Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2136953 - 08/22/13 05:21 AM Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998
Isaac Sandy Offline

Loc: Coconut Creek, FL
Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer to Piano World, primarily on here to gain insight into purchasing a Kawai. There have been tons of useful information in the forums. My thanks go out to those of you who posted helpful material!

I'm a singer in the South Florida area looking to upgrade from my simple Kranich and Bach to a Kawai RX-2 or RX-3. I know they're being snatched up and have been keeping an eye out for one manufactured after 2002 (which, I believe is where the newer millennium action series starts?). I would consider a new one if the price was right but hopeful to find used.

I've been in touch with a piano dealer who has a factory reconditioned RX-3, 1998 from Kawai for <$11k. I feel the dealer is reputable, small town, Central states area (probably why not asking more). Comes with a guarantee if not satisfied. Wanted to know if anyone felt this is a good price for this model year, provided it's in good condition, yada yada. "OR" do you feel I should hold out hoping for a newer model with the millennium action that "might" be reasonably priced (based on what I'm reading $14k or higher???).

I appreciate your expertise and input since I'm clueless and need direction smile And apologize in advance if I've asked something repetitive to another posting.

Thanks,
Isaac

Edited by Isaac Sandy (08/22/13 05:28 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2136991 - 08/22/13 07:42 AM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
Joe Muscara Offline

Loc: Houston
OT: I'd like to know about your Kranich and Bach, as I have one as well. If you'd prefer to not take this thread off-topic, send me a PM and we can exchange details about them.

#2136996 - 08/22/13 07:49 AM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
Isaac Sandy Offline

PM headed your way now....

#2137069 - 08/22/13 10:16 AM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Hi Isaac, welcome to the Forum! Just fyi, Kawai introduced the Millennium 3 action in 2004.

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#2137251 - 08/22/13 02:50 PM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: M.O.P.]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hello Isaac,
I would advise you to consider the 1998 Kawai RX3 primarily on its sound, touch response and general condition rather than whether or not it has the Millenium III action. Every RX3 will be a little different and especially with used pianos, the condition of the piano, its qualities as a musical instrument and of course the price, would be for me, the most important considerations.

The RX3 is an excellent piano and given sensible humidity control, is a most stable piano in tuning and is a delight to play.

Robert.

#2137256 - 08/22/13 02:55 PM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Kawai does not do any "factory reconditioning". Be wary of whoever told you so.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2137299 - 08/22/13 04:07 PM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
hey Issac,

There's some Kawai tech manuals out there that walk techs through voicing the RX series. Robert45 turned me on to those. Now I'm going to plug him here a second because he helped me tremendously how to understand the RX sound. I think he has a very special insight to these models. He can articulate, better than anyone I've spoken to, what's going on with them. He and his tech have gone to great lengths, over many months (years?) to obtain the voicing for his RX. I had my tech read the emails Robert45 sent me, just so we would be on the same page as they are.....lol. In your thread, you asked for expertice, he gets my vote in that arena.

As for pricing, it's all over the place. There's so many factors to consider being the RX line is going away. Your observation confirms my theory; there's more than a few people wanting to snatch the last new ones from dealers. You did catch what Steve said, the factory doesn't recondition pianos. A new one has a blank warranty card, period.

You've done your homework and realize that after 04 you'll get the millenium action which seems most desirable. Several of us recently purchased RX's and I believe everyone is happy (including owners who've had them for some time now).

Happy hunting and keep us posted. If there's anything you would like to ask me offline, feel free to PM, it's no bother........blob

#2137486 - 08/23/13 12:15 AM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
The Millennium-III actions went into production in the RX grands in 2004. Most people with experience playing them do agree that they perform better and are just nicer feeling, so there is validity in looking for one.

The Kawai factory does not do reconditioning. Kawai America sometimes does repair and recondition shipping damaged pianos and such, but these are only sold through authorized Kawai dealers in the US or Canada. So if the dealer you are working with is an authorized Kawai dealer, their claim could be valid. But do check on the Kawai America web site to verify!

Good luck - it is not easy to find a particular brand and model used, but they are out there. And do resist the temptation to buy a used piano without playing it and having it checked! There are too many risks involved - wait for the right piano to come available in your area, or ask you Kawai dealer to check into whether any repaired pianos are available from Kawai.

#2137491 - 08/23/13 12:30 AM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, I'm also a noob here, but assuming that RX-3 is in excellent shape, doesn't have any weird history, < $11K seems like a pretty good price, if not very good price. I found a 2006'ish RX-2 for $10K which was on my short list when I was buying.

It sounds like you're buying this online from another state without seeing it first?

#2137494 - 08/23/13 12:42 AM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Don Mannino speaks wise words here - I'd suggest heeding them... smile
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2137832 - 08/23/13 03:45 PM Re: Considering a Kawai RX-3 1998 [Re: Isaac Sandy]
Isaac Sandy Offline

Everyone, you have been awesome! I appreciate your courtesy in giving VERY helpful advice. I'm in no hurry so I'm going to hold a bit on this due the "recondition" statement the company made. I'm hopeful, however, an RX2 or 3 will pop up at some point in the coming months for under $13k, which is what I have saved to make this happen.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll check back in on this at some point.

All my best!
Isaac

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (acortot, 36251, a-z0-9, accordeur, 45 invisible), 1619 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156071 Topics
2291896 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
07/22/14 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
07/22/14 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
07/22/14 08:03 PM
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
07/22/14 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
07/22/14 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission