Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2136920 - 08/22/13 03:33 AM Spanish pianist faces 7-year prison petition for 8 hr/day pr
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
A bit absurd? Although I'd be pretty pissed if I can clearly hear my neighbor practice 8 hours a day and would not try to compromise. That's why I play on my digital piano most of the time and move over to the grand when the piece is somewhat tolerable to listen to...

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.es%2F2013%2F08%2F20%2Fcarcel-pianista_n_3784646.html&act=url

Google translate:

Quote:
Playing the piano eight hours a day five days a week can lead to a prison sentence. That has happened to a pianist of Girona, for whom The prosecution has asked seven and a half in jail for disturbing the sound to a neighbor.

The trial Puigcerdà pianist Laia M., accused of crimes against the environment by noise and mental injuries, for molesting a neighbor with the sound of the instrument, will begin on November 11 in the Court of Girona, has informed Europa Press your lawyer.

According to the tax qualification, pianist and performer who was then 26 years-and that officials were studying music-playing the instrument in 2003 at his home five days a week, from 9.00 to 13.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00 hours, without the soundproof room where he was rehearsing.

Girona's Procuratorate held that exceeded the instrument sound "maximum immission" permitted by law, and therefore requested a sentence of seven years and a half in prison for piano, four more of ineligibility to play the instrument to Laia M . and their parents, a fine of 10,000 euros and 9,900 compensation.

The neighbor complained in March 2006 to the pianist and his family before the City Council because he resented the constant sound of the piano, after which the council four times visited the family to insonorizaran within 15 days of the instrument room , some requirements which were rejected.

A consequence of the "noise" of the piano, the neighbor asked off work for mental injuries such as anxiety, sleep disorders and panic episodes, plus gestation problems in the last months of pregnancy.

According to the lawyer of Laia M. Europa Press, it is "a mistake" because you can not consider the sound of a piano as a source of noise pollution damaging the environment, as would be the noise of a nightclub or airport.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2136924 - 08/22/13 03:52 AM Re: Spanish pianist faces 7-year prison petition for 8 hr/day pr [Re: Allan W.]
pianorigami Online   sleepy

Loc: United States
Yes, I'd agree that is disgusting. We need to practice!! Sound blankets could help, and probably fit the bill, but the charges against the pianist are shameful and sad. I'm pretty sure most pianists can't afford to soundproof their practice room, nor can they just move whenever (nor should anybody!).
3) Prokofiev Sonata Op. 83
4) Bach Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, WTC II
5) Grieg Concerto Op. 16, 1st Movement

#2137053 - 08/22/13 09:47 AM Re: Spanish pianist faces 7-year prison petition for 8 hr/day pr [Re: Allan W.]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here she is playing:

Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2137062 - 08/22/13 10:01 AM Re: Spanish pianist faces 7-year prison petition for 8 hr/day pr [Re: Allan W.]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for the name. I found an English article with additional information:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/12/24/spain-piano-practice-prison.html

Quote:
A Spanish prosecutor's office has conceded that the customary 7 1/2 year prison sentence for noise pollution may be too harsh for a pianist who practised at home.

The office for the northeastern region of Catalonia said in a statement released late Friday that it was studying a request for a partial pardon for 26-year-old Laia Martin, a professional musician, given that a "prison sentence could be considered overly stringent."

The office had recommended prison earlier in the week after a neighbour — referred to as Sonia B. in the prosecutor's statement — said noise from Martin's five-days-a-week, eight-hour practice sessions had left her with psychological damage, subjected her to great stress and even temporarily forced her to move out.

Martin told reporters gathered outside her house that the neighbour was exaggerating. No musician, however serious, practised eight hours a day, she said.

Marc Molins, the musician's lawyer, said the penalty originally sought by prosecutors "should be reserved for very serious and offensive conduct."

The prosecutor's office had also originally demanded Martin be banned for four years from any profession that uses a piano.

That last part is pretty ridiculous... I guess they wanted to be extremely punitive by killing this person's livelihood.

#2137070 - 08/22/13 10:16 AM Re: Spanish pianist faces 7-year prison petition for 8 hr/day pr [Re: Allan W.]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It seems as if they're asking for the 7 years, not that she's truly facing such a thing. And from the original article, which didn't translate terribly well, apparently they were supposed to have soundproofed the room if she was going to practice at a level significantly above the legal noise limit. They didn't do that.

They might not have been able to afford to soundproof the room, but at the same time, they had enough money to buy her a piano and pursue the career, certainly they can understand the necessity of the professional expense of finding her practice space somewhere if it's become clear that the "train at home" plan isn't working for reasons of living in a densely populated apartment complex.

My au pair is from around there and speaks Català, which is the language of the region where this dispute is taking place (I speak Spanish, but not Català), and we looked up a few more things about it and she summed it up thusly: "that is one crazy neighbor. But that family really dug their heels in when they didn't have to."

Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2137207 - 08/22/13 01:55 PM Re: Spanish pianist faces 7-year prison petition for 8 hr/day pr [Re: Allan W.]
Joey Townley Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Remind me never to visit Spain. perhaps all this publicity will put her into the limelight once this ridiculous verdict is thrown out. Reminds me a little of the Amanda Knox thing.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, 29 invisible), 1495 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293026 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Yesterday at 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
Yesterday at 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
Yesterday at 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission