Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2135954 - 08/20/13 12:02 PM New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard....
RenRen Offline

Hello everyone

I'm Ren and I decided I wanted to start playing piano.

I was inspired by Youtube Starsinger Christina Grimmie (some of you may know her) who sang/played a lot of covers using a piano before starting her own band and writing her own songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcL8zrkBpVQ (this is one of her covers)
She uses a digital keyboard and I found out that she uses a Yamaha PSR 293.

I want to buy one similar to this, I found a Yamaha PSR-E433, is that a good one?
Also, in the video of Grimmie I put above, she has this echo effect while she sings, is that a function of the keyboard?
Echo effect?
Can you plug in a headset to you don't bother others?
And how does a digital keyboard work? You need an adaptor to charge it or something like a mobile phone?

I really want a yamaha keyboard similar to hers :>
Thanks in advance!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2135970 - 08/20/13 12:25 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
kilf Offline

Are you sure that's the keyboard she uses, I did a quick Google and found this

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/wh...31310449559.jpg

Which is a pretty expensive synth Yamaha s90

#2136007 - 08/20/13 01:42 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Kilf, your link got shortened or something...it doesn't work.

Edited by gvfarns (08/20/13 01:44 PM)

#2136034 - 08/20/13 02:18 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like S90... she may use more than one though. smile

#2136077 - 08/20/13 03:41 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: Scott Hamlin]
RenRen Offline

yeah that's a more expensive one but she has a Yamaha PSR-293 when she started and did her covers...she got more expensive later on

#2136080 - 08/20/13 03:45 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: gvfarns]
RenRen Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcL8zrkBpVQ

this should be the link, in this video you hear her beautiful voice and that ECHO like effect, I want to know what it is...is it a function of the keyboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1n2Sj_eKWA

this should show a little of the yamaha, I'm looking for a similar one, a cheap one like 300 EUROS to start,

#2136095 - 08/20/13 04:04 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Ren, I deduce the following;

1 you`re young.

2 You`ve been smitten with that young girl - singer. Who has a wonderful full voice, the most lovely eyes I`ve ever seen, a simple effective playing style, oozes charisma . . . and makes me wish I was 50 years younger . . .

Hope ya get the piano you want!

""

#2136465 - 08/21/13 08:24 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
By the way, I personally think it was a put-up job. She looks like she`s doing this in her house. But the sound of her voice and piano strikes me as being professionally carried out.

""

#2136483 - 08/21/13 09:06 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It depends on the keyboard, some of them allow you to input a mic and use the effects from the keyboard on it. But that is a possibility.

Just because this girl is using a certain instrument doesn't necessarily mean it's the best fit for you. Some things you'll want to answer for yourself before choosing an instrument:

-Do you want a digital piano or a keyboard? They aren't the same. A digital piano is intended to replace an acoustic piano, so most of its functions are geared toward feeling and sounding like a real piano. You will most likely get some other sounds and capabilities with it, and the more you spend, the more bells and whistles you get.

Conversely, a keyboard or synth simply put is more geared toward replacing the need for a band - you get all those bells and whistles - plus tons of other sounds, sometimes sampling capabilities, effects, sequencer, etc. The more you spend on a keyboard or synth, the more options you have. Some synths will even get a nicer full keyboard (88 keys) to feel more like a piano.

-What's your budget?

-How does it feel and sound? You will want to go and play (even if you can't play, you can ask the salesperson to play for you). This will really help determine what suits your needs.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2136572 - 08/21/13 11:38 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: Morodiene]
RenRen Offline

I want a digital piano I think? I saw that Grimmie's piano is small, and portable so I'm looking for one like that.
A small piano portable that produces classic piano music :p
I have 300 euros to spend!
is Yamaha PSR-E-433 good?

#2136577 - 08/21/13 11:45 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
If you want digital piano then PSR is not good. You need hammer action. If we are talking Yamaha:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/
Any PIANO category.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2136631 - 08/21/13 01:52 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: jarosujo]
RenRen Offline

Like aucoustic panios? those are all too large frown and probably too expensive

#2136638 - 08/21/13 02:18 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: RenRen

I'm sure he was primarily referring to the Stage Pianos and Digital Pianos -> Contemporary section on that Yamaha page:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/?mode=series

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/stagepianos/cp/?mode=series

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/arius_series/?mode=series

#2136665 - 08/21/13 03:32 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: xorbe]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: xorbe

I'm sure he was primarily referring to the Stage Pianos and Digital Pianos -> Contemporary section on that Yamaha page:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/?mode=series

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/stagepianos/cp/?mode=series

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/arius_series/?mode=series

And all of those are way out of the 300 Euro range.

Ren: I replied to your thread in the Adult Beginner Forum
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2136670 - 08/21/13 03:39 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yah even the Yamaha P-35 is just over 400 euro msrp. Sorry I missed the cost constraint in the middle of the thread.

#2136728 - 08/21/13 05:19 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
brooster Offline

Loc: Tennessee

#2136886 - 08/22/13 12:46 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
For 300€ there is no digital piano available. Cheapest ones are about 500~600 €. Yamaha P95/P105, Casio PX135/P150. No Kawai or Roland in that price range. Maybe you can try to find used one.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2137248 - 08/22/13 02:46 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: jarosujo]
RenRen Offline

Hmmm 500 euros max then but I'll be visiting a music store in the weekend to ask for some advice and information lol
Hmm a good digital piano for classic music, not too pricy and doesn't require much space... that's pretty much all I'm looking for shocked
btw thanks to everyone for the help and advice so far :>

#2137249 - 08/22/13 02:47 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: xorbe]
RenRen Offline

is Yamaha P35 a good one, one you'd recommend?

#2137250 - 08/22/13 02:47 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: xorbe]
RenRen Offline

what's the difference between stage and digital pianos? I'm a total noob here x_x
I'm just looking for one at home lol

#2137254 - 08/22/13 02:53 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
Mark Weisgram Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
For 300 Euros I would look at the Yamaha P-35.

I am not sure but the P-35 sounds something like an offshoot of the CP-33 sample. At least it is voiced similarly.

On a good day the P-35 can be had for under 400 dollars in the U.S.A.

I like the sound of it and I like the action too.I have been tempted to get one due to the light weight and on board speakers.

#2137288 - 08/22/13 03:35 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
RenRen, there are a few possibilities.

On the Yamaha side you can look at the P35. It has Yamaha's less expensive action and also a less expensive, single layer tone engine. You can get the same action but noticeably better tone engine in the P105, if you can afford it.

On the Casio side there is the PX150, which is quite well-liked and just had a big price drop (at least in the US). The PX135 uses the older, less nice Casio action and probably also has lower-end sounds. I played one the other day at Best Buy and wasn't all that impressed. Though, those were suboptimal circumstances.

"Stage piano" is often used to refer to all slab-style pianos, even if they weren't really meant for stage use. It just means the piano is just a keybed, with no built-in stand to go with it, though there are often optional stands. Slab style pianos are pretty great for portability and don't typically suffer in other areas.

Edited by gvfarns (08/22/13 03:36 PM)

#2137318 - 08/22/13 05:06 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

what's the difference between stage and digital pianos? I'm a total noob here x_x
I'm just looking for one at home lol

There are plenty of folks who use a "stage" piano strictly for home use.. no worries there. Just be aware that some come with built-in speakers and some do not. smile

#2137362 - 08/22/13 06:50 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

what's the difference between stage and digital pianos?

Digital stage pianos only work when raised several feet above the general seating area.

Just kidding! They are usually slabs, no speakers (expected to hook up to a large audio system), a bit more study and heavy, and have knobs/sliders that help real-time adjustments that an on-stage musician may want. (And all control labels are really small or dark, so everyone here can complain about how impossible it is to see them, hahaha.)

They work great at home too! But you generally need headphones or small stereo, and a separate stand.

#2137539 - 08/23/13 04:24 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: xorbe]
LMKawai Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted By: xorbe
Yah even the Yamaha P-35 is just over 400 euro msrp. Sorry I missed the cost constraint in the middle of the thread.

Hi, Yamaha P35 is sold on amazon for 352 euros. I bought one myself yesterday from a music store in Madrid (Spain) for 350 euros.

Quite happy with it, not bad at all, considering I was used to play a Kawai CS6 and my grand. I recommend it! cheap price, IMHO good enough to start learning smile

Regards
Korg microPiano

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/imarpal
Twitter: @imarpal

#2137683 - 08/23/13 11:35 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: peterws]
RenRen Offline

What does 'smitten' mean, I'm not english frown I'm happy to learn xd

#2137694 - 08/23/13 11:56 AM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
What does 'smitten' mean, I'm not english frown I'm happy to learn xd

Smitten is used when you are ..at the beginning of falling in love - when you are "struck" (hit) by an attraction to someone.

To "smite" is an old word. Generally we hear it in references from the bible about God smiting (hitting/destroying) sinners, or we hear of it in references to battles, where the victors smite (defeat, destroy, hit very hard so they suffer a lot) the losers.

Smitten is not often used in those contexts, it is almost always (in my experience) used for the feelings of attraction, great affection, strong interest that start very quickly from first meeting someone.

I was smitten with my husband within half an hour of meeting him.
smile (true story... and I still am!)

#2137708 - 08/23/13 12:32 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: casinitaly]
RenRen Offline

Thanks for exlaining! She's beautiful, has a great personality, talented singer and plays piano...I became I fan I guess and she became...my inspiration :3
I actually always wanted to play either guitar or piano, I decided :3

#2137710 - 08/23/13 12:33 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
RenRen Offline

Another question....how do those digital keyboards work? I mean do you have to charge them like mobile phones or don't they ehm 'run low on power' or something?? if yes, how? what to buy o.o?

#2137807 - 08/23/13 02:56 PM Re: New to piano! Choosing a digital keyboard.... [Re: RenRen]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Most DP's plug in live to a wall outlet. There are a few that run on batteries (I know of a couple from Casio), but hardly any. I don't know of any that have inbuilt rechargeable batteries.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, accordeur, 36251, 29 invisible), 1374 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156220 Topics
2294290 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission