Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
91 registered (Anne'sson, anotherscott, Anita Potter, AndyP, Almaviva, 20 invisible), 1344 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 26 of 32 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#2136543 - 08/21/13 11:14 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I have the Dover, some opuses in the Schirmer's Edition and individual pieces in Edition Peters. I think the Peters has Grieg's own wishes. There's no difference between pedal markings in the Schirmer editions.

Where Grieg wants a deliberate lift as in MM13 & 15 he puts one in. In MM4, 6 and 8 I don't think he wants a deliberate lift just a change before the next pedal.

If you compare other pieces you'll find Grieg often has staccato markings with the pedal full on.

Hat's off to you for taking on the extra load!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2136549 - 08/21/13 11:21 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Schirmer. It was so cheap I'm surprised they included all the notes. But the markings are as yours.

Nokelberg seems to play bar 3 (and similar, LH solo) pedalling twice in the bar leaving only the tiniest breath after the roots, not really staccato. After that, once the melody starts, he plays pedal as written in your copy, giving all the roots an audible light stacatto so he's only using the pedal to join the chord with its following root. He's also playing a lot of the LH chords with a light roll. I really like it but it's not written.

I would definitely do your own thing!

#2136551 - 08/21/13 11:22 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: zrtf90]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
I have the Dover, some opuses in the Schirmer's Edition and individual pieces in Edition Peters. I think the Peters has Grieg's own wishes. There's no difference between pedal markings in the Schirmer editions.

Where Grieg wants a deliberate lift as in MM13 & 15 he puts one in. In MM4, 6 and 8 I don't think he wants a deliberate lift just a change before the next pedal.

If you compare other pieces you'll find Grieg often has staccato markings with the pedal full on.

Hat's off to you for taking on the extra load!

This is what I was thinking, but I had heard a professional recording done where they lifted the pedal. I think he was trying to honor the two-note slur indications over the pedal markings. However, I do believe that pianos back then didn't have as much sustain (although not terribly different from today's piano), so perhaps there would be an audible difference in playing the two-note slurs while pedaling. I may experiment with half-pedaling when I get back to my acoustic piano in 2 weeks to see what works.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2136557 - 08/21/13 11:27 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: dire tonic]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
Schirmer. It was so cheap I'm surprised they included all the notes. But the markings are as yours.

Nokelberg seems to play bar 3 (and similar, LH solo) pedalling twice in the bar leaving only the tiniest breath after the roots, not really staccato. After that, once the melody starts, he plays pedal as written in your copy, giving all the roots an audible light stacatto so he's only using the pedal to join the chord with its following root. He's also playing a lot of the LH chords with a light roll. I really like it but it's not written.

I would definitely do your own thing!
Oh, I love this! The rolled chords are within the style of playing at the time of Grieg, and if you listen to recordings of Grieg playing his own stuff you can hear that in it. I just wasn't able to find Grieg playing this particular piece.

I think the way Nokelberg plays this he does get that sense of the two note slurs, but he is pedaling, so I'm thinking perhaps the half/partial-pedaling idea will work. Thanks!

#2136561 - 08/21/13 11:28 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: WiseBuff]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
I thought we were doing private youtube. The 3rd party content shouldn't come up then should it? Peter, I could use the refresher "step by step" on uploading if you have one handy. I use youtube so infrequently that I have to relearn each time.

Unlisted, not private. (Private only shows to specific people you've invited. Unlisted shows to anyone who has the URL, but doesn't show up in Youtube searches.)

#2136565 - 08/21/13 11:34 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: casinitaly]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Originally Posted By: Dipsy
ALL HANDS ON DECK PLEASE! WE NEED YOU!

Beric, who was to do 5 pieces, and had them ready to be recorded had to have an emergency operation on his right hand yesterday and won't be able to take part in the recital (unless he plays just the left hand parts!!)

We now need homes for FIVE pieces, so any of you looking on from the sidelines who wanted to take part, but found that nothing suitable was left, - here' your chance to be a hero/heroine

The pieces are:

OPUS 43 no 1 - Butterfly (its a beauty)
OPUS 54 no 1 - Shepherd's Boy
OPUS 57 no4 - Secret
OPUS 62 no 4 - Brooklet
OPUS 68 no 6 - Melancholy Waltz.

We've become a strong supportive community over the last few months - but now its being tested as never before. Lets show how a band of disparate piano players scattered across the globe, can come together as a team as never before to face the challenge.

(Winston Churchill eat your heart out - 'we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them in their privvies (no, not really - just cracking up!)...... )

Oh no! Please let Beric know that I'm praying for his speedy recovery!

I was just thinking last night that the more of these Grieg pieces I do, the more I enjoy playing them. I was also thinking that I have worked on 8 lyric pieces (including ones I had played prior to this recital), and that it would be kind of cool to try to play and record them all over a period of a year or something. So I'm happy to help where needed. The only concern is that I'm moving back to FL next weekend, so that will be a few days without any practice. Still, I think I can help out.

These are all tricky pieces, though. I can do Butterfly and Brooklet. smile

BUTTERFLY AND BROOKLET Going once, going twice, GONE to the lady in Florida!

THANK YOU Morodiene!!!!!

Remaining pieces:
OPUS 54 no 1 - Shepherd's Boy
OPUS 57 no4 - Secret
OPUS 68 no 6 - Melancholy Waltz.

I'll tackle the Melancholy Waltz.

And if for some reason Morodiene decides she can't do the Butterfly, I can record it as well since I already have it memorized. grin

#2136570 - 08/21/13 11:38 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Morodiene]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
The rolled chords are within the style of playing at the time of Grieg, and if you listen to recordings of Grieg playing his own stuff you can hear that in it.

Interesting, I hadn't realised it was a style thing. I'd certainly heard Nokelberg doing the roll here and there in other pieces. He's sometimes a bit too brisk but I love the way he plays Grieg.

#2136575 - 08/21/13 11:42 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: carey]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

I'll tackle the Melancholy Waltz.

that's good news carey, I'd offered myself up as understudy so you've saved me a job.

Quote:

And if for some reason Morodiene decides she can't do the Butterfly, I can record it as well since I already have it memorized. grin

- I was only thinking, it's such a popular piece, there could be a queue forming...

#2136589 - 08/21/13 12:07 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

thanks everyone for your kind words. Dad is chomping at the bit and so frustrated to be unable to play - he's fine apart from his right hand. I will pass on what you say to him and I think he'd be very touched by your good wishes.

Morodiene - thank you so much for taking on so many pieces to help us.

Off to check out shepherd's boy and secret to see if I can help...

Edited by Dipsy (08/21/13 12:14 PM)

#2136607 - 08/21/13 12:50 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: carey]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: carey

Maybe keep it in your fingers just in case it's not up to snuff by the time the deadline hits! smile

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
Interesting, I hadn't realised it was a style thing. I'd certainly heard Nokelberg doing the roll here and there in other pieces. He's sometimes a bit too brisk but I love the way he plays Grieg.
I agree I'm not fond of his tempo choices, a bit too fast so you lose some of the nuances of the harmonies and makes it sounds a bit on the frantic side.

#2136737 - 08/21/13 05:37 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Am very sorry to say that I've looked over both of the last 2 pieces - shepherd's boy and secret and I don't feel able to do either one (unless I get Beric to play the left hand while I play the right - and even then I don't think it would be pretty. When I suggested this though, he just laughed at the idea).

Can any of you do it? Or if you can't, can you put your thinking caps on and ask around please? We are so near (again) to getting the full set, and we've already overcome several setbacks. To get this far and at the last moment have to appeal to those outside ABF to bale us out would be such a shame...

Edited by Dipsy (08/21/13 05:39 PM)

#2136740 - 08/21/13 05:44 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Ok, I'll take the plunge and apply for "Shepherd's Boy".
I listened to a YouTube recording and didn't hear much of the music.
But it sounded more accessible to me than "Secret".

The deadline is September 10th, right? That means less than three weeks. A real challenge. But fortunately, the Scherzo op.54/5 wasn't that hard.
Maybe I'll do a recording of the Scherzo this weekend, so I can focus on the shepherd...

#2136761 - 08/21/13 06:30 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
And I'll take the plunge and do "Secret." Should sound fine on my piano.

smile

#2136780 - 08/21/13 07:14 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Wonderful, thank you patH and carey.

#2136785 - 08/21/13 07:24 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
There y`are, Dipsey! A result already! Back on track . . . ."I hear that train a`comin`, Coming down the track . . "The Grieg Special" AND it`s on time! How good`s that??

""

#2136905 - 08/22/13 02:21 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I am amazed at how quickly Beric's pieces were rescued!!!

Three cheers for Morodiene, PatH and Carey!

#2136938 - 08/22/13 04:38 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Oh, what a shame, they're all taken eh? I would have taken 2 or 3 myself... smokin

grin

#2136939 - 08/22/13 04:38 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Here, here- thank you PatH, Carey and Morodiene (again) - I love you guys!

That is such a relief, and Dad will be delighted. Peter, I think I can hear 'The Grieg Special' train coming as well (but shhhhhhh.....I don't want to tempt fate...)!

#2137692 - 08/23/13 11:53 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Dipsy]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Had my first lesson of the fall yesterday, and I played "Gade" for my teacher. I've been learning it totally on my own - turns out that wasn't such a good thing.

So I have wrong notes in a chord. A big one - in fact, it's right at the climax near the end. This has happened to me before - I blame it on my tired old eyes. The chord I was playing sounded reasonable, but close is not good enough I guess.

And I've already recorded it - so I'll have to try and re-record if I have time.

Sam

#2137730 - 08/23/13 01:11 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I feel your pain.

I got what I thought was a good (and final) take on my Op. 38. Afterward, I listened to some pro recordings for comparison. I have the right tempo, I prefer my version to some ..... and then I heard it .... I added a rest where one isn't. I had lengthened a measure by a beat. Oooops.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2137737 - 08/23/13 01:18 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Piano*Dad]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
I feel your pain.

I got what I thought was a good (and final) take on my Op. 38. Afterward, I listened to some pro recordings for comparison. I have the right tempo, I prefer my version to some ..... and then I heard it .... I added a rest where one isn't. I had lengthened a measure by a beat. Oooops.

I say...Leave it! (We can have a contest to see if anyone can actually spot it! smile )

Sam.... how infuriating - but you can get it sorted out - there's still a great chunk of time available!

#2137895 - 08/23/13 06:11 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Piano*Dad]
Morodiene Offline

I feel your pain.

We call that a "dramatic pause". wink

#2137904 - 08/23/13 06:24 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Sam S]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Had my first lesson of the fall yesterday, and I played "Gade" for my teacher. I've been learning it totally on my own - turns out that wasn't such a good thing.

So I have wrong notes in a chord. A big one - in fact, it's right at the climax near the end. This has happened to me before - I blame it on my tired old eyes. The chord I was playing sounded reasonable, but close is not good enough I guess.

And I've already recorded it - so I'll have to try and re-record if I have time.

Sam

I can relate to this.

I learned the Scherzo op.54/5 also on my own, and last week decided to listen to the recording posted here. Eye-opening result: I have learned two false notes at places where you can hear them, and a missed repetition. Luckily I have not made the recording yet.

Edited by patH (08/23/13 06:25 PM)

#2138009 - 08/23/13 11:11 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Piano*Dad]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I feel your pain.

Well, if you listen to the recording first, you might never have a go . .some of the Grieg pieces are mental . . .if you miss some notes in one piece, put some extra in the next. Who can stop you? Nobody`d know . . .!

""

#2138012 - 08/23/13 11:15 PM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: zrtf90]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"If you compare other pieces you'll find Grieg often has staccato markings with the pedal full on."

I wondered about that. And then assumed they had no word in Norwegian appropriating to "Middle Pedal" What an excuse if I ever needed one!

Middle pedal - Full on!

""

#2138105 - 08/24/13 05:33 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

I have a satisfactory recording!!!

I think that in the future I may be able to better, but ...I have to say I'm pretty pleased with this result.

whew! What a relief!

Does anyone else feel a different stress in this recital than in the others? In the ordinary recitals I feel like - ok, this is me and I hope I'm better than last time.
For this recital I've been feeling - yikes, I hope I am not going to let the team down!

Anyway... it's a done deal now.

I will work on the video later- I've got some fun ideas smile

#2138108 - 08/24/13 05:52 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: Rostosky]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Definitely, I felt some pressure for this recital. Well everybody knows my level, but still I didn't want to put out something intolerable and unlistenable, especially since I had three months to prepare it.

#2138162 - 08/24/13 09:21 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: sinophilia]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Yes I think there definitely was a feeling of pressure to do the best possible for this themed recital. The other reality is though, that a lot of people were pushed outside their comfort level by the pieces they had chosen. That make it even more of a struggle to get a recording that one is happy with!

Just like the quarterly recitals, though, this is just an example of where each of us is at in our piano journeys. The results may not sound like the pros, but I think we each put forth our best effort!

I have both of my pieces recorded, and I am happy with the results. In time they might be better, but they represent my skill level at this time. Both pieces turned out to be great learning experiences!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2138176 - 08/24/13 09:37 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: SwissMS]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Yes I think there definitely was a feeling of pressure to do the best possible for this themed recital. The other reality is though, that a lot of people were pushed outside their comfort level by the pieces they had chosen. That make it even more of a struggle to get a recording that one is happy with!

Just like the quarterly recitals, though, this is just an example of where each of us is at in our piano journeys. The results may not sound like the pros, but I think we each put forth our best effort!

I have both of my pieces recorded, and I am happy with the results. In time they might be better, but they represent my skill level at this time. Both pieces turned out to be great learning experiences!

I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Though my piece is one of the simplest in the collection, there were bits that were tricky for me --- there were moments when I thought I wouldn't be able to do it! So what is great fun is that yes, it is a reflection of what I can do "now". But what I can do now is a lot more than I could do when I took on this piece!

(My husband noted that he liked my new ability to play so delicately and then so dramatically! )

I feel right chuffed about this and I am hoping to play for a "physically present" audience in the near future when we have friends over!

#2138177 - 08/24/13 09:39 AM Re: Grieg recital: Proposal..... [Re: casinitaly]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I have a satisfactory recording!!!

I think that in the future I may be able to better, but ...I have to say I'm pretty pleased with this result.

whew! What a relief!

Does anyone else feel a different stress in this recital than in the others? In the ordinary recitals I feel like - ok, this is me and I hope I'm better than last time.
For this recital I've been feeling - yikes, I hope I am not going to let the team down!

Anyway... it's a done deal now.

I will work on the video later- I've got some fun ideas smile
I'm al most ready to record two of my 5 pieces. It's just a debate I have going on with myself if I can wait a bit longer and do it better, but I have the other 3 that would be nice to focus on. One piece the memory is a bit off in one section so I'd really like to solidify that, but playing-wise I may be able to get a good take.

The other thing is I only have my digital right now to record on, so for the sound I may want to use a VST (software piano sound) instead of what I have. Of course, I could do that and then if I'm not happy with it I could try again when I return to my acoustic grand....so many decisions to make!

But as far as being stressed out, I really like having the deadline. It forces me to work a piece to performance level and really motivates me to stretch myself.

Page 26 of 32 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 32 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
11/27/14 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159409 Topics
2341664 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission