Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2136896 - 08/22/13 01:28 AM Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......)
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
(But not if you don't enjoy hearing something for the 100,000,000,000th time.) grin

I like it. smile

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2136917 - 08/22/13 03:23 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Here's the details about the Doodle: http://www.google.com/doodles/claude-debussys-151st-birthday

They wanted a MIDI recording of it in order to sync up the visuals (I guess they didn't want to go through the effort of licensing a recording and manually marking each played note in order to make the visuals). The performance is from the Doodle creator's sister.

It's an interesting way of exposing your performance to the whole world...

#2136918 - 08/22/13 03:28 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Sweet.... I wondered about the windmill though... Do you suppose it is meant to be the Moulin Rouge? smile

#2136919 - 08/22/13 03:30 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
with todays technology they could actually stick a machine on an acoustic piano, which would capture the midi part (for sync purposes) while at the same time playing and recording a real acoustic piano... guess they didn't think of that...

But I can't say the performance or the sound is really bad. Just a bit untreated I guess.

#2136923 - 08/22/13 03:46 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
But I can't say the performance or the sound is really bad....

It's pretty bad. ha

I almost said something about it myself. (I didn't know it wasn't 'real playing' and wondered why they didn't get a better performance.)

#2136941 - 08/22/13 04:47 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Nikolas]
Allan W. Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
with todays technology they could actually stick a machine on an acoustic piano, which would capture the midi part (for sync purposes) while at the same time playing and recording a real acoustic piano... guess they didn't think of that...

But I can't say the performance or the sound is really bad. Just a bit untreated I guess.

That's true. They could have found a local performing pianist who would probably be willing to make a recording for free if they were somehow associated with the #2 website in the world showing their performance. The only cost would have been renting a player piano that could export MIDI and recording it.

A lot more effort than asking your sister to play it, but it seems like it'd be worth it for something that will probably get played at least a few hundred thousand times...

Edited by Allan W. (08/22/13 04:54 AM)

#2137135 - 08/22/13 12:32 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
The performance is awful. In fact, I experience a real disconnect juxtaposing the beautiful, subtle visuals and the tin-ear horrendous audio. It's not too much of a surprise, I guess: the team that works on Google doodles are mostly graphic artists. Sill, I wish they'd asked for my advice. smile

-J

#2137142 - 08/22/13 12:39 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Clair de lune without overtones, oh my!!!!

#2137152 - 08/22/13 12:50 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: beet31425]
Allan W. Offline

Originally Posted By: beet31425
The performance is awful. In fact, I experience a real disconnect juxtaposing the beautiful, subtle visuals and the tin-ear horrendous audio. It's not too much of a surprise, I guess: the team that works on Google doodles are mostly graphic artists. Sill, I wish they'd asked for my advice. smile

Luckily most people can't tell smile

Look at the comments here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...ce-8778892.html

"I wonder that nobody's yet wondered who's performance artistry is represented here. It's elegant and simple, and, I think, one of the better renditions. I'd love to find out who's playing!"

"Well I wasn't planning on crying at 3am this morning, but the valves turned on by themselves with each string that was pulled.

Beautiful music, not regretting the emotional response.
Thank you Google."

"How utterly beautiful!"

"Utterly Beautiful, definitely the best and most wonderful doodle so far"

"that's not a "clair du lune" at all.. pls learn your songs before you insult people with actual musical knowledge."

"Shame they couldn't license a decent performance"

#2137166 - 08/22/13 01:08 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
I don't really care how "bad" the performance is, I love the concept and its realization.

So there! smile

Regards,

#2137228 - 08/22/13 02:27 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: BruceD]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: BruceD
I don't really care how "bad" the performance is, I love the concept and its realization.

So there! smile

Regards,

Yeah, me to!
It's even better, while it's no perfet, because it will soound better on computer speaker. We hould be happy because of that idea!

#2137231 - 08/22/13 02:30 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
SBP Offline

Well I thought it was a good performance >_>

#2137241 - 08/22/13 02:38 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Wrong notes, choppy phrasing. I don't know if it's the midi's fault or the player's. If I was the one in charge of this little animation, however, I would have continued onward through the B section (instead of stopping) and would have made the rain gradually come in while the B section started playing. But hey, it's only for a day!

#2137446 - 08/22/13 09:57 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: JoelW
Wrong notes, choppy phrasing. I don't know if it's the midi's fault or the player's. If I was the one in charge of this little animation, however, I would have continued onward through the B section (instead of stopping) and would have made the rain gradually come in while the B section started playing. But hey, it's only for a day!

But... who cares about correct notes, or correct phrasing? Maybe, this is how the performer FEELS about the work. Maybe they feel the notes they played better serve the work. The score, after all, is just a guideline, no?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2137450 - 08/22/13 10:02 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: JoelW

But... who cares about correct notes, or correct phrasing? Maybe, this is how the performer FEELS about the work. Maybe they feel the notes they played better serve the work. The score, after all, is just a guideline, no?

Then in my opinion, they have horrible taste. grin

But to maybe clear up some confusion.. I don't think the score is something that you can change drastically, I think it should be followed close to 100% of the time. It's just that I think it's permissible to add a personal touch to a small detail if one's artistic compass leads them to it. I can provide examples of what I mean. Examples that are played by world class, highly revered musicians. Take a look at these examples:

Ballade 4, Horowitz. 8: 42 - changes the F#(Gb?) to a regular F, completely changing the character of the chord. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFKmVWXvwI#t=8m42s

Scherzo 4, Bunin. 9:25 - plays a grace note into a block chord. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8X1Rs_LNeQ#t=9m25s

We all know what Gould does with the trill in the 16th prelude - it's not even a trill anymore. Those might as well be written out notes.

I also know a certain violinist plays unwritten arpeggiation in the Bach Chaconne, but I don't know who it is.

Edited by JoelW (08/22/13 10:33 PM)

#2137481 - 08/22/13 11:53 PM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
It seems to me that some of you are so far off the mark on this, criticizing this snippet as though it were a public performance. It's just a geek (or a nerd) reminding the (very) general public that today is Debussy's birthday.

Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is? I mean, it's just a "Google Doodle"!

#2137484 - 08/23/13 12:06 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
It seems to me that some of you are so far off the mark on this, criticizing this snippet as though it were a public performance. It's just a geek (or a nerd) reminding the (very) general public that today is Debussy's birthday.

Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is? I mean, it's just a "Google Doodle"!

I can see it both ways.
In fact I do see it both ways. smile

I was thrilled to see this.
But I also wondered why they couldn't have used a better, more Debussyesque rendition, not just for the sake of "better" but because, after all, they're trying to show what Debussy was. As it is, it's just "this is Claire de lune, which is a piece by Debussy" -- but not much showing what Debussy was.

#2137485 - 08/23/13 12:12 AM Re: Hey, check out today's Google logo! (But not if......) [Re: Mark_C]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
because, believe it or not, Google is made up of geeks, and computer adults (<- new term. Not sure what I mean by this). Even a company as big as google can miss a concept of a better recording, or how to actually make one.

It's not like google doodle represents the whole of google.com. It's like in the movies where they say that the opinion of actors, blah blah, doesn't represent the company... silly, but that's what it is.

A couple of people made this doodle, they contacted the artist and did a recording with which they were satisfied. We at piano world have a different taste (and apparently so do people in facebook! grin).

But the point is well served. And everyone's talking about Debussy now! smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, aesop, Atrys, 39 invisible), 1305 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156852 Topics
2304688 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
3 minutes 38 seconds ago
Cardboard shim for loose pin. Anybody heared about it's
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
Sheet music question
by Coconutyoghurt
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Smelly MP11 (or MP7)?
by rungabic
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
Yesterday at 10:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission