, wonderful huge robes for everyone. I found a glockenspiel for son #2, some great perfume and colognes (new, but at sales), buck knives.. lots of really good stuff. They were really surprised to get gifts. I usually let them buy their own (after they got over the Santa thing). it was a good nite.

* a virtuosic. arpeggiated chordal repetition of the theme performed on different manuals, alternating between bells and brass with lots of bass pedal. It was quite fun.

#1583788 - 12/25/10 10:59 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Apple, reading your post made me extremely happy. Way to go. Sounds like you had the perfect Christmas. Excellent.

I just finished playing for lunch at the castle. Now I'm back home and will return to play the cocktail hour this evening. Lots of lovey-dovey newly engaged folks loitering around the piano—or maybe they were hovering close to the fireplace, since it was COLD in the main hall this afternoon. Anyway, one of them asked if I play for weddings and I thought of all of you and just cracked up. I'm lining up the ducks for next season.

To those of you celebrating Christmas, I wish you a happy and musical holiday. And remember, don't eat too many cookies or the ball gown won't fit.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1583838 - 12/25/10 02:07 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Happy birthday to Isaac Newton, Rod Serling, and Karl Rove... and Jesus, of course. Some revert to the old celebration of the Saturnalia, and whatever the 'Turning of the Light' was called long before that, for it's been celebrated just forever. Others brood darkly upon where the best after-Christmas sales are likely to be, and where the lines for product returns will be shortest and employees the most gullible.

Let us not overlook the Grinch either, or the rebirth of Ebeneezer Scrooge, though I felt the unreformed Scrooge offered more of a splash of color and was a juicier part for a dramatic actor. Even Susan Lucci was able to make hay out of Scrooge, though she modernized the role by using her power and position to put the move on a handsome young family man... and them blackmailed him! Even Dickens wouldn't go so far as that, though in another Christmas novelette he had a character either get drunk and freeze on Christmas Eve, or lose his head and jump (fatally) from the bell tower of the village church, bewitched by demons who dwelt there. And froze after that. But the juiciest Christmas tale was penned by Anne Rice in The Witching Hour. Almost a thousand pages (spilling over into several sequels); I won't even attempt to synopsize it. I don't know the date of her birth, but Rod Serling would have admired her very well-crafted tale.

Congratulations, Apple, on the flawless Mass performance. Not every son can count on a beaver throw for Christmas, though many want them. It is nice to learn of the sidewalk sales in Kansas; there used to be just wonderful things at sidewalk sales in San Francisco. I never saw a glock, though I bought a classical guitar, a beautiful silver flute, an autoharp (which was a wonderful instrument to play with my tamboura--- on recordings, not both at once with the same two hands), and many fabulous items from the old days... all sold for a song.

There was lots of junk and trash on offer as well; of course one must shop carefully. Imagine my surprise when having my own sidewalk sale, to find that the junk and trash moved briskly but the nice things were all-but-ignored. Suggestive of the deep psychology of merchandising, isn't it.

Last year's Christmas music was a collection of the complete piano works of Scriabin, which I enjoyed so much I thought I'd try it again this year. So I hope Santa brought you something as nice and satisfying in its own way.

What I really want is a bell tree, though it never appears among the gifts and I really can't think of anything more useless, though enchanting.

Edited by Jeff Clef (12/25/10 02:19 PM)

#1583949 - 12/25/10 06:32 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: apple*]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Thanks for sharing your wonderful Christmas performance experience/story, Apple! thumb My favorite memory is playing a Christmas Eve service in a little church in City Island (Bronx, NY), starting with Christmas carols. I was about 19 and never played with a choir before, so they really directed me, which was a big help. I don't think more than 50 people attended the service, so I wasn't too nervous - well, okay, I was, but I must have done okay because the people in charge asked me to be the permanent organist there (the old one was leaving). smile

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALL!

#1584161 - 12/26/10 07:36 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
apple* Offline

We have our own castle here in my neighborhood.. a limestone beauty built at the turn of the century by fortunate Belgians.

the Caenen Castle

I kind of know the owner and have talked about her buying a piano. She thinks her guests come for the food and ambience. Who am I to argue tho?

I have eaten there and was dissappointed by the fake hollandaise sauce and the frozen, mixed vegetables mixed in with the fresh. People in Shawnee, Kansas are not very cosmopolitan. They wear high-heeled boots with their tight jeans, Coach purses and bling, and dine at this greasy Irish joint or the local bar. I should get a job cooking at Renee's so I can plant the piano bug firmly in her ear while I teach her how to make a proper hollandaise sauce.

Page 26 of 51 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (ado, AndreiN, Adam Coleman, ADWyatt, antony, 30 invisible), 1250 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250052 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
25 minutes 34 seconds ago
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission